• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Corporate Christianity

Verifyveritas76

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
This was a Facebook post I just finished after a conversation with a friend regarding Corporate Christianity

Corporate Christianity. Is the “church” experience that we all think of as Normal Christianity, really anything like First Century Christianity?

Below are some responses I gave to a conversation in another post regarding New Testament giving and lies taught as First Century Christianity.

Re: New Testament giving and support of the clergy.

The gift of the church at Philippi was just that. A gift, a free will offering. Nothing wrong with a free will or love offering as that is a New Testament form of giving.

As to the earthly things that the Apostles were entitled to, Ive yet to see any scripture where the Apostles utilized this “power” for themselves or for their own consumption. In fact the passage you’re referring to in 1 Cor 9 specifically states that they have not used this power, neither have they written that it should be done. 2 Cor 12:17 states that even the people that Paul sent had not utilized this “power”. Beyond that, Paul associates this “power” as an Apostle level power. IF none exist today then this is a “power” or authority that doesnt exist.

The other mentions of a gift of this sort was associated with the church of Macedonia and Achaia. This gift was freely given, was a collection for the poor saints at Jerusalem who were experiencing a terrible famine and Paul used their liberal contribution to encourage other assemblies to contribute a free will gift also. Nothing coerced and not for his own personal use or maintenance. Paul was a dispensary, not a beneficiary. Even at that, Paul characterized this as robbing other churches for Jerusalem’s benefit and said it was an experiment in 2 Cor 9:13

In contrast, Corporate Christianity today operates on a doctrine of Baalim model which was specifically hated by all the Apostles and condemned in every instance noted. Paul goes so far as to note in 2 Thess 3:6-14 that he has never walked disorderly and defines that as eating any mans bread for naught. They worked night and day so that they wouldn’t be a burden on anyone, not because they didnt have the power, but because they were making an example that everyone with or without this Apostolic authority should operate the same way. Even an apostle had to work with his own hands to provide his own bread instead of mooching off of the flock. Verse 11 states that there were some walking disorderly among them, working not at all but are busybodies. (This is the exact justification thats given today for the “vocation” of the minister). Paul then reiterates that with quietness they work and eat their own bread. If anyone in the assembly doesnt obey this word, then that man is to be noted and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Corporate Christianity has made a status symbol out of something Paul said they should be ashamed of.

This same concept is repeated throughout the New Testament in familiar passages like Pauls letters to Timothy and Titus qualifying bishops and elders as ones not greedy of filthy lucre (someone else’s money by devious means). 1 Thess 2:5-6 where he talks about not using flattering words and a cloak of coveteousness so that they weren’t a burden on the flock there, 1 Thess 4:11 work with your own hands so that you may walk honestly, 1 Peter 5:2 and 2 Peter 2:3 making merchandise of the flock through coveteousness, 2 Peter 2:15 these men have gone astray from the right way and following the way of Balaam who loved the wages of unrighteousness (for his religious service) 3John 1:7 they went forth taking nothing of the Gentiles. Jude 1:11 ran greedily after the error of Balaam for a reward

As to truths that are being avoided, or lies that are being taught, I’ll start with some easy ones.

Tithe. Tithe (as translated) is specifically the inheritance of the Levites because they served as an intermediary to offer sacrifices. No need for an intermediary today and no sacrifices needed but this is taught as a doctrine today without any New Testament scriptural support or early church historical backing. “Pastors” today use the flock as merchandise utilizing the idea of tenthing and are just repeating what the Levites did by becoming ravening wolves. It served its purpose under the Old Covenant but is one of the primary changes to the law due to a reestablished Melchizedek style priesthood. Every man is king and priest over his own household. What need does he have for someone to offer for him? He has direct access to the High Priest.

Drinking Alcohol. The lie that says that believers aren’t supposed to partake of alcoholic beverages is one of the easiest to disprove. Drunkenness is the sin (except in a couple of notable exceptions). Not drinking. Ive personally sat in a meeting with a pastor and deacons where they actually admitted that drinking isn’t a sin but they cant tell that publicly because someone might abuse it. Hmmm.

The Lords supper. Everybody freaks out if the unleavened bread is deviated from in the slightest, but since prohibition in the 1920’s its politically incorrect to offer wine with the observance. But its been handed down by “faithful” men so.. . . The wafers that are passed around are based on the Roman Catholic example. Nobody actually uses ma’atza. There’s a world of difference just between those two. Bottom line is we offer a bastardized Lords supper as an example of a “New Testament” assembly.

