• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Curiosity just wondering

Scoop

Real Person*
Male
Can anyone on this forum please tell me of a church that they have attended or a home church or any other christian gathering of that nature that accepts plural families? Anyone anywhere, I just need to know for the sake of my own curiosity. I know that its certainly rare, I'm just tooling around what I'm going to do to maintain a relationship with believers in the future. Just anyone thats not mormon.

Within many Messianic and Hebraic circles, there are fellowships that believe and/or accept plural marriage as a valid application of Scripture. Our fellowship is accepting, though no one practices at this point. I expect eventually the Father will put a second wife in one or more of several families open to it, then we'll see if the practical acceptance follows the theoretical acceptance...

The Sabbath fellowship that I currently attend is accepting of it.

Our family has a wee fellowship with another family.
We practice it.

I should have elaborated more. I have a two fold purpose for the question. We would like to see if theres any way that we can find fellowship close to our current location, but also we are open to moving if it truly becomes unfeasible to find a place to worship here when/if the time comes. I know we can do alot at home but I'd like to do my homework ahead of time and see if theres a way to build a support group, especially for my wife/wives and children.

I should have elaborated more. I have a two fold purpose for the question. We would like to see if theres any way that we can find fellowship close to our current location, but also we are open to moving if it truly becomes unfeasible to find a place to worship here when/if the time comes. I know we can do alot at home but I'd like to do my homework ahead of time and see if theres a way to build a support group, especially for my wife/wives and children.

There is unlikely to be an established group near you.. But in the grand scheme of things this isn't the first issue I'd look at when picking a church.

There is unlikely to be an established group near you.. But in the grand scheme of things this isn't the first issue I'd look at when picking a church.
At this point, brother @Scoop, I'd say you are putting the cart far before the horse. There's a huge difference between the realization of polygyny and the reality of polygyny.

I'd liken it to a lottery ticket. With a lottery ticket, you realize there's the potential for a great financial reward. You can hold the ticket in your hands, look at it and dream about all the potential improvements to your life it will make. You can make plans for room additions, new properties, cars, clothes, all of it. You can even argue with your wife and kids over who should get what or buy what. You can worry yourself and stay awake at night wondering how you are going to spend your millions. But, the chances that lottery ticket will ever be a jackpot winning ticket are slim.

There's been a study of lottery jackpot winners, though. The destruction and death that comes with it is very real. Why? The winners were never really prepared for the REALITY of a winning ticket. They didn't make preparations and often lived undisciplined lives that were antithetical to proper, responsible management of surplus resources. They were rich, but living with a poor man's mindset.

I'm a monogamist, so you don't have to take my advice. I'm just recommending that your next step be the watering phase of your journey. The seed's been planted. Now let it take strong root and become established in truth, and truth in action.

The lottery is hardly a fitting analogy, it’s a simple realization of the truth. In every instance that I have limited God in my imagination he has dumbfounded me in the way he has worked things out. This isn’t my first rodeo (in life). I’m fairly used to people underestimating God on my behalf as well. I don’t have to do much but prepare for what I was called to do and rest in the confidence of Gods word and his will. God will water the ground as I walk in the direction I’m supposed to go. While polygyny is not the focus of my Christian walk, it stands to reason that for me and my family to find fellowship inside that reality, it’s actually a good starting point if polygyny is the endgame. Why situate myself among people that will ultimately ask me to leave in the end? Of course the surrounding structure of how that fellowship takes place is just as important, but I don’t see that as a false starting point, that just gives more credence to the view that this is some kind of novelty, it’s simply marriage.

The lottery is hardly a fitting analogy, it’s a simple realization of the truth. In every instance that I have limited God in my imagination he has dumbfounded me in the way he has worked things out. This isn’t my first rodeo (in life). I’m fairly used to people underestimating God on my behalf as well. I don’t have to do much but prepare for what I was called to do and rest in the confidence of Gods word and his will. God will water the ground as I walk in the direction I’m supposed to go. While polygyny is not the focus of my Christian walk, it stands to reason that for me and my family to find fellowship inside that reality, it’s actually a good starting point if polygyny is the endgame. Why situate myself among people that will ultimately ask me to leave in the end? Of course the surrounding structure of how that fellowship takes place is just as important, but I don’t see that as a false starting point, that just gives more credence to the view that this is some kind of novelty, it’s simply marriage.
I may have misunderstood your overall premise in this post. I was understanding you wanting to find a fellowship that would accept not only polygyny but you in a polygynous setup. If that was not your inquiry, then I apologize.

But, my sentiment is still the same. Look around. Dig around this site. Many are the men who said they would be the exception. The exception is the exception, though. I'm not trying to limit God, or your calling. I'm not saying you need to be a Superman to live polygyny. I'm just saying that the realization of polygyny is not the same as the path to reality, much less living the reality. It's just my thoughts. Take it or leave it.

And, it may be simply marriage, but in this society, it's not simple.

All of the groups are basically very small.

I would hang around this site for a while and go to a few retreats and eventually you will sync more with some people than others.

If you were going to move somewhere to be with more acceptable Christian fellowship and you wanted a polygamy friendly group, you will probably want to move closer to whoever becomes your better friends.

We have thought of doing this occasionally in the past.

I’ve heard of a couple recently in South Georgia. Another in Florida. Our little home assembly has mostly accepted it though it is still a work in progress. One family is somewhat against it, though it hasn’t come up in a confrontational manner when they were attending. I know that the topic has been discussed without me there, and that most of them are accepting that it’s biblical, though one guy is still trying to wrap his mind around why anyone would want more than one

I think there are lots of men who have superficial thoughts about how they'd like it, but in my deep discussions with men over the years, I generally discover that well more than 95% would NEVER really want more than one wife.

Back