• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

1: When does marriage begin? - Sex

Not to be controversial: I'm kidding of course I'm trying to be controversial, I don't think this passage refers to marriage....
You opened the door now!

We are talking about the same verse, right? Leviticus 18:18?

But it uses the word marriage right in the verse? Are you saying that the verse is mistranslated or what?

https://biblehub.com/leviticus/18-18.htm
Far be it from me to put words in the delightfully-colorful mouth of @ZecAustin, but my hunch is that Zec isn't specifically asserting that the verse itself doesn't refer to marriage, because pretty much every translation includes something about wives or marrying; instead, he's asserting that the issue in the verse isn't referring to marriage but that the issue is the vexing, rivaling, confounding or otherwise pitting sisters against each other.

And whether I'm properly channeling Zec or not, I would further assert that 18:18 is even more generally cautionary, because we should be admonished not to do anything to create a competitively antagonistic atmosphere between sister wives.

You opened the door now!

We are talking about the same verse, right? Leviticus 18:18?

But it uses the word marriage right in the verse? Are you saying that the verse is mistranslated or what?

https://biblehub.com/leviticus/18-18.htm

Full disclosure: purposeful injection of controversy to follow:

I went to your link at BibleHub, @cnystrom, and I found the following clear mistranslation of Leviticus 18:18:

Contemporary English Version
As long as your wife is alive, don't cause trouble for her by taking one of her sisters as a second wife.
This is a great example of distorting the original languaging for the purposes of pushing an agenda.

Far be it from me to put words in the delightfully-colorful mouth of @ZecAustin,

And whether I'm properly channeling Zec or not, I would further assert that 18:18 is even more generally cautionary, because we should be admonished not to do anything to create a competitively antagonistic atmosphere between sister wives.

While true, I don’t think that is what @ZecAustin is getting at.

One thing that's good for putting things in context: Ask what it would be like if a thing were not so, or if its opposite were true. In this case, what might lead to a man marrying sisters — what might be in his mind — and what might result? And, more to the point, do these look like bad things, the sort for which a prohibition might be needed? One possible scenario:
  1. I want to take that young woman (A) to wife.
  2. Hmm, she's difficult.
  3. Oh, but her sister (B) keeps her in check.
  4. Hey, the sister is also available, and I've got means to obtain her as well.
  5. Well, then, hot dang! I'll get both, and then I won't have to deal with A's problems.
  6. *BZZZZT!* Wrong answer, dickhead! Your responsibility as husband is not something you can delegate to a woman.

Your responsibility as husband is not something you can delegate to a woman.
Yes, but you might be surprised at how a good leader can sometimes empower a wife as an helpmeet in managing his household.

This does sound like manipulation, but it isn’t if done correctly.

Last edited:
Good point. Maybe I should have left #6 off, I just thought maybe I'd better end it with some remark as to why this version of marrying sisters might represent a bad course, and the bit about delegation is what I came up with off the top of my head.

Good point. Maybe I should have left #6 off, I just thought maybe I'd better end it with some remark as to why this version of marrying sisters might represent a bad course, and the bit about delegation is what I came up with off the top of my head.
Actually, a family is a team. So if in two potential members of the team, one of them has a moderating effect upon the other, how is that a bad thing?

@Joleneakamama, could you please point me to where it states that a man marrying a woman AND her daughter carried the death penalty under The Law?

It is phrased reverse of what I remembered but Lev. 20:14 reads
14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

It is phrased reverse of what I remembered but Lev. 20:14 reads
14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

Thank you for that, @Joleneakamama. I don't know how I missed that. I notice, though, two things (and the language is the same in the CVOT [Concordant Version Old Testament] as in common versions):

1. This does not refer to marrying a woman and her mother; it refers to 'taking', in the context of being sandwiched between verse 13 that declares the death sentence for any "man who lies with a male as bedding with a woman," and verse 15 that declares the death penalty for any "man who gives his emission to a beast." These two bookends are not marriage issues; they refer to sexual behaviors that, especially in the case of bestiality, are not tied to marriage (if I'm wrong about that, please send me that verse).

2. Again, we're confronted with the connecting word 'and', and this time it's associated with 'taking' the wife and her mother simultaneously in a sexual sense. This, therefore, does nothing to detach me from the conclusion that this mother/daughter combination is a specific prohibition against group or simultaneous sex with a mother/daughter pair, which both by its emphasis and the omission of further pair prohibitions would indicate that God hasn't prohibited simultaneous group sex with a husband and more than one of his wives.

The only other conclusion that comes to mind is that this verse you've provided (Leviticus 20:14) could be pointing, given the use of the word 'wife' instead of 'woman' (as in Leviticus 18:17), to prohibiting a situation in which a man is married to the wife and then takes the wife's mother as a sexual partner or wife, but I find that to be more of a stretch, and therefore a less reasonable supposition.

