• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

An amazing true marriage story

Joleneakamama

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
I found this to be inspiring and thought provoking. Thank you uncle Roger for helping me get it right.

My uncle is an artist and would draw caricatures for all kinds of functions. When he would draw a couple, he would usually try and connect their hobbies or incorporate their “How we met” story into the drawing. This one night he asked a couple how they met and got the same answer from both the husband and wife “Danged if I know!” Now, after hearing that from both of them, my uncle HAD to hear the rest of the story. It seems the husband had been a student at ASU in Tempe Arizona, he passed his mid-terms with flying colors and went out to celebrate bar hopping with his buddies. He woke up in a motel in San Diego 3 weeks later with a woman in his bed and a ring on his finger. So he looked at that ring and thought “What did I do, I’d better get out of here!” so he got up, looked the marriage license on the dresser with his name and signature on it, and started sneaking his stuff out of the room. While he was doing this, she rolled over and he got a better look at her and he thought to himself “I could do a lot worse” so he went and got in the shower. She was a college student at UCLA and passed her mid-terms with great marks and went out to celebrate bar hopping with her girlfriends. Fast forward three weeks and she is waking up in a motel room in San Diego. She could hear the shower running, saw the ring on her finger and thought “Oh no, what did I do?” so SHE got up and saw the marriage license on the dresser and decided she had better get out of there. While she was getting her things together he came walking out wearing nothing but a towel and she looked at him and thought “I could do a lot worse.” So they both decided to stay together and made the commitment they made while drunk out of their minds a conscience and sober commitment, and never looked back. They had a good and happy marriage. My uncle would have guessed that they were newlyweds, but at the time my uncle met them they had been married for 33 years and had three children. Their story goes to show that how long you know the person, how well you know them, how much you have in common, and ALL the other things people THINK matter, are not needed when a couple just makes a COMMITMENT and then lives it out.

My inner cynic is screaming naughty words, but I think that it is an awesome story.

I found this to be inspiring and thought provoking. Thank you uncle Roger for helping me get it right.

My uncle is an artist and would draw caricatures for all kinds of functions. When he would draw a couple, he would usually try and connect their hobbies or incorporate their “How we met” story into the drawing. This one night he asked a couple how they met and got the same answer from both the husband and wife “Danged if I know!” Now, after hearing that from both of them, my uncle HAD to hear the rest of the story. It seems the husband had been a student at ASU in Tempe Arizona, he passed his mid-terms with flying colors and went out to celebrate bar hopping with his buddies. He woke up in a motel in San Diego 3 weeks later with a woman in his bed and a ring on his finger. So he looked at that ring and thought “What did I do, I’d better get out of here!” so he got up, looked the marriage license on the dresser with his name and signature on it, and started sneaking his stuff out of the room. While he was doing this, she rolled over and he got a better look at her and he thought to himself “I could do a lot worse” so he went and got in the shower. She was a college student at UCLA and passed her mid-terms with great marks and went out to celebrate bar hopping with her girlfriends. Fast forward three weeks and she is waking up in a motel room in San Diego. She could hear the shower running, saw the ring on her finger and thought “Oh no, what did I do?” so SHE got up and saw the marriage license on the dresser and decided she had better get out of there. While she was getting her things together he came walking out wearing nothing but a towel and she looked at him and thought “I could do a lot worse.” So they both decided to stay together and made the commitment they made while drunk out of their minds a conscience and sober commitment, and never looked back. They had a good and happy marriage. My uncle would have guessed that they were newlyweds, but at the time my uncle met them they had been married for 33 years and had three children. Their story goes to show that how long you know the person, how well you know them, how much you have in common, and ALL the other things people THINK matter, are not needed when a couple just makes a COMMITMENT and then lives it out.
OOOHHHHH my goodness! @Joleneakamama----THAT is such an absolutely amazing story!! I'm blown away by this! WOW! Thanks sooooo much for sharing this!

Amen, and thank you so much for sharing this story. I was a cynic decades ago when a counselor asserted to me that any two people, no matter what their differences, could have a tremendous marriage if they were both committed to doing so -- and that any failing marriage points to one or both partners being insufficiently committed. But eventually I learned to see the wisdom in this.

My inner cynic is screaming naughty words, but I think that it is an awesome story.
What were they doing for 3 weeks? :eek::D

Right? And when in the 3-week period did they meet each other? Because if it was toward the beginning of the 3 weeks, one can reasonably assert that they could certainly do one hell of a lot worse!

Goodness, what a story! I could use some of that drink in that bottle in my life right about now 🤣.

Actually since I'm new here, I'm attempting to catch up🙂 while learning more about the various dialogues here on the forum.
Everybody does it. We spent weeks reading through the old threads of the forum when we first signed up. Back then though, the archives were actually small enough that you could read through most of them in a few weeks... Today that could keep you busy for a year!

Back