• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Are demons real?

MeganC

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Female
A comment by @Mark C inspired me to make this post. ;)

He'd mentioned someone potentially afflicted by demons and I've had thoughts along those lines in the past.

A little background is one of my weirdnesses is I can see polarized light. Other people see it too and some people can see it or perceive it when they wear certain types of sunglasses. In any case when I was little I'd describe the things I'd see and people would react as if I was crazy because they couldn't see what I could see. Like to my eye some types of black colored birds are actually very colorful in person but they're black in photographs or video. Lots of steel and cast iron and different rocks are also colorful to me but not to most people.

It doesn't mean I'm crazy it just means I see things most people can't see.

Now what about people who say they hear voices?

Yes, it's easy to dismiss them as crazy and that's what most people do is to dismiss them as crazy. Perhaps these people act crazy.

A little segue here...

It is a well known form of torture to put someone in a prison cell and then to play the same song over and over for days and weeks on end. But the real torture begins when the song is shut off and then it persists in the person's mind as an earworm. It causes them to go crazy.

Likewise people who suffer from tinnitus might be emotionally and psychologically damaged from the persistent high pitched sound.

Now if you tell other people that you hear Let It Go (the song from Frozen) all day long no one will think you're crazy even though they don't hear it themselves.

But what if you tell them you keep hearing a voice that tells you to do something bad? Or that you hear a legion of voices saying things to you all day long?

You'll be called crazy.

But what if the voices are real? I'm not saying that everyone who says they hear voices really hears these voices...but what if they are hearing voices?

Imagine hearing a stadium full of voices in your head all the time and every day? That might cause you to become a bit unstable.

So I consider that people who hear voices might not be crazy just because they say they hear voices. They might be getting driven to insanity because they really do hear these voices. Quite possibly the voices of demons or spirits.

Just because we do not hear these things ourselves is not proof that the person telling us about it isn't perceiving something the majority of people can't perceive.

After all, that earworm of Idina Menzel haunting you late at night is real, isn't it? Even though no one else hears it.

Just something to think about the next time you see someone who might be considered 'crazy'.

Maybe they need your prayers.

Interesting thoughts.

I can hear music. Not just a melody either, if I remember a song I hear the whole orchestra thar recorded it. I can also hear harmonies when all that is being played or sung is a melody....sometimes if the singer can Cary that and stay in key I'll sing what I hear.
I related before an internal dialog I had when out riding relating to my horses degree of fatigue and her inclination to try and jump an obstacle.
My husband was traveling on a narrow dirt road that wound around the mountains and says he head an audible voice tell him to move over (to his side) right around the next corner someone was coming fast and the action he took in response to that voice prevented an accident.

I can hear music. Not just a melody either, if I remember a song I hear the whole orchestra thar recorded it. I can also hear harmonies when all that is being played or sung is a melody....sometimes if the singer can Cary that and stay in key I'll sing what I hear.

I remember being fourteen and realizing that I could "hear" music in my memory like you describe. Full orchestration with every instrument and voice as if it was recorded. I even remembered the German words in Beethoven's 9th although I don't speak German. Prior to this I would hum music and remember music as being hummed.

About the same time I started to be able to visualize objects in 3D and not just in 2D like a flat picture.

I related before an internal dialog I had when out riding relating to my horses degree of fatigue and her inclination to try and jump an obstacle.
My husband was traveling on a narrow dirt road that wound around the mountains and says he head an audible voice tell him to move over (to his side) right around the next corner someone was coming fast and the action he took in response to that voice prevented an accident.

Angels are real, too! :)

Imo, anyone who doesn’t believe in angels or demons is a hypocrite if they believe in the God of the Bible.

And yes, they exist all around us.
Demons cause more problems than people realize.
10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
Who is the thief?
He is real, and he has tons of minions. Speaking to people is just one of the things that they do.
Remember that he, and presumably his minions, can appear as an angel of light.

Imo, anyone who doesn’t believe in angels or demons is a hypocrite if they believe in the God of the Bible.
Admittedly it's something I struggle with bringing into real life situations. I never catch myself chalking up things to "demons or angels." It makes me really appreciative of reading discussions like this, they're informative and eye-opening to some of us.

Last edited:
A little background is one of my weirdnesses is I can see polarized light.
Do you see auras at all?
Some people do.

Now what about people who say they hear voices?...

Just something to think about the next time you see someone who might be considered 'crazy'.
There were plenty of people afflicted by spirits (like Legion Mark 5:8-9) or with familiar spirits (Acts 16:16) in the bible.
(The priests of pharaoh are an interesting story in Exodus 7. They had power to turn their rods into snakes and could deceive many, but when faced with the power of God they were proven to be false priests. (Forgive my bad wording I'm picking at an idea I haven't fully grasped yet))
So yes, if devils or unclean spirits existed in the days of Christ (Matt 12:28, 17:15-18 Mark 1:23-27) and his apostles they would exist now.
Anyway Legion is a decent example of what evil spirits can do they made the man cry day and night and cut himself with stones. The unclean spirit that afflicted the child made him "lunatic," "sore vexed" and often made him fall into fire or water.
However, I will say that I don't believe a lot of the exorcism or "I have seen an evil spirit" stories I've heard or are in media, etc. But I do believe they would be here and afflict people in a similar manner as they did in the days of Christ.

