• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

All Problems Are Interpersonal Relationship Problems

RainyLondonFog

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
Or so Alder says. And I believe him.

Alfred Alder was an Austrian medical doctor, psychotherapist and founder of the school of individual psychology. If I can do this right, hopefully there will be a working link to his Wikipedia page here in case you want to know more about him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Adler

Alder's ideas later inspired Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga to write the books The Courage to Be Disliked and The Courage to Be Happy, where his ideas and theories for how to live a content life are explored.

I wanted to share the idea that all problems are interpersonal relationship problems. There are often times when I feel overwhelmed and upset but then can't really pinpoint what exactly is bothering me. So I use this to break down exactly what I am feeling. If all problems are interpersonal relationship problems and essentially what that means is at the root of the problem someone is feeling is one (or more) of the following (or something similar):

I feel like my place is being taken.
Please help me.
I'm not sure if it is okay for me to be here.
Please help me feel my place is assured.
Don't abandon me.
I feel inferior.

By remembering this (all problems are interpersonal relationship problems) and exploring these root feelings I have been successful at finding and disregarding those feelings. Most of the time. When I look into those feelings, I can go through them and see how they don't have control over me. If I feel like I'm being displaced, I remind myself that we are building horizontal relationships, not vertical relationships. This is another one of Alder's ideas. We need to view those around us as runners on a field, there is literally no one who is above us. We all have room to be where we are, and our job is to encourage those around us to run the race as best as each of us can. Some may be in front or some behind us, but our goal is for all of us to collectively cross the finish line together. We are comrades in this together. Vertical relationships are on a ladder instead of a field. There is only room for one at the top and we are enemies fighting for that one position. So if I feel displaced, I remind myself it is okay for me to be here. And there is no top position. We are all comrades. This idea makes so much sense when considered with poly. Worldly monogamy teaches that marriage is vertical, one wife fighting for the top position for her husband's affection. But if marriage is viewed as a horizontal relationship there is room for multiple wives, all comrades, trying to encourage each other to cross the finish line together. I can't be displaced if I am thinking of all relationships as horizontal relationships.

Sometimes though some of those feelings need to be vocalized and this is helpful to recognize also. Sometimes I need to tell my husband, I am afraid of being abandoned, so I can be reassured. I'm not downplaying that aspect, it is real. Sometimes we can't work it out on our own, sometimes we need to be able to speak to our husband or text our friend that we know will pray for us.

Having the tools and ideas to dissect what I am feeling really has been so helpful that I wanted to share. Instead of being overwhelmed and lashing out or being emotional without knowing why, I can sit back and try to think and figure out what exactly is going on and then take action from a position of knowing where the problem is stemming from. So just wanted to throw that out there as a way that I have been able to get through my emotions, in case it could be helpful for anyone else. :)

@RainyLondonFog this is an awesome post!! I haven't heard of any of these authors (I really should read more) but I totally agree with what you drew out of their books. Understanding where our anxiousness/fears stem from is very important for putting them in a proper perspective. And covering them with the Truth. I love the Horizontal relationship image; plural marriage has to be about the family as a whole and working together to fulfill God's purposes. Thanks you so much for sharing.

One book that was sooo helpful to me years ago and I still recommend to friends is "Search for Significance". There is even a workbook that can be used in small group settings that is very good. Check Amazon...

One book that was sooo helpful to me years ago and I still recommend to friends is "Search for Significance". There is even a workbook that can be used in small group settings that is very good. Check Amazon...
I haven't heard of it, I will look into it. :)

@RainyLondonFog this is an awesome post!! I haven't heard of any of these authors (I really should read more) but I totally agree with what you drew out of their books. Understanding where our anxiousness/fears stem from is very important for putting them in a proper perspective. And covering them with the Truth. I love the Horizontal relationship image; plural marriage has to be about the family as a whole and working together to fulfill God's purposes. Thanks you so much for sharing.

I really do love The Courage to be Disliked and The Courage to be Happy, I recommended them highly for people who desire to live a content life. The way the are written and the ideas brought up can be applied to all aspects of life, and it shows how people also misbehave to try to solve their interpersonal relationship problems. Very insightful books, and they don't focus on any theme like marriage (and poly is not at all brought up), that's just how I've been able to see his ideas and apply them in my own thinking. I love the horizontal relationships, it can be used in so many ways : poly, between children, between co-workers, etc. I really love how universal Alder's ideas are. :)

Back