• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Daddy's Girl: Courtship And A Father's Rights

A

Anonymous

I've been Daddy's girl from Day One. My first word was "Dada." I've always wanted to do what Daddy was doing, go where Daddy was going, read what Daddy was reading, say what Daddy was saying. We have the same sense of humor, preferences, pet peeves, strengths and weaknesses--even the same allergies. Little wonder people call me "Daddy's Little Clone."

But does this exhaust the ways in which I might be reckoned "Daddy's girl"? Beyond being an X-chromosome donor, may we think of the "-'s" in "Daddy's" in the possessive sense, and affirm with legitimacy that Daddy is my owner? That "my heart belongs to Daddy" is certainly true. But do daughters, per se, belong to their Daddies?

The answer to this question will bring us the answer to the propriety of courtship as a model for a daughter's pre-marriage relationship with a prospective suitor. For the crux of the courtship question is not empirical, but principal. I define courtship as the discovery of a life-partner for a daughter under the direct oversight of the father. Any man seeking to beg, borrow or steal a daughter's hand without her father's endorsement is seeking to gain, in unlawful ways, "property" not his own. Daughters are Daddy's girls in the objective sense, and this particular daughter rejoices in that truth. I am owned by my father. If someone is interested in me, he should see him.

This might sound harsh. "Ownership" makes some cringe. Okay, okay. So call it "authoritative stewardship." But for many, this is not much better. "What are you talking about? This courtship stuff may be nice (up to a point), and I agree that dating is unwise, riddled as it is with temptations--but hold it a minute there, sister! Are you saying that you're just a piece of property? How could you think of yourself in those terms? You need some serious help with your self-esteem there! Get real! Get with it! This is the 90s!"

Yes, it is grating to our ears. However, let's not dismiss the idea without examining its merits. The Christian worldview, informed by Scripture, functions as our spectacles. Through the Bible, we see the world as it is; and no part of life is exempt from God's governance. We want to live in accord with his law even if it means living in (uncomfortable) opposition to popular culture. Everyone committed to advancing God's kingdom must be prepared to live against the norms of unbelief. Culture and custom which begin with God's word will inescapably conflict with culture which begins with the word of man.

And the word of God teaches that progenitors have certain rights. Let's use that as our major premise and construct a syllogism. Major premise: The creator of something is sovereign over that which he created. Minor premise: God created all things. Conclusion: God is sovereign over all things. This agrees with Scripture: "The earth is the Lord's, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it, for [i.e., because] He has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the rivers" (Psalm 24:1). God created it; therefore, he has full authority over it.

This same truth is variously expressed in Scripture: "Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own. . . ?" (Mat. 20:15). The potter (Rom. 9:21) has a right to do with his creations as he sees fit. Put another way, to generate something is to have an implicit sovereignty over it. We happily concede the fact that human ownership is always second order ownership under God, the only absolute Sovereign. Nevertheless, God has made explicit his will that parents, as the immediate generative source of individuals, are to be revered for that very fact, and the rights of parents are to be honored, by children and society. (It is not to be wondered at that our generation speaks only of women's rights and children's rights, whereas the Scripture speaks of God's rights and parents' rights.)

I don't feel qualified to discuss the role of sons, but it seems clear that there is a peculiar relationship between the father and the daughter. Since a daughter is, by the grace of God, always under authority--there being a transfer at marriage from a father's to a husband's--daughters are "Daddy's" uniquely. While he must raise his sons to be loving husbands and fathers who make houses possible, he raises his daughters to be submissive, godly wives and wise mothers, to make houses homes. He raises a son to be a provider; he raises a daughter to be provided for.

Proud independence is no noble goal for a woman, and the spirit which pursues it is no part of a godly girl's trousseau. Of course, those who exalt independence, denying headship to a husband, will certainly deny it to a father. Thus, they find the idea of courtship offensive. But those who acknowledge that God's way is right (Luke 7:29, 35) find the idea of "authoritative stewardship" quite pleasant!

