• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Can anyone comment about the Canada mormon polygmaist Blackmore and his case?

MichaelZ

Male
I don’t know if I post on the right category.

Can anyone comment about the Canada mormon polygmaist Blackmore and his case? He was found guilty on this July. Is it still safe in Canada to practice polygyny in Canada according to this case?

BTW, I wonder what’s the difference between the mormon polygyny teaching and the true biblical polygyny? I believe there are big difference but I couldn’t find any material about this.

It was never safe for you to practice polygyny in Canada. That has not changed.

Biblical polygamy is simply marriage without the baggage of monogamous expectations, and with some guidance like "take care of your woman" and "don't steal a woman from another man". Still, getting the expectations out of one's head is a lifelong project.

Mormon polygamy is about showing devotion to Brigham Young so you'll get to heaven (although, given the brainwashing, they'd never say it that way). Since it has nothing to do with regular polygyny (which most of the human race just calls "marriage" anyway) there's not much to talk about.

Mormon polygamy has more to do with their theology and celestial things.

Biblical polygyny is just part of be fruitful and multiply. Nobody is commanded to do it, but we aren't prevented from it either...just like regular marriage.

their theology and celestial things
I'd put the word "celestial" in quotes, since you're referring to a meaning they've assigned for internal use and not the generally accepted meaning ("positioned in or relating to the sky, or outer space as observed in astronomy," according to macOS's dictionary app).

I'd put the word "celestial" in quotes, since you're referring to a meaning they've assigned for internal use and not the generally accepted meaning ("positioned in or relating to the sky, or outer space as observed in astronomy," according to macOS's dictionary app).
Nice suggestion. Will do.

[H]owever Mormons and Christians may differ in our understanding of the nature of marriage, the State looks at us and just sees "religious polygamy" and will treat us identically.
Wisdom.

Back