[I noticed when re-reading this just now (9:37am 8/24) that I had left out the word 'not' in the second sentence of the second paragraph, so I figured it was important enough to edit.]

Last edited:
I think that it is a different way of saying that a man cannot marry his own daughter.

And stepdaughter?

Well, very clearly he could not make love with both of them at the same, because that would put the mother and her daughter in the position of uncovering the nakedness of their near kin. That a man can't marry his own daughter is already covered in Leviticus 18. Leviticus 20 is clearly delineating special severe punishments for especially heinous sexual transgressions.

And stepdaughter?
I think not.
While I would definitely disparage marrying your stepdaughter, I don’t see that it crosses the same lines.

I also don’t agree that parsing the verbiage to mean sex at the same time cuts the mustard. But that’s just me, I cannot prove it.
As you pointed out, @Keith, it is sandwiched in between some really big no-no’s, and that would appear to indicate that it is way bad.

I think there is a message even in the story of Lot and the incest with his daughters. People may argue that this was before the law was given, but YHWH said He knew Abraham that he would keep YHWH'S law and instruct his (Abraham's) household. So it stands to reason that they were not ignorant of the righteous moral standard.
The story relates that the daughters "conceived "of this plan that would result in "conception" and then carried it out. It tells us Lot didnt know what happened. Maybe he thought he was dreaming if he was aware of anything? I could imagine him saying yes to some more wine the next night because he thought it was a dream! The fact that the daughters had to trick him implies strongly that this was a no no that he would not have gone along with it willingly.

I think there is a message even in the story of Lot and the incest with his daughters. People may argue that this was before the law was given, but YHWH said He knew Abraham that he would keep YHWH'S law and instruct his (Abraham's) household. So it stands to reason that they were not ignorant of the righteous moral standard.
The story relates that the daughters "conceived "of this plan that would result in "conception" and then carried it out. It tells us Lot didnt know what happened. Maybe he thought he was dreaming if he was aware of anything? I could imagine him saying yes to some more wine the next night because he thought it was a dream! The fact that the daughters had to trick him implies strongly that this was a no no that he would not have gone along with it willingly.

No doubt it was a no no, @Joleneakamama. The necessity to scheme to get their father drunk is evidence of that, but all they did was get him high on a drug (alcohol) that would lower his inhibitions, so your implication that Lot wouldn't mind agreeing to more wine on Night Two could probably safely be said to accurately represent what he as a man would desire if put in that position. After all, it isn't that God creates us as men not to recognize that our daughters are desirable -- instead He instills within our consciences a revulsion related to encouraging us to recognize that having that kind of relationship with our daughters would be counterproductive in a variety of ways.

However, especially in the context of this particular discussion thread in its recent posts, it's interesting to note how either Lot's daughters or their resulting descendants were punished for the father-seducers' indiscretions. Like Balthasar Hubmaier, I always stand ready to be corrected about Scripture, but the only big punishments for either the Moabites or the Ammonites (the two lines resulting from the two daddy-sperm pregnancies) of which I'm aware were the restrictions later placed on (male-only) Moabites and Ammonites from converting to Judaism (Deuteronomy 23:3) -- but this punishment wasn't a result of their being descended from incestuous ancestors; instead it resulted from the two tribes' lack of hospitality to the nation of Israel as it relocated from Egypt to Palestine.

it's interesting to note how either Lot's daughters or their resulting descendants were punished for the father-seducers' indiscretions.
As I understand it, the girls thought that the situation was a true SHTF scenario in which only the three of them were left to repopulate the earth. They don’t appear to have been judged for their lack of logic.

For what it's worth, Institute for scripture research (the scriptures) does say marry in Lev. 20:14 ‘If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.'

@Keith Martin The trouble I see with your view is if it is bad enough to require the death penalty (sandwiched between mucho bad transgressions) but is speaking of something done in private that only the participants would know about, who among the guilty (all three are suposed to die) would ever reveal the sin? Is this just written to keep the hubby from boasting, or one of the women from blabbing about personal stuff?

I see the spirit of Leviticus 18 more as encouraging men to have a protective view of mother in laws, step daughters, and of course their own daughters rather then looking at them with lustful intentions. It's about boundaries, and the natural modesty and discretion that, unless damaged, exists in familial relationships.

Too many men rationalize using and abusing step daughters because they aren't related, and too many men father children with their own daughters too. Would it really be any better for the girl to be taken as a wife by her step father, (or natural father) putting her into a perpetual familial relationship with her mother who is also a wife, if dad (or is that hubby?) just avoided bedding them at the same time?

