• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Authority, submission, and chain of command

It's possible I'm being obtuse but I am very leery of any power structure that isn't clearly laid out in scripture. I think most of this ground was plowed in the '70's with the shepherding movement wasn't it? Ultimately I don't think we have the right to cede authority. It all comes from God so he has given it to who He wants to have it. If He doesn't make it clear in His Word then I am not sure it can be anything other than an option for folks who decide they like that state but understand they're still personally responsible to God for what comes out of these other men's actions.

Ultimately I don't think we have the right to cede authority. It all comes from God so he has given it to who He wants to have it...

But whether we should and whether we DO are two different things. He has clearly (Deut. 30:15 et al) given us the right to choose, which includes even rejecting Him.

Zec, are you going to engage with the verses I've posted or not?

It's possible I'm being obtuse but I am very leery of any power structure that isn't clearly laid out in scripture.
You're not being obtuse. You're exhibiting symptoms of cultural conditioning that prevent you from thinking clearly and logically about a subject that is emotionally loaded.

I have provided the only power structure that is "clearly laid out in scripture" 100 posts ago: Men rule their houses, and elders rule the community. Man is the head of the woman, and Christ is the head of the body, or the church, or of 'every man'. I've shown you mine; you show me yours.

I think most of this ground was plowed in the '70's with the shepherding movement wasn't it?
No.

Ultimately I don't think we have the right to cede authority.
Show me from scripture what you mean by that and why you think that. Otherwise you're just musing out loud.

It all comes from God so he has given it to who He wants to have it.
A truism, a platitude, but it doesn't get us any closer to the biblical truth. Paul gives the same authority to men over the home that he gives to elders over the community. If you think otherwise, quote two or three passages that back you up and explain how you distinguish them from the ones I posted.

If He doesn't make it clear in His Word then I am not sure it can be anything other than an option for folks who decide they like that state but understand they're still personally responsible to God for what comes out of these other men's actions.
It's not exactly clear what you mean by this, but it doesn't matter until you come up with a scriptural argument in support of your other unsupported assertions.

Re-reading "Slumberfreeze's Lament", I picked up on the "ceded authority" comment that Zec was presumably responding to, so I'm going to add "begging the question" to my response to Zec above. Until we agree on what authority is given by God to elders and what is given by God to husbands, then it doesn't make sense to act as if we have. Meanwhile, I think it's pretty clear what Slumberfreeze meant, but I'll spell it out if I have to.

Okay Andrew maybe I was being too cautious. I don't think those verses say what you may or may not be implying they say. You haven't taken a strong stance on what you think is the right take on this. I think this topic is very important to you and so you're being too cautious yourself. I wonder if we're seeing some lawyerly tactics here where you're setting up your position and maybe your readers with pointed questions but not wanting to give up any rhetorical advantage yourself. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

So to be blunt, I don't see anywhere that elders have authority outside of the assembly. It's hard to prove a negative so can you show me where elders from the assembly should have authority in the broader community?

I'm willing to be convinced. I just haven't been yet.

So I went back and found where you referenced 1 Thessalonian 5:12-13 and 1 Timothy I forgot the chapter and verse. I still don't see where they get you outside the assembly, Thessalonians certainly doesn't. 1 Timothy could if you keep reading farther than you reference but even that has to be seen in light of the fact that only action allowed the church is disfellowship. Sinners can be excluded from the assembly. That seems pretty solid evidence that the elders do not have authority beyond the assembly.

I want to build community as much as anyone. I feel called to it. But I don't think super empowered elders is the path. I get the thinking, build it and they will come. There has to some kind of infrastructure in place. I'm just now getting free of extra-biblical power structures. I would be very hesitant to get back under another.

Ultimately I don't think we have the right to cede authority.

My bad. I don't mean giving over my authority to others, which obviously I have no right to do. I mean I would have respect and acknowledge their position as elders, placing myself under their authority.

Andrew, I don't have the time to really dig into the issue right now, but I want to say that I appreciate how you've set up a kind of "as you measure it out, so will it be measured out to you" balance here between eldership and a head of household. We don't want autocrats over us, and we must not be autocrats. We would not submit to that sort of leadership, and we must not require it of those in our houses. On the other hand, our households need real authoritative leadership, and so do we. I also appreciate that no earthly authority is absolute, and that each authority has its own sphere and limitations, including our own, but it is real authority nevertheless.

I look forward to seeing where you're going with this.

Zec, let me ease your mind:

I don't even know why the subject of "outside the assembly" has come up. The only assertion I have ever made is that elders rule the community the same way husbands rule the household. Not an issue.

Neither are "super empowered" elders, whatever that means, but it doesn't matter what it means because it's not an issue.

And nobody wants you to go back to "extra-biblical" power structures. The only thing I've suggested is that we take seriously what the bible says.

More later.

Andrew, I don't have the time to really dig into the issue right now, but I want to say that I appreciate how you've set up a kind of "as you measure it out, so will it be measured out to you" balance here between eldership and a head of household. We don't want autocrats over us, and we must not be autocrats. We would not submit to that sort of leadership, and we must not require it of those in our houses. On the other hand, our households need real authoritative leadership, and so do we. I also appreciate that no earthly authority is absolute, and that each authority has its own sphere and limitations, including our own, but it is real authority nevertheless.

