• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Court permits Israeli man to take a second wife

It is interesting that they jail you in Isreal if the man does not accept a divorce request from his wife.

It is interesting that they jail you in Isreal if the man does not accept a divorce request from his wife.
Unfortunately Judaism is very matriarcal and at odda with the Torah with the women ruling the family....go to a jewish home...oy! So im not surprised that theae kind of things make it into law in Israel. However, its a good first step!

In the old days the beit din (religious courts) could beat you if you didn't grant your wife a divorce.
They would try various levels of sanctions starting with bans from trading in the community, etc. and in the end if the guy was still refusing they would beat him until he signed the gett. This is only in situations where the wife deserved a gett (i.e. he wasn't sleeping with her any more, he wouldn't provide for the family, etc).

A state religious court in Haifa recently made an extraordinary ruling, permitting a man who was denied a divorce by his estranged wife to remarry – while still legally married to his first wife.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/241339
Last year a Jerusalem beit din also allowed a rosh-yeshiva (leader of religious school) to take a 2nd wife because his first wife was barren. I think @FollowingHim posted a link here about that story.

Also, in Israel, many of the Bedouin families in Judah are polygamous. The social workers know it because sometimes all the wives apply for state aid so the welfare section ignores the "polygamy is illegal" and just designates the additional wives as "dependent family members".
Not to paint a negative picture of the Bedouins as leaching off the state only; they actually have fairly high numbers of volunteers to the Israeli army (only Jews are required by law to serve; Muslim and Christian citizens are exempt).

Unfortunately Judaism is very matriarcal and at odda with the Torah with the women ruling the family....go to a jewish home...oy! So im not surprised that theae kind of things make it into law in Israel. However, its a good first step!
Depends on the family and their level of observance don't you think? "Conservative Jewish families" (i.e. women rabbis and such, properly called "Reform Judaism" in UK), yeah totally.
Orthodox I don't think so unless their Slavik culturally. Though the dynamic changes some when it's a Yeshivah boy family; husband just studies all day forever at Yeshivah and wife earns the support for the family. I can kind of understand why the dynamic can get confusing in those scenarios where wife becomes bread-winner. I'd love to see a Moroccan or Yemini Jewish wife get uppity with her husband...
OK maybe I wouldn't love to see...

Back