I think YHWH put that law there to prohibit "cohabitating sexual relations" between people who should already have a non-sexual familial relationship. We call it marriage now, but back then the terms for wife and husband were not as clear and commonly understood.

I think not.
While I would definitely disparage marrying your stepdaughter, I don’t see that it crosses the same lines.

I also don’t agree that parsing the verbiage to mean sex at the same time cuts the mustard. But that’s just me, I cannot prove it.
As you pointed out, @Keith, it is sandwiched in between some really big no-no’s, and that would appear to indicate that it is way bad.

Not that my opinion would do one thing to move the actual truth one iota, and I also cannot prove any of this (I'm hoping to eventually have a cool conversation about this with Moses, but he's still dead, so I'll have to wait on that), but we do have God-given logic at our disposal, so I pose a question for us to ponder, given that we've come up with a couple different ways to interpret the phrasing of Lev. 20:14:

If we were judges (Old Testament or otherwise) and had four cases before us, which would we consider to be the more heinous? If we had a limited supply of stones with which to execute people, which would we believe we should punish more severely? In each case, the husband would be brought before us, and for the sake of this thought experiment all the women involved were fertile enough for the liaisons to produce children. I suggest ordering them with #1 being the worst transgression, down to #4 being the least transgressive:

a. Man A married his own biological daughter and was known to have already consummated that marriage;

b. Man B married several different totally-unrelated women and exclusively engaged in group orgies with them, all fully naked, and all fully engaged with each other;

c. Man C married a woman and then later married the woman's daughter who was not his biological offspring but was the 1st woman's biological offspring -- but the husband painstakingly ensured that these two women were never in the same room together with him when anything remotely sexual took place between him and one of them (thus creating two quite separate marriages that prevented any uncovering of nakedness between mother and daughter); and

d. Man D married both a woman and her daughter, his stepdaughter -- and he was known to have full sexual activity with both women at the same time (thus ensuring the uncovering of nakedness between mother and daughter); neither woman was his biological relative, but they were biological mother and daughter.
We know that none of this is really up to us. But, still, which marriage most thoroughly violates the spirit of Leviticus 18 and 20? Which least violates the spirit of those passages?

My vote is that the worst is Man D, followed closely by Man A. Both are clear violations of Scripture, but Man D's transgression is worse, because he is responsible for not only his part in the matter but for encouraging the two other people to have sex with their own near kin -- which in the Levitical context deserved the death penalty. @Joleneakamama, I do acknowledge that many translations use 'marry' instead of 'take' in Lev. 20:14, but I don't trust the accuracy of those translations, given that the Concordant Version uses 'take'. With that in mind especially, I see Man C as being far removed from the level of transgression in either Man D's or Man A's case -- even if one insists on going with 'marry' in 20:14 despite it not being a literal translation. If I'm wrong, then we need an explanation for why a man (who bears the primary responsibility in every one of these situations) would only be banished from his people when he marries his daughter but would be put to death (along with the other 2 participants) for simply marrying a woman and her (not his) daughter.

And I don't even see Man B as a transgressor, except for the extent to which he might be refusing his due benevolence to provide one or more of his wives with some private passion time.

[This is a major re-write of the original posting, earlier this afternoon, that wasn't clear, contained errors, and failed to offer a sufficient number of distinct scenarios. I beg the forgiveness of anyone whom I have managed to confuse because of the earlier post.]

Stepchildren is a Western culture problem.

Other than widows, Naomi/Ruth, do we have any situations where the possible marriage of a mother/child relationship exists in the OT?

@Keith Martin The trouble I see with your view is if it is bad enough to require the death penalty (sandwiched between mucho bad transgressions) but is speaking of something done in private that only the participants would know about, who among the guilty (all three are suposed to die) would ever reveal the sin? Is this just written to keep the hubby from boasting, or one of the women from blabbing about personal stuff?

I don't think that applies, here or elsewhere, when it comes to Scripture. Any form of moral training, from The Law on downward, is never meant just for situations in which people are caught; by definition, that would be a sociopathic approach to morals, translated loosely as, "It's only wrong if I get caught." Therefore, any argument one way or another about right and wrong that asserts that something is only wrong if not done in private (or even doesn't deserve punishment unless not done in private) is consistently a red herring.

Laws, rules, policies, guidelines, etc. are not just for the purposes of meting out judgment or preventing gossiping or boasting -- but perhaps are primarily intended to engage consciences. Their primary function is to prevent, through inspiring the average person to recognizing that something tempting should not be pursued.

I see the spirit of Leviticus 18 more as encouraging men to have a protective view of mother in laws, step daughters, and of course their own daughters rather than looking at them with lustful intentions.

