• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

18% of South Africans support polygamy

JustAGuy

Male
"...18% of respondents agreed that it was not a problem for a man to have more than one wife." Mail & Guardian newspaper, January, 2010 http://mg.co.za/article/2010-01-11-most ... rvey-shows

The comments at bottom of article say survey likely excluded suburban & rural areas (only metropolitan areas were surveyed) otherwise might have even higher percentages!

18% is a pretty high percentage of support!

The comments at bottom of article say survey likely excluded suburban & rural areas (only metropolitan areas were surveyed) otherwise might have even higher percentages!

when I saw the 18% I wondered why it was so low, but that explains it. how sad that the most "modern" areas are the ones with the least understanding.

Sad but true. Although we would think more of the black population will support it. We are a white polygamous family and feels like we're the only ones in South Africa! You cannot tell any one about it, because they just don't understand.

Welcome to the forum Beerki, it's good to have you here. Feel free to do a post in the "introductions" section if you like, I am sure many readers would be interested in understanding what life is like for a polygynous family in SA. It surprises me that you feel you can't tell anyone, that is interesting, particularly given you've currently got a polygynous president. I would have thought that at least a reasonable chunk of the society would be more accepting.

Hi Beerki - I'm pretty new to this group but have found people knowledgeable, wise and right on target. Hope you get time to engage here. Welcome!

Back