• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Can women pray or prophesy in the Assembly?

And just to save time, I know the Timothy passage is about teaching and not praying and prophesying, although I think technically prophesying could be included in teaching.

It supports the Corinthians passage by showing that the concept of women being barred from speaking in the assembly has a corollary in scripture. A woman with a gift of teaching can’t use it in the assembly. So it shouldn’t be weird that a woman with the gift of prophecy couldn’t use it in the assembly either.

It’s a supporting passage, not the exact same passage.

And just to save time, I know the Timothy passage is about teaching and not praying and prophesying, although I think technically prophesying could be included in teaching.

It supports the Corinthians passage by showing that the concept of women being barred from speaking in the assembly has a corollary in scripture. A woman with a gift of teaching can’t use it in the assembly. So it shouldn’t be weird that a woman with the gift of prophecy couldn’t use it in the assembly either.

It’s a supporting passage, not the exact same passage.
I agree that a woman cant teach men, that is inside and outside of the assembly. That's a non issue. The context of 1st Timothy 2 does not bar a woman from speaking.

If you are applying 1st Timothy 2 as a supporting verse then it would say that a woman cannot exercise authority over a man but must learn in all quietness (tranquility). That does not stop a woman from speaking. Therefore if its a supporting verse it now supports that a woman can speak in the assembly as long as she is tranquil and not exercising authority over a man.

Now man up and admit that you can’t deal with 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. Or man up and deny that Paul is scripture. It’s one of the two. Either women can’t speak in the assembly or Paul isn’t scripture. This wishy washy evasion is unbecoming.
That's quite the assertion. So what you are saying is that if we see a woman speak in the assembly then Paul isn't scripture? What if the scripture has an example of a woman who spoke in the assembly? Does Paul all of a sudden become not scripture?

I have no issue dealing with 1st Corinthians 14. I want to establish a clear understanding of your supporting verse first.

I have no issue dealing with 1st Corinthians 14. I want to establish a clear understanding of your supporting verse first.
Then let’s do it already! Holy cow man. I’m old. I don’t have that much time left. What are you waiting for?

Why understand the supporting verse first? It’s not that important to the concept. I think it reinforces the idea but it’s illogical to try and debate the secondary verse before the primary. You know this. Everyone reading this knows this. You’re desperate to not deal with 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 because you know it’s ironclad and you’re going to have to admit you’re wrong or demonstrate that you care about your dogma more than truth.

Let’s get to the main even! I want to see you squirm and twist and dangle in the breeze until I get bored and take this victory back to the other thread and make some more hay.

Then let’s do it already! Holy cow man. I’m old. I don’t have that much time left. What are you waiting for?

Why understand the supporting verse first? It’s not that important to the concept. I think it reinforces the idea but it’s illogical to try and debate the secondary verse before the primary. You know this. Everyone reading this knows this. You’re desperate to not deal with 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 because you know it’s ironclad and you’re going to have to admit you’re wrong or demonstrate that you care about your dogma more than truth.

Let’s get to the main even! I want to see you squirm and twist and dangle in the breeze until I get bored and take this victory back to the other thread and make some more hay.
Hey having two wives keeps me busy. I am glad to move forward.

What is the assembly. I believe it to be the body of Christ. That being said I also see it as a plurality. 1 person cannot assemble. Two people can assemble. I also don't see one family as qualifying as the assembly. The man as the head represents his family. When two or more men and their families get together I see that as the assembly. If I have a man over for Shabbat I see that as the assembly. Colossians shows us that Christ is the head of His body, the assembly so the assembly is His body. Philemon shows us that people assembled in homes. History also tells us that many assembled in small home fellowships.

Can a woman speak in an assembly?

These are the verses in question.

34¶Your women in the assemblies let them be silent, for it hath not been permitted to them to speak, but to be subject, as also the law saith;

35 if they wish to learn anything, at home their own husbands let them question, for it is a shame to women to speak in an assembly.

