• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Modern Day Famous Reformed Theologian Allows for Polygyny

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
I recently found the below quote in the massive work by a Reformed modern day scholar. In Dr. John Frame's work, The Doctrine of the Christian Life: A Theology of Lordship, he says:

"I believe that churches should admit to membership and to the sacraments people who, though polygamous, otherwise give a credible profession of faith in Christ" (p. 755).

He would also be in line with Dr. Jay Adams, the famous Biblical counselor who founded Nouthetic counseling. Too Dr. John Calvin held this view as well.

Though he does not see the life as the ideal it is another step in the right direction and thus far another credible modern day theologian with good repute who breaks down the "forbidden" stance against all who embrace polygyny (he incorrectly terms it polygamy). He at least believes they are to be received into fellowship and thus this ought to be something used by those facing pressure from the "establishment."

Dr. Frame holds a BD from Westminster Theological Seminary, A Master's of Philosophy from Yale University, and a DD from Belhaven College. He teaches at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando. He is one of the most well-known scholars and is highly respected by Evangelicals in all persuasions of thought.

Re: A Modern Day Famous Reformed Theologian Allows for Polyg

Thanks so much for sending! So there is hope, after all, thank the Lord!

Katie

While from time to time we may face defeat, overall we are making considerable progress. We will overcome because we persevere. Every day there are more and more Christians realizing the biblical nature of polygyny, and outsiders that are willing to tolerate it.

"Though he does not see the life as the ideal" this is the part that I like the most...just because someone is ignorant and does not agree with the legitimate practice of Biblical Marriage does not give them the right to impinge on my liberty and make it illegal for me to participate in it. Here's the deal...if you don't want to be in a polygamous relationship YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

My college roommate teaches (or did last time I checked) at RTS in Orlando. Richard Pratt.

Well Hugh for an obscure link I met Richard in Australia around 1993!

ylop

Back