• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Discussion on a potential wedding plans

MontanaDaniel

☠ BANNED ☠
I forget where i saw it here because ive been reading lots of threads lately, but someone posted an article that talked about how (paraphrasing) “there are no wives or marriages anymore, only brides and weddings”, the meaning being that for modern women its about “winning” a good husband
and then “conquering the social moment” to show the world her great marital achievement but then its generally downhill from there for most monogamous marriages.

I wanted to lead with that in order to ask the crowd wisdom here, assuming a man took a first wife who was already accepting and compatible with polygamy from the start and her new husbands definitive plans to take other (more than one) extra wives, up to a few...

Would it be best/ideal to give the first wife as well a very humbling (to her) legally unofficial home ceremony... so that in not having a typical grand public wedding but instead a very austere private polygamy-style home version that the first wife would immediately know her place as one of several wives yet to come, to set her expectations properly? (This would be my preference)

And a follow-up question, after the first wife, upon the home ceremony of the 2nd 3rd etc, wouldnt it be better to somehow include the already existing wife/wives in the ceremony itself so they truly felt like several sisterwives equally joined with the one husband, their head and leader and keeper, rather than sitting in the sidelines just watching a one-on-one rituL take place?

To me it seems like sitting idly by would make them feel like they were “being replaced” or “obsoleted” by a newer shinier toy just having to sit there watching another woman marry their husband, even if they were pro-polygamy the whole time, versus having to wear a white veil and nice dress perhaps along with the new bride and stand close by and also repeat some vows together at times? To me that would be ideal, sort of a win-win: the existing wives would get to be periodically “remarried” again along with a new wife and remember the romantic connection of the wedding ceremony multiple times, also it would be very humbling and instructive for all wives existing and new (always an ongoing need for females) to co-participate in the ceremony together and help to not only unite them to the man but also to each other as bonded sisterwives together, and most importantly so that all new wives understood unequivocally from the start they were one of a couple/few wives in a plural marriage, the fact of which supercedes her feeling like “she is married individually to the man, but just one who happens to share him with other women”. Ideally i would like to enforce the polygamous notions to all wives whenever possible.

Thanks for any input on these hypothetical situations

Would it be best/ideal to give the first wife as well a very humbling (to her) legally unofficial home ceremony... so that in not having a typical grand public wedding but instead a very austere private polygamy-style home version that the first wife would immediately know her place as one of several wives yet to come, to set her expectations properly? (This would be my preference)

And a follow-up question, after the first wife, upon the home ceremony of the 2nd 3rd etc, wouldnt it be better to somehow include the already existing wife/wives in the ceremony itself so they truly felt like several sisterwives equally joined with the one husband, their head and leader and keeper, rather than sitting in the sidelines just watching a one-on-one rituL take place?
To address the first part of the question, it seems to me that a wedding, legal or otherwise, is never humbling for either party. I’m not sure it should be intended to be that way either.

For both parties beginning a family, there should be an element of submission and humility present, as each one is being elevated by the other. For the new husband, he’s finally found someone willing to be his helpmate and the beginning of his family. For the new bride, she has finally found someone willing to accept her as a crucial part of his new family, and be given a monumental role in it as the wife of his youth, or the beginning of the family. Both have roles of submission. He to his master, who has entrusted him with one of His daughters, and she, to her new steward, to assist him in his role as a son over his own house.

But IMO, a wedding would be correctly viewed as elevating each other into a particular, specific new role rather than humbling each other into the role.

This can be done whether its a grand public wedding or a private moment with a few witnesses.

To the second question, I like the idea of having the whole family present and participating in accepting an additional wife into the family.

I forget where i saw it here because ive been reading lots of threads lately, but someone posted an article that talked about how (paraphrasing) “there are no wives or marriages anymore, only brides and weddings”, the meaning being that for modern women its about “winning” a good husband
This perhaps? https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/stop-looking-for-a-wife-you-wont-find-one.11066/

Unless you find women who grew up in plural-accepting environment, it might be easy for #1 to say she's plural-accepting without actually being plural-accepting (whether she knows it or not). Then when #2 comes along and plural becomes a real matter and not just talk, then she might be not so happy about the idea of not having you all to herself anymore, especially if that's how it's been for some years. Even if she genuinely likes the idea of plural, fear of change could drive this.

For any man having no woman, and desiring two or more, it seems well for him to find the number he wants, then have a ceremony with all n of then, and thus start as he intends to go. This way he can separate those who say they're plural-accepting, from those who are plural-accepting; seeing as how plural is a real matter right from the start.

Also, it seems good to, in the dating phase, go out as a group as much as possible and see how they interact; if they're growing closer, or if one is becoming more distant, or trying to push an/the other away. Your leadership will have an impact on this. Can they all unify behind your leadership?

For both parties beginning a family, there should be an element of submission and humility present, as each one is being elevated by the other. For the new husband, he’s finally found someone willing to be his helpmate and the beginning of his family. For the new bride, she has finally found someone willing to accept her as a crucial part of his new family, and be given a monumental role in it as the wife of his youth, or the beginning of the family. Both have roles of submission. He to his master, who has entrusted him with one of His daughters, and she, to her new steward, to assist him in his role as a son over his own house.

Well put, and in the Bible in Ephesians 5:21-33 it clearly reflects this too:
21 Submit yourselves to one another because of your reverence for Christ.
22 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands as to the Lord.
23 For a husband has authority over his wife just as Christ has authority over the church; and Christ is himself the Savior of the church, his body.
24 And so wives must submit themselves completely to their husbands just as the church submits itself to Christ.

