• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Kingdom courts

So Jesus was wrong to say this is how people should handle disputes?

I'm saying that right and wrong are not a democracy. If you want to go down the path of Matthew 18 then you first have to make sure the person accused is actually wrong and you and your majority are actually right.

Otherwise you're just being jerks.

I believe nothing new can override something Old and this means that everything must be seen using Torah and the Prophets to understand The New Testament.

My .45 pistol trumps your 4,000 year old bronze sword all day long.

I'm saying that right and wrong are not a democracy. If you want to go down the path of Matthew 18 then you first have to make sure the person accused is actually wrong and you and your majority are actually right.
I believe there are verses in Torah about how the elders are to investigate to find guilt. Matthew 18 tasks the victim with finding witnesses to go before the accused first, and then to go before the assembly. I don't believe that Matthew 18 is teaching some form of mob justice. When it says go before the assembly, I believe it is talking about the judges, not a public vote.

If the bronze sword was made by God and the pistol by man, I'll take the sword.

I've seen Matthew 18 abused before. Just because someone invokes it does not make them right.

Just want to point out....the prince of Sheckem was just the son of the patriarch, and the 5 kings in Joshua's last campaign....were probably just senior patriarchs too.
I think they'll have been kings. Each was the ruler of a city, and there is no overall ruler mentioned who was over them all and linked them together. I expect the Amorites (as a people) had a number of independent small kingdoms, all of which allied to fight Joshua but were otherwise independent. Lots of small city-state kingdoms were common in the past.

I've seen Matthew 18 abused before. Just because someone invokes it does not make them right.
Definitely! But it's usually due to malice or misunderstanding of the passage, not an inherent flaw with the teaching.

How I have usually seen it abused is by people trying to use the passage to justify slander or gossiping. The proper order would have the victim going to the elders of the church to judge the matter, not spouting whatever slander they want to all of the individuals of the church.

I think the key phrase he said here was "in our own home". I would still disagree with the usage of the term King (but to be fair, "We are all Dukes in our own home" doesn't sound as cool), I think his point stays the same. It may not be his (AbrahamSolomon's) overall kingdom, but he can control a portion of it (specifically his family).

@AbrahamSolomon perhaps it would be better to use the term tribe or clan instead of kingdom and chief or patriarch instead of king.

100% It might be over the top, but as long as we bow before G-d Giving Him Full Glory and lay our Crown at His Feet in the end He was The Only Real King and we a small image of Him.

I have no clue what you are saying, I hope you are not saying a gun is more powerful than G-d?

I think building a "Kingdom Courts" a set of Judges is needed.
But first we must agree The Laws and for me and my House we follow 613 Laws.
But I do not believe The Laws are to be use as a bat onto our heads but a Paths.
Every Man is The Head of his Family, but Every Man should have other men to hold us Straight.
I believe we need this as G-dly Men and G-dly People who Follow G-d.

The Idea of Every Man is a King of His House is because Husbands have 100% Say in their House/Kingdom/Tribe/Clan, but must also submit to a G-dly Laws with Judges. The Judges can not override a man in His House, except maybe in counseling **.

We would need elders who could morph into everything we need and I think we would need to have a massive gathering to debate everything.

Again I do not believe G-ds Laws are to beat us up, but to lead us to Him.

If the bronze sword was made by God and the pistol by man, I'll take the sword.
I have no clue what you are saying, I hope you are not saying a gun is more powerful than G-d?

Just saying that modern things and modern knowledge are sometimes better than the understandings of 4000 years ago.

Like if someone wants to come at me with a sword then go for it. The result will be very predictable for me.

And what if you have a boil on your skin? Do you want to lance it and then treat it with antibiotics or do you want to do as Isaiah advised in Isaiah 38:21?

“Let them take a cake of figs and apply it to the boil, that he may recover.” I'm sure this was good advice in Isaiah's time.

You two keep fig cakes in your medicine cabinets, right?

Do you use oil and wine for open wounds as per Luke 10:34?

You see where I'm going here?

