• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Alright I confess

Paul not the apostle

Real Person
I was drinking whiskey when I signed up for the website. But I was honest about everything that I said and I meant it. Man that felt good. Anyway, I do appreciate the knowledge and openness from you men here. I have learned a lot, mostly about how much I am not being the husband I should. I have been praying and studying the Word, and my wife would probably tell you she has seen the difference in the last two months. We did have another good talk about poly again last night and it was really good. We are going to studying together about the Holy Spirit and gifts next, so i was glad to see the topics recently. I do enjoy this site, and hope to contribute or even make it to the next weekend.

by the way, I did hear a sermon about us all being apostles, so my sarcastic username may have to change.

Well, you have to go where the 'spirits' lead right. Glad you're having a good time and finding interesting stuff.

check out you tube there is some interesting stuff on there.

Be nice! I used to live in Washington. Can't I get some grace for that?

Youtube is full of too much bad stuff, I will leave that door closed. I have learned a bunch from both T and 6's comments. Thanks.

I wasn't intentionally being mean. I take a Vodka and coke for muscle pain a few nights a week myself.

I generally abstain from You-tube myself, but look around for a link that six did, he was hyped up and preaching poly on you-tube. He linked it in one of the conversations, it was both entertaining and educational.

If I can help in any way with comments I'm happy.

So what's everyone's scriptural position as far as alcohol's concerned? Personally from what I've found is that modesty is pushed so as to prevent drunkenness, but I haven't found anything that demands that you drink nor anything that condemns the use of alcohol.

Before I had periodic paralysis I usually only drank anything at occasions, weddings, family holidays where people drink, and usually only one drink. Since I've been sick I've had two to three drinks per week at night (one per night) when muscle pain is bad because it is more effective and more pleasant than pain killers, and it helps with sleep. If I'm around someone who has a problem with drinking (either they are prone to drunkenness or have a moral objection) I don't drink.

When my wife and I where first married we each had a night where one would drink too much and the other would not. This was so we would know precisely when and how we where affected. Other than that neither of us has had too much. Well, one night when I was talking with some people and had bad muscle pain I had enough that my body was affected, but I was able to speak on deep matters articulately and effectively (actually this was the night I was telling my Dad and Step Mom we where polygamists, it went very well). I kept drinking because the conversation was late and staying up late affected my muscles more and more, so it was really walking a fine line.

The way I've lived in this respect should say clearly what I think about it.

I usually will buy a six pack of beer and then drink one and 6 weeks later my wife is asking me to finish off the other five so she can have the space in the fridge back. Once every month or two I will have some whiskey straight up when I am alone. I have had the same two bottles for almost two years, that is how often I use it. When we have good friends over, we will offer wine, water, raw milk, or sweet tea, so having alcohol around is not unusual for us, we just don't partake daily or even weekly, etc. The same thing holds true for me with cigars. I will buy one every three months when my wife goes to Tx. to visit her parents and I never smoke them, I just have a nightstand full of stale unsmokable cigars. Maybe I am still hanging on to some things in my past and I don't realize it.

It is my opinion that:
I do not believe there is anything wrong with alcohol in itself. It is like anything in life, in that the abuse of it will bring destruction. Just like spending too much time on the internet researching plural marriage, I, in my fleshly sinful nature, have an amazing ability to turn just about anything that is not bad by itself into something bad for myself. I think the reason alcohol is seen as so bad is because in so many cases, the abuse of it destroys lives, so some say people want to run from it, and I don't think that is a bad thing. In fact, you could even say that it is biblical and they are "cutting off the hand" so to speak. Their reactions are probably based in some small way in concern, but fear has taken over and made it a witchhunt. One large church here just recently did away with the part of their membership paperwork that said as a member, you will not drink any alcohol of any kind, so maybe times are changing.

