• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A joke for you all (Funny, but not HaHa funny)

diasōzō

I was reading some articles on Helium.com and came across this joke:

A man one day asked a preacher if the Bible said that it was okay for a man to have more than one wife. The preacher needed time to study the question and asked the man to come back next week and he would have an answer for him. When the week had ended, the man went back to the preacher for an answer and found him looking tired and disheveled. He asked the preacher for the answer and he responded wearily, "I searched the entire Bible as best as I could. I can say for sure that a man should NOT have more than one wife." The man responded, "Do you have scripture to prove it?" The preacher replied, "Matthew 6:24, No man can serve two masters."

Ok so some of you may laugh, others won't, but my point of posting this is; small things like a funny joke made out of one twisted passage is how we as a society are deceived.
I guarantee 99.9% of my church would laugh at this, and think "yep its true". Without even realizing the context of that passage, or how their mind is storing it now.

Here was the original article:
http://www.helium.com/items/703166-chri ... f-polygamy

If your a little dull, or slow and need it explained just PM me :D

diasōzō said:
If your a little dull, or slow and need it explained just PM me :D

Yah, suh. I be a wee bit slow on the up-take from time to time.

Shouldn't that be "two mistresses"? Or is that possible to do if they're female?

Sir BumbleBerry the Dim

While I've read most of the other articles in the polygyny-related areas on Helium, I hadn't seen that one.

(I have heard the old joke. Sadly, it's at least as much a commentary on what passes for "headship" in post-Biblical Amerika as it is a joke about polygamy. As Heinlein said, "Man laughs because it hurts." And this one should.)

What I did note about that one is the common attitude that shows up early on:

I will not go so far as to call polygamy a sin, but it is definitely not what God intended or He would have given Adam as many wives as a man can handle to make sure he was as happy as possible.

Why not "call polygamy a sin"? After all, he obviously knows "what God intended"!

People who know the Mind of God better than the Author of the Word Himself should not (and generally don't!) hesitate to enlighten us all with their Superior Understanding.

Is it even funnier now to realize that this man isn't even the patriarchal head of his own house?

CecilW said:
Shouldn't that be "two mistresses"? Or is that possible to do if they're female?
Sir BumbleBerry the Dim
Sir BumbleBerry, It sounds like you have had one to many polygamy arguments (if your being sarcastic, just disregard this).

What I found funny was what Mark said:
Is it even funnier now to realize that this man isn't even the patriarchal head of his own house?
From my prospective, that's what this joke is "teaching". That the norm, whether you have one Wife for many, is they are the head of the house.
Sooooo... obvisouly... why would you want more than one? :lol:

Actually, what makes this joke funnier, is that it is as old as Mark Twain, who is the source of the original quote.

Blessings,

diasōzō said:
Sir BumbleBerry, It sounds like you have had one to many polygamy arguments (if your being sarcastic, just disregard this).

Sir BumbleBerry von Laphalot, my wildly altered ego, insists on finding the humor in things, under the belief that if we neglect to laugh at ourselves and our own seriousness we're likely to solidify into pompous ponderousities or, perhaps, ponderosas. Petrified, in either case.

He cites, as evidence that a heightened sense of the absurd is in fact a divine attribute, that God created giraffes, porcupines, duck-billed platypusses, and, um, me. ;)

He pops up from time to time, mostly at inopportune moments. :lol:

Anyone up for a little polygyny humor?
How about a meal with a polygynyst in mind?
"Double Breasted" Chicken on a "Bed" of No Yolks "Extra Broad" Noodles
(not to be confused with "Extra Wide" Noodles, unless that is your preference!)
Salad with "Choice" of Dressing such as "Extra Virgin" Olive Oil
With peas all in the same "Pod"
Selection of "Different Flavored Milks" or "7up" at the same time
And for dessert, a "Plural" Layer Cake
And after dinner some Doublemint Gum to "Double Your Pleasure"
Be sure to order a "Multi" Family Pack with Extra Helpings!
Enjoy!

Back