What is Paul teaching here? Is he teaching that a woman should not utter a sound in the Assembly or that she should be subject in the Assembly?

for it hath not been permitted to them to speak, but to be subject, as also the law saith;

Paul here contrasts the women speaking with being subject. The contrast exists because he is addressing women wanting to exercise authority or even going to some other authority to receive their teaching. This should not be so. If the woman has a question she should ask her husband at home. Timothy echoes this same concept. A woman does not exercise authority over a man. We find this same concept in practically all of Paul's letters to the assemblies. The concept we don't find is a woman not being allowed to speak in the Assembly. This concept also seems to be missing from the Torah as well. Why does Paul say this is as the law says though? Because he is addressing authority structure not the ability of a woman to utter a word in the Assembly. He is calling for an orderly Assembly. The law does not teach us anywhere that a woman cannot speak in the assembly, it does however teach us by example the authority structure that God put in place. A woman is to be subject, as the Law says.

Do we have any examples of a woman speaking in an assembly? Yes.

Acts 5

1¶And a certain man, Ananias by name, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2and did keep back of the price -- his wife also knowing -- and having brought a certain part, at the feet of the apostles he laid it.
3And Peter said, 'Ananias, wherefore did the Adversary fill thy heart, for thee to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back of the price of the place?
4while it remained, did it not remain thine? and having been sold, in thy authority was it not? why is it that thou didst put in thy heart this thing? thou didst not lie to men, but to God;'
5¶and Ananias hearing these words, having fallen down, did expire, and great fear came upon all who heard these things,
6and having risen, the younger men wound him up, and having carried forth, they buried him.
7¶And it came to pass, about three hours after, that his wife, not knowing what hath happened, came in,
8and Peter answered her, 'Tell me if for so much ye sold the place;' and she said, 'Yes, for so much.'
9¶And Peter said unto her, 'How was it agreed by you, to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? lo, the feet of those who did bury thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee forth;'
10and she fell down presently at his feet, and expired, and the young men having come in, found her dead, and having carried forth, they buried her by her husband;
11and great fear came upon all the assembly, and upon all who heard these things
Here we see Sapphira being addressed by Peter while having the other apostles assembled. Peter asks her a question and its by his leading that she speaks in the Assembly. Notice great fear came upon the whole assembly.

Luke 2
22¶And when the days of their purification were fulfilled, according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem, to present to the Lord,
23as it hath been written in the Law of the Lord, -- 'Every male opening a womb shall be called holy to the Lord,'
24and to give a sacrifice, according to that said in the Law of the Lord, 'A pair of turtle-doves, or two young pigeons.'
25¶And lo, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name is Simeon, and this man is righteous and devout, looking for the comforting of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him,
26and it hath been divinely told him by the Holy Spirit -- not to see death before he may see the Christ of the Lord.
27And he came in the Spirit to the temple, and in the parents bringing in the child Jesus, for their doing according to the custom of the law regarding him,
28then he took him in his arms, and blessed God, and he said,
29'Now Thou dost send away Thy servant, Lord, according to Thy word, in peace,
30because mine eyes did see Thy salvation,
31which Thou didst prepare before the face of all the peoples,
32a light to the uncovering of nations, and the glory of Thy people Israel.'
33¶And Joseph and his mother were wondering at the things spoken concerning him,
34and Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, 'Lo, this one is set for the falling and rising again of many in Israel, and for a sign spoken against --
35(and also thine own soul shall a sword pass through) -- that the reasonings of many hearts may be revealed.'
36¶And there was Anna, a prophetess, daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher, she was much advanced in days, having lived with an husband seven years from her virginity,
37and she is a widow of about eighty-four years, who did depart not from the temple, with fasts and supplications serving, night and day,
38and she, at that hour, having come in, was confessing, likewise, to the Lord, and was speaking concerning him, to all those looking for redemption in Jerusalem
We see Anna the prophetess coming and speaking about the Christ to all those looking for redemption. Context shows us that at bare minimum we had Simeon and Joseph present, but it speaks of many others as well.

