• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ceasers Marriage

Tlaloc

Splintered from discussion at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=119

How much value should we place in State marriages? Should we use them or avoid them?

Obviously the states idea of marriage is not ours, Mark C was raising questions as to the harm of it that I feel may make a good discussion.

For myself, the course of my life explains to a T how I feel about them. I have one wife, but three weddings. Not long after we started dating when she was 16 and I 15 we went with a small group of friends (4) to a hilltop, my Wife and I said our promise to each other in front of our friends, God, and the wind. It was the shortest (not counting the hike) least ceremonial, least expensive or fancy (we wore our normal clothes), wedding of the three. It was the most heartfelt, sincere, and real wedding to me. From that point we where lovers, something I have never had conviction for (though I have had disapproval by some who knew about it). The second was presided over by our Pastor (whom we did not even know at the time of our true marriage), attended by a few of our friends and close family, and held in a back yard. The reason for this and the next was mostly for show, a big show for people in general (to appease them I suppose) and for the state marriage. I find the state marriage valuable for the rights it bestows, things such as access in emergency medical situation, the ability to easily share funds in our household, tax reasons etc... I believe the state certificate to be a practical note to the state informing them that we share these things, if it's gone it has nothing to do with our true marriage, nor does it support our true marriage. I don't see it especially different than any platonic legal document. The reason for the second ceremony was that my family might have objected (they hate my wife, goodness knows how hard it'll be when they find she got us into this polygyny stuff) and caused legal problems at the big shebang. Even though the second ceremony was a precursor, I was much happier at it, and took it much more seriously than the grand pompous show that was the third. At the second I strategically omitted 'forsaking all others.' (Which of course had nothing to do with the first, which had no set traditional vows) She noticed and giggled, though everyone else thought it was just another giggle of happiness at the event. The third, showiest, biggest, most bleedingly expensive wedding was, well, almost an unhappy day for me. So much preparation, so many frills, so much stress for the preceding months setting it all up. She wanted that kind of thing, and of course I have no problem with her having it, but weddings as such are not for the groom. Interestingly enough before the day I said to myself 'this is just a show, just go thought it and get it done to make her and others happy, our real wedding was on the hill, even our wedding certificate was done before this by our Pastor. It's a good thing for me that I did too, her dad (a pastor in his own right, though at the time had no state certificate to preform weddings) presided and actually repeated the line when I omitted 'forsaking all others' the second time (perhaps he caught it the first time?) and so I was obliged to say it or make a scene. It gave me pause briefly after, but then I said to myself 'its not binding, this isn't the bond of my wedding or even my promise to the state. The whole things a show.' and my wife agrees. I'm not above correction, but its good enough for me.

So, to me, the Real wedding is on the hill, the church wedding was with my pastor and had paperwork for legalities, and the show was just a show. The more money and spectacle goes into it the more fake it is. But that last line is just my opinion.

Re: Ceasers Marridge

Interesting points, Tlaloc. Given that you already know my bias, however, I feel the need to start here: ;)

...I find the state marriage valuable for the rights it bestows...

Never confuse "Rights" with privileges, Tlaloc. While this rapidly becomes more of a Constitutional/legal discussion than a strictly Biblical one - it is important to understand. The Founders generally capitalized the word Rights to make the distinction clear; Rights come from God, and are unalienable (actually pronounced "un-a-LIEN-able", meaning cannot be liened or infringed by any LESSER power than God). Privileges are granted, and can just as easily be taken away by the grantor (read that as king). They ALWAYS turn out to have strings attached as well! And THAT is why the Bible repeatedly warns us to choose carefully Whom we will serve!

What I contend the state permission actually does is BESTOW nothing. It does, however, explicitly grant the "creator" of that marriage (note the small-c) jurisdiction over that marriage and everything that flows from it (property ownership, in other words. That includes children, as CPS will make clear to anyone who doubts; no warrants necessary any more.)

[ An aside: The propaganda psychology here is interesting, and instructive. If someone wants to make something which is an "abomination" before God appear "good" - and "good" evil - what better way than to make it look like OTHER people are just DYING to have it - can't live without it? EVERYBODY wants to have Satan's Wonderful Marriage Licenses; and the prince of this world gets to define "marriage", as well!]

Finally - on the "forsaking all others" pledge. Read carefully what the Bible says about the words we say with our mouths. (I did a Bible study once on the tongue - the number of references and warnings in there are amazing.)