Personally after having lived in North London and seeing my fair share of people screaming at nothing (while not on drugs), some man always walking past our room moaning and screaming at 3am every Sunday night, and a lot of other insanity, I can totally picture some people hearing evil spirits or being afflicted by them in that sort of manner, though I doubt for every one that is the case.

Do you see auras at all?
Some people do.

I don't know that I see auras. People usually look the same to me in person as they do in pictures so I'd say I probably don't.

The only thing I see that I personally think is weird is I can see a darkened area above the windshields of most cars when they're moving at speed on the highway. I do not see this on trucks, buses, or RV's with flat windshields. Just vehicles with sloped windshields.

No idea what that is and aside from right here I don't think I've mentioned this to anyone in years.

A comment by @Mark C inspired me to make this post. ;)

He'd mentioned someone potentially afflicted by demons and I've had thoughts along those lines in the past.

A little background is one of my weirdnesses is I can see polarized light. Other people see it too and some people can see it or perceive it when they wear certain types of sunglasses. In any case when I was little I'd describe the things I'd see and people would react as if I was crazy because they couldn't see what I could see. Like to my eye some types of black colored birds are actually very colorful in person but they're black in photographs or video. Lots of steel and cast iron and different rocks are also colorful to me but not to most people.

Now what about people who say they hear voices?

Yes, it's easy to dismiss them as crazy and that's what most people do is to dismiss them as crazy. Perhaps these people act crazy.

A little segue here...

It is a well known form of torture to put someone in a prison cell and then to play the same song over and over for days and weeks on end. But the real torture begins when the song is shut off and then it persists in the person's mind as an earworm. It causes them to go crazy.

Likewise people who suffer from tinnitus might be emotionally and psychologically damaged from the persistent high pitched sound.

Now if you tell other people that you hear Let It Go (the song from Frozen) all day long no one will think you're crazy even though they don't hear it themselves.

But what if you tell them you keep hearing a voice that tells you to do something bad? Or that you hear a legion of voices saying things to you all day long?

You'll be called crazy.

But what if the voices are real? I'm not saying that everyone who says they hear voices really hears these voices...but what if they are hearing voices?

Imagine hearing a stadium full of voices in your head all the time and every day? That might cause you to become a bit unstable.

So I consider that people who hear voices might not be crazy just because they say they hear voices. They might be getting driven to insanity because they really do hear these voices. Quite possibly the voices of demons or spirits.

Just because we do not hear these things ourselves is not proof that the person telling us about it isn't perceiving something the majority of people can't perceive.

After all, that earworm of Idina Menzel haunting you late at night is real, isn't it? Even though no one else hears it.

Maybe they need your prayers.
Yes they are real. Like any spiritual gift some people are more sensitive to different things in the spiritual world and others. I’m not overly sensitive although I have had experiences. Michael Heiser has some interesting work in this area.

Yes they are real. Like any spiritual gift some people are more sensitive to different things in the spiritual world and others. I’m not overly sensitive although I have had experiences. Michael Heiser has some interesting work in this area.

I tend to be more pragmatic than spiritual and I was addressing the subject from a pragmatic point of view.

IMG_4823.jpeg
Here’s some modified imagery with how some believe starlings might see each other. I was kind of surprised because I see starlings about halfway between these two. Didn’t know that wasn’t normal until a few years ago. I had a cross breed rooster that was just a rainbow of colors to me. Nobody else was nearly as impressed as I was, didn’t make sense to me why I always got such mundane responses to how he looked. Turns out they saw a mostly black bird but I saw something halfway to that right image.

I’m pretty pragmatic as well. That was a pragmatic statement that I said. Different people see different things. Sometimes they’re crazy and sometimes they’re actually seeing what. Praying for them is best. It works perfectly. That is a good suggestion

No, what's that?
I think @windblown was referring to this.

Answering the original question, yes demons are real. They are in the Bible. Jesus and His disciples regularly cast them out of people.

Another question is this: What are demons, or unclean spirits?

I've always assumed them to be fallen angels. Lately I've heard the view that they are the disembodied spirits of dead nephilim, repha'im (evil giant hybrids descended from fallen angels and human women).

View attachment 6749
Here’s some modified imagery with how some believe starlings might see each other. I was kind of surprised because I see starlings about halfway between these two. Didn’t know that wasn’t normal until a few years ago. I had a cross breed rooster that was just a rainbow of colors to me. Nobody else was nearly as impressed as I was, didn’t make sense to me why I always got such mundane responses to how he looked. Turns out they saw a mostly black bird but I saw something halfway to that right image.

That picture on the right is about what I see with starlings! How did you do that????????

Maybe not the bright red so much though.

Last edited:
Back