• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Children issue

John_John916

Is it against the law to have children with more then one woman in an open relationship and having the entire family under one roof. I don't have any children, but I was curious of what the law has to say about a man who's in a relationship with more then one woman, having multiple kids and what they do to keep the custody of their children. I'm referring to the taking of the kids at Ranch a few years back.

If it's against the law then it sure isn't enforced. I really don't think that it is though. I mean there are tons of guys out there that are having kids with lots of different women and the only thing that they usually get in trouble for is neglect to pay child support. Though you're really not referring to that.

Depending on how the laws in your state are setup you may have to worry about living with more than one woman under the same roof. Your particular state may use some sort of common law marriage statute to burn you if they wanted to.

That would be terrible for a State to do that to a person who is working hard to support his family. What states favor PM then others? You know, like they wouldn't enforce anything on you outta no where. I live in California and I don't think this is the right State that favors PM.

As a general statement, nowadays states don't care WHO you live with or WHAT you call each other. They care about their own exposure.

If you have registered marriages with two at the same time and die intestate, how do they handle inheritance? Big mess, as estate law isn' set up to figure it out.

If you have two registered marriages without telling each about the other, can one claim that fraud is taking place?

Is your family scamming the welfare system?

These are there true issues.

Within the last 10 years, I know of one state that placed children in a PM home for either foster care or adoption, sorry don't remember which, although in their state even ADVOCATING PM is technically a felony. Go figure.

And over a decade ago, the US Supreme Court took cognizance of the fact that if anyone brought the issue to court, they'd have to take a long hard look at the issue, unless somehoe gays had more intrinsic human rights than do plygamists.

Note that in Texas, the government had to give ALL the kids BACK, even though there was no dispute about them being PM homes.

So I wouldn't give much worry to the states just now.

I agree with Cecil. Most states have too many other issues on their plate without worrying about us out here 'on the fringe'. As long as we stay out of their hair and don't cause any problems with our lifestyle, most govt entities could care less.

Most of these issues regarding property and children can be easily resolved by setting up a confidential agreement between parties with a private family law attorney. Contractual law often is heavily favored by the courts.

Blessings

Back