• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Greek Scholar Speaks About the Wrong Way to Study

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
I confess this is an odd post and something that may sound strange to come from the pen (keyboard) of one who loves education immensely. But I believe it will be helpful to some who may have been subjected to the "if you only knew Hebrew and Greek like I do you would understand this to be true or that to be true" argumentation.

Sometimes people due to pride get "educated." They go through our schools, our seminaries, or they fall in "love" with the idea of knowledge and they begin to use knowledge in an improper way.

One of the greatst sins of the Roman Catholic Church was that they kept the word of God locked up in languages that the people could not speak. They made people feel ignorant, stupid, and kept them in prison to darkness because the people could not read the language their Bible was written in.

Yet some Protestants do the same thing. Some toot their horn and play the same game with the Hebrew and Greek languages. They try and make the average person feel unable to truly understand who God is unless they aquire a special skill of being able to read the biblical languages.

They Hebrew root you and Greek stem you to death. You walk away feeling as if you have been in more of a foreign language class than in a session designed for your edification in Christ.

Often hypocrisy is behind the real motive. What these Protestants really are wanting to do is to make others feel subservient, then they go study the languages, or have the training in the languages and they use their knowledge to make others feel like without them they, the average non-trained person, cannot truly read and understand the teachings of the Bible.

In essence they are doing the same thing the Roman Catholic Church leaders did. Can a knowledge of Hebrew and Greek help? Certainly it does. But one must ask for what purpose is one learning the languages.

Unless one is going to translate the Bible for a ethnic group that has no native translation one does not need to be or have an advanced knowledge of Hebrew or Greek to be able to work with the languages of English and Hebrew and Greek behind the English to rightfully understand his or her Bible.

Some might think why would I say that when I've had so much training in seminary myself in the original languages. Is that not counter productive to the claim we need to be educated?

No not really. God has raised up some very fine scholars who have produced some very honorable, faithful, and overall good Bible translations. A person who neither reads Greek nor Hebrew, but who can properly read English and use research tools, can discover the meaning of Scripture and arrive at faithful conclusions about what the text means.

Listen to what one Greek scholar says about this. His words expose the bad idea of people trying to learn Hebrew or Greek in order to discover some hidden meaning that supposedly no one but the elite and well trained can find, a reason in which some use as to why only they can truly understand the Bible. He says:

"Perhaps the most common danger comes from those who approach the Greek with unrealistic expectations. Most references to the original Greek in sermons and articles refer to the meaning of certain Greek words as if the Greek unlocks a deeper and more accurate meaning disguised by English translations. So many people then go on to learn Greek intending to unearth some previously ignored word meaning that will have a significant effect in their Bible study. I believe this estimation of the purpose of original language study is unrealistic and does not do justice to the value and work of translators. The first job of translators is to render the meaning of the Greek in English. they have many tools at their disposal to accomplish their task and to render their understanding of the Greek in English accurately. So when a dabbler discovers something in the Greek that isn't represented in translations, instead of thinking he has unerathed a golden nugget of meaning he should rather take it as a warning that he may have done something wrong. After a time of study, students sometimes say that the work involved in acquiring Greek skills isn't worth the effort because they rarely see anything that substantially differs from their English translation. Their disappointment is the result of an unrealistic expectation of the purpose of Greek study. Beginners should not expect to correct translators who have years of experience. Rather, they should be encouraged that they are doing something right by coming to the same conclusions as those who are more advanced. Yet, this is not to say that we shouldn't expect Greek study to affect our understanding of the Scriptures in ways not available to those who are completely dependent on English translations. It is just that the fruit of our labors will normally be in areas other than word meaning" (John Schwandt, Classical Languages Scholar at St. Andrews College where he teaches Greek, Latin, and Hebrew).

There are some places in the Bible where word meanings are disputed but in these cases it is fairly obvious because multiple English translations will show the various opinions of scholars. Or even some basic critical commentaries will show the disputes over a word or phrase.

Outside of these areas there is very little that an English reader can not glean from using their English Bible along with some other helpful study tools by the more advanced scholars.

Now of course what I have just said will not be taken very well by those who want to pad their colleges and seminaries with more students who pay the tuition prices which pay for their salaries. I understand this position is not advantageous for marketing the need for advanced language study in the school contexts.

