• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Archangel Gabriel

Sophia

I have been very inspired with the energy of Archangel Gabriel, does anyone have more passages or information about him? I want to learn more about him and his wisdom in relationships and marriage too. I just cant keep him out of my head? Please help :)

That's a bit weird honestly @Sophia. The scripture only records Gabriel delivering messages from God. There is no indication about whether he is wise at all, or just has a good memory for messages. No wisdom from him is recorded anywhere - he is a messenger.

Even the idea that he is an "archangel" is church tradition, not scripture, which just calls him an "angel" (church tradition labels every angel whose name is mentioned an "archangel", meaning chief angel, on the assumption that if we're told their name they must be important, but that's very shaky logic). All we know is that he is a trusted messenger.

That's a bit weird honestly @Sophia. The scripture only records Gabriel delivering messages from God. There is no indication about whether he is wise at all, or just has a good memory for messages. No wisdom from him is recorded anywhere - he is a messenger.

Even the idea that he is an "archangel" is church tradition, not scripture, which just calls him an "angel" (church tradition labels every angel whose name is mentioned an "archangel", meaning chief angel, on the assumption that if we're told their name they must be important, but that's very shaky logic). All we know is that he is a trusted messenger.
Thank you for this information, its very valuable

Hi @Sophia, there are two places in the KJV and NKJV translations of the Bible where you will find the word archangel; 1 Thessalonians 4:16 and Jude v:9. We read in 1 Thessalonians 4:16, For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. And in Jude v:9 , Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” The only angel identified as an archangel is Michael and, as @FollowingHim has pointed out, the angels are messengers from God. Gabriel is not identified as an archangel in the Bible and, apart from the Angel of the Lord (a pre-incarnate appearing of Jesus Christ) angels present the message of God to those God has sent them. Blessings

Angels are a interesting topic and one that is not well understood. It’s a good question.
Especially since the Hebrew term (malak, in the singular, malachim, plural) literally means "messenger." Many of them were, are, and can be, human.

That fact seems to be largely overlooked by many of the English renderings. But - if it's confusing now, just wait until...The Arrival. :D

Back