• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat "By faith, Abraham," and the Life of THE 'Patriarch,' to...Uh Oh!

at least it will either lead to a proof or denial of said conjecture.
Will it?
The lack of proof for their defense will leave the question in some people’s minds. People who never would have never had that thought in the past.
How is this not a form of cancel culture by innuendo?

I agree that we should never worship the creation; we should only, ever worship the Creator, and I'm not seeking to discredit our patriarchs (they all had their fair share of wrongdoing, but I'm not trying to make the Bible say something that isn't true). But indeed what I am trying to do is find out how our patriarchs actually viewed God. For us today, it's very easy, given Jesus' accounts of God. But imagine coming out of, say the Chaldean culture in Abraham's case, where you grew up with a certain group think, and you acted in certain ways and recognized certain things and so on, and now, you worship the one true God. Surely one's human experience gives an insight into what one thinks resembles God.
You'll probably be interested in this thread.

While other peoples may have worshipped the created things rather than the Creator, that does not mean that the Hebrews did. Actually, we do have accounts of times when they did do that, and were punished for it. Jer 3:9 comes to mind.
NVIII makes the vital key point, particularly when it comes to the patriarchs.

It is really simple: Is the Bible Truth? Pre-eminent, superior to any other 'writings' or commentaries.

If so, it follows:

Abraham would NOT have been The Father of our Faith if he did not PROVE (Scripture is clear!) that He was faithful to YHVH, and Him alone.

If he was an 'idolator' or ANY kind - then he simply was not worthy of the name AbraHam.

There WERE times, documented at length, when both the northern and southern kingdoms fell into exactly the kind of idolatry at issue here, and WERE punished for it, and are still in exile. (See Jeremiah 3, Ezekiel 23, as any student here should know.)

But those who are His do not worship idols. Period.

The Hebrew patriarchs desired large flocks as well as numerous descendants, and hence the symbolical pillar was peculiarly fitted for their religious rites. It is related even of Abraham, the traditional founder of the Hebrew people, that he "planted a grove (eshel) 59 in Beersheba, and called there on the name of Jehovah, the everlasting Elohim." 60 From the phallic character of the "grove" (ashera,) said to have been in the House of Jehovah, and from the evident connection between the two words, we must suppose that the eshel of Abraham also had a phallic reference. 61 Most probably the so-called "grove " of the earlier patriarch, though it may have been of wood, and the stone "bethel" of Jacob, had the same form, and were simply the betylus, 62 the primitive symbol of deity among all Semitic and many Hamitic peoples.
This is wild conjecture and nothing else. If an orchard reminds you of a penis then you’ve obviously never seen a penis, or you’ve seen way too many of them!

Will it?
The lack of proof for their defense will leave the question in some people’s minds. People who never would have never had that thought in the past.
How is this not a form of cancel culture by innuendo?
Now you've lost me with cancel culture

NVIII makes the vital key point, particularly when it comes to the patriarchs.

It is really simple: Is the Bible Truth? Pre-eminent, superior to any other 'writings' or commentaries.

If so, it follows:

Abraham would NOT have been The Father of our Faith if he did not PROVE (Scripture is clear!) that He was faithful to YHVH, and Him alone.

If he was an 'idolator' or ANY kind - then he simply was not worthy of the name AbraHam.

There WERE times, documented at length, when both the northern and southern kingdoms fell into exactly the kind of idolatry at issue here, and WERE punished for it, and are still in exile. (See Jeremiah 3, Ezekiel 23, as any student here should know.)

But those who are His do not worship idols. Period.
I didn't say Abraham was worshipping idols. In fact, Abraham destroyed his father's idols in the workshop. What I was saying, or asking, was that did some of these ancients not use certain phallic symbols to represent God, seeing that said symbol was used by many cultures to illustrate the idea of the Creator. It is, after all, seen as the item of man that creates. Let me use another example to try and illustrate what I mean: today, the Coptic church uses the Ankh as one of its cross symbols. But, to the ancient Egyptians, it was the symbol of life and fertility. The shape of the ankh, with its three lower limbs and circular top stood for the reproductive parts of man and woman. But, we don't say the Coptic church worships the ankh, but they use that symbol to call to mind the cross Jesus was sacrificed on. We may call this the appropriation of the symbol. Now, could our ancients have not done similar things with other symbols from cultures around them? There are those here saying that I'm being wildly accusative but I'm not trying to be wild, nor accusative. I'm just not afraid to ask questions that the timid might otherwise be reluctant to.

But on the note of Saul, and by extension, Moses, I would like to ask that, if phallism is irrelevant, then why, in Saul's case, did he demand 100 foreskins from David (from the Philistines) as a bridal price for one of his daughters, and, in Moses' case, why was circumcision the mark of the covenant between Moses and God, which, if not carried out, risked a blood sacrifice? What other reason was there for the act of circumcision that it carried such a penalty? It definitely wasn't hygiene
Is not cutting off a piece of it the exact opposite of phallus worship? If cutting off parts of it makes you more holy, then it must be less holy.

While someone indulging in phallus worship would more likely do the exact opposite. Maybe wear a codpiece like this:

Back