• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Conflicting views.

So, I'm relatively new to my research and I've been finding several different sources citing passages from the bible both for and against polygamy. My question is, how do you knows what to believe? Either way, society will be set against it. I'd just like to read some of y'all's opinion .

Read the scriptures, for what they say, in their context and then think about it logically. I've seen the same thing you speak about on many issues, people interpreting a passage a dozen different ways. But what is almost always the case is that a plain English reading will bear the truth.

Most of your anti-poly quotations from the NT rely on a bait and switch technique; for example, construing passages about divorce to be about poly or injunctions for elders to be for all Christians.

What has been said is excellent advice. I would add Psalms 119:160 ASV "The sum of thy word is truth; And every one of thy righteous ordinances endureth for ever."

Scripture says "the sum of thy word is truth" so it all has to be taken as a whole. Verses can't be cherry picked, and taken out of context without the end result being a distorted mess that won't make sense to anyone!

I have often looked at it like a puzzle, the pieces by themselves don't always make sense, but when they are all put together, you get the beautiful picture of biblical marriage, and how it relates to our own walk with our savior.

Last edited:
I recommend Clyde Pilkington, Jr.'s book, The Great Omission, available at studyshelf.com.

Also the book, Man and woman in biblical law by Tom Shipley.
Excellent book I've cited in various papers I've written...

My question is, how do you knows what to believe?

Make sure your heart is open to the truth. By that I do not mean follow your heart. I mean, make sure your heart is for God's truth no matter where it leads (even if it is the narrow path).

The Bible often interprets itself, so the more you know about one thing there easier it is to learn about other things.

Study both sides with an open mind. Try to determine which makes more sense. Which is most consistent with all of scripture? What are the problem areas and how can those be resolved?

Also, realize which side has the burden of proof. If I tell you that milking cows is against the will of God, the burden is for me to prove it, not for you to contradict it.

Scripture tells us everything that we need to know to be approved by God. So if polygamy is a sin, it should say so in scripture. Does it? If so, where? Where do other poeple think that it does, and does it really say what they are saying that it says?

If you have a specific thing that is nagging you or you can not seem to understand, feel free to post a specific question here. We love to discuss the Bible and what it says.

Best wishes and God bless you and your family and welcome to the forum!

Back