• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

עֵ֖זֶר understanding עֵ֖זֶר

Just always be mindful of the difference between "this is the correct interpretation" and "this is the way I choose to look at it", both as you consider the opinions of others and as you make up your own mind how you are going to choose to look at something (as opposed to thinking you are figuring out which one is 'right').

Just a thought:
Two children on a see-saw are in opposition to each other while balancing each other. Working in partnership.

Just a thought:
Two children on a see-saw are in opposition to each other while balancing each other. Working in partnership.

Maintaining proper tension in a passage...

I would like to add that I see the Talmud, as great source for getting a look at ancient Hebrew cultural beliefs and Etymology of the Hebrew language. There is a lot of wisdom there but also there are some wrong teachings. I see no difference in the opinions an interpetations of the Old Sages of the Talmud and the opinions and interpretations of the Old Sages of this Forum.;) There are Greater arguments, lesser arguements, wisdom and misinterptations we try to work through.

So first I want to say, "great stuff" on some of the wisdom of the sages of old you found.
Now regarding your last post:

There is an absolute sea of difference between us meager forum commentors and the wisdom of the great sages who are quoted in the talmud.
This is not a bash on the older gents here; it's just not a fair comparison to compare working men to guys whose vocation was to study 10+ hours / day and to serve as judges in application of the bible regarding great legal cases. The difference in opinions between the folks here and the folks in those tomes is a gulf apart.
Regarding there being "some wrong teachings" in the talmud, this is why the minority opinion is always included. The talmudic thought process is to share the majority opinion as well as the dissenting or "wrong teaching" opinion. Talmud study is supposed to sharpen one's reasoning ability and train them in how to properly interpret Torah teaching.
As such, the compilers considered even the wrong teachings, since they were from such amazing men who had vast swaths of scripture memorized in the Hebrew, to still have some merit to it.
One great example of this is the opinion that anyone who says G-d's name out loud as it is written in the bible has no part in the world to come.
This is of course an extreme and minority opinion but the opinion itself has an ominous warning which makes us think; or at least it should, before the sacred 4 letter name of G-d is uttered, written, etc. It is the "wrong teaching" which can at times speak volumes because of the holiness of the teacher.

I suspect your statement was made because you may be concerned about the crunching of eggshells whenever the Rabbis are referenced :)

For those following this emerging thread: I have moved this from the Seekers forum to the Marriage Issues forum because I think it's a better fit for now. Considering opening some new forum categories and will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, in every generation there's a tension between the old and new, the traditions of the fathers and the new insights of the sons, a due respect for the past without getting stuck in nostalgia, and a useful "understanding of the times and knowledge of what we should do" (see 1 Ch 12:22) without rejecting the hard-won wisdom of our elders. Let's respect the tension and move forward.

I'm sorry. I think I made a mistake in my previous post;
http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/עֵ֖זֶר-understanding-עֵ֖זֶר.13845/#post-156757

In it I had indicated (apparently incorrectly) that Adam was speaking in Gen 2:24.
I just read Matthew 19:4-5, and it seems to indicate that El was the one speaking in v24, and not Adam.

I've heard the view that Adam was a prophet. This is based partly on Christ's statement that Abel was one of the prophets (Luke 11:50-51). If Adam was also a prophet, he could have spoken the words of God, (but in any case, Caiaphas "prophesied" without any official appointment as a prophet).

Back