I look forward to seeing where you're going with this.
I appreciate your appreciation! :D And I just want to reiterate that all I'm doing here is looking closely at what Paul said about it, so my contention is that the balance you're talking about is baked into the NT cake. I'm just calling attention to it.

Zec - Please forgive or indulge my short tone. I'm just moving very fast and don't mean to sound snippy.

Sinners can be excluded from the assembly. That seems pretty solid evidence that the elders do not have authority beyond the assembly.

I want to build community as much as anyone. I feel called to it. But I don't think super empowered elders is the path.

Those comments, in particular, remind me of what I submit is one of the lessons of the Exodus. The "mixed multitude" all came "out of Mitzraim/Egypt" voluntarily and submitted to the authority of YHVH, via Moshe and Aaron. What is interesting is all of the specific Instruction that has to do with "inside the camp" (where it is clean/tahor (down to ashes and potty patrol) and 'set apart'. Unclean things (like gossips/metzorim) are set "outside the camp".

But I frequently refer to cycles - of physics, electronics, economics, history, and, yes, prophecy...and contend that we are, in many respects, at the opposite 'half-cycle' today. (Think sine wave; positive cycle, and the negative is the inverted mirror image.)

THE WHOLE STEENKIN' CAMP ( the world, aka the "Greater Babylon Metro Area" ) is sinful, tainted, infused with death as a god, and profanely unclean.

It is US who need (like the tribes, before the plagues) to "Come OUT of her."

I suggest the kind of 'elders' that some are seeking (witness the summary in this week's parsha, Deuteronomy/Devarim chapter 1) are for later. (Again, I have no problem with voluntary, informed submission to 'righteous', Torah-observant authority, but in that case we're talking about 'enclaves' within a cesspool. That is a key difference: inside the camp, vs inside 'Egypt')

Ironically, it was Yitro, Moshe's once-pagan father-in-law, who suggested the concept of delegation of authority.

That kind of leadership, under His Authority, will be provided "in the camp".

Zec, let me ease your mind:

I don't even know why the subject of "outside the assembly" has come up. The only assertion I have ever made is that elders rule the community the same way husbands rule the household. Not an issue.

Neither are "super empowered" elders, whatever that means, but it doesn't matter what it means because it's not an issue.

And nobody wants you to go back to "extra-biblical" power structures. The only thing I've suggested is that we take seriously what the bible says.

More later.

So the community isn't outside the assembly? I take the assembly to mean corporate worship.

The more fertile field for this topic might be whoever was sitting the gates making all those judgments in the Old Testament.

I take the assembly to mean corporate worship.
Nope.

Meanwhile, nothing says elders rule over "the assembly", let alone "corporate worship". And the purpose of the ekklesia is not limited to corporate worship. Is the purpose of any modern fellowship limited to corporate worship routines? Where do you get that idea?

What the elders rule over is people. The "you" that they rule would include everybody Paul wrote his letters to. If those letters are being read to 'all the saints in ____' (and they are), then according to Paul the elders would be ruling over 'all the saints' that God has called out of death and darkness into fellowship with each other. (And while we're at it, take a look at the word fellowship, how it's used in the NT, and what the etymology of the English word 'fellowship' is.)

And how are they appointed and are there checks and balances or are they rulers for life? Suddenly I'm starting to get an inkling of how the Catholics ended up with a pope.

This is exactly the kind of thread I appreciate seeing here on BF, though such a fast moving thread during a really busy week is hard to keep up with. :)

Keep in mind, my thoughts below are really me thinking this out. Some of this may not be as fully fleshed out as I need it to be for my own understanding, even more so for yours.

Where we are right now, what I'm speaking is not so much the issue, but Paul is speaking in terms of rule, not counsel. So that's why I say that I agree with aineo as far as he goes, but I don't think he goes far enough (yet) to address the issues raised by Paul's language. And I'm still mindful of the identicalness of Paul's instructions to men and to elders, so it's hard for me to consider rewriting the verses about elders and deacons to say counsel without then suggesting that we ought also to rewrite the verse concerning husbands.

@andrew What you are speaking of still requires leadership at the consent of the governed in my mind.

One thing I keep thinking about is how we, as followers of Christ, are to function as a family. If we step back in history to Biblical times there was a much stronger family structure than there is today. As I understand it, multiple generations might choose to live in the same home, and if they did then the elder of that family, the most senior man present (grandpa for the sake of example), was respected and his advice was heeded. Again, as I understand it, if one of his grandson's greatly disagreed with grandpa's advice or direction, that grandson could take his wife and children and leave, but he might do so to his own peril and shame. In some ways that is similar to the leadership @Mojo described.

People wouldn't have submitted themselves to his headship just because he was older, people would have submitted to his headship because he was wise. Yes, you could argue that they had to live under his roof for financial reason (couldn't survive without the benefits of the family), but I content if the elder wasn't wise, his descendants would leave.