The only caveat I would make though, and why I originally said "humbling (to her)" is because in a plural marriage in this day and age, all-around, regardless of whether its the first or 2nd wife, their backgrounds and multiple variables, and this is something that while I admit I haven't experienced myself still being single also seems to be fairly self-evident and externally-evident too, that it is naturally a bigger hurdle and more of a social/mental challenge for the women involved to have to accept and deal with as they go, not the men quite as much... The man has to deal with all the challenges of plural and home and work life and balancing it all, which is a huge task, but as far as accepting and being at peace with the arrangement itself then he is already all-in, he is gung-ho and fully embracing of both the idea and the practice, as he should be. A leader not of an army but even of a single humble family home needs to be committed and confident to lead well, or even to lead at all. But the women might need... convincing, cajoling, supporting, talking, reaffirming, and yes, a good deal of humbling.

Life experience has shown me that women will always fight back just a little... they will generally if unchecked find a way to criticize or complain about a man's plan or implementation of things, about his decisions, to reflex-argue upon hearing a new idea the first time, to push back on details and so forth. This isn't because these are bad women! It seems to me this is exactly as intended, it's the mechanism God gave women for them to use by which to test if a man is worthy is not, to pod and poke at the chinks in his masculine armor to determine if he really is a good, strong, worthy leader of them. But it certainly doesn't mean they should remain that way after being married and firmly and tenderly shown their place and then be made to stay in it, however comfortable that process can be for them so long as its achieved at the end of the day.

First the husband has to make good decisions in life; it's hard for him to defend himself and be respected by anyone, no matter who the women are, if all in a week's time he loses his job after losing his last one, there is an eviction notice in the mail from non-payment of rent, the repo man took the truck, the children are either yelling and fighting with each other or staying up late at a friend's house without permission, the wives are always bickering and jealous and... ok, then step 1 has failed, bad decisions were made. But assuming they are good ones, proven by a good life for all, then the key second step must be to reassure, train and command his wives to respect those decisions and defer to him, speaking their minds and feelings but doing so politely calmly and respectfully, not with an air of defiance, annoyance, argument and push-back. So, the point here is that this all should ideally start, if possible, when a wife is "humbled" to the reality of plural marriage from the onset, including having a simple home ceremony for even the first wife, so that she is made to know very concretely (delivered compassionately by the man but leaving no room for appeal) that there will be multiple wives, that she must share the husband equally with them, that all the ceremonies will be identical and no preference will be shown to any particular wife over the other, and that they must not fight or bicker or resent one another or the husband or show jealousy or spite in the marriage, but rather do their best to love one another, show support warmth and solidarity, and any other values the husband wants to instill in them. I believe that if this approach yields good results for the entire home, the more female humbling the better in a plural marriage, within reason, scripture and good taste of course.

Life experience has shown me that women will always fight back just a little... they will generally if unchecked find a way to criticize or complain about a man's plan or implementation of things, about his decisions, to reflex-argue upon hearing a new idea the first time, to push back on details and so forth.
It would appear to me your comments reflect a cultural condition but not one necessarily true of all women. While it must be kept in mind all people are sinners, not all express sin outwardly in the same way - men or women. Might I respectfully suggest you try to avoid pigeonholing as you will discover many shades in the personalities of women as much as they find many shades in the personalities of men. Shalom

23 For a husband has authority over his wife just as Christ has authority over the church; and Christ is himself the Savior of the church, his body.
24 And so wives must submit themselves completely to their husbands just as the church submits itself to Christ.

The only caveat I would make though, and why I originally said "humbling (to her)" is because in a plural marriage in this day and age, all-around, regardless of whether its the first or 2nd wife, their backgrounds and multiple variables, and this is something that while I admit I haven't experienced myself still being single also seems to be fairly self-evident and externally-evident too, that it is naturally a bigger hurdle and more of a social/mental challenge for the women involved to have to accept and deal with as they go, not the men quite as much... The man has to deal with all the challenges of plural and home and work life and balancing it all, which is a huge task, but as far as accepting and being at peace with the arrangement itself then he is already all-in, he is gung-ho and fully embracing of both the idea and the practice, as he should be. A leader not of an army but even of a single humble family home needs to be committed and confident to lead well, or even to lead at all. But the women might need... convincing, cajoling, supporting, talking, reaffirming, and yes, a good deal of humbling.

Life experience has shown me that women will always fight back just a little... they will generally if unchecked find a way to criticize or complain about a man's plan or implementation of things, about his decisions, to reflex-argue upon hearing a new idea the first time, to push back on details and so forth. This isn't because these are bad women! It seems to me this is exactly as intended, it's the mechanism God gave women for them to use by which to test if a man is worthy is not, to pod and poke at the chinks in his masculine armor to determine if he really is a good, strong, worthy leader of them. But it certainly doesn't mean they should remain that way after being married and firmly and tenderly shown their place and then be made to stay in it, however comfortable that process can be for them so long as its achieved at the end of the day.