The very first question of the Heidelberg Catechism is this: What is your only comfort in life and in death? The answer is matchless: That I am not my own, but belong, body and soul, in life and in death, to my faithful savior Jesus Christ. Sinners find this answer repulsive. "Not my own? That's no comfort! That means I can't do what I want!"

Well now, isn't that the whole issue? We don't want to feel like we're owned, because we want to do what we want to do. It's as simple as that. We know that whoever owns us has authority to determine our comings and goings, and each of us wants to be his own boss. It is thus no wonder that sinners cringe at the concepts involved in courtship.

But saints are those who are obliged to come to terms with authority structures which come from the hand of God. And because earthly authorities are themselves under God's authority, we acknowledge that no daughter is obliged to obey commands from any source bidding her to sin. Yet some would seek to use this concession by arguing, "What if God tells the girl to do something that her father doesn't approve of? What if, for example, the LORD reveals to her, through various signs and feelings, that she is to marry a particular man? Wouldn't God's will for the girl supersede her earthly, mortal, imperfect father's will?"

Simply put: No. As strange as it may sound, in the peculiar relationship of the father and daughter, God, as it were, takes a back seat. God has created a hierarchy such that the daughter is directly answerable to her father, and her father then answers to God. This doubles the father's responsibilities, because he must account to God for the way he raises his daughter.

The father's ownership, of course, is an in order to thing. God has given the daughter to the father so he can raise her in the fear and admonition of the Lord, protect her from harm and want, protect her from other men, and sometimes, protect her from herself, even from foolish decisions she might make on her own.

Numbers 30 provides help in understanding God's view of the father/daughter relationship. "If a woman makes a vow to the Lord, and binds herself by an obligation, in her father's house, in her youth, and her father hears her vow and her obligation by which she has bound herself, and says nothing to her, then all her vows shall stand, and every obligation by which she has bound herself shall stand. But if her father should forbid her on the day he hears of it, none of her vows or her obligations by which she has bound herself shall stand, and the Lord will forgive her because her father had forbidden her."

In that scenario, a daughter has solemnly promised something to the Most High God, who has no superior. The father then hears of this vow, and on the day he hears of it, forbids her, saying, "No, Miriam, you may not do temple service on the 15th of Adar; we have to visit our relatives in Be'er Sheva that weekend." And the LORD will forgive her because her father had forbidden her. So much, then, for "God told me to disobey you, Daddy." Throughout Scripture, daughters are given in marriage; they do not give themselves and they may not be taken.

If we're understanding this properly, just think of the impact it has on courtship. In modern "dating," the girl is seen as belonging to herself. Therefore, it's a logical conclusion that any man who wants to be romantically involved with her has only to ask her permission. But if it's true that the father owns (has lawful authoritative stewardship rights over) his daughter, then the young man must seek the father's approval. It's not simply up to the girl. This changes the tone of any relationship there might be. If it's the father who must give his approval, the young man knows that he is being watched, and he has to prove himself worthy. God has given fathers a lot of insight into the character, impulses and designs of young men. Flowers and sweet words might win the daughter; but Daddy's a man, and it's a lot harder to pass Daddy's tests. Further, a godly father is aware of his daughter's capabilities and needs, and can often see more clearly than she whether a young man is a complement to her and whether she can aid him in his calling. The order of God, as indicated in his word, is that God himself defers to the will of the father when it comes to his daughter. God says, "You heard your father. The answer is no." Thus, the will of the father regarding his daughter IS the will of God.

So I really am "Daddy's girl." And no man can approach me as an independent agent because I am not my own, but belong, until my marriage, to my father. At the time of my marriage, my father gives me away to my husband and there is a lawful change of ownership. At that point and at that point only, I am no longer bound to do my father's will. Instead, I must answer to my husband. If you read the rest of Numbers 30 you will see that this is the case. Notice that there is no intermediate point between Daddy and Hubby. There is no "limbo land" where the girl is free to gallivant on her own, "discovering herself" as she walks in fields of gold, apart from any defining covenant head, doing whatever she sees fit.

