• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical "Patriarchy"

I thought that most of the women on here were like that?

Re: Biblical "Patriarchy" - A Dose Of Reality

Hes_The_Man.jpg

LOL
sometimes I think that's what a lot of people think of when they think of man's headship.
um, I'll dress myself, TY

Memphis Dwight said:
I really don't know of any man that forces his wife into submission. In fact, I don't know of many families where the wife is even voluntarily subjective.
Obedience is such a foreign thing to many that it is portrayed as unnatural.

Here are two books that should be given to husbands and wives. Although they are not poly, they do make a solid attempt to base everything solidly on Scripture as opposed to pop-christian-pysch:

The Excellent WIfe
The Exemplary Husband

There is also another one for husband too, but I cannot remember the name right now.

DaPastor said:
The Excellent WIfe
The Exemplary Husband

There is also another one for husband too, but I cannot remember the name right now.

Are you thinking of "Family Man, Family Leader" by Philip Lancaster?

Other great books on submission for wives are
"The Surrendered Wife" by Laura Doyle
"What! Me, obey him?" by Elizabeth Rice Handford
"Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge is also really great in as far as it discusses the embrace of traditional gender roles as does the first volume by John Eldredge, aimed at men, called "Wild at Heart"

Melanie said:
DaPastor said:
The Excellent WIfe
The Exemplary Husband

Are you thinking of "Family Man, Family Leader" by Philip Lancaster?

Other great books on submission for wives are
"The Surrendered Wife" by Laura Doyle
"What! Me, obey him?" by Elizabeth Rice Handford
"Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge is also really great in as far as it discusses the embrace of traditional gender roles as does the first volume by John Eldredge, aimed at men, called "Wild at Heart"

I have not read "Family Man, Family Leader". I am familiar with "The Surrendered Wife", "What! Me, Obey Him?", "Captivating", and "Wild at Heart". Speaking of John Eldredge. Lissa and I had a chance to see him in Dallas.

The book our dear Pastor is trying to think of is called "The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding by Lou Priolo. I bought it for him before he left on his training. I hope he read it. ;)

Sweet Lissa

sweetlissa said:
The book our dear Pastor is trying to think of is called "The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding by Lou Priolo. I bought it for him before he left on his training. I hope he read it. ;)

Sweet Lissa

Too funny! Yes, that is the book. Hmmmmm!

Nathan7 said:
In our culture, and many modern church circles, the word "patriarchal" is almost as bad as "polygamy". It's certainly possible to consider yourself patriarchal, without accepting polygamy. It's even possible to believe in plural marriage without accepting "patriarchy"

I am not sure what I think of the notion of Biblical Patriarchy. I never heard the term before I started hanging around Christian poly circles.

When I suddenly found myself in a poly arrangement, there was no one to mentor me. I didn’t even have the benefit of behind the school building conversations to lead me, and I certainly couldn’t go to the church for guidance.

So my family has settled in with me playing the role of final decider when the decision has to be made with murky data. More often I rule by consensus, if you can call that ruling. My wives are fully adult and they don’t need a father figure sternly keeping them inline.

At the close of Shabbat, after the havdolah ceremony, I put the bills and bank statements on the table as well as any other items that we need to get on the same page with. Over desert and coffee, we go over the budget, carefully refraining from accusations, and see how we can best economize. We discuss future projects/hopes/etc.

I am, however, the protector of the family, and any decisions regarding the safety and security of my family are exclusively mine alone.

And I am priest of my family. Holy observances and blessings are my responsibility though I would be a complete moron to not allow my wives to insert prayers and take some part in our family observances.

If I am going to take total control over any aspect of my family’s daily life, my performance level has to approach 100%, or I had best not put my hand to it.

Lately I have become bothered by our isolation, both from the fellowship, and just generally getting out into the community. I have printed out a list of places we will visit and or recreate in, and at least twice a month well will go out as a family and do family things. I put my hand to it, so now I have to perform it. Still, I didn’t do that autocratically, but first voiced my concern, then some beginning steps that we could take to resolve my concern. I had to be open for suggestions, and was flatly told by one wife that she didn’t do caves, but would be happy to watch the dogs while the rest of us visited them.

If all this makes me patriarchal, I guess that is good. And if it doesn’t, I can’t see us changing much toward one.

rusty_armor said:
Nathan7 said:
In our culture, and many modern church circles, the word "patriarchal" is almost as bad as "polygamy". It's certainly possible to consider yourself patriarchal, without accepting polygamy. It's even possible to believe in plural marriage without accepting "patriarchy"

I am not sure what I think of the notion of Biblical Patriarchy. I never heard the term before I started hanging around Christian poly circles.

When I suddenly found myself in a poly arrangement, there was no one to mentor me. I didn’t even have the benefit of behind the school building conversations to lead me, and I certainly couldn’t go to the church for guidance.

So my family has settled in with me playing the role of final decider when the decision has to be made with murky data. More often I rule by consensus, if you can call that ruling. My wives are fully adult and they don’t need a father figure sternly keeping them inline.

At the close of Shabbat, after the havdolah ceremony, I put the bills and bank statements on the table as well as any other items that we need to get on the same page with. Over desert and coffee, we go over the budget, carefully refraining from accusations, and see how we can best economize. We discuss future projects/hopes/etc.

