• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A question about the requirements of Godly husbands

But with the husband as the head, a decision can be reached. He may decide that his preference is best, and do that, or he may decide to do his wife's preference out of love for her. But either way, a decision is made. And his wife chooses to submit to that decision, whether she likes it or not - her input has been considered, and the time for argument is over. They can now move forward as a team. She can support him with paying for the new car, or she can politely keep her mouth shut when the cheap car breaks down and simply help him get it fixed. But either way, they're a team.

That's the primary purpose of patriarchy, in my view. Achieving unity and peace.

Thank you @FollowingHim
In the end, it's about hierarchy, structure, roles...order.

The biblical, patriarchal model is about being the head, not a two-headed monster. Its like the Truman quote: "The buck stops here."

It's not about being a soft, cuddly teddy bear that always acquiesces. Sometimes no is the best word in the English language. If it's used in love, it can be powerful.

There's more, but I'll let the wisdom of others come forth.

But with the husband as the head, a decision can be reached. He may decide that his preference is best, and do that, or he may decide to do his wife's preference out of love for her. But either way, a decision is made. And his wife chooses to submit to that decision, whether she likes it or not - her input has been considered, and the time for argument is over. They can now move forward as a team. She can support him with paying for the new car, or she can politely keep her mouth shut when the cheap car breaks down and simply help him get it fixed. But either way, they're a team.

And when the wife wholeheartedly embraces this hierarchy it brings an incredible amount of unity, peace, and affection.

In other marriages there is that constant struggle, which brings strife and disunity.

And in others the man acquiesces and she becomes the boss, more of a mother figure than a wife. Which is not psychologically healthy for either man or woman and leads to loss of affection in the marriage. The men becoming mentally/emotionally stunted, unable to make any decision without her permission, even many which she need not be a part of.

Clyde Pilkington, Jr., (known here as @Clyde and who spoke at the most recent formal Biblical Families Gathering) has a great book that addresses this, @Poly Deo Gloria. It's called Wife Loving and is somewhat of a sequel to his books Due Benevolence and Heaven's Embassy. You can find them at studyshelf.com.

And in others the man acquiesces and she becomes the boss, more of a mother figure than a wife. Which is not psychologically healthy for either man or woman and leads to loss of affection in the marriage. The men becoming mentally/emotionally stunted, unable to make any decision without her permission, even many which she need not be a part of.
This is the premise of most television and cinema comedies. I'm not sure what came first but it seems to mirror much of society.

If this revelation has been anything to me, it has been a wake-up call to the reality of just how high the calling a husband, regardless of how many wives he has, is. It has served to reinforce the areas that I've been growing, and also challenge me in new areas, and it has strengthened and encouraged my wife and I in a lot of ways.

Bingo!

This is the premise of most television and cinema comedies. I'm not sure what came first but it seems to mirror much of society.

I think it is a temptation of all men but one which has been encouraged, pushed, propogandized and engineered into society. At several levels.

Back