Matthew 28
1¶And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,
2and lo, there came a great earthquake, for a messenger of the Lord, having come down out of heaven, having come, did roll away the stone from the door, and was sitting upon it,
3and his countenance was as lightning, and his clothing white as snow,
4and from the fear of him did the keepers shake, and they became as dead men.
5¶And the messenger answering said to the women, 'Fear not ye, for I have known that Jesus, who hath been crucified, ye seek;
6he is not here, for he rose, as he said; come, see the place where the Lord was lying;
7and having gone quickly, say ye to his disciples, that he rose from the dead; and lo, he doth go before you to Galilee, there ye shall see him; lo, I have told you.'
8¶And having gone forth quickly from the tomb, with fear and great joy, they ran to tell to his disciples;
9¶and as they were going to tell to his disciples, then lo, Jesus met them, saying, 'Hail!' and they having come near, laid hold of his feet, and did bow to him.
10Then saith Jesus to them, 'Fear ye not, go away, tell to my brethren that they may go away to Galilee, and there they shall see me.
'
Here we see an Angel and Yeshua command the Marys to go speak to the disciples about His resurrection. Do 11 disciples count as an assembly? I would say so.

We have a few OT accounts as well. Deborah and also Huldah the prophetess. In NT we also have Priscilla and Aquila pulling aside Apollos to point out a few things that needed to be understood.

I believe we see women speaking in the Assembly through the scriptures.

Can a woman prophesy? I see that Paul teaches in this very chapter that prophesying is for the edifying of the assembly. It'll be pretty hard to edify the assembly if you can't speak.

I see no issue with a woman singing to God in the assembly, bringing a song that God has given her. I see no issue with a woman prophesying, assuming she is under authority and all is done in an orderly manner.

I see our Bib fam retreats as an assembly. When we came together and Andrew and his wives played and sung for us, I saw no shame or issue with that. When we were assembled and Steve's wife directed the younger women to be submissive to their husbands I saw no shame in that. When women shared something they wanted prayer for I saw no shame in that either. When Julie talked about her struggles I saw no issue with that. When you comforted Julie I didn't see that as shameful. It was beneficial instead of telling her she should be ashamed for speaking in the Assembly.

I think that a woman can tell her children to be quite in the assembly and that wouldn't be forbidden either. A woman is not to be disruptive or asking questions but is to be subject as the Law says. Nowhere does the Law say that a woman cant speak in the assembly. Where there is no law, there is no transgression. Paul stated that the law supported his statement. The law supports authority structure from beginning to end. Where does the law talk about a woman not speaking in the Assembly?

Hey having two wives keeps me busy. I am glad to move forward.

What is the assembly. I believe it to be the body of Christ. That being said I also see it as a plurality. 1 person cannot assemble. Two people can assemble. I also don't see one family as qualifying as the assembly. The man as the head represents his family. When two or more men and their families get together I see that as the assembly. If I have a man over for Shabbat I see that as the assembly. Colossians shows us that Christ is the head of His body, the assembly so the assembly is His body. Philemon shows us that people assembled in homes. History also tells us that many assembled in small home fellowships.

Can a woman speak in an assembly?

These are the verses in question.

34¶Your women in the assemblies let them be silent, for it hath not been permitted to them to speak, but to be subject, as also the law saith;

35 if they wish to learn anything, at home their own husbands let them question, for it is a shame to women to speak in an assembly.

What is Paul teaching here? Is he teaching that a woman should not utter a sound in the Assembly or that she should be subject in the Assembly?

for it hath not been permitted to them to speak, but to be subject, as also the law saith;

Paul here contrasts the women speaking with being subject. The contrast exists because he is addressing women wanting to exercise authority or even going to some other authority to receive their teaching. This should not be so. If the woman has a question she should ask her husband at home. Timothy echoes this same concept. A woman does not exercise authority over a man. We find this same concept in practically all of Paul's letters to the assemblies. The concept we don't find is a woman not being allowed to speak in the Assembly. This concept also seems to be missing from the Torah as well. Why does Paul say this is as the law says though? Because he is addressing authority structure not the ability of a woman to utter a word in the Assembly. He is calling for an orderly Assembly. The law does not teach us anywhere that a woman cannot speak in the assembly, it does however teach us by example the authority structure that God put in place. A woman is to be subject, as the Law says.

