• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Control their tongue, control their head

NVIII

Seasoned Member
Male
It's an old concept, and I'm sure most of us already are well-aware of what is being perpetrated among us with the control of speech. We feel it in our everyday lives, but sometimes we don't realize the extent of the damage being done until it's too late, especially what goes on in the classroom and the delayed ramifications of that. Not too long ago I had a short, but eye-opening, conversation with a youngster who was genuinely concerned that I called an unknown person "he" instead of "they". I might as well have been speaking Greek. He just didn't understand. Here is a recent PragerU post addressing this psychological war. Of particular interest, watch til the end to hear the last one or two sentences.
What most of us may not be fully aware of is how many times this tyranny has been perpetrated among us or our ancestors, and what we have lost the ability to communicate or understand as a result. The Puritans even had a turn at this tyranny in their heyday, which is why most of us shudder at "vulgar speech" and make judgments on the user based on their vernacular, even though originally they were innocuous words, part of ordinary language.

Many of the biblical conundrums, I believe, are a result of this destruction of language. What was once easily understood is now mysterious or difficult to describe. This is why, in addition to studying the Word, I study my language, particularly the history of it. It won't take much of a dive into etymology to begin to realize that English today is a shadow of what it once was, torn by eons of psychological warfare just like what we are seeing today. The original meanings of words are not that special, but when you couple that with its usage today, especially in turns of phrase that no longer make sense, and begin make connections with other original meanings, slowly a light will begin to dawn. That first Aha! moment is like your first kiss. It'll ignite a passion.

Etymonline.com is a great resource for this. They recently developed a mobile app that accesses the same resources, and it's a wonderfully simple and free app. It's gotten to the point that I often find myself going to that app to look up a definition rather than trusting any modern dictionaries.

Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.
– George Orwell

1984. Part 1, Chapter 5. Syme to Winston. Syme works with Winston at the Ministry of Truth and specializes in language.

Take a look back at the word "infringed" in an 1820 dictionary; it was the strongest prohibition the Founders could write into the Second Amendment.

Then ponder the irony: the ONE, single item of property SPECIFICALLY enumerated in the entire Constitution that "shall not be infringed" is the first to fall. So what else CAN'T they take?

This is why the "dumbing down" and twisting of Scripture is so important, too. When people don't know the meaning of Words, they don't know the meaning of the Word, either.

No wonder "lawlessness abounds."

Many of the biblical conundrums, I believe, are a result of this destruction of language. What was once easily understood is now mysterious or difficult to describe. This is why, in addition to studying the Word, I study my language, particularly the history of it. It won't take much of a dive into etymology to begin to realize that English today is a shadow of what it once was, torn by eons of psychological warfare just like what we are seeing today. The original meanings of words are not that special, but when you couple that with its usage today, especially in turns of phrase that no longer make sense, and begin make connections with other original meanings, slowly a light will begin to dawn.

I think the number 1 book in the library of any student of the Bible should be an original Websters dictionary.

https://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/

The Puritans

They also say those who control history control the present. In many ways the Puritans remind me of the early church. I think much of our modern revulsion at them is because the satanists still hate them.

They also say those who control history control the present. In many ways the Puritans remind me of the early church. I think much of our modern revulsion at them is because the satanists still hate them.
I didn't know it was a thing until you just said it. I came to that conclusion independently. I was raised with Christian curriculum that glorified them, and up until about 4 months ago I retained that impression until I learned a little bit about their oppressive and unbiblical work, most notably in politics. I still know very little about it beyond what I referenced above about their crusade against vulgar speech, but enough to know they were briefly the victors who wrote their own history and they weren't the saints they painted themselves as.

I didn't know it was a thing until you just said it. I came to that conclusion independently. I was raised with Christian curriculum that glorified them, and up until about 4 months ago I retained that impression until I learned a little bit about their oppressive and unbiblical work, most notably in politics. I still know very little about it beyond what I referenced above about their crusade against vulgar speech, but enough to know they were briefly the victors who wrote their own history and they weren't the saints they painted themselves as.
Oh ya. Puritan or puritanical is a byword for anyone who espouses 'strict' morals. 20 years ago that meant anyone who opposed rampant fornication. These days that would apply to anyone to the right of Dylan Mulvaney. It is basically a slur against anyone who argues for any kind of holiness or standards of righteous behavior.

Not much different than Pharasee is used in Christian circles as a slur against anyone holding to a higher standard of Christian behavior. Puritan though is more related to sexual mores.

Last edited:
Probably the most pivotal moment in my life was realizing "lust" in Matt 5:28 didn't mean what I'd been taught it meant. Never realized the sheer amount of deception in the world til then.

Most of what people know is deception or deflection. Truth is extremely rare.

Last edited:
Probably the most pivotal moment in my life was realizing "lust" in Matt 5:28 didn't mean what I'd been taught it meant. Never realized the sheer amount of deception in the world til then.

Most of what people know is deception or deflection. Truth is extremely rare.
I have seen videos of people street evangelizing who were trying to guilt women with that verse! People play pretty loose in this modern world and want to make all commandments unisex. That just doesn't work, and I wish more people were held to the truth.
I get annoyed when Christians want to say that the way our family is living isn't their business. Yet scripture instructs believers to go to their brother and try to show him if he is sinning. If we are wrong it IS their business!

Back