I am not saying that one should not study the languages if he or she has such an interest and calling in their life. I have been deeply blessed and enriched by my studies in both Hebrew and Greek in undergrad, grad, and post grad schools.

But, overall generally speaking, the main, essential, and most important doctrines of the Bible can be understood and embraced even by the English only saint. And with a little bit of of training with some word study tools where there are some differences among translations a saint can use the aid of other scholars enough to do rather well at arriving at a safe conclusion if one will remain humble and pliable to good research tools.

So, be aware of those who make too much of the Hebrew and Greek. At times it is important when there is a doctrinal dispute as it can bring to light some things. But some people who claim to be Protestant are still doing what Rome did to their disciples. They speak and teach as if you cannot truly know what God means unless you have years of training in the original languages. In many cases this is only a prideful ploy to their own self-exaltation so they can make you feel as if you cannot understand the main truths of the Bible.

Scholarship is indeed important but a true scholar can take what they have learned and articulate it in such a way that even an English only person can understand and grasp it. And I'm speaking as one who has logged an enormous amount of time in rigorous academic study in various disciplines and subjects. We who are educated are sometimes prone to use our education the wrong way and if we are not careful we'll fall back into the same trap as did Rome by making our disciples feel as if they cannot glean truth from their English Bible because they do not know Hebrew or Greek.

I had an old preacher tell me one time tell me that you could study all the greek, hebrew, aramaic and pig latin all you want, but it will not change anything that wasn't already in plain sight in the Scriptures. As I've grown older, I couldn't agree more. There is no hidden meaning.....no numerology...no Bible code....just the Word.

Martin Luther, the great Protestant reformer, wrote the following in regard to the importance of understanding Greek and Hebrew when studying the Scriptures: "The languages are the sheath in which the sword of the Spirit is contained." God sovereignly chose to have His Word written in Hebrew (the Old Testament) and Greek (the New Testament).

Our modern English translations are excellent. Most of the major English translations available today are superb renderings of the original Greek and Hebrew. However, in any translation, not everything that was communicated in the original language can be precisely conveyed in another language. Some nuances do not transfer well from one language to another. As a result, a translation rarely is a perfect rendering of the original.

An example of this is the "aspect" of Greek verbs. English verbs have tenses—past, present, and future. Greek verbs have these same tenses, but they also have what is known as "aspect." Present-tense Greek verbs mean more than the action is occurring presently. A Greek verb can also carry the meaning that the action is occurring continually or repeatedly. This is lost in English unless the aspect word "continually" or "repeatedly" is added to the translation along with the verb. A specific example of this is Ephesians 5:18, "...be filled with the Spirit." In the original Greek, this verse is telling us to continually be filled with the Spirit. It is not a one-time event—it is a lifelong process. This "aspect" is lost in the English translation.

With all that said, the Bible also makes it clear that the Spirit is the author of the Bible and that He will help us to understand the His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17; John 14:26). You do not have to know Hebrew and Greek in order to understand the Bible. God's intended message for us is accurately communicated in English. You can have confidence that God can reveal the meaning of His Word to you without your knowing Greek and Hebrew.

Perhaps this is a good analogy: reading the Bible without knowing Greek and Hebrew is like watching a 20" television, while reading the Bible knowing Greek and Hebrew is like watching a 65" LCD 1080p HDTV with stereo surround sound. You can understand what is going on with the 25" television, but the 60" plasma HDTV with stereo surround sound gives added depth and clarity. With the help of the Holy Spirit, anyone can accurately understand the Bible in English. However, knowing Hebrew and Greek helps to better understand the nuances and richness of the biblical texts.

Read Doc Burkhart's blog: http://docburkhartisthinking.blogspot.com

During my second pastorate, in a small town in rural Nebraska, I was doing a personal study through I Corinthians. The study (reading, praying and meditating) was going great, until I came to the last half of chapter 13. Then it seemed like I was reading in the dark. Being a good student, I went to my shelves and came back with two more translations and three commentaries. Can you guess what I found? Not one of the five references were in agreement with the other. Rather than trying to figure out which of the five learned sources was correct, I asked the Lord, what was up with this? He graciously reminded me that one of the ministries of the Holy Spirit in this world is to teach us His Word.

