• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"chained wife"?

John Whitten said:
steve said:
john,
i am sorry that you see it that way.
to me it is not about adding to or subtracting from scripture, it is about enhancing our understanding of scripture. knowing more about the lives, lifestyles, needs, likes, customs, etc. of the people that we study in scripture helps me understand more about their successes and failures.
being led of the Holy Spirit in this is very important to me.

steve, the non- judaizing non-pharisee
Steve, the position I take is exactly the position that Moses and all the prophets as well as the Apostles of the Lamb, take. How can one improve on that?
if you say so. :ugeek:

steve, possible karaite

John Whitten said:
OK, I'll bite. What is a "Karaite?
still working on that, but it seems that some people followed the scriptures (torah) rather than following the pharisees.
i am not a jew, but do identify with those who reject being told what and how to believe.

steve, the non judaizer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaite_Judaism

possible karaite

If so that would explain why you reject Jesus Christ being Lord (i.e. God in the flesh) and are thus embracing an anti-Christian position.

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
possible karaite

If so that would explain why you reject Jesus Christ being Lord (i.e. God in the flesh) and are thus embracing an anti-Christian position.
not so, i do not embrace an anti-christian position.
i am not a jew so i am not really a karaite, but i do embrace the thinking that they have of not being led by the pharisees.
it is interesting that there is a modern-day karaite who does not embrace Yeshua as messiah but accepts him as a karaite-thinking teacher who points his followers, jew and gentile, toward following the scriptures rather than following what the religious leaders have to say about it.

steve, not really a karaite, but i put scripture first as they do

SirBumbleBerry popping in with 2 cents and a gumdrop, if I may.

That Cecil dude will tell you in a heartbeat that he FINALLY made sense of some of the stuff Jesus said in the gospels after reading about Taoism. And that God brought him (Cecil) back to Himself (God) through the writings of a modern atheist (Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged).

He'll also tell you that these in no wise diminish his stance that the Scriptures alone are his only rule of faith. He has gotten in most of his religious trouble through insisting on sola scriptura to those who said they did but didn't!

He also uses dictionaries, and concordances, and archeological information, Josephus, the Book of Jasher, and any other credible resource, most importantly asking for the guidance of the Holy Spirit who lives in both himself and his friend Steve, to more fully grasp what the writers of Scripture were trying to convey in the context of their language, idioms, customs, political and geographical landscape, state of technology, current covenant with God, and on and on. Each enhances his understanding of the scriptura that he's so sola about. He keeps saying that "the only thang uglier than ignorance is WILLFUL ignorance."

Ask me, Cecil's just too thirsty for knowledge. What *I* wanna know is, where can I get some chocolate? I'm tired of dragging these lollipops around!

Sir BumbleBerry the Sweet

Doc the missionary checking in....

Aren't the real issues of this entire thread two-fold?

1. Is Jesus God?
2. Are the Scriptures God's Word?

ANSWERS: (From me)

1. Jesus Christ is fully God almighty, and sits at the right hand of the Father in Heaven. He came to earth, lived as fully man.
2. Unequivocally yes! When people speak of the Bible as inspired, they are referring to the fact that God divinely influenced the human authors of the Scriptures in such a way that what they wrote was the very Word of God. In the context of the Scriptures, the word “inspiration” simply means “God-breathed.” Inspiration means the Bible truly is the Word of God and makes the Bible unique among all other books.

While there are different views as to the extent to which the Bible is inspired, there can be no doubt that the Bible itself claims that every word in every part of the Bible comes from God (1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Timothy 3:16-17). This view of the Scriptures is often referred to as “verbal plenary” inspiration. That means the inspiration extends to the very words themselves (verbal)—not just concepts or ideas—and that the inspiration extends to all parts of Scripture and all subject matters of Scripture (plenary). Some people believe only parts of the Bible are inspired or only the thoughts or concepts that deal with religion are inspired, but these views of inspiration fall short of the Bible’s claims about itself. Full verbal plenary inspiration is an essential characteristic of the Word of God.

The extent of inspiration can be clearly seen in 2 Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” This verse tells us that God inspired all Scripture and that it is profitable to us. It is not just the parts of the Bible that deal with religious doctrines that are inspired, but each and every word from Genesis to Revelation. Because it is inspired by God, the Scriptures are therefore authoritative when it comes to establishing doctrine, and sufficient for teaching man how be in a right relationship with God. The Bible claims not only to be inspired by God, but also to have the supernatural ability to change us and make us “complete.” What more can we need?

Another verse that deals with the inspiration of the Scriptures is 2 Peter 1:21. This verse helps us to understand that even though God used men with their distinctive personalities and writing styles, God divinely inspired the very words they wrote. Jesus Himself confirmed the verbal plenary inspiration of the Scriptures when He said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law...” (Matthew 5:17-18). In these verses, Jesus is reinforcing the accuracy of the Scriptures down to the smallest detail and the slightest punctuation mark, because it is the very Word of God.

Because the Scriptures are the inspired Word of God, we can conclude that they are also inerrant and authoritative. A correct view of God will lead us to a correct view of His Word. Because God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and completely perfect, His Word will by its very nature have the same characteristics. The same verses that establish the inspiration of the Scriptures also establish that it is both inerrant and authoritative. Without a doubt the Bible is what it claims to be—the undeniable, authoritative, Word of God to humanity.

DocInKorea said:
Aren't the real issues of this entire thread two-fold?

1. Is Jesus God?
2. Are the Scriptures God's Word?

I think that the point of this thread was how to resolve issues for women whose husbands had gone missing for extensive periods of time. :?

These other issues seem like a side trip that someone or other just had to make. Important points, fer sure, but not really on topic. Or am I missing something? and isn't there another thread dedicated to these issues?

Sir BumbleBerry says that if I turn up missing, he ain't marrying nobody for no-one. Instead, he'll get himself on out of here, buy himself a miniature donkey, and head out gumdrop mining. :roll:

Sounds like a halfway decent plan! :lol:

"following the scriptures rather than following what the religious leaders have to say about it."

OK...I get it...you are simply trying to be Berean about things...that I can respect.

That makes things quite simple then:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

>Insert numerous verses that show that Jesus is God in the flesh here< most of which have already been posted recently.

If that is the case, and I believe it is, then there is no issue to debate.

Anyung haseo, Doc. Thank you, kind sir. :D

Back