Ordination. New Testament ordination was not convening a “college” of cardinals. Yet in the vast majority of IBF thats exactly what’s done. RCC ordination! Biblical ordination was always performed by the members and elders of the local assembly or personally by an apostle.

Substitutionary Priesthood. Most denominations and pastors will give lip service to the idea of the priesthood of the believer under the New Covenant, however their clergy/laity structure, their overbearing, unbiblical “authority” by fiat (compared to authority by influence) the liturgy and face forward mentality (as compared to a biblical example of liturgy 1 Cor 14:26&29 and corroborated by primitive church believers into the 15 &1600s) and their expectation to be supported by a Levitical ordinance show the truth behind what they actually believe about the priesthood of the believer and their role as vicar of Christ on earth.

I could say more but that’ll give you something to think about.

So if the observance of Christianity can be done wrong, couldn't the observance of Torah also be done wrong, to a certain extent.
Read Judges. Doing what is right in our own eyes is ill advised.

God's Law is simple. Man complicates it. Just read and do...

Consider another way: You give your young son a rule. 'Make your bed.'

If he ignores the rule, what do you do? Correction? Let it go?

If he makes it to the best of his ability, but not to your standard, what do you do? Punish? No! Encourage? Yes. Even help? Probably, depending on his heart atitude.

If he knows and is fully capable of the standard but gets really sloppy or slovenly? Now what?

Let’s not turn this one into a Torah thread pleeeeease.
Got it...

Move previous couple comments boiling over from different thread into that discussion.

Blessings

The point being that since the church, corporate Christianity, which stems from man's efforts can't get it right, what makes one think that any other attempt would be better at it?

The Lords supper. Everybody freaks out if the unleavened bread is deviated from in the slightest, but since prohibition in the 1920’s its politically incorrect to offer wine with the observance. But its been handed down by “faithful” men so.. . . The wafers that are passed around are based on the Roman Catholic example. Nobody actually uses ma’atza. There’s a world of difference just between those two. Bottom line is we offer a bastardized Lords supper as an example of a “New Testament” assembly.

Modern churches get the Lord's supper wrong in two bigger ways than that. First, it was a weekly observance. Most now do it monthly, quarterly, or yearly. Second, they called it a love feast. It was a full on pot-luck meal; not a little snack.

Read Judges. Doing what is right in our own eyes is ill advised.

This is the argument used against free men of God to try and enslave them to human rulers: kings, pastors and popes. But look at the original context..

In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

That wasn't a condemnation. God made it quite clear later He didn't actually want them to have a king, that the desire for a human king was a rejection of God. So too today He wants us to be lead by the Holy Spirit, not by human institutions. Our faith must be based in Christ, not in our membership to any particular human organization.

And this is in part why I don’t go to church.... unless it’s to look for the lost sheep of Israel.

I generally am not wanted there because I ask questions and bring my KJV.....

This was a Facebook post I just finished after a conversation with a friend regarding Corporate Christianity

Corporate Christianity. Is the “church” experience that we all think of as Normal Christianity, really anything like First Century Christianity?

Below are some responses I gave to a conversation in another post regarding New Testament giving and lies taught as First Century Christianity.

Re: New Testament giving and support of the clergy.

The gift of the church at Philippi was just that. A gift, a free will offering. Nothing wrong with a free will or love offering as that is a New Testament form of giving.

As to the earthly things that the Apostles were entitled to, Ive yet to see any scripture where the Apostles utilized this “power” for themselves or for their own consumption. In fact the passage you’re referring to in 1 Cor 9 specifically states that they have not used this power, neither have they written that it should be done. 2 Cor 12:17 states that even the people that Paul sent had not utilized this “power”. Beyond that, Paul associates this “power” as an Apostle level power. IF none exist today then this is a “power” or authority that doesnt exist.

