• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Attending Church as biblical family believers

Soldier4Jesus

Real Person
Male
We recently moved and are now seeking a church to join. We feel it is important as Christians to attend church every week so we can be in community with other Christians and enjoy hearing the Word of God. The rub is pretty much every Church we try has a worldly and non-biblical view against Christian plural marriage. We know this is not supported by true scripture, but nonetheless we still want to go to church somewhere. What do you all do?

We attend Church on the Couch. It’s a very small tight knit family of believers that love to be together and we’ve been having phenomenal growth evidenced in our relationship with God.

We also occasionally visit other families of believers as the opportunity arises. After reading Pagan Christianity, what we thought was church became intolerable and extremely distasteful to us.

I am generally on the road somewhere so we do a fellowship of the couch/phone that includes another couple, also via phone.

We were blessed and relieved to receive the left foot of fellowship from the group that we had been obligatorily attending.

We recently moved and are now seeking a church to join. We feel it is important as Christians to attend church every week so we can be in community with other Christians and enjoy hearing the Word of God. The rub is pretty much every Church we try has a worldly and non-biblical view against Christian plural marriage. We know this is not supported by true scripture, but nonetheless we still want to go to church somewhere. What do you all do?

I suggest finding a small group of believers to meet with in homes... or just have a family Bible study... also I encourage you to do a bible study both old and New Testament on the definition of the word translated into English as “church”

A whole thread of great perspectives!

This morning talking with hubby I was telling him that I see advantages now to us NOT having a church to attend. Honestly I have usually missed the singing and worship the most, but I have learned from many a sermon even years after I heard it too. (And attended church a few times to see what I wasn't missing)

We seek for true and relevant information of the sort that makes us free. In our life we see our paths are determined, and God directs us. He introduces us to people, and we all learn and are blessed in our lives. "The Spirit shows up" is a great way to put it @PeteR and when we work to honor our Father God in life, we see that happen.

The sad thing is, like the answer to the question asked by the Oak Ridge Boys "Would they love him down in Shreeveport today" many churchgoers wouldn't recognize the teachings of Christ if he stood behind the pulpit on Sunday and told them in modern English what he taught his disciples.

To belong to a denomination is a bit like getting your perspective on world events from one news station. While in contrast to NOT have a denomination means that you are more open to the truth in every place you find it, and more aware of the false teachings in all too. My lds family are told what to do and teach their children, how to interpret scripture and think about the world by "salt lake." Denominations are like "Fishing for truth in a puddle compared to fishing for truth in the ocean." To quote my dear husband.
I second his observation.

you're right in that fellowship is important and theological perfection is not a standard for fellowship.
I agree and disagree, I belong to two congregations, a Messianic and Pentecostal-ish denomination and teach at both. I'm constantly banging my head against man made traditions being taught as the word of Elohim. Some of them are in direct conflict with scripture. Its not the denomination I value but the fellowship and the chance to open up the minds of others and get them to dive into scripture regardless if they end up in agreeance with me or not.

We attend a mainstream Pentecostal church and a Hebrew Roots Church on Saturdays. They are obviously not pro polygamy but I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. Trying to find a church that agrees with you 100% is like finding a Church without a few hypocrites in the pews. Don't let it stop you would be my advice.

Someone said in an earlier post, Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

We just recently resigned as worship leader of a denominational church and are now attending another denominational church. In both churches, they had things we liked/needed and the rest was dirty bath water (voids). To fill the void, we began a Friday night praise and worship in our home. Inviting people that want a time of fellowship and praise and worship. Started on Friday evening to start the Sabath in worship. Like @Soldier's Psalm said, we’re not going to find 100% at a church, but as the Bible says,

Hebrews 10:25 King James Version (KJV)
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Yesterday, I changed out the lower ball joints on my daughters car and got filthy. But, we take care of our daughters and ignore how filthy we get. So, in the church, I can deal with a little dirty bath water.

I think the question I struggle with is what happens when it isnt a difference of opinion but of action? I dont foresee any church letting me come with both of my women... :(

Yup I agree... whatever “church” someone chooses to attend I suggest that you don’t get overly attached because you will likely be extended the “left foot of fellowship” when they learn about your views on marriage. Or at least when you actually put those views into practice...

I think the question I struggle with is what happens when it isnt a difference of opinion but of action? I dont foresee any church letting me come with both of my women... :(
Go, don't flaunt it, but walk in truth and be prepared to knock the dust off your shoes, or, start/find a home fellowship.

The baby bath water analogy isn't adding up in my scattered brain.
Bathwater means the baby got cleaned. Sounds like the bathwater some places is full of a lot of doctrines of man. If the wash water is too dirty can it clean at all?
We get better at identifying the foreign stuff in the water as we grow in understanding....and look for cleaner water.
Leaving some denominations might be more like taking the baby (you?) Out of the mud puddle....or is it leaving the babies that like the mud where they are happy?
Maybe you upgrade to a bigger puddle with cleaner water until you can handle swimming in the ocean?

The term brainwashed should mean a clean brain..... mine is a little foggy here.

Well, where did y'all move to? Perhaps someone here knows of or is a local community?

If you want to see God show up in power in your fellowship, commit to two things.

1. Find a couple of friends and get your families together once a week in somebody's home for prayer and praise together. If you don't have any friends, just lead your family. But once a week get together with someone for the sole purpose of sharing Christ together as a body (that's praying for each other and praising God together, often eating a meal together; not much teaching required for grownup men, and the men are teaching their women and children at home, right?).

2. One other time a week, take your little ragtag group and go do something to share Christ together with the world. Get out in your community as a squad and do something that makes people's lives better. Don't preach or pass out tracts or try to convince people to come to your church (what church? we don't need no stinkin buildings...). Just find a place to be of service and "be ready to give an answer". Consider the recovery community's tagline "attraction, not promotion", and get out in the community and be the people other people look to for advice because they like you and trust you.

Try that for a couple of months and then report back here how it went.

If you want to see God show up in power in your fellowship, commit to two things.

1. Find a couple of friends and get together once a week in somebody's home for prayer and praise together. If you don't have any friends, just lead your family. But once a week get together with someone for the sole purpose of sharing Christ together as a body (that's praying for each other and praising God together, often eating a meal together; not much teaching required for grownup men, and the men are teaching their women and children at home, right?).

2. One other time a week, take your little ragtag group and go do something to share Christ together with the world. Get out in your community as a squad and do something that makes people's lives better. Don't preach or pass out tracts or try to convince people to come to your church (what church? we don't need no stinkin buildings...). Just find a place to be of service and "be ready to give an answer". Consider the recovery community's tagline "attraction, not promotion", and get out in the community and be the people other people look to for advice because they like you and trust you.

Try that for a couple of months and then report back here how it went.

Great advice!!!

The baby bath water analogy isn't adding up in my scattered brain.
Bathwater means the baby got cleaned. Sounds like the bathwater some places is full of a lot of doctrines of man. If the wash water is too dirty can it clean at all?
In referring to “throwing the baby out with the bath water” analogy, its referring to throwing out something special to you along with the junk you don’t want. In the church? We all know Jesus is pretty special, so that’s a given. (And no, I’m not referring to Jesus as a baby as one movie referred to him as).

Do you throw out all hymns because they are 2-300 years old? Do you throw out all deacons because you remember a bad one or two? These analogies could go on and on.

But the real thing to take away from the bath water analogy is Keep the things that are real and Bible based and get rid of the things that are man made or adulterated in some way. But keep what’s precious and special and Biblical.

Back