First the husband has to make good decisions in life; it's hard for him to defend himself and be respected by anyone, no matter who the women are, if all in a week's time he loses his job after losing his last one, there is an eviction notice in the mail from non-payment of rent, the repo man took the truck, the children are either yelling and fighting with each other or staying up late at a friend's house without permission, the wives are always bickering and jealous and... ok, then step 1 has failed, bad decisions were made. But assuming they are good ones, proven by a good life for all, then the key second step must be to reassure, train and command his wives to respect those decisions and defer to him, speaking their minds and feelings but doing so politely calmly and respectfully, not with an air of defiance, annoyance, argument and push-back. So, the point here is that this all should ideally start, if possible, when a wife is "humbled" to the reality of plural marriage from the onset, including having a simple home ceremony for even the first wife, so that she is made to know very concretely (delivered compassionately by the man but leaving no room for appeal) that there will be multiple wives, that she must share the husband equally with them, that all the ceremonies will be identical and no preference will be shown to any particular wife over the other, and that they must not fight or bicker or resent one another or the husband or show jealousy or spite in the marriage, but rather do their best to love one another, show support warmth and solidarity, and any other values the husband wants to instill in them. I believe that if this approach yields good results for the entire home, the more female humbling the better in a plural marriage, within reason, scripture and good taste of course.

This is addressed to everyone else, but @MontanaDaniel you may listen in (haha): I think we may all be being provided a singular opportunity here. Mountain Man Dan has entered our midst with a big splash. We may never again experience someone who has done such a significant amount of observing, research, plotting and planning -- combined with being at a place in his life where he is in the infancy of actually implementing what he intends to implement. We have the honor of being spectators for what could be an example for many more to follow -- not to mention perhaps helping some of us recognize where we ourselves have gone wrong in our endeavors to form plural families. Of course, we could also watch him crash and burn (or disappear out of a misguided sense of embarrassment if his grand plans don't materialize), but I prefer to be some of the wind at his back. In a short period of time, Daniel has effectively articulated a combination of what a lot of frustrated men on this Biblical Families web site forum section have described related to their journeys, their cultural assessments, their views on how things should be but aren't, and suggestions for how to change things. Mountain Man Dan has a Plan, and he sees a great many things very clearly. I desire to cheer him on for the most part, and, if he stumbles, I pray we will all be right there to help him dust himself off and get back on the path.

It would appear to me your comments reflect a cultural condition but not one necessarily true of all women. While it must be kept in mind all people are sinners, not all express sin outwardly in the same way - men or women. Might I respectfully suggest you try to avoid pigeonholing as you will discover many shades in the personalities of women as much as they find many shades in the personalities of men. Shalom

Hey brother i get it, and one of my biggest rules about “world-philosophizing” is that any observation, condition, or trend about a people or culture is NEVER 100%. A quick example: is obesity a problem in the US? Yes, proven fact. Does the US consistently win the most Olympic medals every 4 years? Absolutely! So how could both of those things be true at the same time, how could we be one of the fattest yet also fittest countries on the planet?? Well, because human beings and nations are incredibly complex, and not easily described.

The problem here though, is that human beings and nations and cultures in fact are SO complex that if we were to do justice to the reality every time we opened our mouths... nobody would ever be allowed to say anything. The only thing we could reasonably say would be “oh yeah those people, well ill tell you about them... THEY are far too indescribably sociologically complex for me to even comment on!” And that would be the only response you could get away with for literally every topic and conversation.

However I can tell you also as a fact that EVERY relationship i have ever seen be it my own or others around me that i got to observe and be around at an upclose social level has exhibited the woman well, being a typical woman of this society, which means her fair common share of criticizing, nagging, complaining about a new suggestion, teasing her man probably more than she should in public etc etc, and that includes many christian women out there. Mind you the typical “men of this society” obviously got their own junk in the trunk but thats a separate (very valid) thread perhaps, i wasnt talking about them. And like i said neither is it a horrible thing, for the most part its tolerable and most of those women are decent people. Im not harpin on em. But are hardly any of those women or relationships in the land out there (300 million people...) biblical, complementarian, gender-roles trained, submissive followers of God, the Bible and Proverbs 31 and Titus 2? No. Are there amazing women like that out of there? Absolutely! And probably in equal ratio to how many obese people VS. gold medal winning Olympians in the US there are at any given time, too.

I do love women, and respect them a great deal, i thank God very often when i pray which i admit i should do more of, that He created girls and femininity because i treasure them above all else on Earth, as a man should. But nonetheless, is what i said in the post you quoted enough of a high % sociological pattern of general women today (even if not ALL of them) to warrant having said it? Absolutely.

This is addressed to everyone else, but @MontanaDaniel you may listen in (haha): I think we may all be being provided a singular opportunity here. Mountain Man Dan has entered our midst with a big splash. We may never again experience someone who has done such a significant amount of observing, research, plotting and planning -- combined with being at a place in his life where he is in the infancy of actually implementing what he intends to implement. We have the honor of being spectators for what could be an example for many more to follow -- not to mention perhaps helping some of us recognize where we ourselves have gone wrong in our endeavors to form plural families. Of course, we could also watch him crash and burn (or disappear out of a misguided sense of embarrassment if his grand plans don't materialize), but I prefer to be some of the wind at his back. In a short period of time, Daniel has effectively articulated a combination of what a lot of frustrated men on this Biblical Families web site forum section have described related to their journeys, their cultural assessments, their views on how things should be but aren't, and suggestions for how to change things. Mountain Man Dan has a Plan, and he sees a great many things very clearly. I desire to cheer him on for the most part, and, if he stumbles, I pray we will all be right there to help him dust himself off and get back on the path.