As for Matthew 18 I'm just saying I've seen it abused. And when people invoke it my discussion always starts with: "Are you sure you're right and the accused is wrong?"

Just saying that modern things and modern knowledge are sometimes better than the understandings of 4000 years ago.

Like if someone wants to come at me with a sword then go for it. The result will be very predictable for me.

And what if you have a boil on your skin? Do you want to lance it and then treat it with antibiotics or do you want to do as Isaiah advised in Isaiah 38:21?

“Let them take a cake of figs and apply it to the boil, that he may recover.” I'm sure this was good advice in Isaiah's time.

You two keep fig cakes in your medicine cabinets, right?

You see where I'm going here?

As for Matthew 18 I'm just saying I've seen it abused. And when people invoke it my discussion always starts with: "Are you sure you're right and the accused is wrong?"

The Problem is with "Old Testament vs New Testament" and "New Tech vs Old Tech" is G-d of The Old and The G-d of The New is The Same.
The Reason we must Test The New with The Old and not the other way around is a faults Prophet can't easy faul you if you Test Everything on The Old Testament.

I use supplements to cure my illnesses and lots of Prayers to G-d.
I use salt for my cuts and Aloe as well.

Yes, and honey for burns. It's amazing to see the results compared to applying manufactured chemicals. But there are situations for treatments or surgeries not outlined in the Bible. Some blindness can be overcome through removal of cataracts and inserting IOL's which is different from anything we read of in the Bible. But this doesn't in any way detract from the responsibility we have to obey God when it comes to dealing with interpersonal disputes as set out in Matthew 18. Shalom

We have so many ministers who were put into positions of leadership for nothing more than being marginally charismatic (in personality). The small "party" of ministers looking for change in the district meet and talk about ideas each year before the district convocation (where all the ministers gather to vote for district leaders, financial decisions, etc.).

For the past three years every meeting has basically ended with everyone agreeing there can really be no change until one of us enters district leadership. The big problem is that the group is a strange form of democracy. Every minister gets a vote at convention, but for the most part the ministers vote with whoever is in leadership. I call them sheep in shepherd's clothing.

This is just humans doing human things. Charisma is a necessary part of leadership. And most people are followers not leaders, this is necessary in any organism with much social organization at all. It doesn't matter how good your ideas are, even if there is 100% group agreement, which there never is, if you can't organize and lead people to accomplish them.

Not when it comes to the basis of social organization. Not when we're dealing with social systems given by the God who created us.

I've seen over and over again how our modern laws, economics, and practices are remarkably inferior to that given in the scriptures. I no longer believe in the myth of progress. At best history is cyclic and we're in the stage where our modern ideals collapse society.

True but I was excluding miracles.

I have a friend who is into You Tube prophets and she needs her knees replaced but won't do it because she's waiting for God to perform a miracle for her.

I keep telling her that He did perform a miracle for her! She was born in a place and time when doctors can fix people's knees! THAT is the miracle!

Think of all of the wonders that surround us every day and give thanks for these miracles that we take for granted!

Safe, clean, running water.
Flush toilets.
Electricity and all the wonders it makes possible for us.
Cars that travel faster in one hour than people used to travel on foot in a week!
Airplanes that cross oceans in a few hours when the trip by sailboat took months...assuming you arrived at all.

We LIVE in a time of miracles! And we should be grateful for them!

I have a friend who is into You Tube prophets and she needs her knees replaced but won't do it because she's waiting for God to perform a miracle for her.

I keep telling her that He did perform a miracle for her! She was born in a place and time when doctors can fix people's knees! THAT is the miracle!

Think of all of the wonders that surround us every day and give thanks for these miracles that we take for granted!

Safe, clean, running water.
Flush toilets.
Electricity and all the wonders it makes possible for us.
Cars that travel faster in one hour than people used to travel on foot in a week!
Airplanes that cross oceans in a few hours when the trip by sailboat took months...assuming you arrived at all.

We LIVE in a time of miracles! And we should be grateful for them!
She has faith that Yah will heal her.
Maybe He will, maybe not. But be careful about interfering with someone’s faith.

Back