I you ever have a problem with a fellow believer admonishing you for consuming alcohol, just do what I do: Tell them you are going to take a second wife, or even a third. Who knows, you may never stop adding. You want to be just like David, Moses and all the other Godly, righteous forefathers and prophets. That will be enough to make them start drinking for themselves. HAH!

I make myself laugh.

John the Baptist did not drink and Christ specifically stated he did himself.

Matthew 11:18-19
18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Goodness, it was wine. I once heard a preacher state something about an aging process that turned grape juice into a paste, kind of like peanut butter. I of course held up my hand and made some smart remark about peanut butter Christians.

The Greek word gleukos - meaning fresh sweet grape juice - is used once - sarcastically - in Acts 2:13
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine. (Something like stating they are crazy or an easy drunk on nothing.)

If you were asking your kid what they wanted with their greek breakfast to drink you would say. What do you want...orange juice or gleukos (grape juice) and decide cause I need to go to work and my chariot is running in the driveway. And remind me to tell your father to not leave his empty "oinos" skins (wine) on the front porch. It looks bad to the neighbors.

Strong's Number G3631 matches the Greek οἶνος (oinos), which occurs 33 times in 25 verses in the NT. This is wine..plain and simple. The greeks from mothers to children knew how to say grape juice (gleukos) just as well as you or we do. No one was talking about grape juice in scripture or they would have said so. The greeks were not linguistic idiots for the pleasure of modern Christians who are high on smoking rolled self-made laws.

To continue briefly...... Do not be given to much wine, or drink in excess or be a drunk. But a little is good for the stomach and don't disqualify you for any church position. If you drink too much of the "gleukos" or grape juice, (mentioned in my previous post) it wouldn't disqualify you from anything other than not having to go to the bathroom with the runs. However I guess that could be a disqualification from being a deacon by not being able to sit through a long deacons meeting. I personally disqualify most everything made by Coors, so I do make up my own rules too.

like anything in life, in that the abuse of it will bring destruction.

Eloquently put Paul. Can't put it better than that I think.

Welltan,

Thank you so much for that word study, that very topic is on my long to research list and you've just saved me a lot of time.

It's nice too because gleukos is like glucose (the sugar in grapes that feeds the fermentation process, or makes grape juice sweet when unfermented) in English, and I'd be willing to bet right here that English glucose is directly derived from the word gleukos. That will be really easy for me to remember next time I need it. I feel I would have deeply enjoyed you're smart remark...

Now that I see it I'm sitting here laughing. The words are exactly the same except for alphabet and enunciation. Of course οἶνος always means wine... Of course gleukos always means juice. Now that you lay it out for me its so obvious, and it'll be easy to argue now that I know exactly what the words are because I can explain the fermentation process. Paste like peanut butter? I'm thinking the wine stompers had less than clean feet.

Thanks again Welltan.

Alright, I watched it and my question is...

where can I buy my sixth heretic pajamas? Actually, that is a little freaky. How about just a sixth heretic wig?

Cute ... very funny... hahaha.:)

It's Saturday night and I hereby post for all the universe to know.....hear ye.....hear ye...The Lord is great and almighty, and I do give Him gloory.

Praise the Lord i found this link., Dude, like they told me, we sometimes get to the Lord by the worse possiible ways!

I drink, found myself drinking to bury my troubles. I see it all over the Bible. I see it isnt to be abused. The last time i was "in church", i was heavily convicted not to drink, ..............by all the brothers.

I have no opinion on it. I certainly dont judge a man that drinks, I certainly dont tell those that absatin its ok. The Lord may show me something different, but when he does, it will probably be a persoanl revealtion, as in, "hey john, this is what YOU need to do"

I'm starting to realize (Im renewed in Christ), they just dont teach you in church how much Jesus loves you, you just have to keep seeking Him, you will find out. Seems to me, the more you can accept, the more love there is.