Acts 5

1¶And a certain man, Ananias by name, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2and did keep back of the price -- his wife also knowing -- and having brought a certain part, at the feet of the apostles he laid it.
3And Peter said, 'Ananias, wherefore did the Adversary fill thy heart, for thee to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back of the price of the place?
4while it remained, did it not remain thine? and having been sold, in thy authority was it not? why is it that thou didst put in thy heart this thing? thou didst not lie to men, but to God;'
5¶and Ananias hearing these words, having fallen down, did expire, and great fear came upon all who heard these things,
6and having risen, the younger men wound him up, and having carried forth, they buried him.
7¶And it came to pass, about three hours after, that his wife, not knowing what hath happened, came in,
8and Peter answered her, 'Tell me if for so much ye sold the place;' and she said, 'Yes, for so much.'
9¶And Peter said unto her, 'How was it agreed by you, to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? lo, the feet of those who did bury thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee forth;'
10and she fell down presently at his feet, and expired, and the young men having come in, found her dead, and having carried forth, they buried her by her husband;
11and great fear came upon all the assembly, and upon all who heard these things
Here we see Sapphira being addressed by Peter while having the other apostles assembled. Peter asks her a question and its by his leading that she speaks in the Assembly. Notice great fear came upon the whole assembly.

Luke 2
22¶And when the days of their purification were fulfilled, according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem, to present to the Lord,
23as it hath been written in the Law of the Lord, -- 'Every male opening a womb shall be called holy to the Lord,'
24and to give a sacrifice, according to that said in the Law of the Lord, 'A pair of turtle-doves, or two young pigeons.'
25¶And lo, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name is Simeon, and this man is righteous and devout, looking for the comforting of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him,
26and it hath been divinely told him by the Holy Spirit -- not to see death before he may see the Christ of the Lord.
27And he came in the Spirit to the temple, and in the parents bringing in the child Jesus, for their doing according to the custom of the law regarding him,
28then he took him in his arms, and blessed God, and he said,
29'Now Thou dost send away Thy servant, Lord, according to Thy word, in peace,
30because mine eyes did see Thy salvation,
31which Thou didst prepare before the face of all the peoples,
32a light to the uncovering of nations, and the glory of Thy people Israel.'
33¶And Joseph and his mother were wondering at the things spoken concerning him,
34and Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, 'Lo, this one is set for the falling and rising again of many in Israel, and for a sign spoken against --
35(and also thine own soul shall a sword pass through) -- that the reasonings of many hearts may be revealed.'
36¶And there was Anna, a prophetess, daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher, she was much advanced in days, having lived with an husband seven years from her virginity,
37and she is a widow of about eighty-four years, who did depart not from the temple, with fasts and supplications serving, night and day,
38and she, at that hour, having come in, was confessing, likewise, to the Lord, and was speaking concerning him, to all those looking for redemption in Jerusalem
We see Anna the prophetess coming and speaking about the Christ to all those looking for redemption. Context shows us that at bare minimum we had Simeon and Joseph present, but it speaks of many others as well.

Matthew 28
1¶And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,
2and lo, there came a great earthquake, for a messenger of the Lord, having come down out of heaven, having come, did roll away the stone from the door, and was sitting upon it,
3and his countenance was as lightning, and his clothing white as snow,
4and from the fear of him did the keepers shake, and they became as dead men.
5¶And the messenger answering said to the women, 'Fear not ye, for I have known that Jesus, who hath been crucified, ye seek;
6he is not here, for he rose, as he said; come, see the place where the Lord was lying;
7and having gone quickly, say ye to his disciples, that he rose from the dead; and lo, he doth go before you to Galilee, there ye shall see him; lo, I have told you.'
8¶And having gone forth quickly from the tomb, with fear and great joy, they ran to tell to his disciples;
9¶and as they were going to tell to his disciples, then lo, Jesus met them, saying, 'Hail!' and they having come near, laid hold of his feet, and did bow to him.
10Then saith Jesus to them, 'Fear ye not, go away, tell to my brethren that they may go away to Galilee, and there they shall see me.
'
Here we see an Angel and Yeshua command the Marys to go speak to the disciples about His resurrection. Do 11 disciples count as an assembly? I would say so.

We have a few OT accounts as well. Deborah and also Huldah the prophetess. In NT we also have Priscilla and Aquila pulling aside Apollos to point out a few things that needed to be understood.

I believe we see women speaking in the Assembly through the scriptures.

Can a woman prophesy? I see that Paul teaches in this very chapter that prophesying is for the edifying of the assembly. It'll be pretty hard to edify the assembly if you can't speak.

