• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

1 Peter 3:1-6

Evo

Female
Dear ladies,

I am trying to understand this verse.

What do you do when you are very disappointed with your husband? When you reach a point where you may regret?
When he behaves in a very very selfish way? When you are at your lowest and he's absent, when he doesn't realise how badly he's hurting you?
Then you fear that with time if he doesn't change, you might end up "stop loving him"
A husband who gives more importance to friends, who spends more time with friends than his own family.
Hanging out with friends who have failed in their marriage?

My Mother-in-Law has told me several times that marriage is a good deal about the art of forgiveness. She just celebrated her 71st wedding anniversary! Husbands fail at times, it is just the truth, but we must do our very best to forgive and trust in our Heavenly Father to provide the things we need when our husband can't or doesn't. Ask the Lord to help you have a heart towards your husband when you feel he is lacking in his duties. Understanding and grace go a long way if we will walk in them. Pray for him to be the man that God would desire him to be. Try various ways to communicate your concerns in a respectful manner. Make an effort to understand what things or behaviors make him feel loved and respected, then do them as a faithful act to him (and God) and hopefully gain his ear to hear your concerns. Work on your own behaviors that they would be pleasing to God, and your husband. Pray that God will give insight into the reasons for your husband's actions and also examine your own expectations and desires at this moment. It might be something hard to think about, but truth always sets us free in the end. Remember that God has your back and loves you very much! My prayers are with you.

It’s really easy to look at where your husband may be failing and in return become someone your husband doesn’t want to hang out with. In the waiting, pray for him. Make his home warm and inviting through different actions- keeping it clean, having a good and kind attitude, with his favorite foods and putting on whatever outfits of yours that are his favorite (even if that is to wear nothing at all.)

All these things will honor God, as well.

This verse says it all
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, - 1 Peter 3:1

Let God work in his heart as God works in your own.

Back