• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A novel about the Exodus

Ryenwine

Last night, I was visiting my brother, and was on his computer. Out of interest (and idleness) I browsed on Amazon to see what they had of my favorite authors. Wilbur Smith, Leo Perutz, Rider Haggard... I came across a title by Henry Rider Haggard, which may interest you guys: Moon of Israel, A Tale of the Exodus I have read many of Rider Haggard's books, but don't recall this one. It's going on my "Must Read" list. Here's a product description from one of the editions. "Ana" mentioned here, is a scribe:
An outstanding book, it chronicles the story of the Exodus. Haggard introduces the biblical tale through the character of Ana, an unlikely narrator. First published as a book in 1918, it is remarkable for its religious and historical content. Truly hypnotic!
It is also available on Kindle, if you use that.
---Ryenwine

Here's another Product Description, which gives a little more information:

"Moon of Israel" (1918) was one of the earliest Haggard books to be filmed (in 1924, as a silent movie directed by Michael Curtiz). The movie adaptation has been released both as "Moon of Israel" and "The Slave Queen". Interestingly, Paramount bought the original film and suppressed it so it wouldn't complete with the release of DeMille's original silent version of "The Ten Commandments". As a book, it is an exceptional retelling of the Biblical story of the Exodus. I'm certain most modern readers will be familiar with the original story. By selecting an unlikely viewpoint character, the scribe Ana Haggard provides a down-to-earth narrator for a story of fantastic proportion. The novel was first serialized in the "Cornhill" magazine from January through October in 1918 and released in book form in October 1918. Author and critic Jessica Amanda Salmonson has called "Moon of Israel" as a beautifully written Jewish legend, and adds, Haggard was pro-Zionist advocating a Jewish homeland in Palestine as early as 1915.

Back