Shucks Keith... now i HAVE to make it to one of these retreats as soon as I can just to buy you a beer. Thanks for the kind supportive words. I dont want to derail every thread i comment on into off-topic tangents so i may try to avoid being less splashy, we’ll see.

I dont know if i will succeed or fail, only He does, but i can tell you my intentions to do this are absolutely bedrock deep, they cannot be undone, and so getting embarrassed and flailing out of here because i couldnt take a little criticism or my plans were delayed is unlikely, that much i know. in fact i was hoping to come here and sort of “let loose” alot that was in my mind and have it be somewhat eviscerated by experienced polygamists and very knowledgeable biblical Christians. I think a great strength of this community is that in order to ultimately justify, redeem and defend biblical polygyny that many of yall have had to dig DEEP into scripture, and ive been impressed by this front since arriving here. So no, i wont melt, i wont look at the sun once and be blinded and defeated. I am trying to be respectful, but ive also learned to speak my mind when i believe truth is with me. Its like, half confidence, half academic rigor, i suppose, you need both.

So, while were talking about this, by the way...

This is very likely a future thread to be created at some point but i will say here and now in relation to those “frustrated men” you mention that have come and gone with failed polygamous aspirations... we should do something to help out our own kind! Heck, to help me out too, im still single! Haha. And i will brag here a bit... i wager (just a hunch) im probably more resourceful and savvy when it comes to getting what i need and want out of life, polygamous wives included im hoping, than probably many men you folks have seen come and go through here. And so this idea is something i could do on my own, but i would really rather help out any good worthy men who aspire to biblical polygyny by making it a collaborative group effort here at BF, if i could, for the greater good.

And like i said, i might not initiate this project for some time, but, it seems to me that the greatest talent pool of young, quality Christian women out there who WOULD and COULD be converted to biblical polygyny are exactly those christian girls who have a genuinely deep love of God in their hearts and are true Bible-worshipping Christians. Cmon youve met these girls, so have i: They believe in just about everything biblically we would want them to... except of course polygamy. The good news is their numbers are large, i mean were talking about young, devout Christian, monogamous females here, the figure is in the low millions. Not too bad of a starting point.

So the key then becomes, how do people and men (and women) like us who believe in biblical plural marriage successfully find and convert these girls?

This is where my idea comes in, which like i said, at some future point i think would be a great collaborative project for this community to tackle, and i wouldnt mind leading the effort and doing most of the work of drafting even while others provided most of the content far superior to my own lone stabs at it (might have to wait a little while though, we’ll see).

So here it is:

I think there is an incredibly huge gap here between good intent (what BF stands for) and the reality of achieving this dream for aspiring men. I think there needs to be a well thought-out, well written, exhaustively researched, crowd-sourced (BF would provide the right crowd), vetted and edited guidebook of sorts for literally the most effective way to convert regular-society monogamous devout Christian girls to consider and eventually accept polygyny, which for the vast majority of men even me is an incredibly difficult thing to do! Most men would just read that problem statement and say “uhhhh nope. Impossible. Forget it.” But we know that it is possible, albeit very difficult and fraught with risk of failure.

This guidebook might (in exaggerated drastic summarization, obviously) read something like:

1.) find a very devout Christian girl. Could be online dating sites, could be a local church.

2.) Do NOT mention polygamy in any way shape or form right away.

3.) start talking to her, build a social connection and maybe even a romantic pre-marital dating connection, but have it be centered around a love of Christ and devotion to His faith all the while.

4.) still not talking about polygamy, whether in person, online or by phone, suggest the idea to have “bible dates” where you read scripture together and discuss dogma and tenets, and then make it a regular part of your interaction with her. Take the lead on this, show your enthusiasm for God.

5.) increasingly moreso, go over fundamentalist bible material even monogamous Christians adhere to, i.e. the wifes submission to the husband, gender roles, Gods design for men and women, among other topics of course to not be too narrow-tracked about it.

6.) Get to a point where the girl fully agrees with everything biblical and fundamental BEFORE entering or even suggesting polygamy territory, such as hearing her agree that men should lead their households and women and decide whats best for their families based on the bible, statements of affirmation which clearly delineate gender differences and roles per the book.

7.) Then, start reading scripture and discussing polygamy but in a very subtle way that does not seem like you outright either wanting it nor disavowing it, by casually going over scripture which mentions polygyny and multiple wives, and talk about it.

8.) even if done very smoothly and non-chalantly to where the girl doesnt think the man “went there intentionally” she will still have pushback against the idea of it, even if not directed at the man, even if just in open friendly and mutual theological discussion... doesnt matter, she WILL voice her qualms and condemnation soundbytes against polygamy, expect it. Ok, maybe 1/1000 will blurt out “i love the sound of that, lets try it!” In which case great, youve got a winner. For all other 999/1000, keep reading.

9.) be prepared, WELL prepared for her pushbacks and biblical arguments against polygyny (and this is why we would need a collaborated guide for this which is far beyond my skills or knowledge just on my own) so that at every turn, at every possible biblical wall, the man has a biblical sledgehammer and dissolves the barrier, at every possible moral outrage, the man has a biblical morality affirming polygyny (and of course, only “soft” defenses at first to not seem suspiciously outspoken about it just yet), for every negative remark she has, you have scripture backing up a positive counter-remark.

