• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Celtic Christianity was Polygamous

As far as 'Lost Tribes' many have marveled at the phenotypic variety on the British Isles. This can be seen in faces like Tom Jones, Inglebert Humperdink, and Cary Grant. They are much swarthier than the faces we typically think of as being "British". I personally wonder if this is part of the mystery of a possible ancient Semitic influence.

King David and King Solomon (from the tribe of Judah) were described as swarthy .....or was that ruddy?

What does ruddy mean?

I believe there are huge numbers of Israelites out there, and they are certainly all shades, but the default lens looking back seems to be quite influenced by politically correct ideas about people today using the old name.

Following are a couple .pdfs that have a bunch of research concerning the possible Israelite origins of the Celts.

Thanks for the uploads!
I have looked at a lot of info over the years including some black Israel information. The evidence I've seen does support Celtic harp players inheriting the tradition and skill from King David.

The idea that the Celts came from the northern kingdom of Isreal makes sense. When I was doing some research on the Celts after finding out my family comes from the Helvetii I thought the culture sounded similar to ancient Isreal.
Also this helps the story of the wise men make more sense for me. They are from the east (originally), saw His star in the east (now they live in Europe), and were wanting to worship the King of the Jews (being from the 12 tribes themselves).

Last edited:
King David and King Solomon (from the tribe of Judah) were described as swarthy .....or was that ruddy?

What does ruddy mean?

I believe there are huge numbers of Israelites out there, and they are certainly all shades, but the default lens looking back seems to be quite influenced by politically correct ideas about people today using the old name.

Thanks for the uploads!
I have looked at a lot of info over the years including some black Israel information. The evidence I've seen does support Celtic harp players inheriting the tradition and skill from King David.
I believe ruddy actually means the opposite of swarthy. Ruddy would be light or reddish hair. I'm thinking David would be described as such because he would have looked different than the others.

Not sure I understand what you mean by default lens and politically correct. Can you explain further?

Not sure I understand what you mean by default lens and politically correct. Can you explain further?
Certainly. I mean that people have been hearing "The Jews are God's chosen people" for a number of years, and many modern Jews certainly have significant influences from intermarriage over the last two millenia, but when people are looking for "lost tribes" today, they tend to look for people that resemble the modern Jews.
I mentioned the black Israel doctrine/movement because it is about as oposite British Israel as you can get, and shows how varried the ideas and theories can be. When we are trying to understand history and prophesy it can be hard to get the big picture, so details like that wise men were not at the manger to see the newborn messiah, and David and Solomon were ruddy are sometimes helpful to keep in mind when contemplating /picturing biblical events and people.
Most are unaware that a lot of the house of Judah went into captivity with the ten tribes of the house of Israel. Most don't process the implications of the name change that happened when believers came to be called Christian no matter what tribe or nation they were from. Did they cease to be Israelites?
It is a narrow and politically influenced concept that "Jews" are God's chosen people when the almighty said that the descendants of Jacob/Israel would be a nation before Him forever. The Israelites that became Christian are still a part of that chosen nation.

I believe ruddy actually means the opposite of swarthy. Ruddy would be light or reddish hair. I'm thinking David would be described as such because he would have looked different than the others.
Hmmm... never thought about this in the context of plural marriage, but is it possible his mother was not hs father's first wife? That explains the brother's disdain and differences of appearance.. and, fits the Joseph model....

And, @Joleneakamama , love your comment. Looking forward to meeting you and talking at the retreat. I'll bring you a copy of my latest book as it touches on alk of this... bottom line, Scripture says that the Israel that returns will be from every tribe tongue and nation. So, as you indicate, there isn't a streotypical 'lost tribe' look. The seed of Abraham was thoroughly scattered.. and Ezekiel 37, in the two stick prophecy, there is clear evidence that while each house is predominantly its own, both contain elements of the other...

So, back to OP, the Celts have some clear markers that they at least had heavy Israelite influence if they were not actual DNA carriers, not unlike many other people groups.

Hmmm... never thought about this in the context of plural marriage, but is it possible his mother was not hs father's first wife? That explains the brother's disdain and differences of appearance.. and, fits the Joseph model....

And, @Joleneakamama , love your comment. Looking forward to meeting you and talking at the retreat. I'll bring you a copy of my latest book as it touches on alk of this... bottom line, Scripture says that the Israel that returns will be from every tribe tongue and nation. So, as you indicate, there isn't a streotypical 'lost tribe' look. The seed of Abraham was thoroughly scattered.. and Ezekiel 37, in the two stick prophecy, there is clear evidence that while each house is predominantly its own, both contain elements of the other...

So, back to OP, the Celts have some clear markers that they at least had heavy Israelite influence if they were not actual DNA carriers, not unlike many other people groups.
Excellent tie in to PM! Impossible to know, but a good thought exercise.

The modern day state of Israel is very diverse in appearance, but this is after several millenia of intermarriage across the globe.

I've heard claims that the vast Russian Jewish population is attributed not to the diaspora, but to native Russians adopting or converting to Judaism, perhaps even after Christianity being introduced.

So many theories to think about.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but just remember that the twelve tribes came from four different mothers, two of whom were servants.
Yah’s big joke may have been that not all of the tribes had the same skin tone.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but just remember that the twelve tribes came from four different mothers, two of whom were servants.
Great point!

Never considered the difference in skin tones possibly from the servant wives.

What if one servant was Black and the other White, and the sisters were brown and Semitic?
Do we know if the sisters had the same mother?

This has gone a little off the op, but it does tie into the fact that our God is not limited to race or geography.

Do we know if the sisters had the same mother?
Scripture doesn't specify. Judaism teaches that they were twin sisters if I'm not mistaken... (not sure the basis for their thought on the matter).

What if one servant was Black and the other White, and the sisters were brown and Semitic?
The orchestrator of that plan would be a god that the liberals couldn’t possibly dislike, right?
Well, except for his pesky negativity about homosexuality.

Don't forget the family the Son of God came from, prostitutes and other less quality ancestry.

Don't forget the family the Son of God came from, prostitutes and other less quality ancestry.
While true, I do not see where the morals of his ancestry enter this conversation.
People-groups in Jacob’s lineage was the point.

While true, I do not see where the morals of his ancestry enter this conversation.
People-groups in Jacob’s lineage was the point.

I know, I just threw that in there. If we are derailing threads might as well go all the way. :)

I know, I just threw that in there. If we are derailing threads might as well go all the way. :)
So you return to your pattern of making sure that people’s failures are not forgotten.
Got it.

Reactions: Cap
Back