• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Birth control

Evo

Female
Hi Everyone.
I just gave birth and now time to think about birth control.

My question: Is birth control Godly❓
Is it okay as a Christian to use contraception?

There are many different opinions on this. Preventing pregnancy, especially for a short period, is really up to you and your husband. I think in an ideal world with an ideal life we wouldn't prevent pregnancy at all and would have children as often as God gave them to us, but life is not always as easy as that.
There are many verses in the bible to show that children are important, to multiply and fill the earth etc. But it really come down to what your husband feels is right for your family.

There are many different types of birth control. I would stay away from the hormonal ones like 'the pill' and anything that is implanted in you. This is because they don't always prevent pregnancy, but can cause an abortion. And that is something God really does have something to say about!

Are you breastfeeding? With most women this should give you some time before being able to be pregnant again, it's a natural contraception. But for some women (like me, lol) that isn't the case.

There are many different opinions on this. Preventing pregnancy, especially for a short period, is really up to you and your husband. I think in an ideal world with an ideal life we wouldn't prevent pregnancy at all and would have children as often as God gave them to us, but life is not always as easy as that.
There are many verses in the bible to show that children are important, to multiply and fill the earth etc. But it really come down to what your husband feels is right for your family.

There are many different types of birth control. I would stay away from the hormonal ones like 'the pill' and anything that is implanted in you. This is because they don't always prevent pregnancy, but can cause an abortion. And that is something God really does have something to say about!

Are you breastfeeding? With most women this should give you some time before being able to be pregnant again, it's a natural contraception. But for some women (like me, lol) that isn't the case.
I am breastfeeding but I already got my periods😅.

I don't want anything hormonal or to be implanted. But should I do then?

There's barrier methods like male and female condoms, diaphragm etc.
The other option is natural family planning. This is where you keep a note of your cycle and what's going on day to day so you know when you'll be ovulating and can either avoid sex at those times or use barrier methods. This is not a foolproof contraception for all women. For some women it works incredibly well, especially if you know your body well. For other women their cycle can be so unpredictable that it doesn't work well. I would suggest looking up the Billings Ovulation method. It's also worth taking your temperature every morning as that can give you a good indication of what your baseline is and then when your body is changing to start to ovulate.

Those are really your only options outside of hormonal control, aside from not having sex or having tubes tied.

I found myself having to think about that just a couple months after our first was born. I was told nursing would naturally space the babies, but I got my period again when he was young, and assumed that meant pregnancy was again likely. With later babies I sometimes got more like 9 months before my monthlies returned.

What I did, because I couldn't fathom trying to prevent babies, was pray and I told God I would appreciate at least nine months not pregnant between babies. Ironically when I had the first miscarriage the baby was due 18 months to the day after the previous child.
The closest I ever carried successfully the babies were 19 months apart.

We have 9 living children, and have lost that many. I suspect that for much of my married life my cycles were not fertile. Anovulatory cycles are a real possibility, and would explain why with zero birth control or prevention I have not started a pregnancy again in over two years of regular cycles and lots of time with my man. *shrugs*
There was a short time after we lost a set of triplets that my husband chose to limit our chances of conceiving. He felt we needed time to heal after that loss, and because of the drug used to induce labor wanted to postpone another pregnancy.
I really believe that the choice to trust God and welcome the possibility was the best for us. As I get closer to 50 I am so thankful for every one of our children I just wouldn't change a thing. Maybe we'll even shock the neighbors that thought we were done before the last one.....and have another!!
One can hope! ;)

For some women it works incredibly well, especially if you know your body well. For other women their cycle can be so unpredictable that it doesn't work well.
One of my sisters had two children that were not planned before they figured out she sometimes had a later ovulation time.

Gotta watch that!