10.) if at some point along steps 8-9 she suspects an ulterior motive (and women are very smart so this is likely) and calls you out on it, i.e. “why do you keep reading verses dealing with polygamy and multiple wives and then talking to me about it, is that what you want?” Then this is a potentially precarious moment, answer honestly but wisely. If she still needs a lot of work and convincing to soften her pre-existing biases, provide a true but mitigated response: “well to be honest it is a recent line of inquiry for me as i dig deeper into the Bible and Gods holy word and discover new wisdom, so i dont yet know what to think completely one way or the other. Im still just exploring it, along with you if you dont mind, but at the end of the day i have to listen to God, and if the bible turns out to accept and condone multiple wives as it did for Moses Jacob and the Kings of Israel among many others, then who am i to go against God? Wouldnt it be my sacred duty as a biblical Christian man to seek out what God truly wants for men and women based on what the bible teaches us? What do you think?” And then depending on how she answers, you have further lines to talk about and keep probing it. Or who knows, at the slightest hint of you NOT strongly condemning polygamy maybe she rages out and you never see her again. There is always that chance. However, if the girl “calls you out” in a very optimistic and friendly, even slightly curious and enticing way, then you know your good work has been paying off, and perhaps a more direct and affirmative (while still somewhat casual) answer might be in order. Step 10 depends alot on what came before and how it goes down.

11.) ??? Blurt out and just ask her to be a 1st/2nd/3rd wife ???

See, this is why we need a more thoroughly researched, crowd-sourced and serious document-like “guide”, to give our (especially younger) men a fighting chance. Otherwise yeah, i suspect the overwhelming number of them will indeed face impossible odds, with no magical pool of available polygamous girls to talk to (even with online poly dating sites theyre pretty scarce, especially with younger women) and quickly find their hopes dashed, get frustrated, wave the white flag and usually quietly slink away back into regular society and begrudging failed monogamy.

Now, if the Bible really does condone and even promote polygyny, and i firmly believe it does and God does as well, despite the modern Christian world having become ill-convinced of monogamy (which makes no sense when you think about it biblically, biologically, sexually, socially, financially, etc), then should we not as responsible Christians create the means by which our own kin, fellow polygamous fundamentalist Christian men, would be able to successfully (or at least with far higher rate of probability) convert monogamous Christian girls into biblical polygamy, Gods true intent for men and women?

I mean, im completely open to feedback on this idea (sorry if its the wrong thread, just sort of happened here i guess), but just for starters i would warn that anybody arguing “No, this is a bad idea because its too conniving and Machiavellian, youre asking people to help you create a Christian psychological-CIA-brainwashing document to subvert young girls. If it works with a girl its because you asked her directly from the beginning and she either said yes or no” ... to please remember that all it amounts to is a carefully considered collection of biblical truths sprinkled with social/dating/ladies advice composed in such a way to help men talk to, navigate and ultimately (with the girl’s own conscious willing approval) convert monogamous Christian girls into what we all here believe is better, polygamy, in a way that, despite any practical and tactful approaches used, is honest and not deceptive in spirit, while still being tailored to getting results.

Furthermore i would add that it would and should be the WOMEN here at BF to help out and contribute the most, because without them it would not be a very good guide in the end. It would require biblical knowledge in spades and the men here too have this, but with a deeply considered feminine viewpoint at every line of every page, since of course the whole point of such a guide would be to understand and interact with the minds and hearts of real female girls. And who better to help advise and compose such a document than real polygamous females. I think both sexes working together should be involved, but yeah, i stand by that.

I think there needs to be a well thought-out, well written, exhaustively researched, crowd-sourced (BF would provide the right crowd), vetted and edited guidebook of sorts for literally the most effective way to convert regular-society monogamous devout Christian girls to consider and eventually accept polygyny, which for the vast majority of men even me is an incredibly difficult thing to do!

Now that is a great idea. Impressive how you just laid out a fairly flushed-out outline, Mountain Man Dan. In fact, I think it holds more promise than believing we can propagate our way into creating a pro-polygyny society. This kind of thing requires persuading hearts and minds. For my part, I tend to believe one of the bedrock starting points along the path of that persuasion is focusing on Paul's admonition to shift from seeking approval from the world to seeking approval from our God and finding the answers in Scripture rather than from popular culture.

The current plan is for me to bring copies of the soon-to-be-released first issue of the revitalized Patriarchs Journal (dedicated to Biblical polygyny, PJ is spearheaded by Clyde Pilkington, Jr.) to the upcoming retreat. Anyone who wants to get on the mailing list or submit an article (some have already done so and should see their work in upcoming issues) can send me a private message here. I'd love to work with you, @MontanaDaniel, on an article for Patriarchs Journal about the creation of just such a manual as you're suggesting.

Keith

Shucks Keith... now i HAVE to make it to one of these retreats as soon as I can just to buy you a beer. Thanks for the kind supportive words. I dont want to derail every thread i comment on into off-topic tangents so i may try to avoid being less splashy, we’ll see.

I dont know if i will succeed or fail, only He does, but i can tell you my intentions to do this are absolutely bedrock deep, they cannot be undone, and so getting embarrassed and flailing out of here because i couldnt take a little criticism or my plans were delayed is unlikely, that much i know. in fact i was hoping to come here and sort of “let loose” alot that was in my mind and have it be somewhat eviscerated by experienced polygamists and very knowledgeable biblical Christians. I think a great strength of this community is that in order to ultimately justify, redeem and defend biblical polygyny that many of yall have had to dig DEEP into scripture, and ive been impressed by this front since arriving here. So no, i wont melt, i wont look at the sun once and be blinded and defeated. I am trying to be respectful, but ive also learned to speak my mind when i believe truth is with me. Its like, half confidence, half academic rigor, i suppose, you need both.

