• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Benefits and drawbacks to "legal" wife

Great discussion everyone! Loving it.

Ok, I'm slow to how this would be a problem. Tell me more.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
If this lets the first wife feel she has more security, then it equally makes the second wife feel she has less security.
Psychologically it would be better for both to feel the same, and not feel that one is privileged above the other.
X about 2

I am not married at all, but here's something I've thought of...

The legal status of the first wife gives her more security in her position at the top and makes it easier for her to welcome another wife into the home without feeling threatened by her. The way I see it, anything that increases the confidence of the first wife that the other woman will not supplant her and the other woman's children will not supplant her own children, can only be a good thing.

But I'm very interested in this thread and would like to see more folks weigh in on it.
It can be a drawback for additional wives though. Additional wives have absolutely no legal claim to anything they've contributed to the household of a legally married couple or any financial security if anything ever happens to the husband, the legal wife has control of the household assets and finances. It's something many people on here don't like to acknowledge for some reason lol

Last edited:
It can be a drawback for additional wives though. Additional wives have absolutely no legal claim to anything they've contributed to the household of a legally married couple or any financial security if anything ever happens to the husband, the legal wife has control of the household assets and finances. It's something many people on here don't like to acknowledge for some reason lol
And there it is.

Do you HONESTLY expect a "court" that sanctions outright election theft, ignores the Supreme Law of the Land and now EVERY element of what were ONCE called "God-given, Constitutionally-PROTECTED Rights," and turns His Instruction upside-down while mandating the teaching of abominations to children (at 'taxpayer expense', no less)
...to pay any heed to YOUR well-being?

They just allowed routinely face diaper and zyklon-B mandates to stand, while the land was destroyed, and have now followed up with silence while the entire Ohio River drainage was chemically firebombed. Yeah, and that's just for starters.

There's a reason I suggest people not ask those who serve 'the Adversary' for his benevolent 'protection'.

Much of that can be addressed with the use of legal structures such as trusts, S corporations etc, as well as life insurance policies for each individual wife.

It is a real concern

Much of that can be addressed with the use of legal structures such as trusts, S corporations etc, as well as life insurance policies for each individual wife.

It is a real concern
True, i'm curious how some of this would hold up in court though, if the legal wife really wanted to make a fuss about any of it? Her stance could be- my husband, who i'm legally married to in the eyes of our government signed away some our mutual assets/finances to his mistress.

I'm sure i'm thinking too much into it and there are ways around it. However when someone suggests that legal marriage makes the first wife "more comfortable and secure with adding additional wives" I can't help but question where is that same security for the other non-legal wives? Among other things such as- is giving the first wife all of the legal authority over these things always beneficial when multiple wives and children are involved?

Last edited:
I can't help but question where is that same security for the other wives? Among other things such as, is giving the first wife all of the legal authority over these things always a good idea?
👍

True, i'm curious how some of this would hold up in court though, if the legal wife really wanted to make a fuss about any of it? Her stance could be- my husband, who i'm legally married to in the eyes of our government signed away some our mutual assets/finances to his mistress.

I'm sure i'm thinking too much into it and there are ways around it. However when someone suggests that legal marriage makes the first wife "more comfortable and secure with adding additional wives" I can't help but question where is that same security for the other non-legal wives? Among other things such as- is giving the first wife all of the legal authority over these things always beneficial when multiple wives and children are involved?
I don't see how the husband could legally sign away property that the civil law regards as joint property. I think the 'paperwork wife" would also need to sign off on this sort of thing (and probably also have professional assistance from accountants and estate planning lawyers in setting it up).

Exactly why it is far better to have every wife on equal footing, and that can only be achieved with no marriage licences.

Unfortunately as @MeganC has pointed out, in some jurisdictions this may not be realistic, and a legal wife may be important for various bureaucratic reasons. And even more unfortunately, for most of us it's too late to figure this out. @Sam Speaks can however start out the right way!

The biggest drawback to a "legal" wife is the Almighty State licenses the marriage, controls the contract, and OWNS the "output" (i.e., children, among other things.) AND, Scripture backs 'em up, too. (Exodus 21, tonight's Torah parsha).
Trust me, this is not true. I have been through the system with a legal wife and a girlfriend and it was no different either way.

There are both advantages and disadvantages from a purely human perspective. But as @Mark C has pointed out above it gives the state controls where God gives them no right to be involved. Why give away more than necessary to a tyrannical system? Around the world governments have recently made huge power-grabs and, like a runaway freight train, it's almost unstoppable now. Personally I wouldn't give away any freedom unnecessarily.
As poorly thought through as every thing you say. There is no difference in how the system treats those with a marriage license or not.

Inappropriate personal attack, do not respond in kind.
Are you claiming to know everything about how the system works in every country?
Yes. I read it in a secret book that’s more reliable than the law code and if only you would read it you wouldn’t be a moron anymore. I hope you find the right book! Shalom!

Inappropriate personal attack, do not respond in kind.
Only God is all-knowing so you are claiming to be equal to God. Proverbs 14:9 Fools mock at sin.

@MeganC commented on a recent thread that there are some important reasons to have a "legal" wife in a plural family dynamic. I'd love to hear some discussion on this, flesh it out, and as something additionally helpful, I thought others might have some input on positives and negatives.
After prayer and study and a recent miraculous experience shared by both myself and my 'ishah separately, I have come to the understanding and conclusion that a "legal" "wife" is quite literally a trap for men to submit to and be legally bound through the law of bigamy to the biblically mentioned queen of heaven.

Also a "legal" "wife" does NOT need a certificate, signed or not, this is actually supported by legal precedent.

@AbrahamSolomon gave cogent suggestions that legally protect the women.

Being labelled a "legal" "wife" is a romantic idea and ideal that has standing in the heathen systems that we all live in regardless of the country that we live in, however, it is not supported in scripture.

Learn NOT the way of the heathen...

Back