I put the references away, put my Bible in my chair and knelt beside it and prayed over the Word. I reminded God of His promise and I claimed His help as my supply. I thanked Him for the help, put the Bible on the desk, sat down and began reading at verse one. When I reached my place of difficulty, The appearence of the page was brighter and everything I read made sense. That was about thirty-five years ago and while I do occasionally read other authors and scholars for my edification, whenever there is an unsettling question, I resort to this practice. I ask the author and He gives me clarity.

How do I know that I am hearing clearly from Him? He tells other Truth seekers the same thing He told me. I am not the private depository of God's Truth. I am just one of many. There will be others that are sincerely and humbly seeking the knowledge of the Holy, that have heard the same thing. It is a blow to my pride because I want to be the ONE that discovers something that no one else has seen before. I would be better off looking for the Lost Dutchmans goldmine in Arizona than to find something new from God's Word. Solomon said "There is nothing new under the sun".

God is not the author of confusion or disorder. He will certainly teach His people the same thing, IF WE WILL RECEIVE IT. We have two ears and one mouth. That is the Creators hint that we should listen twice as much as we talk and that we should listen to Him well before we talk.

We are all, everyone of us, on the journey of growth and discovery of our wonderful and incomprehensible God. Let us look and listen before we talk, learning from the great Holy Spirit, God the teacher of the souls of men.

the first section of the first post is an amazing description of how the less educated are made to feel by certain personalities on this board.

john, that was a much needed breath of fresh air, it was getting kinda stuffy in here

Scholarship is essential to the larger family of God, for our understanding of God's Word. Many of use books for reference, helping us find and understand nuggets of Truth that must be mined from the Word. While there are many wonderful nuggets of divine Truth lying about for us to pick up the real wealth lies beneath the surface waiting to be dug up, veins rather than nuggets. In more than forty years of pastoral work, relying on God's Word and Spirit instruction, I have found that I have only scratched the surface of it's wealth.

There are men who have gone before me that have traversed the same ground that I now travel. It is wisdom for me to seek their report of discovery, to enable me to go beyond their pioneering work. Rarely do we realize that the highways we travel upon were once trails marked out by pioneers, who found them marked by others before them. Interstate 80 across Nebraska was once known as the Platte River Road by the pioneers in their wagons heading to Oregon and California, before them it was the French fur traders that pointed out the way. They learned of it from plains indian tribes.

Whether we realize it or not, we all stand on the backs of others in every learning process of our life, including learning God's Word. Such standing allows us to reach higher than they did. Scholarship is never a replacement of the Holy Spirits teaching ministry to the saints. Imagine scholarship as God's inspiration refined once again by every man that reads or hears it.
2 Timothy 2:1-3
Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
Where would we be today without the written work of Paul or John? Most of us use lexicons and certainly Strong's concordance and dictionary. We have these things because of scholarship. God's entire Bible is ours today because God inspired men to write down His Words and Thoughts. Scholarship at its finest.

I have discovered that no one can make me feel insufficient unless I let them. I know that there is not a better man than I anywhere in the world! Having said that, let me add that I am not better than other men, anywhere in the world. I AM better off than many and for that I thank God for His grace and mercy that makes it possible.

I hope that we can all appreciate the excellent scholarship available to us on this forum and treat it as a resource. The blessing is that we can read it without having to do the research or purchase the books or take the classes ourself. But by all means let us try everything by the Word under the Holy Spirit's unction. That is every believers responsibility. And every believers opportunity to be the one that shares what God Himself shows us during our visits to the Holy of Holies. Therefore we all benefit the family.

no one can make me feel insufficient unless I let them
feeling looked down upon by someone who expresses superiority is not the same as feeling insufficient.
often i am reminded of the story of the emperors new clothes while some take themselves too seriously

no one can make me feel insufficient unless I let them
Bad choice of words on my part. There is always someone looking down upon me, has been all my life. It doesn't matter to me what others think of me, I know the truth. What does matter to me is how I treat others. I'm trying to do that well, sometimes I need a humbling from above to keep me straight.

The applause or approval of men isn't what I strive for.

