• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Aging Gracefully

porkchop

My husband and I have been talking about this for several years and we don’t really have any good answers so wanted to have some input from everyone here. This is our deal:

My in-laws are both in their mid 80’s and both have cancer among other ailments. My Father-in-Law has fallen numerous times and broken hips a total of 3 times with one fall resulting in hip replacement surgery. He’s cracked ribs, ran his lawn mower off into a creek and was pinned under it with no one home to help him and wrecked his van so many times we gave up counting.

My Mother-in-Law weighs about 90 pounds, falls all the time, has fallen down the stairs and cracked ribs, blackened eyes, and is quite feeble physically.

Between the two of them they’ve burned down one house (left a pile of leaves burning and forgot about it), almost caught their own house on fire because a hat was put in the oven to dry and forgotten, stove eyes get left on constantly, water gets left running constantly; and these are just the high-lights (trust me). They get stopped by the cops constantly because their driving is so bad they get mistaken for drunk drivers.

So, my question is: What does it mean to Christian’s to age gracefully? How do we honor parents who refuse to be responsible and make an effort to help in their own care?

Neither of my Grandmothers would move in with anyone. One broke her ankle twice before my mom finally stepped in and forced her to move into a retirement facility. She hated every day of it but she couldn’t live out in a rural area 45 minutes from all of us. The other Grandmother did a similar thing. All of us 4 kids offered to move each of them in with us but neither would have any part of it.

Same thing now with my in-laws; we are constantly asking them to sell their rural property and move into town so it’s easier for them to get around and for us to help them. Since all of us (2 children and their spouses who live locally) work full time it’s quite difficult to deal with them. My husband calls to check on them every day and sometimes they don’t answer the phone because they’ve dropped it and either don’t want to bend over to pick it up or can’t find it. You don’t know how many times he’s rushed over there at midnight when he gets off from work to check on them because they didn’t answer the phone all evening.

So how would or did you handle this? They refuse to stop driving even though they are very dangerous. They refuse to move to a house that’s one level and centrally located to Dr.’s/ shopping/etc. In short, they refuse to be responsible for their own life in old age because they’d prefer to pretend that they’ll live forever. It’s so frustrating for my husband and his brothers and sisters to deal with.

First, I am thankful for your love and concern for your family members. This speaks volumes about your your character. I know this has to be tough to say the least. But you shall be richly rewarded for your efforts to care for them in the kingdom to come.

Second, sometimes older family members have to be pressed to another way of life for their own good and the good of others. When they get to the point that they are consistently placing others in danger then they need outside help and aid.

Third, if they do indeed get so bad that they have to have more care then you can use a local judge in your area to provide legal recourse where they would be given over to your authority. If would need to be proven though that they indeed need that level of care.

First, I am thankful for your love and concern for your family members. This speaks volumes about your your character. I know this has to be tough to say the least. But you shall be richly rewarded for your efforts to care for them in the kingdom to come.

Second, sometimes older family members have to be pressed to another way of life for their own good and the good of others. When they get to the point that they are consistently placing others in danger then they need outside help and aid.

Third, if they do indeed get so bad that they have to have more care then you can use a local judge in your area to provide legal recourse where they would be given over to your authority. If would need to be proven though that they indeed need that level of care.

donnag said:
So, my question is: What does it mean to Christian’s to age gracefully? How do we honor parents who refuse to be responsible and make an effort to help in their own care?

This is a very difficult situation and there are no easy answers. Older folks can be so afraid of losing their independence that they go into a state of denial.

My mother had this problem with her parents when they were in their 80's. My grandparents were very stubborn and my mother didn't really force them to do anything until one day in 1992. My grandparents lived in San Diego and we lived in Los Angeles (about 3 1/2 hours apart). My GP's got into their car to go to the grocery store (about 10 mins. away from them). My grandfather couldn't remember where the store was so he just kept driving. They wound up in Beverly Hills, Ca. (close to us) about 250 miles north of their home. My grandfather's answer to this was to check into a hotel for the night. The next day they got back into their car and wound up running out of gas on a freeway exit ramp. The Highway Patrol was called and they took my GP's into protective custody....that's when my mom got called and we had to go get the GP's. At that point my mom had no choice but to make an "Executive Decision" and make arrangements to have her parents move into an assisted living residence. The GP's were not happy about this but since my mom had taken their car away (for their own safety), they didn't have a choice. They came to really like the home they were in and made a lot of friends there.

You could also look into having someone move in with them and many communities have organizations that will provide transportation services for elderly people who can no longer drive. Just a few ideas....

Blessings,
Fairlight

This has been an ongoing dilemma for a few years. Some of my husbands’ siblings (who live in Michigan and don’t understand the day-to-day drama, and think its funny), are against making them do anything they don’t want to do. Once my husband disconnected the battery cable to keep his dad from starting the car because it was icy, so his dad called a neighbor who re-connected it; he decided to go to town and my husband had to call a wrecker to get the car out of a ditch (this has happened several times, just slightly different circumstances).

We have suggested that they hire someone to live with them and they refuse to pay for that. My sister-in-law has them stay with her when the weather is bad, but they don’t like that. As far as driving goes, our concern is that they are going to cause a horrible wreck that will injure or worse and innocent family one day.