You might not sneeze in sync with your Dad, or laugh at the same jokes. Maybe you're exactly like your Mom, or an even mix of both your parents. Whatever the case, I hope you see that objectively, you are no less of a Daddy's girl than I am. My responsibility as a daughter is simple: to do the will of my father on earth, and in so doing, to do the will of my Father in Heaven. Courtship is but one instance where the rubber of Scripture meets the road of life.

Fairlight,

Mercy me, what an article. I sit around some days and grade all kinds of papers from my students who are often older than I am. Few and far between grasp the concepts you have wisely noted in this article. I find myself sometimes teaching dads who are almost twice my age as to why it is important for them to be a strong spiritual guide over the lives of their daughters. Few seem to get it though. And of course even fewer of the younger ones grasp this concept. I love your use of the Heicdelberg Catechism too!

What does one do though if their is no father to be a strong influence in anyway to a daughter? Where does that leave her? I mean I may be asking this rhetorically, but one of the things that I regret the most in life was my choice of a spouse and subsequent father for my children. It is a struggle. I will be honest, at the time I was young and bold enough to think that I could make up for his lack of any religious or spiritual beliefs. I myself did not have a true relationship of any kind with my father, so I think it was like a vicious circle of some kind. My daughter considers me to be her only parent, but I don't want her to think that is the optimal situation. I'm lost on this one....my son on the other hand, luckily, seems to have a true grasp on what it takes to be a man and lead a family...???? She is very strong and independent because she saw me have to be....I guess I'm not sure why it wasn't as clear to me then as it is now that a family unit needs that strong father figure, I just hope it isn't too late for me to make sure she understands. I want her to have that kind of relationship in marriage and for her children especially a daughter to get to be a daddy's girl so to speak.

Dr. K.R. Allen said:
Fairlight,

Mercy me, what an article. I sit around some days and grade all kinds of papers from my students who are often older than I am. Few and far between grasp the concepts you have wisely noted in this article. I find myself sometimes teaching dads who are almost twice my age as to why it is important for them to be a strong spiritual guide over the lives of their daughters. Few seem to get it though. And of course even fewer of the younger ones grasp this concept. I love your use of the Heicdelberg Catechism too!

I'm glad you like the article but I didn't write it. No author is credited because I couldn't find any name associated with the article. I read it and I was blown away by the wisdom it contained.

lights12 said:
I myself did not have a true relationship of any kind with my father

Neither did I, so I understand how you feel. I think the article portrays the ideal situation but I know a lot of women didn't have that kind of father. I'm not quite sure where that leaves us, either. :?

I do believe that a father's role in his daughter's life is extremely important....I think this article encapsulated the various reasons why. :)

Blessings,
Fairlight

For those who do not have fathers we look to the way it was done in the early NT era. The term father was used in two ways, physical or spiritual. An overseer or elder was a father figure to the sheep. Thus, this is why it is important today for people to be disciples or students or sheep with mature men they can look to for spiritual guidance.

Take for example Ignatius and his thoughts on this matter from the early church era. Ignatius (AD 30-107), a disciple trained under Apostle John along with Polycarp, revealed how things were ordered in the early church life era. For those who joined he said:

“Flee evil arts; but all the more discourse in public regarding them. Speak to my sisters, that they love the Lord, and be satisfied with their men both in the flesh and the spirit. In like manner also, exhort my brethren, in the name of Jesus Christ, that they love their women, even as the Lord the Church. If any one can continue in a state of purity, to the honour of Him who is Lord of the flesh, let him so remain without boasting; If he begins to boast, he is undone; and if he reckon himself greater than the bishop, he is ruined. But it becomes both men and women who join in a union to form their union with the approval of the bishop, that their union may be according to God, and not after their own lust. Let all things be done to the honour of God” (Ignatius to Polycarp, Ante-Nice Fathers, Vol. 1, p. 95).

Men and women who were disciples of the Lord in the NT often were without any parent after coming to Christ. Many were Jews and were thrown out of the home. Many were Gentiles and their parents were pagan and they too kicked out the newly saved people for being religious crazies. So many people were losing all they had when they came to Christ. Thus, this is where the spiritual overseers had a vital role to play. It was also one reason why when Paul gave a list of qualifications to Timothy and Titus on how to pick an elder he made it clear they were to be family men. He asked them how can a man who cannot lead his own family be a good leader over God's family (see 1st Tim. 3:5).