Now this I am sort of 100% in agreement with you on, the only caveat being that I would assert that Leviticus 18 is intended to manage behavior, not intentions. We do, though, have to assume with your statement that it's being applied to situations in which the stepdaughters were present in a general sense from the time a man marries her mother. In that context, the man is responsible for protecting and providing for stepdaughters and should develop his relationship upon that supposition. Generally speaking, this would be understood to preclude having sexual intentions.

It's about boundaries, and the natural modesty and discretion that, unless damaged, exists in familial relationships.

'Boundaries', 'natural modesty', 'discretion' and 'unless damaged' are all very relativized sociopsychological constructions that I consider to inject indeterminancy into this or any other serious discussion. We can see in our own relatively-brief lifespans the degree to which such words and phrases have morphed from one accepted meaning to another as our culture has mutated. And every one of them can be used (and has been used) to demonize Biblical polygamy.

The aspect of this thread that speaks about whether or not Lot and his daughters might have been victims of limited choices points to the canard that familial relationships are 'natural;' if they were, we wouldn't need any guidelines, because the vast majority of people would do what was natural, and only those who strayed outside whatever you think natural family relationships are would need the effective tactics of shaming and reshaping. Leviticus 18 wasn't just preaching to the choir; it must have reflected a need for clarification. This many centuries later, we tend to take a lot of such guidelines almost for granted, but we shouldn't -- and the evidence that our culture doesn't take them for granted is seen in the turmoil of the culture wars, as well as in a continual string of bizarre attempts to reshape what is good and right (today it was the story about how a human being born as a woman but who identifies as a man wants compensation in the form of financial remuneration and legislation that penalizes 'cis' men for not having to go through periods; why? because she considers it unfair that she still has to menstruate when she doesn't consider herself to be a woman anymore -- and this kind of thing is taken somewhat seriously).

There's also nothing natural about 'modesty.' However one defines 'modesty' (and, whoa, I promise you the working definitions even in this small Biblical Families subset of humanity might run the gamut), instilling that concept and its associated set of behaviors must be taught, by parents, peers and authority figures; otherwise, a whole lot of people would just run around naked, because that's actually a lot more natural. The same can be said for 'boundaries' and 'discretion.'

And if you want to open up a can of worms, start trying to pin down what it means to be 'damaged.'

Too many men rationalize using and abusing step daughters because they aren't related, and too many men father children with their own daughters too. Would it really be any better for the girl to be taken as a wife by her step father, (or natural father) putting her into a perpetual familial relationship with her mother who is also a wife, if dad (or is that hubby?) just avoided bedding them at the same time?

I think YHWH put that law there to prohibit "cohabitating sexual relations" between people who should already have a non-sexual familial relationship. We call it marriage now, but back then the terms for wife and husband were not as clear and commonly understood.

Granted, those terms weren't as clear or commonly understood (although I wouldn't bet on them being that clear or understood these days, nor am I comfortable with having them legislatively pinpointed, given who would end up being in charge of creating the rules), but what I trust is that our Father felt compelled to lay down just as much Law as He thought appropriate, which means that He left room for what we could agree on would be some level of discretion on our part. Again, I consider the issue of men rationalizing abusing people for whatever reason to be a bit of a red herring, because it's a de facto mistake to create rules specifically designed to prevent sociopaths from doing what sociopaths do; all that gets accomplished is unnecessarily restricting those with a conscience in a misguided belief that sociopaths will stop being sociopaths (think the truism about how gun control laws have no effect on criminals).

You assert that the law was there to prohibit cohabiting sexual relationships between people who should already have a non-sexual familial relationship. I suspect stigma, in combination with the comprehensive list Father gave the Israelites in Leviticus, would generally keep most of those with a conscience in line, because any group would have little problem defining what it meant to "already have a non-sexual familial relationship." But asserting that something was clear enough to be a death-penalty offense when translation problems exist and we're not even the people with whom Father had that particular set of covenants is problematic. Think of it this way: we can probably all agree that it would be inappropriate, even heinous, to marry a woman with an 8-year-old daughter, then snag the daughter as a new wife on her 18th birthday after having functioned as a father figure for 10 years. But what about this alternative scenario: what if you're the same man, you marry a woman with an 18-year-old daughter who has herself just recently married. She married into a remote, separate clan and lives more than a day's journey away. 10 years later, her husband is killed in an accident, and no one in that remote clan is prepared to take on the stepdaughter and her now 4 children. You have never even met her -- just heard about her -- or maybe you've encountered each other briefly a couple times over the decade at family gatherings. Would it be a boundary violation in that case, or potentially damaging, for you to offer to marry her? Remember, this is still your wife's daughter, but without your offer she may go uncovered, unprotected and her children will lack the continual presence of a caring father figure.

I'm not asserting that such a scenario would be common, but I am asserting that it's questionable to lump all wife/mother - stepdaughter/daughter frameworks into one compartment that comes up looking creepy.

Back