Well.. Mine and my husbands view changed on this about 2 and a half years ago. We had been looking in the Bible and realized that children were only blessings from the Lord, never burdens. We realized that women in the Bible considered it a bad thing if they couldn't bear or stopped bearing children. We also realized that if God gave us the children then He would give us the means to provide for them and take care of them. I think that one way of making it possible to take care of the children can be providing another wife to help. (Let me tell you my sister/sisterwife has been a lifesaver with my most recent one). We decided to trust God and I went off birth control and we've decided to never go back. We believe that God opens and closes the womb and we would rather let Him regulate that then try to regulate it ourselves. We are very fertile people and so I had an iud in, the non-hormonal kind. It worked fine, did its job but I look back on that now and think about all the blessings that we may have missed because we thought we knew how to regulate our life better than God did. With that said..whatever your husband feels is best right now is the way you should go. But I have a 1 year old baby boy because we decided to let God choose for us and another baby on the way and I consider that 2 great blessings that we wouldnt have if we had done it our way. Also I breastfed this last baby a full year and then switched straight over to cow milk. The doctors actually say that if you dont use birth control its best to let your body recover for a full year b4 conceiving again..i think thats hilarious cuz that's about the amount of time a baby usually needs b4 they can switch over to normal milk..almost like God knew what he was doing.. I have always gotten my periods around the 1 month to 1 and a half month mark after delivering but I do not get pregnant until after I stop breastfeeding. Lol right after I stop tho all bets are off haha
In my opinion, God is the best baby planner.

Well.. Mine and my husbands view changed on this about 2 and a half years ago. We had been looking in the Bible and realized that children were only blessings from the Lord, never burdens. We realized that women in the Bible considered it a bad thing if they couldn't bear or stopped bearing children. We also realized that if God gave us the children then He would give us the means to provide for them and take care of them. I think that one way of making it possible to take care of the children can be providing another wife to help. (Let me tell you my sister/sisterwife has been a lifesaver with my most recent one). We decided to trust God and I went off birth control and we've decided to never go back. We believe that God opens and closes the womb and we would rather let Him regulate that then try to regulate it ourselves. We are very fertile people and so I had an iud in, the non-hormonal kind. It worked fine, did its job but I look back on that now and think about all the blessings that we may have missed because we thought we knew how to regulate our life better than God did. With that said..whatever your husband feels is best right now is the way you should go. But I have a 1 year old baby boy because we decided to let God choose for us and another baby on the way and I consider that 2 great blessings that we wouldnt have if we had done it our way. Also I breastfed this last baby a full year and then switched straight over to cow milk. The doctors actually say that if you dont use birth control its best to let your body recover for a full year b4 conceiving again..i think thats hilarious cuz that's about the amount of time a baby usually needs b4 they can switch over to normal milk..almost like God knew what he was doing.. I have always gotten my periods around the 1 month to 1 and a half month mark after delivering but I do not get pregnant until after I stop breastfeeding. Lol right after I stop tho all bets are off haha
In my opinion, God is the best baby planner.
Ditto what my sister said lol.

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences.

Do you think pull out method is bad? A sin?
Gen 38:9.

I think he was punished more because he didn't provide the seed and spilt it on the ground. 🤷 🤔 I am really not sure, if it qualifies.

As one of the other sisters said YaHWeH opens and closes the womb, pray and seek His will.

Last edited:
Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences.

Do you think pull out method is bad? A sin?
I don't think it's bad or a sin, but it's not reliable as a form of birth control.
This verse is often used to show that pull out method is a sin, but that was not the sin. The sin was that he did not produce an heir for his brother, that was the law he was supposed to be following.

Evo we went back and forth with many different types of birth control ideas. In the end it was simply more relaxing and easier to leave it up to God and have as many children as He gives us. How do you and your husband feel about that?

I've searched for verses many times that condemn the use of birth control. I haven't found any yet but I may be incorrect. I looked into it because one of the Pentecostal churches I was attending years ago, forbid the female members to use birth control.

My personal opinion and take it with a grain of salt. Yes children are a blessing but being financially, physically and mentally prepared to have children or more children is equally as important. We can't pretend everything is ok just because children are wonderful. If you need time between pregnancies, then take it.

My advice would be to avoid the implanted birth controls. I've had friends that have had serious complications with it. Also avoid the shots, they can last up to 6 months. When it comes to a pill you can stop taking it whenever you want. I take birth control pills for terrible Endometriosis, I had to try different brands to find the one that doesn't give me many side effects. When my doctor started suggesting birth control, I looked into different ones online and researched as much as I could. I had a list prepared of the ones I wanted to try. It's not a guarantee but there's no harm in being prepared.

Back