• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical Marriage and Sexuality Teaching Video

rtidwell

Male
Hello friends! Part of my life-ministry is making teaching videos for YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/richtidwell). I am currently scripting a video production on Biblical Marriage and Sexuality in order to discuss what is approved, what is not, and why.

I have a rough outline for the discussion written below for your review and I'd love to receive feedback on the overall big picture presented. I am painting with broad strokes so please understand this is a rough draft and is not intended to be a comprehensive outline at this point. I am also sensitive to the fact that some are unable to have children; this does not reduce a persons value, in fact one of my favorite families I've ever known has been lead by the Lord to adopt 10 children together after being unable to conceive. Overall, I am simply addressing the intended purpose of marriage and procreation in order to help folks better understand why certain acts are deemed sin in the Scriptures.

Please feel free to share passages in Scripture that you believe will be beneficial to this teaching along with quotes from various theologians whom supported or practiced polygyny. Also does anyone have a compiled list of every polygynous character in the Bible? Thank you all so much!

On Biblical Marriage and Sexuality:

In the beginning, God commanded mankind to procreate in a perfect world before the fall.

Genesis 1:27-28 NIV
"[27] So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. [28] God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Procreation is accomplished within marriage through sex between a male and female (Ruth 4:13). The marriage is designed to be the covenant that binds the two in unity to faithfully raise the children they create (Gen 2:24). Under the Old Covenant, marriage emulates God's marriage to Israel and Judah (Jer 31:31-33). Within the New Covenant, marriage emulates Christ's marriage to the Church (Eph 5:22-33) and each of it's faithful members (Matt 25:1-13, Rom 12:5).

Though pleasure is a wonderful gift within sex (Song 5:1), the primary purpose for the existence of sex is procreation (Mal 2:15). Therefore, for the benefit of mankind, lest we cease to exist, various forms of sex are forbidden (Lev 18:6-23, Lev 20:10-20).

“Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.” - Malachi 2:15

When we do not know God’s will for our sexual lives, we often make sex the false end (pleasure only) rather than the means to the true end (offspring). We idolize sex to the extent we start seeking it rather than the product of it; we start sacrificing children (abortion - Isaiah 57:5), sleeping with same sex (Rom 1:24-27), animals (Lev 20:15-16), minors (Matt 18:6), etc... anything goes when the purpose of sex becomes temporary pleasure rather than the incredible miracle of creating life.

Even within heterosexual monogamous and polygynous marriages, there are rules instituted for the sake of the mother and/or offspring. There are often given to prevent poverty and/or fatherlessness [i.e. marry every virgin you sleep with (Exo 22:16), equally provide for every wife and child (Exo 21:20), no divorce (Mark 10:4-12, 1 Cor 7:10-11), no sex with another man’s wife (because he needs pure offspring - Deut 22:22-26), no child sacrifice (Lev 20:2), no polyandry (because it bottlenecks procreation - Rom 7:2-3), etc...].

Certain sexual acts are named as sin for our benefit, the benefit of our offspring, and the benefit of mankind by preventing extinction. God’s commandments inform us of our purpose (Eph 2:10), and when we walk in obedience we experience the true life and joy he created us for (Deut 5:33, Prov 3:1-2, John 10:10, Psalm 91:14-16, Rom 15:13). It has nothing to do with being oppressive but rather our loving Creator revealing to us what He made us to do and setting us free from deception. Our response to His commands then is faith (trust); trust with sex, marriage, money, provision, and all matters. We are to trust in God and His design laid out in His Word above all other voices and authorities (Prov 3:5-6, Mark 11:22, 2 Peter 1:3-4).

Furthermore, in Heaven where procreation is no longer commanded, marriage and sex ceases (Matthew 22:24-30). Earthly pleasures are replaced by the exceedingly greater pleasure of an eternal perfect union with God (the Source of all love and comforts - Luke 20:34-36, 2 Cor 1:3).

This is why there are repeated commands to refrain from certain sexual acts: we are here for a very short time (James 4:14), marriage & procreation are earthly (Luke 20:34), and God wants us to bear godly offspring for Him while here (Gen 8:17, Mal 2:15); we are to make neighbors for Him and ourselves to love here and eternally. He prohibits acts that cease or bottleneck that from happening (homosexuality, bestiality, polyandry, adultery with married women, child sacrifice, etc...) while permitting acts that accomplish His will (heterosexual marriage; monogamous and polygynous).