So, while were talking about this, by the way...

This is very likely a future thread to be created at some point but i will say here and now in relation to those “frustrated men” you mention that have come and gone with failed polygamous aspirations... we should do something to help out our own kind! Heck, to help me out too, im still single! Haha. And i will brag here a bit... i wager (just a hunch) im probably more resourceful and savvy when it comes to getting what i need and want out of life, polygamous wives included im hoping, than probably many men you folks have seen come and go through here. And so this idea is something i could do on my own, but i would really rather help out any good worthy men who aspire to biblical polygyny by making it a collaborative group effort here at BF, if i could, for the greater good.

And like i said, i might not initiate this project for some time, but, it seems to me that the greatest talent pool of young, quality Christian women out there who WOULD and COULD be converted to biblical polygyny are exactly those christian girls who have a genuinely deep love of God in their hearts and are true Bible-worshipping Christians. Cmon youve met these girls, so have i: They believe in just about everything biblically we would want them to... except of course polygamy. The good news is their numbers are large, i mean were talking about young, devout Christian, monogamous females here, the figure is in the low millions. Not too bad of a starting point.

So the key then becomes, how do people and men (and women) like us who believe in biblical plural marriage successfully find and convert these girls?

This is where my idea comes in, which like i said, at some future point i think would be a great collaborative project for this community to tackle, and i wouldnt mind leading the effort and doing most of the work of drafting even while others provided most of the content far superior to my own lone stabs at it (might have to wait a little while though, we’ll see).

So here it is:

I think there is an incredibly huge gap here between good intent (what BF stands for) and the reality of achieving this dream for aspiring men. I think there needs to be a well thought-out, well written, exhaustively researched, crowd-sourced (BF would provide the right crowd), vetted and edited guidebook of sorts for literally the most effective way to convert regular-society monogamous devout Christian girls to consider and eventually accept polygyny, which for the vast majority of men even me is an incredibly difficult thing to do! Most men would just read that problem statement and say “uhhhh nope. Impossible. Forget it.” But we know that it is possible, albeit very difficult and fraught with risk of failure.

This guidebook might (in exaggerated drastic summarization, obviously) read something like:

1.) find a very devout Christian girl. Could be online dating sites, could be a local church.

2.) Do NOT mention polygamy in any way shape or form right away.

3.) start talking to her, build a social connection and maybe even a romantic pre-marital dating connection, but have it be centered around a love of Christ and devotion to His faith all the while.

4.) still not talking about polygamy, whether in person, online or by phone, suggest the idea to have “bible dates” where you read scripture together and discuss dogma and tenets, and then make it a regular part of your interaction with her. Take the lead on this, show your enthusiasm for God.

5.) increasingly moreso, go over fundamentalist bible material even monogamous Christians adhere to, i.e. the wifes submission to the husband, gender roles, Gods design for men and women, among other topics of course to not be too narrow-tracked about it.

6.) Get to a point where the girl fully agrees with everything biblical and fundamental BEFORE entering or even suggesting polygamy territory, such as hearing her agree that men should lead their households and women and decide whats best for their families based on the bible, statements of affirmation which clearly delineate gender differences and roles per the book.

7.) Then, start reading scripture and discussing polygamy but in a very subtle way that does not seem like you outright either wanting it nor disavowing it, by casually going over scripture which mentions polygyny and multiple wives, and talk about it.

8.) even if done very smoothly and non-chalantly to where the girl doesnt think the man “went there intentionally” she will still have pushback against the idea of it, even if not directed at the man, even if just in open friendly and mutual theological discussion... doesnt matter, she WILL voice her qualms and condemnation soundbytes against polygamy, expect it. Ok, maybe 1/1000 will blurt out “i love the sound of that, lets try it!” In which case great, youve got a winner. For all other 999/1000, keep reading.

9.) be prepared, WELL prepared for her pushbacks and biblical arguments against polygyny (and this is why we would need a collaborated guide for this which is far beyond my skills or knowledge just on my own) so that at every turn, at every possible biblical wall, the man has a biblical sledgehammer and dissolves the barrier, at every possible moral outrage, the man has a biblical morality affirming polygyny (and of course, only “soft” defenses at first to not seem suspiciously outspoken about it just yet), for every negative remark she has, you have scripture backing up a positive counter-remark.

10.) if at some point along steps 8-9 she suspects an ulterior motive (and women are very smart so this is likely) and calls you out on it, i.e. “why do you keep reading verses dealing with polygamy and multiple wives and then talking to me about it, is that what you want?” Then this is a potentially precarious moment, answer honestly but wisely. If she still needs a lot of work and convincing to soften her pre-existing biases, provide a true but mitigated response: “well to be honest it is a recent line of inquiry for me as i dig deeper into the Bible and Gods holy word and discover new wisdom, so i dont yet know what to think completely one way or the other. Im still just exploring it, along with you if you dont mind, but at the end of the day i have to listen to God, and if the bible turns out to accept and condone multiple wives as it did for Moses Jacob and the Kings of Israel among many others, then who am i to go against God? Wouldnt it be my sacred duty as a biblical Christian man to seek out what God truly wants for men and women based on what the bible teaches us? What do you think?” And then depending on how she answers, you have further lines to talk about and keep probing it. Or who knows, at the slightest hint of you NOT strongly condemning polygamy maybe she rages out and you never see her again. There is always that chance. However, if the girl “calls you out” in a very optimistic and friendly, even slightly curious and enticing way, then you know your good work has been paying off, and perhaps a more direct and affirmative (while still somewhat casual) answer might be in order. Step 10 depends alot on what came before and how it goes down.

