• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Book recommendations?

kimberlymars9

Real Person
Female
I have been feeling like I am not being a great wife lately and I feel like my husband and I are drifting apart. I was hoping someone could recommend some books to help me to become the wife he wants or needs.......or something that is uplifting and helpful in being a better person. I have read "Preparing and Helping to be his Helpmeet" but was hoping someone might know of something else.

Also I am starting to read the Bible and was hoping someone could recommend the best place to start reading it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

<3

Hello Kimberly, I would recommend a book I read and I think it is called "how to be a submissive wife" or something on that lines. I found the name of the book when I was searching on amazon for how to become his helpmeet. Books are good to read but there are other ways to find out what your husband needs from you. Talk to him and let him know you want to be the best wife you can be and what are some things he feels you can do. Pm me if you want to chat
Love in God always
Tiffany

kimberlymars9 said:
Also I am starting to read the Bible and was hoping someone could recommend the best place to start reading it?
Start with the gospels and go from there. Personally I also love reading through Genesis and Revelation. There's something about the start and end of God's world that I find exciting.

wife31800 said:
Hello Kimberly, I would recommend a book I read and I think it is called "how to be a submissive wife"
Interesting thing here, I was looking at books online a couple of weeks ago and saw one called "Diary of a Submissive." Suffice to say it was NOT what I thought it was and the word wife was not accidentally left out like I thought! I don't recommend it :shock:

The book is actually called "The Surrendered Wife" I went and looked it up. Sorry for the wrong name. I am out of town and the book is at home. Now I missed the part about the bible. Ester is a good book to start and for me I would read provbers 31 over and over an over. I really like Provbers 31.

Thanks Ladies.....

I try to talk to my husband about what I could do, or how I feel and he usually responds with I am a great wife and I do a lot for the family. He never really talks about why I feel that way and he is the world's worse for telling me how he feels. I try to get it out of him but it's HARD.

I think a lot of this is because we are about to have our 2nd child and our first is 13 months. I think a lot of my feeling like I am letting him down is coming from that and my emotions...and a lot because my husband is not the most open about his feelings, actually he doesn't ever open up about them at all.

Thanks again

Kim,

I recommend starting with the gospel of John. Maybe from there go to Romans. Then finish the rest of the gospels. Song of Songs is a great thing for you if you're looking for scripture on marriage.

A couple of great books I really like are called Disciplines of a Godly Woman, Created to be His Helpmeet, and Love and Respect. I highly recommend reading Love and Respect first and working through that before trying to work through the others.

Kimmy,

This may not seem like much of a comfort, but my husband says that most guys just don't talk much, and there was a time when he was like that, too. I do think that being "great with child" can be a part of why you are feeling the way you are, but I have seen the way your man looks at you, and talks about you, and there is no doubt that he loves you very much.

I read "The Surrendered Wife" years ago,(when our marriage went through its bug-on-the-windshield tough time,) and liked it very much. It is written from a practical, rather than scriptural perspective, but when Steve read it, he said, "YESSS! This is EXACTLY what I have been trying to say."

I would also recommend that you visit or revisit "The Five Love Languages." Sometimes the "we're drifting" feeling can come from either not acknowledging his primary love language, your own, or both.

Sometimes I take the direct approach, and try to lace it with humor, and will call him and say something like, "Hello, darling, are you at all interested in helping to diminish some female insecurity? If not now, may I make an appointment?" That way, if he is in the middle of dealing with the Dept of Transportation he can say so, and have some time to pray for wisdom, because God knows after 18 years, he still needs it!

Lastly, try and do your best to shift into what I call "Kingdom mentality" re: your relationship. This is tough, when you feel like you are just a beached whale of needs on steroids, but if you can get quiet before your Father and say, "OK, what do YOU need this to be like on my part, just for today?" He'll help you.

Kimmy, you are dear to us, and please feel free to call. As a woman in our church in Seattle used to say, "It's goan be awright, 'dem crookid places goan beee mayd strayyyyyt!" : )

I was in a similar situation when I married my husband. We had a really rough start and I realize now that most of our problems were due to the fact that I did not know how to submit to my husband. I did not have very good adult female role models growing up. So when I married my husband I knew he expected me to submit to him, but it was a major hurtle for me. There is one specific bible verse that helped me learn and to be open to submitting to my husband.

Proverbs 31:10 "Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies."

This bible verse had caused me to want to be of a higher value of rubies to my husband. I wanted him to tell G-D the Father that "Thank you for my virtuous woman." So most mornings I wake up and I ask G-D to help me to achieve being a virtuous woman in the eyes of my husband. And the more and more that I began to pray that prayer my marriage started to get easier and easier as I learned to submit and trust my husband more and more. And along the lines of the virtuous woman there is only one woman in the bible that G-D refers to as the virtuous woman and that is Ruth. I encourage you to read the book of Ruth.

Also I encourage you to read about Sarah in the bible. I think she has a wonderful example to all woman of how a woman should submit and love her husband.

Back