• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A psychological question for wives

PolyPride

Any woman can answer but of course polygamous wives could relate to this the best...

Questions:

How would you or do you feel and think when you see your husband having intimate time with another wife?

This may be a dumb question, but do you get jealous?

For those who may not get jealous, does it simply not bother you at all - maybe you've fully accepted that it's just part of the lifestyle or you don't mind sharing at all, etc.?
--------------------------
I'm just curious because I'm trying to gain an honest psychologically based understanding from poly wives on this matter.

I'm very new to plural relationships as my hubby is courting my best friend of 25 years. I feel no jealousy I guess because I've loved her for years as my sister anyway. We are preparing for her to move in here with us.

Our situation is kind of unique as she actually lived with us as a roommate a couple of years ago and Hubby and I have prayed about the feelings we both had about having her as a fulltime member of our family.

So no jealousy at this point, I just pray that it stays that way. I know God will prepare my heart for seeing my beloved husband becoming hers as well.

Yeah, I get pretty jealous. I am not much of a sharer by nature, so this is difficult for me to come to terms with. I also try not to show affection in front of her, so as not to make her feel uncomfortable as well.

Nikismom said:
I'm very new to plural relationships as my hubby is courting my best friend of 25 years. I feel no jealousy I guess because I've loved her for years as my sister anyway. We are preparing for her to move in here with us.

Our situation is kind of unique as she actually lived with us as a roommate a couple of years ago and Hubby and I have prayed about the feelings we both had about having her as a fulltime member of our family.

So no jealousy at this point, I just pray that it stays that way. I know God will prepare my heart for seeing my beloved husband becoming hers as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like since you trust her and have a sister-like love for her (although she is your sister in Christ) and if that continues then I don't think there's anything that you guys can't work out.

redfox said:
Yeah, I get pretty jealous. I am not much of a sharer by nature, so this is difficult for me to come to terms with. I also try not to show affection in front of her, so as not to make her feel uncomfortable as well.

Redfox,

Thanks for sharing your experience as well. I have read about a wide range of experiences of poly wive ranging from those who rarely experience jealousy to those who only experience it occasionally but still to where it's not a big problem and to those wives where jealousy occurs frequently. You may not be a good sharer when it comes to sharing your man but for some people it's a matter of who they're sharing their husband with and whether or not both wives can work with each other. If you two were good friends before, then that would help, or if you two have personalities that go well together, etc. I think though even if those factors didn't apply to your situation then it's still possible for everyone to make changes and help out together to improve the relationship, but it's just harder without those factors.

She and I weren't friends before hand, and I barely knew her at all. There was a lot of animosity in the beginning of hers and my relationship, and a lot of that has not been fully dealt with. The one time I tried dealing with some of it, it didn't go well. Our personalities aren't exactly the most compatible either, which also makes things difficult.

It's a process. It's better than it was, but could still be better than it is.

She and I weren't friends before hand

This seems to be pretty key. My wife has had no jealousy in or animosity with the girls we've dated, but she has either had a preexisting friendship with them or established a friendship with them as soon as we got to know them.

Obviously there has been no sex, but in all cases I know of jealousy over sex comes when the wives have personality conflicts or do not\did not have a close relationship before the marriage.

How do I feel/think when hubby is having intimate time with SW? Well, I am a first wife and have had my hubby to myself for 9 years and never imagined having to share him so up this point, I don't feel good during those times. I have found I handle it better depending on the circumstances. If they are together at a time when I am busy with the children or am out of the house or they are away, I handle that much better. Nights where I am sleeping by myself are usually the worst; I just have yet to sleep well on those nights and wake up several times. I try to keep it in perspective and say "what's the big deal?" and try to make certain comparisons in my brain like do I mind when SW makes my baby laugh so why should I mind this? But other times, it seems like the biggest thing in the world to have to deal with and there is no reasoning it out to make me feel better about it.

If I am honest, a lot of times I am thinking how I can't really understand why any woman would want to be a second wife and come into such a situation. I just can't wrap my brain around joining a family and being intimate with another woman's husband. I realize it's not that cut and dry...there is the love aspect, women who need cared for, not to mention the husband's choice as head of the family, etc.

Do I get jealous? Of course although I don't consider myself a terribly jealous person. I try to use that time to focus on the LORD, but hey, I'm but flesh! :lol: I'd love to hear from any women who don't struggle with these things. I would love for this stuff to not get to me.

I'd ask for those who may have lived it longer: was it just hard in the beginning, but got easier with time?

seekHim1 said:
How do I feel/think when hubby is having intimate time with SW? Well, I am a first wife and have had my hubby to myself for 9 years and never imagined having to share him so up this point, I don't feel good during those times. I have found I handle it better depending on the circumstances. If they are together at a time when I am busy with the children or am out of the house or they are away, I handle that much better. Nights where I am sleeping by myself are usually the worst; I just have yet to sleep well on those nights and wake up several times. I try to keep it in perspective and say "what's the big deal?" and try to make certain comparisons in my brain like do I mind when SW makes my baby laugh so why should I mind this? But other times, it seems like the biggest thing in the world to have to deal with and there is no reasoning it out to make me feel better about it.