I see no issue with a woman singing to God in the assembly, bringing a song that God has given her. I see no issue with a woman prophesying, assuming she is under authority and all is done in an orderly manner.

I see our Bib fam retreats as an assembly. When we came together and Andrew and his wives played and sung for us, I saw no shame or issue with that. When we were assembled and Steve's wife directed the younger women to be submissive to their husbands I saw no shame in that. When women shared something they wanted prayer for I saw no shame in that either. When Julie talked about her struggles I saw no issue with that. When you comforted Julie I didn't see that as shameful. It was beneficial instead of telling her she should be ashamed for speaking in the Assembly.

I think that a woman can tell her children to be quite in the assembly and that wouldn't be forbidden either. A woman is not to be disruptive or asking questions but is to be subject as the Law says. Nowhere does the Law say that a woman cant speak in the assembly. Where there is no law, there is no transgression. Paul stated that the law supported his statement. The law supports authority structure from beginning to end. Where does the law talk about a woman not speaking in the Assembly?
Wow. Alright, let’s do this. Detailed response to follow but here’s some quick observations.

You appeal to emotion quite frequently. Why?

You still didn’t explain what 1 Corinthians14:34-35 meant when it said “It is not permitted to them to speak.” All of those words and you still ducked the main point. What does it mean that they’re not permitted to speak? You seem to think k that it means they’re permitted to speak. This needs an explanation.

Here comes the details.

There is very little actual substance to any of your arguments but here we go. For clarification purposes, I have simply skipped any and all appeals to emotion.

What is the assembly.
Really? Are you trying to draw this out even further by spinning it off into another debate? I’ll go there if you want to but you know as well as I do that the assembly in this case is when multiple believers come together for the purpose of corporate praise and instruction. Just because two or more believers are in the same place at the same time doesn’t make it an assembly. Right there most of everything you wrote is completely thrown out but let’s continue.
What is the assembly. I believe it to be the body of Christ
Way too broad. You know that. The body of Christ is the entirety of believers.
Two people can assemble. I
They can but they don’t by default.
Is he teaching that a woman should not utter a sound in the Assembly or that she should be subject in the Assembly?
Both. As he says in the text. You seem to be unable to see the interlocking realities of Paul. Spiritual truths have physical manifestations, it’s works and faith. He rarely just gives a principle without also giving a physical manifestation of that principle. Two things can be true at once.
Paul here contrasts the women speaking with being subject.
No. That’s not what a contrast is. He is correlating those two things. Contrasting them would be showing how they are different. Words have meanings and they’re fixed and they are important for communicating ideas. Whatever you were trying to say here is lost because you used a word that sounded good but has the opposite meaning of what I assume you were trying to say.
The contrast exists because he is addressing women wanting to exercise authority or even going to some other authority to receive their teaching.
The contrast doesn’t exist because it isn’t a contrast at all.
The concept we don't find is a woman not being allowed to speak in the Assembly.
We do find it. It’s in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. It says, and I repeat, that it is not permitted unto them to speak. What you mean is that you don’t find it anywhere else. But that’s not good enough to throw out scripture. You have to explain why “not permitted to speak” means “permitted to speak”.
This concept also seems to be missing from the Torah as well. Why does Paul say this is as the law says though?
I don’t have an answer here. The Bible says its there so I assume it’s there. I have full faith that when I get around to looking into this the issue will be resolvable. Although it sounds like you’re saying the passage is incorrect, that the Law doesn’t say this. Which means 1 Corinthians contains a falsehood and thus is not scripture. Is that what you’re saying?
Because he is addressing authority structure not the ability of a woman to utter a word in the Assembly
Again, two things can be true at once. It’s both.
He is calling for an orderly Assembly.
Not in this passage. There’s a whole different passage for that. We can debate that later if you like.
A woman is to be subject, as the Law says.
Where does the Law say this?
No.
No we don’t. There is no mention of the assembly at all. You’re adding that.
Still no mention of the assembly and this would have happened in an outer court where women were allowed to go. It wouldn’t have even happened in the place where the men were allowed to go. You have to scratch the surface on this stuff man. This was the outer court of the Temple sometimes called the Court of the Women.
Not necessarily. The disciples can be together and not in the assembly.
Prophecy is not only for the edification of the assembly. There are myriad examples of individual prophecies all throughout scripture. Deborah’s judgements probably fit more easily in to this category of personal prophecies.