In closing, this is why monogamous and polygynous marriage is never prohibited in Scripture; God loves people (John 3:16, 1 John 4:19), and His institution of marriage fills His house with people for Him to love eternally (Luke 14:23, Jeremiah 31:3). We must be vigilant in exposing any teaching that slows or stops God's will from being done in the Earth. Amen.

"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry..." - 1 Timothy 4:1-3

End of Draft - thank you for reading and for your feedback!

Hello friends! Part of my life-ministry is making teaching videos for YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/richtidwell). I am currently scripting a video production on Biblical Marriage and Sexuality in order to discuss what is approved, what is not, and why.

I have a rough outline for the discussion written below for your review and I'd love to receive feedback on the overall big picture presented. I am painting with broad strokes so please understand this is a rough draft and is not intended to be a comprehensive outline at this point. I am also sensitive to the fact that some are unable to have children; this does not reduce a persons value, in fact one of my favorite families I've ever known has been lead by the Lord to adopt 10 children together after being unable to conceive. Overall, I am simply addressing the intended purpose of marriage and procreation in order to help folks better understand why certain acts are deemed sin in the Scriptures.

Please feel free to share passages in Scripture that you believe will be beneficial to this teaching along with quotes from various theologians whom supported or practiced polygyny. Also does anyone have a compiled list of every polygynous character in the Bible? Thank you all so much!

OK I will give my 2¢ please don't take anything personally you asked for feedback. Also please keep in mind that a few months ago I believed almost exactly the same as you describe here...

In the beginning, God commanded mankind to procreate in a perfect world before the fall.

"[27] So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. [28] God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Procreation is accomplished within marriage through sex between a male and female (Ruth 4:13).

I agree here

The marriage is designed to be the covenant that binds the two in unity to faithfully raise the children they create (Gen 2:24). Under the Old Covenant, marriage emulates God's marriage to Israel and Judah (Jer 31:31-33). Within the New Covenant, marriage emulates Christ's marriage to the Church (Eph 5:22-33) and each of it's faithful members (Matt 25:1-13, Rom 12:5).

The entire purpose of human marriage is to be a reflection "image" of the relationship between God and his people. The term "old covenant" does not exist in scripture and the two verses that seem to hint at it has the word covenant inserted into it by the translators for "clarity" Hebrews 8:7 and 13. There is only one ekklesia "church" (better translated as congregation or assembly) throughout all of the scriptures. Acts 7:38 The term "new testament church" also does not exist in scripture. And is an invention of man. The renewed "new covenant" is God's plan to bring the divorced house of Israel back to himself Jeremiah 3, Matthew 15:24, Acts 2:36, Jeremiah 31:31-34, Hebrews 8:10-12

Though pleasure is a wonderful gift within sex (Song 5:1), the primary purpose for the existence of sex is procreation (Mal 2:15). Therefore, for the benefit of mankind, lest we cease to exist, various forms of sex are forbidden (Lev 18:6-23, Lev 20:10-20).

“Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.” - Malachi 2:15

When we do not know God’s will for our sexual lives, we often make sex the false end (pleasure only) rather than the means to the true end (offspring). We idolize sex to the extent we start seeking it rather than the product of it; we start sacrificing children (abortion - Isaiah 57:5), sleeping with same sex (Rom 1:24-27), animals (Lev 20:15-16), minors (Matt 18:6), etc... anything goes when the purpose of sex becomes temporary pleasure rather than the incredible miracle of creating life.

I'm largely in agreement with you here.

Even within heterosexual monogamous and polygynous marriages, there are rules instituted for the sake of the mother and/or offspring. There are often given to prevent poverty and/or fatherlessness [i.e. marry every virgin you sleep with (Exo 22:16), equally provide for every wife and child (Exo 21:20), no divorce (Mark 10:4-12, 1 Cor 7:10-11), no sex with another man’s wife (because he needs pure offspring - Deut 22:22-26), no child sacrifice (Lev 20:2), no polyandry (because it bottlenecks procreation - Rom 7:2-3), etc...].