So back on subject, rough day yesterday, lost a business deal i was counting on, but honestly didnt blow up on the customer (would have before), bowed my head & prayed God would give my cometitor the wisdom to really do a good job for this customer. & im not lying, i'd be kinda embarrassed to say this as it sounds so mushy. never the less, i was down a little, went home, had a small "scuffle" with the wife, closest thing we have had to an argument over poly, but ended in prayer.

So anyhow, last night, I had 2 choices, i was wore out, been drinking coffe, needed to sleep, I could read the Bible or drink a few beers..I went for the beer, calling in my memory somewhere the wine is for sorrow.....LOL, stupid Human i am...drank some, went to bed, 6 beers, i can polish off a ton without a noticable "drunk state"

took the edge off, sleep came easy

the morning took its toll, i woke up & just knew i made the wrong choice, cryed about it in prayer, told my wife, i was sad, i needed that fellowship & blew it on a few beers.....1440 minutes in a day, when they are gone they are gone....THAT my friends, was alchohol abuse in my opinion

I even told my wife, "ya know, the Bible talks about a drink for sorrow, but I spent a year and 1/2 drinking in sorrow, now that Im seeking God, he lifts that sorrow, drinking really dont work for me on sorrow, on the other hand, i sure enjoy a beer when im happy!"

Its easy to have small arguments when over tired. Its too bad if you did what turned out not to be the best thing, oh well, live and learn.

Its good you've had help dealing with people on hard days, thats transformation at work and something to be very proud of. Don't be proud of ourselves but be proud in what Christ has done in us right?

jwh,

Glad you 'woke up' to the truth of this situation. Drinking alcohol to excess will never bring the answers that one needs. God is testing you to see what you are made of. You have re-dedicated your life to the Lord and the enemy has asked to sift you. He has clearly been given permission. If you can learn to praise the Lord in the midst of these tests, then maybe you will not have to take them too many times. However, you failed this time and WILL get to take this one again.

On alcohol...

Though the following is a repetition of some of what has been said on this thread, for people who think that drinking alcohol is a sin, they do not know the Word or God. The first miracle Jesus did was turn water into wine. This was symbolic of taking the Word, (the water - Eph. 5:26) and through the power of the Holy Spirit, turning it into the love of God that is the life in Jesus and the light of the world, (the Father’s love is symbolized by the blood or wine, John 1:1-5, I Peter 4:7, I John 1:7, 5:6-13). This is the first and most important thing we must do as Christians - take the water of the Word and through Christ and the Holy Spirit, turn it into the love of God so that we can become perfected in Christ. By this the world will know that Jesus was sent from God and that we are His true disciples, (John chapters 13-17).

We need to take communion every day, (if we have the right attitude - I Corinthians Chapter 11) because Jesus is our daily bread. This is one of the ways that we ‘abide’ in Him and through Him, the love of God, (John chapter 15). Communion should be taken with real wine. The fermentation process represents taking the sweetness, (glucose or gleukos) of the grape juice and turning it into the power of ethyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol represents the power of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, (ethyl alcohol is a two carbon molecule - symbolically the power of the two witnesses of Jesus and the Holy Spirit working in the earth) when used rightly and not perverted as some do, the power of ethyl alcohol will make us feel good and give us the joy of the Lord, which is our strength in Jesus, (Neh. 8:10, John 15:11, 16:22-24 and I John 1:4). Methanol is a one carbon alcohol, isopropyl alcohol is a three carbon alcohol and both are poisonous in the natural. It is time we see the beauty of the symbolism of God in the Word and what Jesus did in His walk here among us. We must stop allowing those who do not have Godly wisdom, understanding and knowledge to put demonic-inspired guilt on us for enjoying the things that Jesus suffered and died for us to rightly enjoy.

Have a beer on me, (but everything in moderation). Cheers!

Dr. Ray

Paul not the apostle said:
If you ever have a problem with a fellow believer admonishing you for consuming alcohol, just do what I do: Tell them you are going to take a second wife

I just cracked up!
I love you because you make me laugh.

Back