• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Attitude is everything

sweetlissa

Real Person
Female
I want to talk about the attitude that women need to have about everything in our lives. In the past several weeks, I have made a huge change in the way I think, and I want to share. I have begun to look forward to each day, including its challenges. For "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psa 118:24)

I have been reading several of the boards and lots of the posts on them. I see a theme that seems to be throughout the world of sister-wives. One thing I read said something to the affect that some people like separate houses because the wives are uncomfortable seeing hubby display affection to the sister-wife and it is hard for them to see him going to the other wife's room. The writer referred to the time hubby was with the other wife as "being away" and it seemed like she was in denial to the situation. This kind of rubbed me the wrong way so I had to figure out why. I think that when we think like this it is a way of staying in denial about what is happening in our family. It is not comfortable at first, I know. So many things that we enjoy in life are uncomfortable at first. Exercise, having children, studying, eating right. Even sex is uncomfortable at first. Each of these situations begin as uncomfortable, but through practice and by acknowledging the positives that they bring, we come to a place where we enjoy the activity and embrace the good it does for us.

I am not saying that everyone who has different wives in different locations is in denial. Each family must do what is right for the entire family. What I am getting to is the attitude of denial. The attitude of pretense that everything is the same as always, just hubby doesn't come home every night. I think about the time that hubby was overseas. I was married, but I wasn't responsible for his care and feeding every day. That gave me the freedom to do things for myself that many wives wouldn't have the opportunity to do. I think that this attitude can be easily brought into a biblical family. I do not have a sister-wife at the moment (That is another story). I am working on a quilt project right now, that I must squeeze in between all my other responsibilities as a wife who works out of the home. So my quilt is moving at a slow pace. If I had a sister-wife, it would be very okay for me to say "SW will you take care of the wife jobs today so I can concentrate on my quilt?" In all likelihood, she would have no problem with that because there are times when she says to me "SW I want to go shopping all day today, will you take care of the wife jobs?" This allows us both freedom to do things that interest us without neglecting our poor helpless hubby.

Yes it is uncomfortable to see hubby showing affection to a sister-wife at first. But don't we get used to what we want to get used to? When we had to start exercising to lose a bit of weight wasn't that uncomfortable at first? Did we get to a place where we liked what it did for us and decided that it was worth the discomfort? I know I did. I believe that every positive in our lives has things associated that are maybe not so pleasant. Does hubby make a lot of money, but work lots of hours for it? Do you drive a nice car but have a large car payment? Do you stay at home with your children and homeschool, but sacrifice expensive toys and vacations for it? Everything has trade-offs. I believe that to "get used" to this kind of lifestyle is better than the alternative. I believe once the door to polygyny is opened it won't close, so...

1. if you embrace the possibilities of what poly can do for you, it can be a wonderful thing
2. if you are bitter and angry, you may control your hubby to the point where he never gets a second wife but at what cost?
3. if he never has a second wife because you are not ready for it, is he secretly fantasizing about it? Or is he resenting you because you are stopping him from what he believes is his right and possibly calling?
4. is it possible that some men may secretly marry another woman and by denying him this right, you may be driving a wedge between you.

These are not accusations, by the way. They are really questions to ask yourself. I have asked myself all of these questions through the years. But because of my new attitude on life, I wanted to share what poly can do for you. I don't have children, but if I had a sister-wife who was willing to love my children for a few hours here and there, it would be so much easier. Imagine how much nicer it would be to do your housework without constant interruptions from hubby or children because there is another who is willing to help them. Or imagine that you don't have to do all the housework or cooking because there is another there who is just as willing. Imagine, going on a weekend with hubby, knowing exactly who is with the children and that they are safe and well cared for. Imagine, taking care of her children so she can do the same thing. I have a picture in my mind of a great sleepover complete with movies, cookie baking and popcorn.

Maybe I am crazy, I don't know. But I miss having another wife to share with. I would love to have a friend who would go shopping with me. Someone to plan with and to encourage and love in a way that only very best friends can. I miss having someone to talk to each day who knows me almost as well as I know myself. I miss having someone I can depend on to back me up. I want every woman on this board to understand that while yes, our husbands do want another wife and that can be hard to deal with at first, we can also want a sister wife and that is wonderful.

I guess that I really want to encourage each lady on this board to be thankful and to be content. Our husbands know God and they have been given a special knowledge that not everyone has. They would not be given this knowledge unless God wanted them to do something with it. So in every situation we should be content and be thankful for the husband that God gave us. We should also be generous and sensitive to the possibility that God may want to give him to another wife.

SweetLissa

First, I have to say that I appreciate your willingness to help women have a more content attitude regarding their families' journey with plural marriage.

However, I have to take issue with 3rd and 4th points towards the end of your post.

3. if he never has a second wife because you are not ready for it, is he secretly fantasizing about it? Or is he resenting you because you are stopping him from what he believes is his right and possibly calling?
4. is it possible that some men may secretly marry another woman and by denying him this right, you may be driving a wedge between you.