Got to run for now.

Blessings,

Mark

Mark C said:
What I contend the state permission actually does is BESTOW nothing. It does, however, explicitly grant the "creator" of that marriage (note the small-c) jurisdiction over that marriage and everything that flows from it (property ownership, in other words. That includes children, as CPS will make clear to anyone who doubts; no warrants necessary any more.)
I agree wholeheartedly, although I wonder whether NOT getting a state-recognized license for marriage really prevents any abuses by the state? CPS has just as much "rights" (read: none at all) to one's children whether married or not, and they will not stop to check for a marriage license when hauling your children away in "their best interest".

I think the only reasons one who already understands Biblical marriage might consider getting a state marriage license is for the reasons Tlaloc mentioned: financial, medical, things of that nature. Not being in a polygynous marriage myself, I'm sure there are many things I haven't even thought about. Financial can be compensated for by opening a joint bank account in all names, taxes can be handled with everyone filing "single" and simply pay the higher tax rate, children can be handled as they always have for unmarried or divorced couples, but emergency medical I can see as a problem. What happens when your wife is in the hospital and you have no "legal" rights to see her, let alone consult on medical decisions if she were incapacitated? What other legal aspects have others in polygynous marriages become aware of?

Mark C said:
Finally - on the "forsaking all others" pledge. Read carefully what the Bible says about the words we say with our mouths.
Yeah, I have to agree here too. I'd have thrown down before I'd have let him intimidate either myself or my wife into agreeing to a statement we didn't believe. I probably would have simply stood there and smiled, if need be, until he pushed past the issue. But before I'd have backed down on a matter of conscience, I'd have walked away entirely.

Love in Him,
David

I wonder whether NOT getting a state-recognized license for marriage really prevents any abuses by the state?

Of course not, although it can't hurt. A police state eventually finds itself able to take off the "velvet glove", revealing the iron fist within. (Which is why - another thread perhaps ;) - I think we are told ultimately to "come out of her" before the inevitable plagues come.)

The question, however, concerns whether or not we choose to be within God's will, and under His protection. To whom much is given, much is expected. Ultimately, the question is how we will answer Him for our choices.

Other than that, it looks like we're having Agreement. :)

Blessings in Him,

Mark

My wife and I got married in a hotel room the day we slept together (My wife and I believe that sex = Marriage.) But later on before I knew the truth about polygyny my wife wanted to get leagally married. When saying my vows I felt uncomfortable with the line forsakeing all others but I said it. After finding the truth I asked my wife to release me from my vow. She graciously did (which makes me love her even more). I think she also is anxious to have a livein best friend and maybe more. Anyway I took that vow seriously but I wont do it again. Next time I may not get so lucky.

Well Chaplains Rose and I cannot beat Tlaloc in age for we were 18 for me and 17 for her when we made a commitment to each other at, of all the places, a sadie hawkins dance, while we were still in high school. It was almost a year later when we did the church wedding and state license hoopla.

Mark,

I understand you're point with symantics, but rights is the legal term for the legal privileges bestowed. Consiquently I've had long discussions outlining the difference between God given rights and legal rights and I readily accept the term legal privileges as being an accurate description of what they are.

I will agree that the advantages to the state marriage certificate are nothing just as far as I will agree that money means nothing. It has no intrinsic value, but there is a perceived value that is very real and might as well be leveraged. I think you only have a problem when the precived value of the state's marriage is greater in you're heart than the actual value of the actual marriage. The state has jurisdiction over the material things, like emergency access and division of wealth, anyway, signing a paper that helps working with that signs away no jurisdiction over spiritual things.

As for the other mater, I say many things in a play that are not true, and do not need to repent of them. The third set up was an act for people, and I value it as such.

David,
Where I am, and probably there too, all matters can be compensated for by setting up legal rights. The things is a marriage certificate is very inexpensive and straightforward whereas setting up all legal rights individually will cost you enough that you're solicitor could have a small vacation.
A legal technicality from the 20's helps us in this province too, as it allows for technical, legalish, polygamy if you live with them for over seven years, though seven years is a very long time to be without rights. My solicitor actually pointed this out to me when I bought my house.