The other mentions of a gift of this sort was associated with the church of Macedonia and Achaia. This gift was freely given, was a collection for the poor saints at Jerusalem who were experiencing a terrible famine and Paul used their liberal contribution to encourage other assemblies to contribute a free will gift also. Nothing coerced and not for his own personal use or maintenance. Paul was a dispensary, not a beneficiary. Even at that, Paul characterized this as robbing other churches for Jerusalem’s benefit and said it was an experiment in 2 Cor 9:13

In contrast, Corporate Christianity today operates on a doctrine of Baalim model which was specifically hated by all the Apostles and condemned in every instance noted. Paul goes so far as to note in 2 Thess 3:6-14 that he has never walked disorderly and defines that as eating any mans bread for naught. They worked night and day so that they wouldn’t be a burden on anyone, not because they didnt have the power, but because they were making an example that everyone with or without this Apostolic authority should operate the same way. Even an apostle had to work with his own hands to provide his own bread instead of mooching off of the flock. Verse 11 states that there were some walking disorderly among them, working not at all but are busybodies. (This is the exact justification thats given today for the “vocation” of the minister). Paul then reiterates that with quietness they work and eat their own bread. If anyone in the assembly doesnt obey this word, then that man is to be noted and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Corporate Christianity has made a status symbol out of something Paul said they should be ashamed of.

This same concept is repeated throughout the New Testament in familiar passages like Pauls letters to Timothy and Titus qualifying bishops and elders as ones not greedy of filthy lucre (someone else’s money by devious means). 1 Thess 2:5-6 where he talks about not using flattering words and a cloak of coveteousness so that they weren’t a burden on the flock there, 1 Thess 4:11 work with your own hands so that you may walk honestly, 1 Peter 5:2 and 2 Peter 2:3 making merchandise of the flock through coveteousness, 2 Peter 2:15 these men have gone astray from the right way and following the way of Balaam who loved the wages of unrighteousness (for his religious service) 3John 1:7 they went forth taking nothing of the Gentiles. Jude 1:11 ran greedily after the error of Balaam for a reward

As to truths that are being avoided, or lies that are being taught, I’ll start with some easy ones.

Tithe. Tithe (as translated) is specifically the inheritance of the Levites because they served as an intermediary to offer sacrifices. No need for an intermediary today and no sacrifices needed but this is taught as a doctrine today without any New Testament scriptural support or early church historical backing. “Pastors” today use the flock as merchandise utilizing the idea of tenthing and are just repeating what the Levites did by becoming ravening wolves. It served its purpose under the Old Covenant but is one of the primary changes to the law due to a reestablished Melchizedek style priesthood. Every man is king and priest over his own household. What need does he have for someone to offer for him? He has direct access to the High Priest.

Drinking Alcohol. The lie that says that believers aren’t supposed to partake of alcoholic beverages is one of the easiest to disprove. Drunkenness is the sin (except in a couple of notable exceptions). Not drinking. Ive personally sat in a meeting with a pastor and deacons where they actually admitted that drinking isn’t a sin but they cant tell that publicly because someone might abuse it. Hmmm.

Ordination. New Testament ordination was not convening a “college” of cardinals. Yet in the vast majority of IBF thats exactly what’s done. RCC ordination! Biblical ordination was always performed by the members and elders of the local assembly or personally by an apostle.

Substitutionary Priesthood. Most denominations and pastors will give lip service to the idea of the priesthood of the believer under the New Covenant, however their clergy/laity structure, their overbearing, unbiblical “authority” by fiat (compared to authority by influence) the liturgy and face forward mentality (as compared to a biblical example of liturgy 1 Cor 14:26&29 and corroborated by primitive church believers into the 15 &1600s) and their expectation to be supported by a Levitical ordinance show the truth behind what they actually believe about the priesthood of the believer and their role as vicar of Christ on earth.

I could say more but that’ll give you something to think about.
is why

@Verifyveritas76 I agree with your view of the tithe. They have completely fabricated their teaching on that point in order to get consistent cash flow. That is an evil thing.

I am not sure I would say no pastor/elder or apostle should ever receive a salary or consistent financial payment for their work in teaching. Maybe that is not what your saying. Could you clarify if you think that should never happen?

This is the argument used against free men of God to try and enslave them to human rulers: kings, pastors and popes. But look at the original context..
Judges 17:3-6 KJV
[3] And when he had restored the eleven hundred shekels of silver to his mother, his mother said, I had wholly dedicated the silver unto the Lord from my hand for my son, to make a graven image and a molten image: now therefore I will restore it unto thee. [4] Yet he restored the money unto his mother; and his mother took two hundred shekels of silver, and gave them to the founder, who made thereof a graven image and a molten image: and they were in the house of Micah. [5] And the man Micah had an house of gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest. [6] In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

It seems, by the context, to be a bad thing.

