• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Church? Fellowship?

Scoop

Real Person*
Male
Ok, as my wife and I discuss our future we wonder how in the world do you navigate this. I mean barring some of the debate over whether church necessarily needs to occur at a specific place, we realize that our current environment will not work. I can just imagine other families forbidding their kids to be friends with my kids, and friends breaking fellowship with us. Are their poly friendly congregations that are not LDS? Full disclosure were non-denom but attend church at an independent baptist church, but we are probably more pentecostal, along with some other variations, namely I am a firm conditionalist and teach my kids that way as well. Ugh, that was a mouthful! As cliche as it seems to be now I just can't align myself with one particular label beyond being a follower of Yeshua. Also still learning more as we dig through the scriptures (thats how we ended up on this journey of course)

As cliche as it seems to be now I just can't align myself with one particular label beyond being a follower of Yeshua.
You are catching on fast. :)

Seriously people choose many different paths.
After being rejected by a group that we greatly love, we are FGTOW (Family Going Their Own Way).
We, like most, stuck it out with the group that we most identified with until they went ballistic.
Many find big churches and quietly attend services and evaporate (slip out the back, Jack. Don’t need to be coy, Roy) each Sunday at the end.
Some start a fellowship that actually believes the Bible.
The chances of finding one are somewhere between slim and none. Shucks, we don’t all agree with each other.

We help lead a Shabbat home fellowship. Most families believe polygyny is Biblically acceptable (though none currently practice), the remainder are committed not to divide over a non-essential matter and we don't make it a point of contention. Personally, I m convinced this is one of several 'sifting' issues the Father is using to sort His people into who takes His Word seriously and who prefers tradition... jmho.

Personally, I m convinced this is one of several 'sifting' issues the Father is using to sort His people into who takes His Word seriously and who prefers tradition... jmho.

I usually end up very frustrated with my conversations with lets call them "Traditionalists", I mean just the canned parroted answers I get, even from people who on some level I considered mature in the faith. Especially patronizing answers, in the "Well bless your heart" vein when they respond to me. I'm trying not to bring contention with me, it just seems to follow me around. I pray constantly, and all I get is this overwhelming urge to press on, to keep moving, to keep learning. Lately its been a struggle, wanting to just come out and say ENOUGH! I am who I am in God's eyes, I just want to be a free thinking person who genuinely loves the Father and wants the truth. I just found so many times I have to compromise my beliefs or slink quietly away. Sometimes communicating with "Believers" is so difficult, sometimes they can't see the very constructs they parrot to prop up tradition, or just plain falsehoods. I told my wife, i'm approaching 40, and I've just had about enough nonsense, and I want my children to not be pew sitters, or bible readers, but God seekers. Sorry for the rant, just dealing with this internally for so long. I am new here but I am really really grateful to find this forum, even though ya'll are all in different places and I'd long to have in-person fellowship with thinking people.

Ok, as my wife and I discuss our future we wonder how in the world do you navigate this. I mean barring some of the debate over whether church necessarily needs to occur at a specific place, we realize that our current environment will not work. I can just imagine other families forbidding their kids to be friends with my kids, and friends breaking fellowship with us.

Depending on how open you are with your beliefs and how active you are in your pursuit, you will lose people over this. The good news is that you will find out who your true friends and family are.

Are their poly friendly congregations that are not LDS?

Technically yes, but they are few and far between and hard to locate. For practical purposes the answer is no. Polygamy sympathisers can often lay low in a normal church. Many, especially those that actually practice polygamy tend to home church. One of the main reasons this ministry exists is to provide Christian fellowship for plygamous families, which is why retreats are an important part of this ministry.

Full disclosure were non-denom but attend church at an independent baptist church, but we are probably more pentecostal, along with some other variations, namely I am a firm conditionalist and teach my kids that way as well. Ugh, that was a mouthful!

There are all types of Christians here. We disagree on almost everything except polygamy! :)

As cliche as it seems to be now I just can't align myself with one particular label beyond being a follower of Yeshua.

Bravo! 1 Cor 1:10-17

I told my wife, i'm approaching 40, and I've just had about enough nonsense, and I want my children to not be pew sitters, or bible readers, but God seekers. Sorry for the rant, just dealing with this internally for so long. I am new here but I am really really grateful to find this forum, even though ya'll are all in different places and I'd long to have in-person fellowship with thinking people.

You are really going to like your first retreat.

You are really going to like your first retreat.
To me, retreats just feel like home. I've only made it to two, but I felt at home the first morning of the first retreat I attended. You're with true, genuine brothers and sisters. Who disagree a lot - the second night I didn't actually go to sleep, spent the entire night discussing theology... But that's what should happen at home!

"I am sorry to hear that you feel wives are difficult to deal with. What's going on? Can I help?"
He's saying that their family and friends would express that view/ask that question, not that he feels that way about @Jessie. ;)

I find myself dreading this very thing. My dad would joke about me embracing polygamy, but he'd be fine with it if it means I'm happy. My mom and siblings on the other hand are very judgemental and hold to social "norms" and I feel would criticize at the very least and ostracize at the most. I don't really have many true friends, but I've discussed polygamy with the ones closest to me and they are of the mind that if lisa and I are happy, and if it doesn't extremely negatively affect their life, go for it. My wife's family is an unknown, thoug . Her mom I think would be fine, but her dad is very much a traditionalist.

I have seen in several threads where people frequently are surprised by who in their lives is accepting and who is not once the cat is out of the bag. It can be the reverse of what you first thought.

When you are just seeking (for information or a woman) I think it's best to keep the circle small. Whenever later there is a real person in the picture, the naysayers are confronted with real relationships, real love. Then, unless you are dealing with a stranger, I think honesty is best.

https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/faq-handling-awkward-questions.11642/#post-126103

I’d advise you to become theologically rock solid and deal with these hypothetical questions before you wade beyond biblical theory to biblical practice.

It is so much easier to have these controversial conversations when there’s no immediate advantage for you to believe this.

Truth is a great reason to have these conversations. Just be wise and educated.

Back