While I understand that these points can actually could potentially be a reality for some women, I feel that trying to motivate women with fear is not the best move. If God is leading a family down the PM path, then it is the best path. When He leads someone somewhere He gives them the grace and strength to do it. The motivating factor should be obedience and trust in the Lord's plan, not the fact that the husband could secretly run off and marry someone else, or fantasize about the perfect plural marriage scenario.

The spirit of the post was supposed to be one of encouragement, but the 3rd and 4th points change the whole tone of it. If I was brand new to reading these boards, I would have a tight anxious chest and feel as if I had a dark cloud moving over me after reading some of the points. I would not have the knowledge to move forward in confidence that the Lord's plan is best and perfect, but be afraid that I better "get my act together" because my husband might do some horrible thing to me that will break my heart.

The "get my act together" train of thought might initially work to make the husband feel that things are ready to move forward with another woman, but it will come back to bite everyone in the behind later. If the wife is not okay with the situation and right with God about it before another women is involved she certainly won't be persuaded any easier with another woman in the mix. Then, the first wife will STILL have lots of resentment to deal with but another woman is already in the picture. That makes everything much more difficult to get through.I am imagining terrible chaos with crying children, cat fights among the women and a husband that wishes that he was a bachelor again and is on his way to search BF archives about how to go about writing TWO bills of divorcement!

Helping women understand FIRST that God will guide them, give them peace, joy and eagerness for the next stage will help women find true contentment in moving forward. If a woman has her eyes on the Lord and trusts Him with all her heart (Proverbs 3:5,6) then there is no fear in going forward. Her feet will be directed down the path that God has chosen for the family.

Well said Seekinggrace, we see the fallout from so many rushed relationships were the, wives especially, were just not ready but felt they had to or else they were failing their marriage. That sort of attitude either makes things incredibly unstable for second wives (NOT good) or encourages the serial monogamy paradigm that we all abhor.

If his fantasy life is so much larger than his marriage, I would seriously question his motivation.

B

I am not trying to motivate with fear. I am trying to allow people to see that some actions (trying to control husband because of their own fear) can actually backfire on them. I am asking people to be realistic about what happens once the poly door is opened.

Many of the women I have met have been in just this type of situation. My encouragement is that if women "get used to the idea" more quickly rather than fight it, it may turn out that they will like the end result. When wives fight their husbands, then it is usually seen as the wife trying to control the husband.

The point of my post was to show that a change in attitude may be in order for some people. If you think this is motivation by fear, you can see it that way. I see it as encouraging women to follow their men because then we may have some say so in the way things work.

Imagine fighting and fighting and fighting. Eventually you give in grudgingly and LET hubby had a new wife. He picks badly and you are stuck with someone that you would not have chosen.

Imagine, assisting hubby in finding a person that is just as wonderful for you as she is for him.

I think that a wise woman, after confirming that poly is not sinful, will try to help their husband to follow God in whatever he does. If not, he may go forward without her. This applies to every aspect of following our husbands, whether it deals with employment, ministry, poly, or any number of other possibilities.

SweetLissa

sweetlissa said:
I am asking people to be realistic about what happens once the poly door is opened.

When wives fight their husbands, then it is usually seen as the wife trying to control the husband.

Eventually you give in grudgingly and LET hubby had a new wife. He picks badly and you are stuck with someone that you would not have chosen.

If not, he may go forward without her. .

SweetLissa

Perhaps 'if' the door is opened it's ok to just peep into the next room and assess the situation instead of tying on the running shoes and waiting for the starting gun. Also, if a wife isn't ready to race headlong into an entirely new way of life, maybe a little caution on the part of the husband is totally within reason. Afterall, we wouldn't buy a house or make any other huge decision without careful planning, saving, and being in some sort of agreement on it. Would we?

sweetlissa said:
When wives fight their husbands, then it is usually seen as the wife trying to control the husband.

Why would it automatically be seen as 'trying to control' your husband?'
Why wouldn't it be seen as simply a difference of opinion and something to work on...unless of course you happen to be married to someone who just assumes their opinion is the only one that matters?

Hey i love your spirit, you sound like a mature women of God. Keep telling the truth, me and my husband have been seeking God on poly marriages, and we really believe that God is leading my husband to marry another women. My husband recieved the knowledge of poly marriages for about 2 months now, and he and I are ready to go for it. My husband has already taught me so much about this. But Your post have prophesied to me, b/c i was questioning so much in my spirit, like feeling akward about this new thing, but now i feel so much better, and encouraged, b/c God saw my weakeness and encouraged me through you.

sweetlissa said:
If I had a sister-wife, it would be very okay for me to say "SW will you take care of the wife jobs today so I can concentrate on my quilt?" In all likelihood, she would have no problem with that because there are times when she says to me "SW I want to go shopping all day today, will you take care of the wife jobs?" This allows us both freedom to do things that interest us without neglecting our poor helpless hubby.

