• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A 21-year perspective on retreats...

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Many years ago, when my family was just becoming plural, we drove 11 hours or more one way to retreats by a long-gone Christian PM ministry (it’s where we learned to do retreats, and their benefit for us, actually) on at least 5 occasions. We did it with babies and small kids. We took vacation time. It was a hassle, and it cost us, and got us in trouble with family at least once. And I don’t regret that effort at all, it was well worth it for us. (Indeed, I doubt we would have survived, as a family, those early years, alone.) In April, for the 2nd retreat in a row, I’m unemployed, but at least two of us will be traveling cross-country for the West Coast retreat - it’s part of what we do with our tithe, and the value has not diminished. We had a few years in between those early retreats and BF, where we were not able to get together with other plural, and accepting, families (we actually call that our years ‘in the desert’) - and we don’t intend to ever have that be the case again. Retreats are our ‘feasts’ (no matter when they occur), and our ‘trip to the temple’, and our primary time of fellowship, regardless of the fact that we are involved with local Christians, and have family close by. And we’re not going because we’re needed - Andrew and Ron could easily lead. We go, primarily, for us.

I’m just saying: if retreats with other biblical families (and I always use that term for those accepting, regardless of current family size) are right for you - they may really be needed, and it’d be a shame to let practical stuff (money, kids, travel, family, etc) keep you away. And it may be more than a shame - I think it can be an attack of the enemy, that keeps some families away, some times.

It would be nice if we all lived in the same town (OK, some on the OTHER side of town. :) ), but that hasn't happened (yet!).

Our summer family retreat and conference in August will find families coming for all parts of the country (in the past, some have come from half-way around the world) - we have to do this one somewhat centrally located, and we know it’s a big commitment for everyone who comes, in time and effort and money.

If you haven’t been to a retreat, prayerful consider it, count the cost, but know that you may not fully appreciate the benefits yet. If you want to know more about Biblical Families retreats, and why we feel this way, please feel free to contact myself or Julie, or Andrew and his family, and ask questions.

100% bro, 100%

My family knows that the ONLY time that they can count on me to be available is for retreats. Not so much 3 per year, but a solid 2.
I approach it like I do a tithe, I am not able to produce the cost/benefit analysis, but it totally matters. For us AND for others. We are all in this together for the future even though we cannot see how it matters.
YHWH is doing His plan, we cannot see it but it is happening.

Back