If I am honest, a lot of times I am thinking how I can't really understand why any woman would want to be a second wife and come into such a situation. I just can't wrap my brain around joining a family and being intimate with another woman's husband. I realize it's not that cut and dry...there is the love aspect, women who need cared for, not to mention the husband's choice as head of the family, etc.

Do I get jealous? Of course although I don't consider myself a terribly jealous person. I try to use that time to focus on the LORD, but hey, I'm but flesh! :lol: I'd love to hear from any women who don't struggle with these things. I would love for this stuff to not get to me.

I'd ask for those who may have lived it longer: was it just hard in the beginning, but got easier with time?

I can't offer a wife's perspective since I'm a guy and not in polygamy, but I have read a little on the issue of jealousy from some psychologists. I think that it can get easier with time but not with time alone but also by taking practical steps to resolve that jealousy during that time. From what I've read so far, jealousy is a product of both genetics and culture (or standards, norms, beliefs, etc.). It can be worked on on by changing your thoughts/standards getting rid of some of the insecurities, but the thing is I don't know any psychologists who would extend their therapy to those who are in polygamy because there's not wide acceptance that polygamy is an okay lifestyle and most importantly that jealousy should be worked on in that setting just as it would be in monogamous relationships. It's not looked at that way as much also because the mainstream of our culture has set a monogamy ONLY standard pretty much saying that anything other than monogamy is wrong. Jealousy is not a moral issue in my view, but rather a matter of psychological health. With that said, I'd go as far as saying that how we should determine healthy and unhealthy jealousy should be based on the type of relationship you're in. If you choose to live in the polygamous lifestyle (for a wife, husband sharing), and you're getting jealous then you should work on resolving it just as you would in a monogamous relationship, unless your husband is really do something wrong - which in polygamy is not being with another woman who is also his wife but it would be if he's leading up to or having an affair with another woman who he's not married to and who you as the wife haven't known about or agreed on.

Now to support that jealousy is not 100% a genetic thing, but can be triggered based on personal standards/beliefs that one adopts from culture/society, one obvious fact is that not everyone gets jealous for all the same reasons. What may make one person jealous in a given situation (like if someone's girlfriend or boyfriend is looking at another attractive person, etc.) does not mean that everyone else would get jealous in that situation. Then we have to factor in different levels of jealousy like how frequently it occurs (rarely, occasionally, often) and at what intensity (is so much that it's causing the person to damage their relationship or is it something they can resolve themselves, etc.).
To add to this I'll include some of my comments that I posted on another forum:
Psychologist Ayala Malach Pines documents this in her book that’s called Romantic Jealousy: Causes, Symptoms, and Cures. She mentions for instance, some of the Eskimos during a ceremony or custom referred to as “putting out the lamp”would invite a guest to have sexual intercourse with his wife. Yet, that same husband would get extremely jealous if his wife had sexual intercourse with someone when it did not involve the lamp ceremony (Pg. 115 of the book, 1st paragraph). Another example that psychologists Ayala Pines refers to in her book is a study comparing 100 swingers with 100 non-swingers. The study found that oftentimes swingers did not view extramarital sex as being unfaithful, and as such, some of those swingers seldom experienced jealousy because they did not perceive their partners extramarital sexual behavior as a threat just as long as both partners knew about it (This is on pg. 144 of Ayala’s book). The two cases that I mentioned involve experiences that would drive an average person up the wall if their standard for relationships was monogamy only; whereas, some others who live in alternative lifestyles and some cultures where extramarital sex is not viewed the same way as in our “mainstream” culture don’t experience jealousy for the same reasons or at least at levels that would cause problems in the relationship.

So from this information, experience (of mine and others), and evidence, I'd have to say that jealousy in polygamy should be looked at as something that should and can be resolved (similar to what swingers that I mentioned have done although I’m not saying that polygamy goes as far as the swinger lifestyle). I'm not saying that anyone, whether in monogamy or polygamy, can perfectly do away with any and all jealousy and all the time, but it should be resolved to where it's not motivating you to cause problems in the relationship or to where it's not causing you personal hurt if you linger on it all the time (I'd say to consider resolving your jealousy if it occurs frequently but maybe you don't have much to worry about if it happens rarely or only occasionally). I think if more in society, especially psychologists accepted polygamy then more of them would even be willing to develop therapy to help wives in polygamy overcome their jealousy just as they would help a person in a monogamous relationship resolve their jealousy. I think the first step is acknowledging that polygamy is not for everyone (women or men), and for those who want to start a poly relationship then they have to accept it as a standard which may sometimes take changing your thinking from our culture's indoctrination of the MONOGAMY ONLY standard. I've been reading some books about scientists who have studied polygamy around the world to see how it works, but I've read little about those same scientists actually taking the time to develop and find good ways to actually improve the relationship.