@rockfox said:
“In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
That wasn't a condemnation. God made it quite clear later He didn't actually want them to have a king, that the desire for a human king was a rejection of God. So too today He wants us to be lead by the Holy Spirit, not by human institutions. Our faith must be based in Christ, not in our membership to any particular human organization.

I think that it might be also translated “every man followed his conscience.” Whether he did right or wrong would depend on his own morals.

Open to correction by the people knowledgeable in Hebrew.

Modern churches get the Lord's supper wrong in two bigger ways than that. First, it was a weekly observance. Most now do it monthly, quarterly, or yearly. Second, they called it a love feast. It was a full on pot-luck meal; not a little snack.

You made my point exactly. @Cap appears to be trying to find every reason not to be obedient to Torah or Christianity. His latest is 'who is the judge?' My point is 'do something according to the Scripture. We can't ignore or write off Torah because we don't like it, don't understand it, or don't agree with it. God is the judge and if we are seeking Him and trying, He will guide.

Now, not going Torah discussion. That (and this reply) should be in another thread where that wrestling match has been going on too long, though reasonably peaceable.

As to Christianity, I believe there are many good folk there who genuinely mean well and love the Lord, but blind.d to swaths of Scripture. I was. Can't fault them, can only ask hard questions and pray that one will begin to tease the recesses of their mind.

It does seem God is doing something amazing in our day be cause the awakening, though messy, is very broad cutting across all denominations and demographs.

Last edited:
You made my point exactly. @Cap appears to be trying to find every reason not to be obedient to Torah or Christianity. His latest is 'who is the judge?' My point is 'do something according to the Scripture. We can't ignore or write off Torah because we don't like it, don't understand it, or don't agree with it. God is the judge and if we are seeking Him and trying, He will guide.

Now, not going Torah discussion. That (and this reply) should be in another thread where that wrestling match has been going on too long, though reasonably peaceable.

As to Christianity, I believe there are many good folk there who genuinely mean well and love the Lord, but blind.d to swaths of Scripture. I was. Can't fault them, can only ask hard questions and pray that one will begin to tease the recesses of their mind.

It does seem God is doing something amazing in our day be cause the awakening, though messy, is very broad cutting across all denominations and demographs.

I would prefer you not bring your judgement in regards to how my faith 'appears' to you as one who thinks they have figured it out, then make your statements about Torah here and then say it's not suppose to be here and move on.

What amazes me is how defensive Torah people become when this subject is brought up. And from the looks of it there are more who believe that way here than not, which makes sense with all the disagreements about this one subject.

I seriously think there is tremendous gulf between the two understandings and people who others pretend to be civil to one another don't really have anything in common because it eventually breaks down.

@Verifyveritas76 I agree with your view of the tithe. They have completely fabricated their teaching on that point in order to get consistent cash flow. That is an evil thing.

I am not sure I would say no pastor/elder or apostle should ever receive a salary or consistent financial payment for their work in teaching. Maybe that is not what your saying. Could you clarify if you think that should never happen?
Disclaimer: A free will offering does not follow under this category and is the only New Testament form of Giving.

After going thru the church epistles (Some of Acts, Romans - Jude) specifically focused on this topic, I can find no place where even apostles received a regular salary for any reason. Ive also been unable to prove that free will offerings sent to them were used for their benefit, rather, it seems that funds received were used for others who were in need. Multiple places Paul says that he has always worked with his own hands to support himself and those with him. He does indicate several places that the “power” to receive carnal things in exchange for his spiritual teaching is his by right, but immediately counteracts that power by saying that he hasn’t used it, wont use it and no one he’s sent is supposed to use it. Every man of the assembly is to work with his own hands and eat his own bread. No exceptions.

Further, the idea that there is supposed to be this separated class in the assembly that lives from the gifts at the altar is directly tied to the Levitical priesthood model. From the times of Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Zechariah especially, the priest class was regarded as robbers and ravening wolves in multiple places. Paul even refers to a freewill gift as robbing another church. Is it any wonder that he instructs, Let him that stole, steal no more but rather let him labor with his hands.