Again I largely agree here except for one quibble. It should read no divorce with the exception of sexual sin on the part of the woman. Matthew 5:31-32 and Deuteronomy 24:1

Certain sexual acts are named as sin for our benefit, the benefit of our offspring, and the benefit of mankind by preventing extinction. God’s commandments inform us of our purpose (Eph 2:10), and when we walk in obedience we experience the true life and joy he created us for (Deut 5:33, Prov 3:1-2, John 10:10, Psalm 91:14-16, Rom 15:13). It has nothing to do with being oppressive but rather our loving Creator revealing to us what He made us to do and setting us free from deception. Our response to His commands then is faith (trust); trust with sex, marriage, money, provision, and all matters. We are to trust in God and His design laid out in His Word above all other voices and authorities (Prov 3:5-6, Mark 11:22, 2 Peter 1:3-4).

Amen! I agree here!

Furthermore, in Heaven where procreation is no longer commanded, marriage and sex ceases (Matthew 22:24-30). Earthly pleasures are replaced by the exceedingly greater pleasure of an eternal perfect union with God (the Source of all love and comforts - Luke 20:34-36, 2 Cor 1:3).

This is why there are repeated commands to refrain from certain sexual acts: we are here for a very short time (James 4:14), marriage & procreation are earthly (Luke 20:34), and God wants us to bear godly offspring for Him while here (Gen 8:17, Mal 2:15); we are to make neighbors for Him and ourselves to love here and eternally. He prohibits acts that cease or bottleneck that from happening (homosexuality, bestiality, polyandry, adultery with married women, child sacrifice, etc...) while permitting acts that accomplish His will (heterosexual marriage; monogamous and polygynous).

I have a quibble with you on this one. Clearly something changes with regard to marriage in the resurrection. But I'm not sure you can go so far as to say that sex and procreation are no longer practiced. This may be one of those details that we won't understand until it happens...

In closing, this is why monogamous and polygynous marriage is never prohibited in Scripture; God loves people (John 3:16, 1 John 4:19), and His institution of marriage fills His house with people for Him to love eternally (Luke 14:23, Jeremiah 31:3). We must be vigilant in exposing any teaching that slows or stops God's will from being done in the Earth. Amen.

"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry..." - 1 Timothy 4:1-3

Again I agree.

Again I largely agree here except for one quibble. It should read no divorce with the exception of sexual sin on the part of the woman. Matthew 5:31-32 and Deuteronomy 24:1
Sorry, but I have balls. Jesus specifically said that his words were meant for men without balls.
Matthew 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
Matthew 19:12 For there are some born without balls, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some without balls, which were made to be without balls of men: and there be men without balls, which have made themselves men without balls for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
To be a man without balls is not admirable. It is a euphemism for one denied temple entry. To be unable to procreate is never lauded and should not be put forth as a metaphor for good men. It is a metaphor for bad men. Bad men, men without balls, are the ones to whom that verse is given according to Jesus words in the previous verse.
No divorce is the penalty for men guilty of raping an unbetrothed virgin. That woman would still be put to death if caught in adultery so those pushing no divorce except for adultery are claiming that Jesus considered all men rapists! That is the feminist message.
Matthew 5:31,32 can only be taken in context with the law which Jesus followed and taught. If one were to surmise why Jesus stated the simple fact that the one sending the woman away has broken wedlock, this term Tyndale used in his Bible would be an explanation since breaking wedlock does not always entail the sin of a woman being penetrated but the event of separating oneself from the prior spouse. And the man who takes the divorce woman confirms that wedlock has been broken. Stating simple facts does not create a prohibition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew 5:31,32 can only be taken in context with the law which Jesus followed and taught. If one were to surmise why Jesus stated the simple fact that the one sending the woman away has broken wedlock, this term Tyndale used in his Bible would be an explanation since breaking wedlock does not always entail the sin of a woman being penetrated but the event of separating oneself from the prior spouse. And the man who takes the divorce woman confirms that wedlock has been broken. Stating simple facts does not create a prohibition.

All the New Testament was translated from the original Aramaic and to believe that Jesus would give the penalty for raping an unbetrothed virgin to all men, well, is unbelievable.

On Biblical Marriage and Sexuality:

Procreation is accomplished within marriage through sex between a male and female (Ruth 4:13). The marriage is designed to be the covenant that binds the two in unity to faithfully raise the children they create (Gen 2:24). Under the Old Covenant, marriage emulates God's marriage to Israel and Judah (Jer 31:31-33). Within the New Covenant, marriage emulates Christ's marriage to the Church (Eph 5:22-33) and each of it's faithful members (Matt 25:1-13, Rom 12:5).

