• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Candid interview Brady Williams

Sonny Chancelor

Male
Long video but worth watching...your thoughts and comments please...the most interesting part IMHO is the story of Justin, a non-Christian who shows more love to people that it unravels his complex of Mormon self-righteousness, WOW

Last edited:
Good point on the shows: people are watching the polygamy shows to see a train wreck, for drama, to see if the wives are going to leave. Polygamy as a 21st century Jerry Springer. I don't know that that is all of it, but I'm sure it's a big part of it.

On polygamy... "It's so rarely lived for the right reasons and its so easy for men to dominate women it should probably die out."

Polygamy for me but not for thee. By that measure we would be forced to say marriage should die out as well. He's really got that smug 'I'm the only real man doing it right' shtick down that so many pastors love to pull.

And then he goes on to equate polygamists and Bible believers to Islamic suicide bombers.

He is ever the zealot. Really goes all in on whatever he believes, but lacks root. He's pulling the same bs the liberals always do with their false dichotomies and preaching 'love' and 'tolerance'. But I've seen the fruit of matriarchy and women priests/pastors/etc; and it's rotten.

Love and fundamentalism (i.e. taking your religion at face value) are not at odds with each other. In Christianity you must have both.

Justin threw him for a loop because he did not know or understand the lesson of Rom 2:13-16. Like many fundies he thought it was his right belief and/or behavior that justified him. But Justin brought home the lesson of 1 Cor 13: without love you are nothing. And in his conviction for lack of love he lost his faith. Were he more mature in the faith, had his faith a strong foundation, he would have been like Priscilla and Aquila towards Apollos.

@rockfox, thank you for providing points of analaysis on the pychology of Brady Williams. And thank you so very much for watching the whole video. I appreciate your point of view very much! I love to read your posts as I find them very instructive and perceptive.

Hey thanks @Sonny Chancelor It's been good to see you active and posting again. I really enjoyed the video even though I disagreed with large parts of it. I value the perspective of active polygamists. And that bit about why people watch poly shows, that was an important insight I was missing. I don't think it's all that, he's jaded by his experience with the show producers and their constant hunt for drama, but it is certainly part of it.

@rockfox, could you give a two-sentence summary of the "why people watch" discussion? (I just don't/can't/won't watch long videos, no time, but would appreciate hearing what about that you found interesting.)

@rockfox, could you give a two-sentence summary of the "why people watch" discussion? (I just don't/can't/won't watch long videos, no time, but would appreciate hearing what about that you found interesting.)

Cleaned up from Youtubes auto-transcript:

Brady: It was such a misrepresentation, I mean you can take some creative editing but that there were things like that maybe two or three times.

Jimmy: So there's some negative that came out of doing the TV show then if you could do it over again would you do it again?

Brady: I would do it only if the premise behind it was more of a family friendly show because let's face it the polygamist shows out that are out there the reason people tune in is because they want to see if the wife's going to leave, they're there to be titulated, they're not there to feel good

Jimmy: if you guys are all getting along its kind of a boring TV show.

Brady: America doesn't watch a polygamy show to feel better, they watch it to see a train wreck and honestly we probably didn't get the ratings we wanted to because we just didn't give a train wreck... and my wives get along better than not

Thanks. Hadn't really thought about it (I don't watch the shows), but that makes perfect sense to me.

It does, though several commenters on the video disagreed, saying that wasn't why they watched. I think it's probably a mix. And from the standpoint of good vs. bad PR for polygamy, while I don't think that is the best way, I think it was a net positive in normalizing it. Everyone knows there are problems in monogamy too.

Oh, yeah, generalizations have exceptions, and those of us here who are watching those shows obviously have different interests and expectations. I'd be surprised if that weren't an accurate generalization, though (subject to all the usual caveats).

I think there are definitly those who watch for (and expect) the trainwreck, but I think there are those who watch because they find it fascinating. The fascinating group are split between those who watch but would never attempt and a smaller group that are interested. I would say something like 60/30/10%.

Back