• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Numbers 12, why only Mariam and not Aaron?

Asforme&myhouse

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Mariam became a leper amd was placed outside the camp for speaking against Moses, but Aaron was not, why? Was Mariam's sin more egregious because she was a woman rebelling against God's authority structure, or did she instigate the rebellion and Aaron just went along?

This is a fascinating story. If God was against polygyny it seems that He would have been angry with Moses, not Mariam and Aaron.

Thoughts?

I studied a bit on this today, and it seems that the word "spoke" (וַתְּדַבֵּ֨ר) is feminine, so it may be that the passage is better translated something like "Miriam spoke to Aaron against Moses ...". I do not know Hebrew, and at best I am trying to piece this together with commentary from others, so I could be way off base.

I've always been interested in God's favor towards Aaron. He was the one who made an idol and told the people to worship it. Yet his children are the high priests and we never hear of Moses' offspring again.

If I remember correctly. There is a rabbinical tradition the descendants of Moses were taken up into a cloud and transported to a Shangri-La of sorts possibly even in the same mountains. And this was supposed to be happening so that when they are found or brought to light again they are the example for the rest of the world to show how bad we've gone astray. Really straining for recollections here but I believe a river of Leaping stones that rest on the Sabbath was also part of it.

Numbers 12

Back