So no, nothing you said comes close to changing “not permitted” in to “sure go ahead”. That’s the part you’re ignoring.

To recap; you’ve attempted to define the assembly so broadly that it loses all meaning, none of your examples of women prophesying or speaking in the assembly actually say these women were in the assembly and in the case of Anna we can say categorically that she was not.

So give me something solid here. Paul says for women to keep silent in the assembly by not speaking. James says it’s fine, go ahead as long their hearts are in the right place.

Reconcile this for me please.

Last edited:
Maybe I can help here and define the word speak.
You still didn’t explain what 1 Corinthians14:34-35 meant when it said “It is not permitted to them to speak.”
to speak, from λαλεῖν; verb, present active infinitive, from λαλέω, to use words in order to declare one's mind and disclose one's thoughts (Thayer's Greek Lexicon). The word is frequently used in the NT of teachers; to converse, speak.

In 1 Cor. 14 Paul is dealing with the use of the speaking gifts; tongues, teaching, prophecy, revelation when the saints assemble and, in v:34 says women are not permitted to speak. This comment is made in reference to use of the gifts in that environment and would therefore mean speaking in order to use tongues, teach, prophecy, or give a revelation is something women are not permitted to do.

Hope this helps. Shalom

To recap; you’ve attempted to define the assembly so broadly that it loses all meaning, none of your examples of women prophesying or speaking in the assembly actually say these women were in the assembly and in the case of Anna we can say categorically that she was not.
Please define the assembly by the scripture, I can quote where my idea came from. Where does yours? Is a Bib Fam retreat an assembly?

Not in this passage. There’s a whole different passage for that. We can debate that later if you like.
1st Corinthians 14
40let all things be done decently and in order.
Prophecy is not only for the edification of the assembly. There are myriad examples of individual prophecies all throughout scripture. Deborah’s judgements probably fit more easily in to this category of personal prophecies.
Im not disagreeing here. But in this very chapter Paul teaches that it edifies the assembly

No. That’s not what a contrast is. He is correlating those two things.
In that case anytime a woman talks that is not being subject. Pretty hard to have a wife that can't speak.

I don’t have an answer here. The Bible says its there so I assume it’s there. I have full faith that when I get around to looking into this the issue will be resolvable. Although it sounds like you’re saying the passage is incorrect, that the Law doesn’t say this. Which means 1 Corinthians contains a falsehood and thus is not scripture. Is that what you’re saying?
Then prove me wrong. Find the Law and this debate is over. I'll be waiting.

Im not saying its falsehood. Im saying its about authority.

Still no mention of the assembly and this would have happened in an outer court where women were allowed to go. It wouldn’t have even happened in the place where the men were allowed to go. You have to scratch the surface on this stuff man. This was the outer court of the Temple sometimes called the Court of the Women.
What's the problem with people assembling in the outer court? This does not cause a prevention of assembly

Wow. Alright, let’s do this. Detailed response to follow but here’s some quick observations.

You appeal to emotion quite frequently. Why?

You still didn’t explain what 1 Corinthians14:34-35 meant when it said “It is not permitted to them to speak.” All of those words and you still ducked the main point. What does it mean that they’re not permitted to speak? You seem to think k that it means they’re permitted to speak. This needs an explanation.

Here comes the details.
Not an appeal to emotion, an appeal to real life application. I like to practice what I believe. Not just think that it looks good on paper.

to speak
, from λαλεῖν; verb, present active infinitive, from λαλέω, to use words in order to declare one's mind and disclose one's thoughts (Thayer's Greek Lexicon). The word is frequently used in the NT of teachers; to converse, speak.

In 1 Cor. 14 Paul is dealing with the use of the speaking gifts; tongues, teaching, prophecy, revelation when the saints assemble and, in v:34 says women are not permitted to speak. This comment is made in reference to use of the gifts in that environment and would therefore mean speaking in order to use tongues, teach, prophecy, or give a revelation is something women are not permitted to do.