There are times when I feel inadequate to contest ideas that I know are contrary to scripture because I cannot argue with scholars who claim to have found hidden meaning behind a verse; after all, they read Greek or Hebrew and I do not. Thank you gentlemen for reassuring us that we can trust what we read in the numerous translations of the Bible that we have available to us! I am pleased to know that the message of His love is the same in Hebrew, Greek and good old English!

of course you are right,john
no matter how abusive the oppressor is, our own feelings are under our own control
now that i think about it, it was silly of me to share my perceptions.
please forgive me

An example of this is the "aspect" of Greek verbs. English verbs have tenses—past, present, and future. Greek verbs have these same tenses, but they also have what is known as "aspect." Present-tense Greek verbs mean more than the action is occurring presently. A Greek verb can also carry the meaning that the action is occurring continually or repeatedly. This is lost in English unless the aspect word "continually" or "repeatedly" is added to the translation along with the verb. A specific example of this is Ephesians 5:18, "...be filled with the Spirit." In the original Greek, this verse is telling us to continually be filled with the Spirit. It is not a one-time event—it is a lifelong process. This "aspect" is lost in the English translation.

And also those darn dangling participles :eek:

Those have always been for me the toughest parts of the Greek language. Getting those things properly translated can be a real pain.

One thing I do love about the Greek language though is how precise of a language it is. I love the precision of it.

I wish that I could see the beauty of that precision too! Since most of us cannot read Greek, please continue sharing with us gentlemen! The Bible is so beautiful but I feel like a color blind person staring at a painting by Monet; I can see the picture, and appreciate it but I am missing a portion of the beauty. I know that the message is the same, but there is the a more complete picture when you can see the precision through language and the small nuances that you only catch if you are familiar with Jewish history and culture. Again, please continue sharing those details that we miss! Don't keep your knowledge to yourselves! Dr. Allen, John and Doc... Thank you for sharing with us! You are adding color, so to speak, to my studies!

Art and the art field can be a dangerous profession though. Van Gogh also believed in good color, the beauty of a painting, and precision in his presentations.

We'll all be fine though so long as our work of art does not lead us to do what Van Gogh did and cut an ear off and mail it to a beloved lady as he did in the name of art :shock: :shock: :eek: :( :roll:

Ok seriously, I'm sure we'll always have the room and need to share some of the finer points from the languages.

Dr Allen, for those of us colorblind who wish to begin the learning process in Greek, do you recommend a primer?
Maddog

Actually I do and would suggest one book that I still think is an excellent tool.

It is Dr. Dobson's work. He is a Hebrew and Greek professor. Is ia Basics of Biblical Hebrew and Basics of Biblical Greek.

You will start working with the languages from the first chapter.

Dr. Allen

Thankyou Dr Allen, I searched for Dr James Dobson's book on Greek and found nothing. I did a amazon book search and found Dr John H Dobson, Lots of good used books for sale for 12 bucks. I will order when the pennies are there. Looked into the front cover and you are right, it gets you right into translating words we already use such as apostolo(apostle) and cristo(Christ). Are all greek NT texts the same these days or do we have to differentiate between the TR or the Catholic texts? Are those widely available as well or more difficult to obtain? I used to have one but that was 30 years ago in another life as a college student.
Thanks again,
Maddog

Dr John H Dobson

Yep that is the one.

There are Greek texts that differ one from another.

I prefer the Nestle-Aland 4th edition.

However, the differences among the various Greek texts do not make a difference in regard to any single doctrine of Scripture. The differences within the various manuscripts we have are normally with regard to spellings, or minor variant readings. Of those variations we lose not even a single doctrine within the Bible.

So I try and not get hung up in the "best" family of manuscript debate, especially when you are just trying to learn Greek in basic and intermediate levels. And even in the early advanced levels it is still not really that essential. It is only when one reaches the higher advanced levels where one is doing textual criticism that this issue becomes applicable and important.

Outside of that sphere I would not place my time and effort into that part of the Greek studies.

bad idea of people trying to learn Hebrew or Greek in order to discover some hidden meaning

the Greek unlocks a deeper and more accurate meaning disguised by English translations.

You're right that they won't dig out a hidden meaning, but I've got to disagree with the way the article you quoted said it. Original language will always necessarily be more accurate than any translation that is not astoundingly wordy. Concepts just don't flow from one language to another and translation is always re-writing something and to some extent its a new, original, work. And while the Reformers paved the way for our translations, they also worked tried to make it so we wouldn't be having this discussion.