End of Draft - thank you for reading and for your feedback!
I like it. Well written. Not many pastors out there willing to side on the side of biblical polygamy so that is awesome.

Sorry, but I have balls. Jesus specifically said that his words were meant for men without balls.
Matthew 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
Matthew 19:12 For there are some born without balls, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some without balls, which were made to be without balls of men: and there be men without balls, which have made themselves men without balls for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
To be a man without balls is not admirable. It is a euphemism for one denied temple entry. To be unable to procreate is never lauded and should not be put forth as a metaphor for good men. It is a metaphor for bad men. Bad men, men without balls, are the ones to whom that verse is given according to Jesus words in the previous verse.
No divorce is the penalty for men guilty of raping an unbetrothed virgin. That woman would still be put to death if caught in adultery so those pushing no divorce except for adultery are claiming that Jesus considered all men rapists! That is the feminist message.
All the New Testament was translated from the original Aramaic and to believe that Jesus would give the penalty for raping an unbetrothed virgin to all men, well, is unbelievable.

There are tons of threads discussing the issue of divorce. Let’s not derail this one into that. I only mentioned it because I disagree with the idea that divorce is always prohibited as was implied in the op.

The term "old covenant" does not exist in scripture and the two verses that seem to hint at it has the word covenant inserted into it by the translators for "clarity" Hebrews 8:7 and 13.

I think 2 Corinthians 3:14 would disprove that assertion. Testament is the same word as covenant, diatheke 1242

Also the insertion of the word for clarity is fully supported in the verses preceding each of those instances listed

Such as Heb. 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

And Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant . . . . . Which is the word that Heb 8:13 . . .a new covenant is referring to.

As to it being a “re-newed’’ covenant, if Christ did renew something, it wasn’t the Levitical covenant but the Melchizedek, which predated Creation. Evidence is that Christ became a priest forever after the order (priesthood) of Melchizedek. Existence and participation in such priesthood is strictly anti Torah. Numbers 18:22,23

Run a search on the word kainos 2537 used for new in this passage. I’m not finding anything to support the idea of “renewed”. Rather that you cant use old bottles to put new wine in. IF you try that, both are ruined.

So that we don’t hijack this thread, I’ve copied this post into a new thread which should be up shortly. https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/...ver-mentioned-in-scripture.14715/#post-181888

There are tons of threads discussing the issue of divorce. Let’s not derail this one into that. I only mentioned it because I disagree with the idea that divorce is always prohibited as was implied in the op.
no prob

Thank you for all of your feedback! Just want to clarify; "No divorce" is the rule as God hates it (Mal 2:16), divorce as a result of adultery is the single exception (Matt 5:32, Matt 19:9).

I think 2 Corinthians 3:14 would disprove that assertion. Testament is the same word as covenant, diatheke 1242

Also the insertion of the word for clarity is fully supported in the verses preceding each of those instances listed

Such as Heb. 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

And Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant . . . . . Which is the word that Heb 8:13 . . .a new covenant is referring to.

As to it being a “re-newed’’ covenant, if Christ did renew something, it wasn’t the Levitical covenant but the Melchizedek, which predated Creation. Evidence is that Christ became a priest forever after the order (priesthood) of Melchizedek. Existence and participation in such priesthood is strictly anti Torah. Numbers 18:22,23

Run a search on the word kainos 2537 used for new in this passage. I’m not finding anything to support the idea of “renewed”. Rather that you cant use old bottles to put new wine in. IF you try that, both are ruined.

So that we don’t hijack this thread, I’ve copied this post into a new thread which should be up shortly. https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/...ver-mentioned-in-scripture.14715/#post-181888

Very good! Thank you!

I like it. Well written. Not many pastors out there willing to side on the side of biblical polygamy so that is awesome.

Thank you for the encouragement!

Does anyone have additional content to add? I'd love to hear your favorite passages and/or quotes from theologians on marriage, polygyny, sex, etc... Thank you all!

One of my newest favorite passages is Genesis 35 where God Blesses Jacob and tells him to multiply and replenish. A currently Polygamous man with children by each of 4 wives.

The passage in 2 Chronicles 24 is also good as it lists Jehoiada (the high priest with impeccable reputation) bringing Joash 2 wives, and says that Joash did that which was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest.

Thank you for all of your feedback! Just want to clarify; "No divorce" is the rule as God hates it (Mal 2:16), divorce as a result of adultery is the single exception (Matt 5:32, Matt 19:9).