To complicate this they are local business owners so their doctors and most of the police are also their customers so are very hesitant to do anything like suspending their driver’s licenses or anything like that.

I wish that drivers over 70 had to test (and I mean really test) yearly to prove that they can still handle a vehicle (no throwing stones at me please). They are so dangerous it really stresses us out just to think about what will eventually happen.

donnag said:
I wish that drivers over 70 had to test (and I mean really test) yearly to prove that they can still handle a vehicle (no throwing stones at me please). They are so dangerous it really stresses us out just to think about what will eventually happen.

Oh my gosh ! I so agree with you ! I have often been amazed that the DMV doesn't do more to test elderly drivers. A lady I knew was in her 90's and the DMV automatically renewed her driver's license for 10 years. Even she thought that was awful !

You may have to follow Keith's suggestion and go before a judge if you can't get any cooperation from other family members.

Blessings,
Fairlight

And perhaps something must be said that sounds sorta like ...

Mom? Dad? The choice is between being cared for or being responsible for yourself.

If you want to maintain your independence, that is validly your choice. But you will have to bear the responsibility for that. If someone has to check on you daily, they must be paid. If you run into the ditch, you must call a tow truck. Etc. You are not claiming the right of the old to receive care, under the rules by which such care can be reasonably provided. You are claiming continued independence.

If you change your minds, and do want to claim the care to which you are entitled, then you must also accept reasonable rules out of courtesy to your caregivers, unless you are prepared to pay LOTS of money for folks to do it YOUR way. The reasonable strictures include such things as living where it is easy and economical to take care of you. Realistically, that means in a home of some sort.

What is NOT realistic, economical, nor respectful on your part, nor available from this day forward, is to place unpaid demands on our time to run, constantly, to take care of you while you live remotely and irresponsibly. Yes, we know you took care of us when we were small, regardless of inconvenience. We acknowledge that debt. But we WERE in proximity, in your own home, not miles out of town. And we were not placing the general public at risk via our driving. Even when we got licenses, so long as we were under your care, you had the right to demand and take the keys. Once we left home, you expected us to be responsible for yourselves.

It seems realistic to play by those same rules now. Let us know what you decide. Love ya.

Well, they're at it again. My mother-in-law just got out of the hospital after 9 days because her potassium level was so high she was in danger of a heart attack or her one kidney shutting down.

SOOO, I agreed with my sister-in-law that I'd to the cooking for them because she's too feeble to stand up long enough to cook. OK. No problem. I spend about 10 hours one weekend (precious time for my hub and myself since we only see each other on the weekend) calculating potassium content of all sorts of foods and making menu's. Then several hours making and portioning the food and packing it up. Husband delivered the food to his parents.

Two weeks and 2 good check -ups and we're all thinking this is going to work..but NO...

My father-in-law just asked me to stop cooking for them because they have too much food from everyone bringing stuff to them. I asked him what they had and he said 'oh chicken/dumplings, spaghetti, all kinds of stuff'. ALL NOT ON THE LIST OF STUFF THATS ACCEPTABLE and now mother-in-law is sick again.

So... I'm standing here with my white flag up. You just can't help them because they undermine you at every turn.

I'm calling on you pastors to examine the issue of aging with your churches. Sometimes I feel like the elderly make it impossible for their families to care for them and then curse them for not taking care of them out of the same mouth. It's depressing.

This is a serious issue that I have had to deal with as a pastor. Twice, I have had to intervene and take car keys. One lady threatened to call the police and report me, so I went to the DMV and the police station. Both thanked me for taking that step. The police were familiar with the lady from repeated rescues because she was disoriented. She often called me and cajoled or threatened me as many times as 10-15 times a day for a couple weeks. Her family members were unable to take the hard step because she was "My Mom". I did what I did in these steps because I could see the danger to others and knew how it would destroy the heart of these seniors if they killed or maimed someone else by their inability to drive safely. It is hard, but must be done and endured whether it is suspending driving privileges or moving into a safer home environment under court ordered authority. The greater honor is to care for their welfare rather than their will which is affected by diminishing capacity.

To stretch this topic just a bit further, let me ask, how are we preparing for our own senior years? I am not talking about annuities or investments, but providing for ourselves a mindset that says, I have to make provision to live smarter and safer, even if it means change. I believe we can prepare ourselves that we may be easier to deal with when we are in their place. (hopefully :) ) Next step "Heaven!!!"

John Whitten said:
To stretch this topic just a bit further, let me ask, how are we preparing for our own senior years? I am not talking about annuities or investments, but providing for ourselves a mindset that says, I have to make provision to live smarter and safer, even if it means change. I believe we can prepare ourselves that we may be easier to deal with when we are in their place. (hopefully :) ) Next step "Heaven!!!"

Amen to that. Now if we an convince my hubs 6 brothers and sisters....

donnag said:
Amen to that. Now if we an convince my hubs 6 brothers and sisters....

Well, it is either that or else bow out yourselves. If the siblings wanna keep allowing/enabling the horrors to continue, then THEY, not you, must take responsibility. See how long it takes them to change their minds!

And perhaps a visit of your own to the DMV might be in order.

Back