Hope this helps. Shalom
I could definitely see how a woman should not be using her gift of prophecy while the men are exercising their gifts.

Shabbat Shalom

to speak
, from λαλεῖν; verb, present active infinitive, from λαλέω, to use words in order to declare one's mind and disclose one's thoughts (Thayer's Greek Lexicon). The word is frequently used in the NT of teachers; to converse, speak.

Hope this helps. Shalom
So why not say that? Why say converse? You just listed the definition of the word and it wasn’t “use spiritual gifts verbally”. It was to “use words”.

You see the disconnect? Paul says “your women aren’t to use words” and you say “no, it’s fine just don’t use words for certain purposes.” But that’s still using words.

Why do you use these lexicons so much? You don’t seem to trust them at all. You quote the definition and then immediately use a vastly different one.

So why not say that? Why say converse? You just listed the definition of the word and it wasn’t “use spiritual gifts verbally”. It was to “use words”.

You see the disconnect? Paul says “your women aren’t to use words” and you say “no, it’s fine just don’t use words for certain purposes.” But that’s still using words.

Why do you use these lexicons so much? You don’t seem to trust them at all. You quote the definition and then immediately use a vastly different one.
Perhaps you can help us and explain the significance of the use of λαλεῖν by Paul here? It is significant so I'd appreciate your explanation. Thanks

Why do you use these lexicons so much?
To avoid the very common error of failing to understand the correct meaning of a word, and especially the word used in a particular construction. Some people build entire doctrines on erroneous understandings of particular words because they only use a translation. Very sad for them and any they teach such erroneous understanding. James 3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

Please define the assembly by the scripture, I can quote where my idea came from. Where does yours? Is a Bib Fam retreat an assembly?
This is an entire other debate. We can start that thread if you want but I don’t think you’re denying that Believers can be in physical proximity and not be in the assembly. Your examples of women speaking were not identified as being in the assembly. You can’t use them to prove or disprove anything concerning the assembly.
40let all things be done decently and in order.
And we’re dealing with verses 34-35. Verse 40 is in a different passage that is dealing with a different if related topic.
Im not disagreeing here. But in this very chapter Paul teaches that it edifies the assembly
But it doesn’t only edify the assembly. And since you say now that you know that then several of your earlier points verge on being misleading. Prophesy doesn’t happen exclusively in the assembly. Hence women can prophesy and not be doing it in the assembly.
In that case anytime a woman talks that is not being subject. Pretty hard to have a wife that can't speak.
What? Something has gotten lost in the back and forth here. Verses 34-35 restrict their application to the assembly. Why are you blowing it out to all the time?
Then prove me wrong. Find the Law and this debate is over. I'll be waiting.

Im not saying its falsehood. Im saying its about authority.
No. That’s a distraction. The verses don’t say they’re about authority. They say women don’t speak in the assembly. The verses around them aren’t about authority. There’s one clause at the end of the two verses that references women being subject. That’s not their primary purpose though.

You’re the one who says they don’t say what they say. You should be the one proving your claim. So far you haven’t offered any evidence other than that at various times in scripture women do speak. But the claim was never that they don’t, the claim was that they’re forbidden from speaking in the assembly. You haven’t offered any evidence that that is untrue. Although now you’ve introduced authority to these verses too so maybe other revelations are forthcoming.
What's the problem with people assembling in the outer court? This does not cause a prevention of assembly
But again, it does not mean it was an assembly either. You used this as an example of a woman prophesying in the assembly and there is nothing in the text to indicate that. And these examples were your main evidence.

So one again, the verses say “….Your women in the assemblies let them be silent, for it hath not been permitted to them to speak…..for it is a shame to women to speak in an assembly”.

That’s a very clear, simple, direct statement. It’s most obvious meaning is that women shouldn’t utter words in the assembly. You need to make a strong case to the contrary.

Last edited:
To avoid the very common error of failing to understand the correct meaning of a word, and especially the word used in a particular construction. Some people build entire doctrines on erroneous understandings of particular words because they only use a translation. Very sad for them and any they teach such erroneous understanding. James 3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
Yes but now you have to trust that the lexicon is inerrant and inspired and that the man who wrote it is a prophet. Both options seem highly unlikely.

Back