I am, however, the protector of the family, and any decisions regarding the safety and security of my family are exclusively mine alone.

And I am priest of my family. Holy observances and blessings are my responsibility though I would be a complete moron to not allow my wives to insert prayers and take some part in our family observances.

If I am going to take total control over any aspect of my family’s daily life, my performance level has to approach 100%, or I had best not put my hand to it.

Lately I have become bothered by our isolation, both from the fellowship, and just generally getting out into the community. I have printed out a list of places we will visit and or recreate in, and at least twice a month well will go out as a family and do family things. I put my hand to it, so now I have to perform it. Still, I didn’t do that autocratically, but first voiced my concern, then some beginning steps that we could take to resolve my concern. I had to be open for suggestions, and was flatly told by one wife that she didn’t do caves, but would be happy to watch the dogs while the rest of us visited them.

If all this makes me patriarchal, I guess that is good. And if it doesn’t, I can’t see us changing much toward one.

Hello,

Scripturally speaking, the man is the head of the house, as Christ is the head of the church. This is God's Thocratic design - God - Christ - Husband - WIfe/Wives - children. This does not mean being a dictator, yet, it does mean assuming 100% authority and responsibility for His home before God. Since Jesus is our example of a the perfect husband, we are use Him as our example. As head of the Church, he commands, directs, loves, forgives and serves. However, all His decisions were/are for the benefit of His bride - this is servant leadership. The key to Patriarchal leadership is to make all decisions for the benefits of the entire family, not ourselves!

Yeah Rusty, isolation is a huge danger. It probably merits a topic of its own actually, if I have time today I'll start it.

I'll agree with you there, Jair. Isolation has it's drawbacks. Yet I'm not too sure that returning to the "big city" is such a great idea either. I'm wondering if it is even possible to attain to a healthy balance anymore. :::sigh::: Decisions, decisions. As for the word "PATRIARCH" I should think that it has noble origins:

patriarch

c.1175, from O.Fr. patriarche "one of the Old Testament fathers" (11c.), from L.L. patriarcha (Tertullian), from Gk. patriarches "chief or head of a family," from patria "family, clan," from pater "father" + archein "to rule." Also used as an honorific title of certain bishops in the early Church, notably those of Antioch, Alexandria, and Rome.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

Those are very noble origins. That by itself makes me think better of the term.

People in the big city are often more isolated than people in the country. You just need some good Christian friends to be around, or God willing a church that takes scripture seriously.

as a woman, let me preface this by saying that in my past i have been called such things as a "feminazi". i was WAY feminist! but over the last few years, particularly after my divorce from my first husband, the Lord has shown me the error of my ways, and i find nothing in this description as objectionable, and i feel sorry for women who don't see the beauty and peace in the way God has planned things.

1. I agree and disagree. A church is an assembly of Christians, and every Christian needs that. Men especially need other Christian men to keep them in check. Of course you're right that you shouldn't go somewhere that looks down on you or your family though.

2. Women in combat roles is new, but I don't really have a view on it. Women in military isn't new, they have long served important supporting roles nursing and cooking ect... Women in civil government is very old, Bible old, and there wasn't any difference in their jobs there. I don't remember her name offhand but there was a female ruler-judge of Israel in the judicial era. Its hard to argue with that.

3. Our family policy is that the women choose how many children they want to have. I think if a girlfriend wanted no kids and could have them we would question that, but after that I don't mind deferring to what they want. We're actually at a juncture right now where Anndrea wants to have this be her last one if she has another C section, thought she wants one more if it comes naturally (its very different on the body, esp the womb)

4. Our kids are also lined up to go to a private Christian school, though if we did not have that we would homeschool.

Deborah was her name, I'll tell the story as I see it

She told Barak to load the chariots & whatnot & go whip up on some folks in war

He said he wouldnt do it without her

She said fine, but the honor will not be yours, the Lord will hand Sisera over to a woman.

I see she made a point of saying that, as it is an uncommon thing.

God could raise up a rock to praise Him, he will use a willing woman over an unwilling man.

In "my opinion", thats why there are so many women preachers, evangelists ect these days, men wont do what God says to do. I see a certain amount of feminism in Deborah as I read that story, & I am not a woman basher by any means, I just understand he made us different.

it's no different than child rearing. Sometimes a mother may run off & abandon her family, God can raise the man up to raise those children with the love of a mother.

ok, im just rambling, love to all!!

jwh

yup

Thanks to those who listed books on biblical patriarchy. This principle makes absolute sense, what little bit I have learned of it. And I plan to start reading some of these. As I mentioned in my introduction, I've never been taught this at any church I have been at. And seeing the disharmony in my own home, I have longed for teaching in this regard. I am hopeful that my wife may read some of these books as well, if it comes at the principle from an approach that she can accept. Also thanks, freebird, for the mention of the book "The Shack." My wife just finished reading this, so seeing this mentioned gave me an opportunity to ask her about the book. I don't like the idea of God being portrayed as a woman, either.

I loved the book, but I have to say that the characters that represented The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit made me think an awful lot of the three angels on the show "Touched by an angel."

SweetLissa

Back