What's this 'wife jobs'? and 'poor helpless hubby'? I don't understand. I've never met a man incapable of making dinner or doing some laundry. Are we talking about wives, partners and friends or servants here?

donnag said:
What's this 'wife jobs'? and 'poor helpless hubby'? I don't understand. I've never met a man incapable of making dinner or doing some laundry. Are we talking about wives, partners and friends or servants here?

No offence but I find the whole infantilisation of men thing very dismissive and condescending to men, most of whom I know personally are incredibly capable human beings who can do almost everything a woman can do (bar giving birth and breast feeding) absolutely perfectly and sometimes with an added touch of flair!

Who are these adolescent married men who can't take care of themselves for five minutes without a woman to care for them? If a man needs Mama/wifey/nursey around to care for his domestic needs 24/7 he should never have been married in the first place.

I want only capable, strong people in my life, not emotionally wrecks, not needy co-dependants and not men coasting on penis entitlement, thanks all the same.

This life is a hard one, if the people in it, don't have the strength as individuals than they won't be able to communicate effectively. Co dependant and needy people will rely on guidance from others, rather than take responsibility for themselves and their own happiness.

B

sweetlissa said:
I guess that I really want to encourage each lady on this board to be thankful and to be content. Our husbands know God and they have been given a special knowledge that not everyone has. They would not be given this knowledge unless God wanted them to do something with it. So in every situation we should be content and be thankful for the husband that God gave us. We should also be generous and sensitive to the possibility that God may want to give him to another wife.

Kudos Lissa ! I just want to thank you for your entire message. There is much wisdom in your words and I hope many women are blessed by them! :)

Blessings,
Fairlight

donnag said:
Why would it automatically be seen as 'trying to control' your husband?'

There's nothing wrong with a wife sharing an opinion or having a different opinion but the husband is the head of the home and the head of the wife (Ephesians 5). He has a responsibility to love his wife as Christ loves the Church and the wife's responsibility is to submit to her husband even if she disagrees with him (unless he is asking her to do something sinful). A wife "fighting her husband" is the opposite of submission. A wife not submitting to her husband is being controlling. I think we all do it at times but that doesn't make it right.

Blessings,
Fairlight

It just reminds me of 2 of my friends with 'needy' husbands. One couldn't go for 1 week, once a year to visit her sister unless she cooked 3 meals a day for her husband (including dessert) and labeled, stacked and froze them, complete with re-heating instructions and made sure he had everything he even thought he needed. He called her several times a day to ask questions. He was a stock broker- no dummy.

The other friend couldn't leave the house if it were near time for her husband to get up in the afternoon (he worked second shift) because she had to wake him up. I asked her why he didn't buy an alarm clock and she said he had one, he just wanted her to wake him up. He was in the military- no dummy- and I'm sure he didn't treat the people he worked with and respected with such little respect.

I see that as controlling, needy and childish and nothing to be rewarded.

The 'wife duties' makes me think that men think if they don't have access to immediate sex upon demand, they may call a dating service or something. My goodness.

My former sw had a perfectly good alarm clock and she knew how to use it. But she preferred that one of us wake her up by the phone each morning, rather than using her clock.

Donnag, you do things for your husband just because he asks you to, don't you? Some hubbies on this board (right, wrong or otherwise) will not cook, clean or do any of what they consider to be "wife-jobs." When wives marry them they understand that it will always be this way. Sometimes they may elect to bring in dinner or take us out, but we can never expect them to do more than make a sandwich or a bowl of cereal. I accept that, because I love my hubby and there are things about me that he accepts.

Relationships are about serving each other.

SweetLissa

Donnag,
My post is only about my attitude. My attitude is the only one I can control. I cannot demand that he serve me. I can only trust that God will take care of me. I can ask him, nicely, to do things for me. He can ask me to do things for him. If I have a proper attitude, I will do for my husband what he asks. If he has a proper attitude then he will do what I ask. But that is not for me to control. I can only talk about my attitude and share my attitude.

If I were to write about how to manipulate my husband into doing what I want him to do, then I would be sharing a sinful attitude with all the other ladies.

I am in no way condemning anyone with this post. Just asking people to check their attitudes.

SweetLissa

I guess I think that we can become enablers of childish behavior in a quest to be 'submissive' and no one respects a enabler.

God respects a submissive wife regardless of what psychological term you put on it. God's word is the final authority.

Even if our husbands are wrong in the end, God will bless us for our submissive hearts.

SweetLissa

I am more thankful than ever for my loving, kind and caring husband who would never expect me to do anything 'just because he says so'.

sweetlissa said:
God respects a submissive wife regardless of what psychological term you put on it. God's word is the final authority.

Even if our husbands are wrong in the end, God will bless us for our submissive hearts.

This is so true! Husbands aren't always right but we need to show them respect and love ANYWAY and sometimes in spite of it. Like the thread title says ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING!!!
Thanks again, Lissa :)

Blessings,
Fairlight

Back