As for foresaking, It wasn't a matter of intimidation, rather of being foiled. While it was for the most part for show, it was a show my wife wanted, so whatever I said, if binding at all in the farce, would be null when she rejected it. So far as its a show, the show must go on. :)

Six,

Thank you for sharing. It WOULD be uncomfortable to have to say forsaking all others at a poly marriage wouldn't it? To a cretin extent we simply don't know the future enough to always do what we say, grace is nice for that.

Chaplin,

At a dance? Very cool. She must occasionally bring up the fact that she asked you. That's a great romance to tell.

P.S.

My given name is Jair, not much especially useful about that knowledge, but many people are using theirs.

When it comes to semantics, Tlaloc, you picked an interesting analogy: ;)

I will agree that the advantages to the state marriage certificate are nothing just as far as I will agree that money means nothing. It has no intrinsic value, but there is a perceived value that is very real...

Our society is now beginning to be RE-educated about the difference between REAL money and that having no value (gold or silver, versus paper debt). Watch as the "perceived value" of the dollar continues to plummet, ultimately to nothing. (I contend that the reason can be found, as always, in His Word. Look just in the Book of Proverbs alone to see how God "hates" dishonest weights and measures, and theft by such deception.)

We are now at the point where it is increasingly obvious that "marriage" licenses (or semantics like "civil union") ARE being used to call good evil, and evil good. (Or, perhaps I should say to "call abomination legal". :? )

Trouble is, like many of the things that our Savior taught, the differences between the meanings of the words make all the difference.

that which is highly esteemed amoung men is an abomination unto God.

Hmm, all things weighed I still say there are advantages to a state certificate, but I have to concede that it is better to have nothing to do with it.

If I where to give a honest defence for my cirtificate I can think of nothing other than life moving faster than I have time to study. Many of these particulars I had not studied or properly considered even until now. I would tend to agree that given there are other ways to secure the same protections the marriage certificate gives it is better to stay away from it.

I think we understand each other perfectly about currency issue. Arn't we both in a bad situation about currency? We cant leagaly go without it. If we own land to feed our families we must pay property tax, if we don't we must buy food. Currency is a topic in and of itself.

And yes, the difference between meanings of words means so much, my Pastor actually has sermons on semantics occasionally and comments on them regularly. One word can make a huge difference as to what a scripture means, especially short ones like and or but.

Sir Francis Bacon in 1630 authored The Elements of the Common Law of England. He was sollicitor to the Queen at that time.

http://www.constitution.org/bacon/ecle.htm

About 3/4 of the way through the whole writing there is this:

neerest degree of consanguinity, with these three rules of diversities. 1. That the Eldest male shall solely inherit; but if it come to females, then they being all in an equall degree of neerenesse shall inherit altogether, and are called Parceners, and all they make but one heire to the Ancestor. 2. That no brother nor sister of the halfe blood shall inherit to his brother or sister, but as a Child to his Parents, as for example. If a man have two wives, and by either wife a sonne, the eldest son overliving his Father is to be preferred to the inheritance of the Father being Fee-simple; But if he entreth & dyeth without a child

As to the medical "rights" ,or legal privilege if you prefer, there is a legal document called Power of Attorney which grants a named person or persons decision making , information getting, financial taking care of legal privileges. In essence the named person or persons get to make all your decisions for you when/if you are ever incapacitated. This is Canadian Knowledge although I believe it also applies in the US.

What about some of the Biblical references on how to enter marriage? Something I wished I had done better at was preparing a home. Too often I think we let desire rule when we get married as opposed to ability. A Jewish boy used to have to prepare a room/place for his bride. He would go meet her and leave to go prepare a place and return for her. This is echoed when Christ says He will go prepare a place for us. As most things of God there are many ways to interpret this: I need to prepare a place in my heart, mind, spirit, finances, home etc.

As to legal marriage. Geez what a headache. It is not govt's domain. The one thing I look forward to with the collapse of "marriage" as an institution is maybe a more generic govt contract for the legal issues. Other than that the key to the marriage vow is that 3 people are involved: GOD, WIFE and HUSBAND. It is imperative that the vow is solemn. My wife and I know that death is the only way out of this covenant. I am pretty sure when I see her in heaven, I will still be made to put the toilet seat down in my own house, so not sure about the death part either. I think it is great to spend a little on a festival to celebrate to enter the marriage with some pomp and circumstance. However if the budget is above 5k or so perhaps we should be looking at investing that into a house or car for the couple.

Back