How much authority might this elder have in the lives of those around him? I suspect he had a say in wives his descendent might take, business ventures, careers, and so on. This doesn't necessarily mean that a modern Christian elder has that much of a role, but the examples are helping me think this out.

What other roles might this elder play in the lives of those he oversees? I suspect this wise elder would have learned from his elders. Perhaps an indication of this would be his wise money management, which would allow him to ensure no one under his headship starved. He would probably work hard to teach those skills to his descendants in order that his fortune wouldn't be squandered after his death.

As I think this out, I think the ideal elder would mimic this within the church. What might that look like though? I still go back to an earlier statement of mine in that I think others would seek the counsel of this elder. Yes, that is different than rule, but if others do not respect an elder enough to seek their counsel, they sure aren't going to respect their rule. As I see it, it is that wisdom in counsel that earns the right for more authority over our lives, albeit authority that we are permitting that person to have. If they go off the deep end and start directing us against the teachings in the Bible, then we can pack our bags and join another house or form our own.

There is more to it though, I think. I touched on this a moment ago: no one under his headship starved. I think this aligns with the Acts church. The "family" all brought a portion of their wages to the church, and if there was one in need, those funds were distributed appropriately.

Back on topic, I agree with @andrew that elders certainly have real authority over the men under them, you can't really read this any other way. The question in my mind is not whether they have authority, but what parts of life do they have authority over?

So having authority over somebody does not necessarily mean being able to command them in every aspect of life. Authority is given within bounds, not unlimited.

What are the bounds within which an elder has authority? Elders clearly have authority over matters directly relating to the function of the assembly - what doctrine is taught as valid, who can preach, how to use money donated to the assembly, when and where to meet, whether to buy a building or rent, collective evangelism... Men within the assembly must clearly submit to the elders in such matters. Is it possible that the verses talking about the authority of elders relate solely to such matters? Is there any clear scripture indicating that the authority of elders extends to the personal lives of the men in the assembly?

Like @ZecAustin has said elsewhere, I don't see where these lines are clearly defined, but it seems to me that there is wisdom in an elder having some say in the lives of those who have aligned with him.

Using an example pertinent to all of us, let's suppose for a moment that a man joins our community and he currently has one wife. As we get to know this man, it becomes clear that he isn't providing solid leadership within his family, and he isn't able to solidly provide for them. If that man were to come to an elder in our community here and state that he believes he has found #2, that elder might tell him no, the time is not right. The elder would be doing this in the best interest of the man, seeing it from a vantage point the man might be unable to see because he is too close to it.

Another example might be if a man were to come to an elder and share a business idea he has, but the elder in his wisdom might realize the man doesn't have the ability (funds) to see this through to success, and the business will likely fail. I can see the elder telling him not to do it. On the flipside, I can also see the elder in a slightly different situation suggesting others under his headship consider investing in this man's business idea, which might benefit the whole "family".

Even though I have more thoughts on this, this is getting long, and I've got a lot to do other than this today. More to come ...

So the community isn't outside the assembly? I take the assembly to mean corporate worship.

The more fertile field for this topic might be whoever was sitting the gates making all those judgments in the Old Testament.

The words translated as "assembly" or even "congregation" from Hebrew in the TNKH are either "edah/edat" or "cahal". They were used for "kol (all) the assembly," or all the B'nai Israel (mixed multitude, by that point, Sons of Israel, including those -- like Caleb -- that were 'grafted in').

The midrash often claims (although it is NOT, so far as I recall, clearly demonstrable from Scripture alone) that "righteous Lot" sat in the gates at Sodom.

Later, after the time of Joshua, similar usually applied to 'elders' or leadership who sat in the gates of walled cities. I have generally CONCLUDED (my opinion, IOW) that the position primarily applied to such walled cities, which offered protection to those who choose to come in, and were allowed to stay. The point I make, based on that observation, is that the choice to submit to that authority was voluntary, as a condition of that covering.

Presumably one could leave, unless, as in the case of a marriage Covenant, the vows were life-long.

The words translated as "assembly" or even "congregation" from Hebrew in the TNKH are either "edah/edat" or "cahal". They were used for "kol (all) the assembly," or all the B'nai Israel (mixed multitude, by that point, Sons of Israel, including those -- like Caleb -- that were 'grafted in').

The midrash often claims (although it is NOT, so far as I recall, clearly demonstrable from Scripture alone) that "righteous Lot" sat in the gates at Sodom.

Later, after the time of Joshua, similar usually applied to 'elders' or leadership who sat in the gates of walled cities. I have generally CONCLUDED (my opinion, IOW) that the position primarily applied to such walled cities, which offered protection to those who choose to come in, and were allowed to stay. The point I make, based on that observation, is that the choice to submit to that authority was voluntary, as a condition of that covering.

Presumably one could leave, unless, as in the case of a marriage Covenant, the vows were life-long.

This seems very relevant and instructive. It certainly fleshes things out a little bit. It seems any times the NT leaves us with questions the OT will frequently fill in the blanks.

Back