• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

911 attacks

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
I'm wanting to get my 12 year old son learning about this for his next history assignment. Does anyone have any good links with information about it? He doesn't know a lot, so it needs to start with the basic outline of what happened. I'm also interested in both viewpoints, the mainstream info, and the 'conspiracy theory' info, but not too in depth that it overwhelms him.

Oh, and no books that I will have to order from the USA and will cost me twice as much to have them send here and get here in a month or two. I'm keen on websites or videos online, I'd like to start him on this as soon as possible.

I would suggest learning about The Falling Man for the reasons that the media would rather you not know about this and because the one picture is so personal and human. This man had a choice between burning to death or leaping to his death. Either way he was going to die and confronting this choice of his personalizes the 9/11 attacks in a way no simple news article or woke lesson would.

FallingMan.jpg

The difficulty is finding brief introductions to the overall situation. Thankyou @The Revolting Man, PragerU does have a good video outlining the standard viewpoint on it for use as an introduction to the history for children who weren't born at the time. But other than that, most material jumps straight into details and assumes you already know the overall historical events. This is true for both mainstream sources (e.g. everything on the "Falling Man") and even more the case for everyone offering alternative perspectives on events. Most people want to teach you more about a detail that they have studied at length, and make multiple-hour-long documentaries digging into that detail, full of imagery that is unsuitable for young children. Or are very focussed on shock-horror imagery aimed at inducing an emotional reaction. Few step back to present a simple historical narrative succinctly. That's the sort of thing we're really looking for. Maybe most people are still too closely connected to the events to look at them as a dispassionate historian?

Several 5-30 minute videos and/or articles that take that sort of reading time for a young person, presenting the whole thing from different perspectives that the child can then compare and contrast, would be good. PragerU gives an excellent starting point.

The difficulty is finding brief introductions to the overall situation. Thankyou @The Revolting Man, PragerU does have a good video outlining the standard viewpoint on it for use as an introduction to the history for children who weren't born at the time. But other than that, most material jumps straight into details and assumes you already know the overall historical events. This is true for both mainstream sources (e.g. everything on the "Falling Man") and even more the case for everyone offering alternative perspectives on events. Most people want to teach you more about a detail that they have studied at length, and make multiple-hour-long documentaries digging into that detail, full of imagery that is unsuitable for young children. Or are very focussed on shock-horror imagery aimed at inducing an emotional reaction. Few step back to present a simple historical narrative succinctly. That's the sort of thing we're really looking for. Maybe most people are still too closely connected to the events to look at them as a dispassionate historian?

Several 5-30 minute videos and/or articles that take that sort of reading time for a young person, presenting the whole thing from different perspectives that the child can then compare and contrast, would be good. PragerU gives an excellent starting point.
I wonder if this is one of those opportunities for someone (like your family) to make it an educational project to produce material for others(?) Just wondering.... .

I wonder if this is one of those opportunities for someone (like your family) to make it an educational project to produce material for others(?) Just wondering.... .
I have been thinking about just that, not on this topic specifically but on others. I'm going through a science project on electronics with our kids and some other homeschoolers, and the other day I was looking for a simple video explaining what a transistor does. You'd think that would exist - and it does - but every one I found just overcomplicated it, so I ended up teaching myself and then finding my own way of explaining it. I keep having to do this on many different things. It's not a bad idea at all.

I have been thinking about just that, not on this topic specifically but on others. I'm going through a science project on electronics with our kids and some other homeschoolers, and the other day I was looking for a simple video explaining what a transistor does. You'd think that would exist - and it does - but every one I found just overcomplicated it, so I ended up teaching myself and then finding my own way of explaining it. I keep having to do this on many different things. It's not a bad idea at all.
Yes, I learnt a lot home educating my kids. And we made some fun videos with the kids along the way.

Have you had your kids try building crystal radios? That was a fun thing we did to get the kids started on electronics.

Have you had your kids try building crystal radios? That was a fun thing we did to get the kids started on electronics.
No, but they've been making lots of other things. Yesterday was spent soldering up kitsets, including one transistor radio and one radiotransmitter.

Back