11.) ??? Blurt out and just ask her to be a 1st/2nd/3rd wife ???

See, this is why we need a more thoroughly researched, crowd-sourced and serious document-like “guide”, to give our (especially younger) men a fighting chance. Otherwise yeah, i suspect the overwhelming number of them will indeed face impossible odds, with no magical pool of available polygamous girls to talk to (even with online poly dating sites theyre pretty scarce, especially with younger women) and quickly find their hopes dashed, get frustrated, wave the white flag and usually quietly slink away back into regular society and begrudging failed monogamy.

Now, if the Bible really does condone and even promote polygyny, and i firmly believe it does and God does as well, despite the modern Christian world having become ill-convinced of monogamy (which makes no sense when you think about it biblically, biologically, sexually, socially, financially, etc), then should we not as responsible Christians create the means by which our own kin, fellow polygamous fundamentalist Christian men, would be able to successfully (or at least with far higher rate of probability) convert monogamous Christian girls into biblical polygamy, Gods true intent for men and women?

I mean, im completely open to feedback on this idea (sorry if its the wrong thread, just sort of happened here i guess), but just for starters i would warn that anybody arguing “No, this is a bad idea because its too conniving and Machiavellian, youre asking people to help you create a Christian psychological-CIA-brainwashing document to subvert young girls. If it works with a girl its because you asked her directly from the beginning and she either said yes or no” ... to please remember that all it amounts to is a carefully considered collection of biblical truths sprinkled with social/dating/ladies advice composed in such a way to help men talk to, navigate and ultimately (with the girl’s own conscious willing approval) convert monogamous Christian girls into what we all here believe is better, polygamy, in a way that, despite any practical and tactful approaches used, is honest and not deceptive in spirit, while still being tailored to getting results.

Furthermore i would add that it would and should be the WOMEN here at BF to help out and contribute the most, because without them it would not be a very good guide in the end. It would require biblical knowledge in spades and the men here too have this, but with a deeply considered feminine viewpoint at every line of every page, since of course the whole point of such a guide would be to understand and interact with the minds and hearts of real female girls. And who better to help advise and compose such a document than real polygamous females. I think both sexes working together should be involved, but yeah, i stand by that.

Two questions for you, Dan, A. Have you ever met a woman? (They’re slightly more complicated then one might think) And B. Which one? (They’re not all the same... ever been to a formal anything? The men are all perfectly happy wearing the exact same thing, the ladies on the other hand... not two of them alike!)

Two questions for you, Dan, A. Have you ever met a woman? (They’re slightly more complicated then one might think) And B. Which one? (They’re not all the same... ever been to a formal anything? The men are all perfectly happy wearing the exact same thing, the ladies on the other hand... not two of them alike!)

Apparently Ive been bad already at staying on topic so I want to commit to that from now on whenever I can (within reason, we're all human and like to talk is just the way of it) but I couldnt let this one slide by unresponded to.

Yeah, I've had several relationships, and then several more "dating spells" on top of those, for lack of a better term. Met plenty of women besides those too, this of course all in the liberal monogamous world on top of that where I have lived up to now (SO thankful to be leaving here soon).

And I gotta say, its my experience that women usually conform to social norms more than men do. Having grown up in both the Bay Area and Seattle, in that order (though these are admittedly hotbeds of racial/cultural/etc diversity and not indicative of most everywhere else on Earth that are not such wild melting pots), I can say that both men and women can exhibit vastly different traits and values, however women are biologically and psychologically far more dependent on their local social culture and networks than men are, and thus from a young age its "monkey see, monkey do" for girls, they take after and imitate whats immediately around them way more than men do. Take the formal events you brought up as an example: every girl in high school dang near is concerned with the prom, what they're going to wear, who they're going with. Every guy? Not so much, they just go along for the ride. This isn't a negative quality, just a gender difference, just how women are. Men on the other hand are hunters, scouts, warriors... genetically they have been formed by God and from their primeval past to be far more comfortable out on their own, doing their own thing, coming up with their own conclusions, "being their own man" (you notice the euphemism isn't "be your own woman"... I dont think thats a coincidence). Again, nothing against women at all, this is not a bad thing, just that the sexes are massively different, pole opposites.

Rememer too, roughly half of all marriages end in divorce (as of 2016, about 6.8 out of 1000 people get married, and at the same time about 3.2 out of 1000 people divorce, so effectively half). Do you believe all those women in those relationships are biblical models of pleasant agreeableness until the moment one random day they split up?? Again Im positive the men have their own part to play and are not blameless in marital woes all over the land, but that wasnt what you were referring to from the post I made earlier...