Divorce is only permitted for the man to divorce his woman if she commits sexual sin. It is gender specific. No provision is given for the woman to divorce for the mans sexual sin. Again not trying to derail your thread but it is actually somewhat fundamental.

Divorce is only permitted for the man to divorce his woman if she commits sexual sin. It is gender specific. No provision is given for the woman to divorce for the mans sexual sin. Again not trying to derail your thread but it is actually somewhat fundamental.

I'm in agreement on this as well; I did not believe the gender clarification needed to be made due to the nature of this particular forum.

In a world (and Church) totally confused on the topics of marriage, sexuality, divorce, etc... agreement with other believers is wonderful isn't it? haha

One of my newest favorite passages is Genesis 35 where God Blesses Jacob and tells him to multiply and replenish. A currently Polygamous man with children by each of 4 wives.

The passage in 2 Chronicles 24 is also good as it lists Jehoiada (the high priest with impeccable reputation) bringing Joash 2 wives, and says that Joash did that which was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest.

Perfect!

I am also sensitive to the fact that some are unable to have children; this does not reduce a persons value, in fact one of my favorite families I've ever known has been lead by the Lord to adopt 10 children together after being unable to conceive. Overall, I am simply addressing the intended purpose of marriage and procreation in order to help folks better understand why certain acts are deemed sin in the Scriptures.
Thanks for your work and the effort that you have made to present this line of thought. I get where you are coming from.

But marriage can not only be for the purpose of procreation, can it? The situation mentioned above is of a couple of child bearing age that are "unable" to have children, but this would not have been understood until after the marriage had been formed. So what about the instruction to care for widows, or the young woman that due to medical issues could not have children and this was known in advance of any possible marriage, would that mean that if a woman was now to old, or unable to bear children she is left to a life without a husband? For that "main purpose" would not be a consideration in such a union. Would that now mean that any marriage to such ones falls short of the standard or even the intent of marriage, or is there more to it?
In the case of Naomi and Ruth, Naomi was the one considered by the relative for levitate marriage as she was past child bearing age but when it became apparent that Ruth was in the picture, then that relative withdrew his claim.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 is also of interest (at least to my mind)
verse 11 says "and see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you have desire for her and would take her for yourself as wife" Was that desire due to the fact that she would have great looking children? Or was it simply that the man wanted her for his own? Then verse 13 makes the point "after that you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife." But the very next verse tells us that if he is not pleased with her then she was free to go where ever she wanted. This was not about procreation, was it?
My concern is that sometimes, even when our motive are good and pure, we need to be careful that we do not go beyond what is written (1Cor 4:6) and insert our understanding of God's "intent". What his will is, is clearly stated in scripture, anything beyond that is simply our understanding. The issue is that if others listen to us rather than the scriptures we could become responsible for their lives being messed up, and that's a big responsibility to carry (Luke 17:2 "It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he be cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones" KJ)

Marriage can not only be for the purpose of procreation, can it? Is it not also for the caring for, and of, another? Are we not told to love our wives as our own flesh just as Christ loved the congregation.
Yes procreation is a key part of the marital union, but its not the primary function of the marital union. Gen 2: 18 makes makes a very good point, "it is not good that the man should be alone;" The same thing can be said of a woman today.
1 Samuel 1:8 "And Elkanah, her husband, said to her, "Hanna, why do you weep? And why do you not eat? And why is your heart sad? Am I not more to you than ten sons?" The heart and the love between a man and his wife is also a key factor. Sex can be for procreation but it can also be the most beautiful expression of love for your spouse. Prov 5:15 -18"Drink water from your own cistern, ........ Let your fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of your youth," Yes children are indeed a blessing but sow is a good and faithful wife.
But like I said, Thanks for your work and the effort that you have made to present this line of thought. I get where you are coming from.

"No divorce" is the rule as God hates it (Mal 2:16)

If you hate [her], Shalach (send [her] away), says the Lord God of Israel. For injustice shall cover his garment, said the Lord of Hosts, but you shall beware of your spirit, and do not deal treacherously.

This is the translation straight from the Hebrew. This is not God saying He hates divorce, nor is it Him saying He's ok with it either. This is a putting away not a writ of divorce situation.
This is man putting away his wife and God is making sure the man knows he's breaking covenant, telling him you'll know your doing wrong do not be unjust in the way he deals with his wife.

Back