I have been to psychologists in the past. My mother did the Psychiatry route. She got lots of good drugs with which she tried to kill herself. I got a lot of time talking to someone who didn't see things from Gods side.

I don't have a lot of faith in Psychology in general. I believe that every answer we need comes from God's word. If we are continually seeking God's will and God's way, then we are much healthier than if we are searching for psychology to repair the damage done by us to ourselves and by the world to us. The healer is God. He is the only way we will ever be whole or healthy.

Sometimes we need someone to help us focus on what we should be focusing on. But that person doesn't need to have certificates or diplomas. The best people to help us refocus on what is right are our families, good friends and any one who loves God and knows us well enough to speak the truth in love.

Yes, we are all flesh. And if I am truthful, I get jealous often. Right now, I am the only wife in our home. Sometime soon that will change. I worry that my relationship with hubby won't be as fun and that we won't have as much time to just relate to each other. I know that things will change and that scares me. But....

Change is not always bad. Some of us thrive on it.

God accepts us where we are but asks us to change ourselves to become more like his son.

If I am concentrating on what is right, then instead of worrying about these factors, I need to be thinking about what will make my family work and how to make everyone comfortable in the new family structure.

Honesty is the best policy. When I feel jealousy, I try to name it and confront it head on. Sometimes it sneaks up on me, but then I have other family members to help me recognize it.
It is never going to be perfect because we are human, but we try every day to please God and we find that we are on the right track.

Thanks for your honesty seekhim1.

Pretty Tulips said:
seekHim1 said:
If I am honest, a lot of times I am thinking how I can't really understand why any woman would want to be a second wife and come into such a situation. I just can't wrap my brain around joining a family and being intimate with another woman's husband.

Personally, it's something I struggle with. I want so much to be part of a family and know that I have a lot to offer the right family, however, as I get attached to the wife, I can't help but think that I'm betraying this woman, with whom I'm hoping to share my life with. I very often have reel myself in and give it to the Lord, otherwise, I would have to walk away from this lifestyle. If I let my thoughts run away with me, I will have myself conviced that I am having an 'affair' not building a foundation for a life long commitment.
My priority as a sisterwife is to add to the quality of life of the family I join, not tear it down. If the wives and I let jealousy in, then we're setting our marriage up for failure. Yes, the women coming into the family also get jealous and it's a guilt ridden type of jealousy. Sort of.. "how dare I be jealous of her being intimate with HER husband???" Not a fun position to be in at times.. I assure you.

I only have a minute, but I do know it is hard for SW coming into this and I know she majorly wrestles with the guilt you speak of and she does not feel entitled to be jealous of my time with hubby - although I understand she still has to wrestle with the same things I do since neither of us really wants to share.

And I have had to leave room that the whole situation is beyond any of us anyway so like you, perhaps you are just meant to be a part of a family but shouldn't let it all weigh on your shoulders as far as feeling like you are betraying the woman. We all have to trust that God will use it all for everyone's good and that He has a purpose in it...the biggest being conforming us each into the image of Christ which up to this point in my life, I have never experienced anything so challenging that shows me how Christ-like I am NOT.

oohh a toughy!

I got jealous while my hubby was dating. I think what happened was that I thought he spent "fun" time with her (date nights, going out) that sort of thing. When he and I were together, we got to pay bills, go to class, clean house ect. We had a new baby, who while being the light of our lives, was also colicky. So my jealousy came out because I was feeling deprived.

I would like to say that I got over it. I didnt, but I did get better. There were two things that helped. First, I had to ask myself, was I jealous because of her advantages or my disadvantages. When I realized my jealousy stemmed from inside me, it was a humbling experience. I realize now, if its in a person's heart to be jealous, then it doesnt matter if they are in a monogamous, polygamous, or no relationship.Plus, I started to understand that a huge part of my unhappiness was due to postpartum depression. I realize now that I have to create my happiness by being grateful for what I do have, such as a loving husband who is willing to work hard, is a great father, and who will stay up to help me do dishes, not because he likes housework, but because "that way we get to spend time together" - his words!

Secondly, I asked myself if my hubby was happy when he was with her. He was. So I asked if it was more important to me that he be happy or that I be the one making him happy. I love him dearly, and I want him to be happy. (this is not to say that he was unhappy with me of course!) I made him as happy as I could alone, and then learned to be grateful that there was someone else to make him smile also. (this was actually the BIGGEST help to dealing with my jealousy)

Currently, we are monogamous (long story) - so imagine my surprise when I felt those pangs of jealousy again over Christmas. It was a chance for me to really sit and pray about my own heart. Again I came to the conclusion that it wasn't hubby's actions that made me jealous. I let myself become jealous by being ungrateful of the blessings I do have!

Thanks to those who have also shared your struggles. It has been a blessing to read these posts!

Back