By the way, the reason men at formal gatherings all dress in the same suits and women wear many colors and dresses is a just a traditional social contract that heterosexual grown men, being masculine and expected to appear more reserved and manly, should not indulge in fastidious fashions and self aggrandizement (such as gay men might do), while women, being feminine, are more socially encouraged to embellish and show off their external appearances, as girls like doing anyway. Not a signifier of which gender has more personality/mental variety at all, you've just struck upon an age old social custom there. Which is especially evident at formal events, since you have to "dress up" at those events, but men aren't supposed to "dress up"! So they "dress neutral".

If and when the second wife were to come along, I would love to be present for their marriage as well as my children. She is not only marrying my Husband but joining the family as well. If she decides at any given moment that my children or I are not allowed then that would raise serious concerns to me and I would need to voice those concerns to my husband. That action would show me and my Husband that she is not willing to really enter this lifestyle or relationship. He would call the relationship off.

I wholeheartedly concur, and if I were the man in that situation I would talk with the new wife about how the ceremony would be before the special day to make sure she was fully compliant with the idea of the existing wives being a part of the wedding (and in some parts of it all of them even wearing white garments and saying vows, perhaps all standing together at predetermined moments, etc). And if she wasn't onboard with that, i would look at it as my duty to tell her and once again instill into her our values until she understood and agreed and promised to go along with it as planned and also force herself to try to enjoy it and not let her anxiety spoil the once-in-a-lifetime special event and moment.

Imho, this is why patriarchal firmness is so important... women are beautiful and lovely and all, and I love that theyre sensitive and emotional too (otherwise they wouldnt really be women, after all), but emotional intensity and exuberance are also what can make them fidgety, skittish, moody and doubtful, but once they are calmly but firmly talked to and compelled to try something out by their headship, they often find that despite biting their tongue and forcing themselves to smile through it they actually enjoyed it and are glad they did it afterwards, and I think this would be such a case.

its my experience that women usually conform to social norms more than men do. . . . . . the reason men at formal gatherings all dress in the same suits and women wear many colors and dresses is a just a traditional social contract that heterosexual grown men, being masculine and expected to appear more reserved and manly, should not indulge in fastidious fashions and self aggrandizement (such as gay men might do).

Good afternoon, Mountain Man Dan!

I do generally agree with your assertion that women have more of a tendency to conform to social norms than men do, but (a) I think it's much more of a matter of degree than a stark differentiation; and (b) your example, in my opinion, undercuts your thesis. That is, it's a demonstration of one of the major exceptions to the general rule of stronger female conformity to social norms rather than being proof of it. In fact, if anything, I would assert that the evidence all around us suggests that men are more bent on conformity in the realm of dress than are women. You actually probably inadvertently point to the primary reason for male conformity in dress: the general paranoia men have about fearing that others will think they are homosexual. I know everyone who reads this knows what I'm talking about. The average straight male's worst nightmare is being thought of as gay, and that fear has led us to eschew the wearing of anything that anyone else might interpret as queer. [This next thought is off-topic, but I would further assert that the ubiquity of paranoia about male homosexuality that has produced one of the most intense examples of worshiping the approval of the world can be traced back to organized religion. Some will say, oh, no, it's in Scripture -- but even aside from the controversial aspect of the questionable translation of Leviticus 20:13 and its extremely rare echoes, and even if one takes the questionable translation entirely at face value, it's rather undeniable that it's remarkably strange that something that's mentioned only a couple of times in Scripture has ended up being one of the most frequently and adamantly voiced tenets of many major branches of modern-day Christianity, not to mention other religions. My assertion remains that this obsession with being adamantly opposed to male homosexuality certainly causes a generalized male conformity about not only patterns of dress but patterns of posture, etc., so let's not pretend that conformity is a predominantly female province.]

You write this with a lot of certainty for someone who doesn't seem to be in a relationship. Does what your hypothetical wives may want play any sort of role in your fantasy? I mean this will all respect due, but perhaps when the time comes that you do finally fall in love, you will be more inclined to give her what she wants instead of what you are certain you want.

Imho, this is why patriarchal firmness is so important... women are beautiful and lovely and all, and I love that theyre sensitive and emotional too (otherwise they wouldnt really be women, after all), but emotional intensity and exuberance are also what can make them fidgety, skittish, moody and doubtful, but once they are calmly but firmly talked to and compelled to try something out by their headship, they often find that despite biting their tongue and forcing themselves to smile through it they actually enjoyed it and are glad they did it afterwards, and I think this would be such a case.

Humor.. serious humor. lol Down on all us practical women! lol I'm only as described when horribly pregnant. lol I don't know what women you hang around... lol I'm like Nurse Crachet otherwise lol My dad thought I'd be a good nurse.. I laughed so very very hard. But maybe he was right because I have the hard love pull yourself together kind of attitude. Anyway, thanks for the good laugh on what you think all women are like. :)

I believe the man should be Godly and follow God but he should treat the wife or wives as part of himself

However I can tell you also as a fact that EVERY relationship i have ever seen be it my own or others around me that i got to observe and be around at an upclose social level has exhibited the woman well, being a typical woman of this society, which means her fair common share of criticizing, nagging, complaining about a new suggestion, teasing her man probably more than she should in public etc etc, and that includes many christian women out there.

I think it's very telling that EVERY relationship you've ever been in has been with this kind of woman--you obviously are attracted to a certain type. Which begs the question: would you even be happy with a quiet, shy, fashionably non-conformist woman? Probably not since you've probably walked past 10 of them in the past month. You want an impossible woman (excuse me, women) and then complain because they don't exist.

You can't change others, you can only change yourself.

Back