“Grace and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ … Although I am now excommunicated for three years, and should keep silent if I feared men more than God, ... I will speak as long as I live, until the righteousness of Christ shall break forth in its glory … I beg you all, my dear lords and friends, for God’s sake to take care of the poor youth, and thereby to help us all. So much money is spent year after year for arms, roads, dams, and innumerable similar objects, why should not as much be spent for the education of the poor youth? ... The word of God is now heard in Germany more than ever before. But if we do not show our gratitude for it, we run the risk of sinking back into a worse darkness.
“Dear Germans, buy while the market is at the door. Gather while the sun shines and the weather is good. Use God’s grace and word while it is at hand. For you must know that God’s grace and word is a travelling shower, which does not return where once it has been. It was once with the Jews, but gone is gone (hin ist hin); now they have nothing. Paul brought it into Greece, but gone is gone; now they have the Turk. Rome and Italy have also had it, but gone is gone; they have now the Pope. And ye Germans must not think that you will have it forever; for ingratitude and contempt will not let it abide. Therefore, seize and hold fast, whoever can.
It is a sin and shame that we should need to be admonished to educate our children, when nature itself, and even the example of the heathen, urge us to do so.… You say, the parents should look to that, it is none of the business of counselors and magistrates. But how, if the parents neglect it? Most of the parents are incapable; having themselves learnt nothing, they cannot teach their children. Others have not the time. And what shall become of the orphans? The glory of a town consists not in treasure, strong walls, and fine houses, but in fine, educated, well-trained citizens. The city of old Rome trained her sons in Latin and Greek and all the fine arts ....
“We admit, you say, there should and must be schools, but what is the use of teaching Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and other liberal arts? Could we not teach, in German, the Bible and God’s word, which are sufficient for salvation? Answer: Yes, I well know, alas! that we Germans must ever be and abide brutes and wild beasts, as the surrounding nations call us, and as we well deserve to be called. But I wonder why you never say, Of what use are silks, wines, spices, and other foreign articles, seeing we have wine, corn, wool, flax, wood, and stones, in German lands, not only an abundance for sustenance, but also a choice and selection for elegance and ornament? The arts and languages, which do us no harm, nay, which are a greater ornament, benefit, honor, and advantage, both for understanding Holy Writ, and for managing civil affairs, we are disposed to despise; and foreign wares, which are neither necessary nor useful to us, and which, moreover, peel us to the very bone, these we are not willing to forego. Are we not deserving to be called German fools and beasts? ...
“Much as we love the gospel, let us hold fast to the languages. God gave us the Scriptures in two languages, the Old Testament in Hebrew, the New Testament in Greek. Therefore we should honor them above all other languages.… And let us remember that we shall not be able to keep the gospel without the languages. The languages are the sheath in which this sword of the Spirit is hid. They are the casket in which this treasure is kept. They are the vessels in which this drink is contained; they are the storehouse in which this food is laid by; and, as the gospel itself shows, they are the baskets in which these loaves and fishes and fragments are preserved. Yea, if we should so err as to let the languages go (which God forbid!), we shall not only lose the gospel, but it will come to pass at length that we shall not be able to speak or write correctly either Latin or German....

Herewith I commend you all to the grace of God. May He soften and kindle your hearts so that they shall earnestly take the part of these poor, pitiable, forsaken youth, and, through Divine aid, counsel and help them to a happy and Christian ordering of the German land as to body and soul with all fullness and overflow, to the praise and honor of God the Father, through Jesus Christ, our Saviour. Amen.”

There was a push even then to put these languages into action from the elementary school level, and its a push we should want for our own children. If we want to see the day when people will teach no more their neighbors because they all know God from the least to the greatest we have an obligation (as we are able) to educate our children and ourselves to be self-capable and not to any more rely on scholars and tools. I say this not as someone who knows Greek or Hebrew, but as someone who knows translation in general and the particular difficulties thereof. We should strive to make our scholarship better, and part of that is making students literate from a young age, as it sits it's commonplace for Bible School or Seminary graduates to be wholly illiterate, and that wouldn't be tolerated even in the dark ages.

This is actually something I want to bring up at my children's school at the annual meeting, if I got it in the works now it may be set up in time for them to learn.

Back