• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cooking Tips for the Large Family

rockfox

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
Saw a comment in ladies only about missing the slow cookers as its not big enough anymore.

Get an electric turkey roaster. Does the same job, just a whole lot bigger.

Other things we've found very helpful for cooking at scale:
  • 3 & 8 gal stock pots
  • large stainless steel pans (also called hospitality pans; you see them at buffet's)
  • 20 quart Hobart mixer (best purchase ever)
  • cast iron griddle
Also don't forget to think outside the box. For example, pies don't have to be made in a small round pan; you can cook a whole lot more at once by making it in a large baking pan.

Any other tips about cooking utensils or handling planning and cooking for large families?

When my kids were growing up I had 10-15 every night for dinner. The stock pot was my best friend in the kitchen. But invest in a commercial grade they don't burn as easily and last longer. The grill was my other saving grace. I have had a hard time adjusting to cooking for 1 so most of the time I don't cook anymore unless the kids come home.
I miss having a family to cook for! Or and casseroles! We never ran out of food and no one went hungry.... ever

Saw a comment in ladies only about missing the slow cookers as its not big enough anymore.

Get an electric turkey roaster. Does the same job, just a whole lot bigger.

Other things we've found very helpful for cooking at scale:
  • 3 & 8 gal stock pots
  • large stainless steel pans (also called hospitality pans; you see them at buffet's)
  • 20 quart Hobart mixer (best purchase ever)
  • cast iron griddle
Also don't forget to think outside the box. For example, pies don't have to be made in a small round pan; you can cook a whole lot more at once by making it in a large baking pan.

Any other tips about cooking utensils or handling planning and cooking for large families?
Thanks for the tips! I do have both a Crock-Pot and a turkey roaster but never thought of the turkey roaster as basically a huge crockpot lol :)

The electric turkey roaster is a great idea. We actually use a wood cook stove for almost all of our food prep.
We are on a power plan that makes electricity affordable during off peak hours. I often use a few electric appliances in the summer time. I need to get another cord for a large (16 inch ) electric skillet, as it handy for reheating leftovers, or making some meals without the old Majestic.
On the other list that @rockfox shared

*3 & 8 gal stock pots.
We have a 4 gal.

*large stainless steel pans (also called hospitality pans; you see them at buffet's)

We have four stainless steel roasting pans with covers that are handy for roasting meat, or making casseroles, cakes, or even steaming large quantities of greens on the stove top.

*20 quart Hobart mixer (best purchase ever)
We got one of those in a trade summer 2012. I use it for bread, and the batter mixing paddle churns a big bowl of cultured heavy cream into butter in less than 30 seconds! (Hubby has been enjoying a little hash browns with his butter! Lol)

*cast iron griddle
We have many cast iron frying pans....and I use them daily.....usually more than once!

Great suggestions!

I like to make a ton of something, and put some away for my guys lunches.
Here it gets warm enough to take frozen buritos on the dash of the truck in the morning, and they are burn you hot with melted cheese at noon.
Handy!

30 second churn; you must have Jersey cream.

Actually I think our stockpots are 4 not 3, but to get 4 gallons in them you have to go to the rim which isn't very practical.

Definitely recommend cast iron pans. Once you season them well with lard they are more non-stick than the toxic 'non-stick' pans sold in stores. But I called out the griddle specifically because you can do a whole lot more eggs or pancakes or whathaveyou on a griddle than even a very large frying pan.

30 second churn; you must have Jersey cream.
Sheep milk and a cream separator.;)

Actually I think our stockpots are 4 not 3, but to get 4 gallons in them you have to go to the rim which isn't very practical.
Very true. If you don't stay at least a half gallon under capacity you have mucho messes. Wood stoves are self cleaning, but it is best to use that feature in the summertime when the windows are open to let the smoke out! :D
Definitely recommend cast iron pans. Once you season them well with lard they are more non-stick than the toxic 'non-stick' pans sold in stores. But I called out the griddle specifically because you can do a whole lot more eggs or pancakes or whathaveyou on a griddle than even a very large frying pan.
I often have all three of our largest cast iron skillets on the stove at the same time. There is a 10 inch, 12 inch and a monster 16 inch. I end up wishing often that I had a larger stove top! Lol

They are far better then no stick, or stainless steel. I am careful not to leave some foods in them for long (spaghetti sauce or gravy for example) as some foods pick up flavors after things cool.

Air fryer...or a team of them...or if they now make a larger one??? A single one cooks for 2-3 and are not only a time saver but healthier. If you have the counter space, they should have a permanent spot just like your toaster.

Smoker. Do I need to say more? We even use it in the middle of our killer summers.

Oh and our instapots!! They are electric but save so much heat in the house during the summer. We use them for so many things, perfect hard boiled eggs, rice, soup, stew, roast, stroganoff. And I have heard they make a good cake or cheesecake too. I just don’t think an 8” cake is enough for our family.

And we dry a lot of food that really helps feed our “big” family. Jerky and dried fruit is expensive but if you get fruit and meat on sale and dry it yourself you can save a ton!

Back