There are two groups of men that are listed in scripture as being supported in a regular salary like this. Levites, by right of inheritance for their role as ministers of sacrifice and atonement, and Balaam, who exchanged religious services for honor and money. After revisiting Balaam’s references in the Old Testament, examining his mentions in the New Testament as well as the perspective and condemnation by Paul, James, John, Peter and Jude toward this perspective, I personally have come away from this study with a visceral loathing and absolute repugnance and contempt for anyone operating in this format. I’m really not sure what to do with it as I try to be gracious (without success sometimes) to those of dissenting opinions, but I now see this to be the doctrine of Balaam which is based on coveteousness and it utilizes an unbiblical coercion and fleecing of the flock to support a man or class of men who don’t wanna provide for themselves and justify their walking disorderly by their being what Paul calls busybodies. Bud Searcy comes to mind from Old Yeller. These men were to be shunned and shamed, not elevated, enabled and honored.

No doubt, there are many men with good intentions who are simply living as they’ve been taught and have a heart for ministry. I have multiple people in my close family that fit this profile. They would be appalled to hear that they are the (ravening) wolves in sheeps clothing. What they’ve done has been sin out of ignorance and preference. What are they gonna do now though? Their entire existence is supported off of someone else’s labor and even if they dismiss it they’ll be held accountable. Jer 23 is pretty specific about how harsh their reward will be.

One of the passages that I found was about what I call the council of Miletus. Acts 20 Nobody’s ever heard about this council though you’ve read the passage many times no doubt. Paul calls the overseers and elders to Miletus to give some last instructions before going to Jerusalem. Among them he says that he has coveted no mans gold, silver or apparel, has worked with his own hands to support him and his and has given them this example to live by. That they are to labor to support the weak, (not to be the weak that needs support). Earlier he states that after he’s gone that grievous wolves will creep into the assembly and wont spare the flock. This leads me to believe that every overseer and elder under his watch earned and ate his own bread.

Both his instructions to Timothy and Titus include the stipulation that a bishop or deacon must not be greedy of filthy lucre (money gained by unrighteous or devious means)

The book The Drama of the Lost Disciples (which I highly recommend) also confirms this principle as it recounts the efforts that Paul invested in Britain. An Abbey (seminary) that he fostered had above the four gates around the campus the phrase known as the Rule of Paul. If a man will not work, neither let him eat.

What to do if you’re part of this? Um . . . Repent. It was an unintentional sin. Become a sheep dog instead of a wolf. Work with your own hands and eat your own bread. The difficulty you face now in transition is to be preferred to the punishment if you persist.

A missionary being supported by a regular investment of a freewill gift is about the only caveat I see to this, but that model still is not the model given or exampled by Paul. He received free will offerings on occasion but that was in addition to his own income, it wasn’t his income. This allowed him to further the ministry, not fill his belly.

If I’ve come across harsh, I’ll apologize now. This is a rough subject for me. Peace love and lots of fuzzy stuff.

The KJV has Paul learning tent making to support himself. This always bothered me because that seemed like such a minimum wage occupation. Something that people would have their slaves do, and it would take a lot of space to do it in.
It was with great pleasure that I read in the translation from Aramaic that he was a saddle maker. Same word, you just had to deduce the meaning from the context.
Saddle making being a much higher skill and probably in greater demand, so the remuneration should be greater. After all, traveling does cost money and he did a fair bit of it.

The KJV has Paul learning tent making to support himself. This always bothered me because that seemed like such a minimum wage occupation. Something that people would have their slaves do, and it would take a lot of space to do it in.
It was with great pleasure that I read in the translation from Aramaic that he was a saddle maker. Same word, you just had to deduce the meaning from the context.
Saddle making being a much higher skill and probably in greater demand, so the remuneration should be greater. After all, traveling does cost money and he did a fair bit of it.

One of the interesting facts in the book I mentioned above is that we know that his step brother (if not his real brother) Rufus Pudens was a Senator in Rome. We know from scripture that Paul was a freeborn Roman citizen. I’m gonna guess that he had a little bit of family money available to him as well. And he worked his tail off.

I’d agree with the first part, and agree that the love feast was a full on pot-luck meal. Not sure that they were/are the same thing.

Since we’ve been attending our Church on the Couch, I’m not exactly certain how I’m gonna put this into effect. Quite a few things going through my mind on this. I wanna get it right. Still working that out in my mind.

We do participate in regular love feasts with other believers we meet with and having conversations with them re Lords Supper/Table.

Disclaimer: A free will offering does not follow under this category and is the only New Testament form of Giving.

After going thru the church epistles (Some of Acts, Romans - Jude) specifically focused on this topic, I can find no place where even apostles received a regular salary for any reason. Ive also been unable to prove that free will offerings sent to them were used for their benefit, rather, it seems that funds received were used for others who were in need. Multiple places Paul says that he has always worked with his own hands to support himself and those with him. He does indicate several places that the “power” to receive carnal things in exchange for his spiritual teaching is his by right, but immediately counteracts that power by saying that he hasn’t used it, wont use it and no one he’s sent is supposed to use it. Every man of the assembly is to work with his own hands and eat his own bread. No exceptions.

Further, the idea that there is supposed to be this separated class in the assembly that lives from the gifts at the altar is directly tied to the Levitical priesthood model. From the times of Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Zechariah especially, the priest class was regarded as robbers and ravening wolves in multiple places. Paul even refers to a freewill gift as robbing another church. Is it any wonder that he instructs, Let him that stole, steal no more but rather let him labor with his hands.

There are two groups of men that are listed in scripture as being supported in a regular salary like this. Levites, by right of inheritance for their role as ministers of sacrifice and atonement, and Balaam, who exchanged religious services for honor and money. After revisiting Balaam’s references in the Old Testament, examining his mentions in the New Testament as well as the perspective and condemnation by Paul, James, John, Peter and Jude toward this perspective, I personally have come away from this study with a visceral loathing and absolute repugnance and contempt for anyone operating in this format. I’m really not sure what to do with it as I try to be gracious (without success sometimes) to those of dissenting opinions, but I now see this to be the doctrine of Balaam which is based on coveteousness and it utilizes an unbiblical coercion and fleecing of the flock to support a man or class of men who don’t wanna provide for themselves and justify their walking disorderly by their being what Paul calls busybodies. Bud Searcy comes to mind from Old Yeller. These men were to be shunned and shamed, not elevated, enabled and honored.

No doubt, there are many men with good intentions who are simply living as they’ve been taught and have a heart for ministry. I have multiple people in my close family that fit this profile. They would be appalled to hear that they are the (ravening) wolves in sheeps clothing. What they’ve done has been sin out of ignorance and preference. What are they gonna do now though? Their entire existence is supported off of someone else’s labor and even if they dismiss it they’ll be held accountable. Jer 23 is pretty specific about how harsh their reward will be.

One of the passages that I found was about what I call the council of Miletus. Acts 20 Nobody’s ever heard about this council though you’ve read the passage many times no doubt. Paul calls the overseers and elders to Miletus to give some last instructions before going to Jerusalem. Among them he says that he has coveted no mans gold, silver or apparel, has worked with his own hands to support him and his and has given them this example to live by. That they are to labor to support the weak, (not to be the weak that needs support). Earlier he states that after he’s gone that grievous wolves will creep into the assembly and wont spare the flock. This leads me to believe that every overseer and elder under his watch earned and ate his own bread.

Both his instructions to Timothy and Titus include the stipulation that a bishop or deacon must not be greedy of filthy lucre (money gained by unrighteous or devious means)

The book The Drama of the Lost Disciples (which I highly recommend) also confirms this principle as it recounts the efforts that Paul invested in Britain. An Abbey (seminary) that he fostered had above the four gates around the campus the phrase known as the Rule of Paul. If a man will not work, neither let him eat.

What to do if you’re part of this? Um . . . Repent. It was an unintentional sin. Become a sheep dog instead of a wolf. Work with your own hands and eat your own bread. The difficulty you face now in transition is to be preferred to the punishment if you persist.

A missionary being supported by a regular investment of a freewill gift is about the only caveat I see to this, but that model still is not the model given or exampled by Paul. He received free will offerings on occasion but that was in addition to his own income, it wasn’t his income. This allowed him to further the ministry, not fill his belly.

If I’ve come across harsh, I’ll apologize now. This is a rough subject for me. Peace love and lots of fuzzy stuff.
I agree with the overall gist of this post, brother. I just want to add that, while there are limited examples of "paid clergy" in scripture, I'm not sure I see a prohibition either. If any group of believers wants to get together and support someone financially to perform certain duties of organization, etc...is it a violation of a biblical law or edict, or just a violation of principle?

Back