Thus, in those days a shepherd helped to guide people into holy unions. He was often the third member on the outside looking in to give his approval or not give approval after evaluating the maturity of the people seeking to be in a union. He was functioning in many cases like the physical father was in the OT or the third person objective family member who helped give insight into the situation for those seeking to be in a union.

Of course prideful people and rebels hate the idea of discipleship today and balk at it so in those circles it is not common nor loved. But it is biblical and very important. Those who are humble and walking with the Lord past and present understand the wisdom and value of it especially when they find how it can help them form a holy family and then to keep it together as well.

We can also see this clearly in the Bible where it says:

"But if any man thinks that he is behaving himself improperly toward his virgin, if she be past the flower of her age, and if need so require it, let him do what he will; he sins not; let them join. But he that stands steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, to keep his own virgin, shall do well. So then both he that gives his own virgin in marriage does well; and he that does not give her in marriage shall do well” (1 Cor. 7:36-37).

The phrase “let them join” has to be translated as a plural verb as it is a Finite verb, 3rd Person, PLURAL, Imperative (a command), active verb. This verb along with the masculine pronoun (his) shows there was someone in authority above the woman & man who were seeking to unite. In the early church the disciples looked unto the male spiritual fathers (who were sometimes physical fathers but at times only spiritual fathers; see 1 Thess. 5:12-13; 3 John 4; Hebrews 13:17; ). The physical family, brothers, sisters, fathers, etc looked to their spiritual fathers and those families for guidance in the life of Christ. Too, if 1 Tim. 3:2 means the elders were to be joined men that is also weight for the familial oversight of the early churches. The elders were respected family men who other families could model their lives after in their daily life. In many cases the virgins who were saved had no spiritual fathers over them for leadership and thus it was the spiritual fathers who were approving or granting these ladies into holy unions or at times rejecting the idea and leading the men and ladies in another direction.

*I think I'll post this over in the Problem and Solutions forum too as this is a real problem for many ladies who want to honor the Word and yet who are in tough circumstances where they do not have a spiritual father.*

Thank you Dr. Allen for your response, it helps quite a bit. I will help my daughter to think of all this, Thank goodness my son has his coach as a guide to life. he is a very spiritual man and is like a father to him. My daughter has just me still right now. It is a trust issue, I am trying to help her to understand she can trust!! I am going to have her read what you have written. again thank you.

Jen M

You are most welcome.

The author of the original post is Sarah Faith (Schlissel) Hodges.

Fairlight said:

I've been Daddy's girl from Day One. My first word was "Dada." I've always wanted to do what Daddy was doing, go where Daddy was going, read what Daddy was reading, say what Daddy was saying. We have the same sense of humor, preferences, pet peeves, strengths and weaknesses--even the same allergies. Little wonder people call me "Daddy's Little Clone."

But does this exhaust the ways in which I might be reckoned "Daddy's girl"? Beyond being an X-chromosome donor, may we think of the "-'s" in "Daddy's" in the possessive sense, and affirm with legitimacy that Daddy is my owner? That "my heart belongs to Daddy" is certainly true. But do daughters, per se, belong to their Daddies?

The answer to this question will bring us the answer to the propriety of courtship as a model for a daughter's pre-marriage relationship with a prospective suitor. For the crux of the courtship question is not empirical, but principal. I define courtship as the discovery of a life-partner for a daughter under the direct oversight of the father. Any man seeking to beg, borrow or steal a daughter's hand without her father's endorsement is seeking to gain, in unlawful ways, "property" not his own. Daughters are Daddy's girls in the objective sense, and this particular daughter rejoices in that truth. I am owned by my father. If someone is interested in me, he should see him.

This might sound harsh. "Ownership" makes some cringe. Okay, okay. So call it "authoritative stewardship." But for many, this is not much better. "What are you talking about? This courtship stuff may be nice (up to a point), and I agree that dating is unwise, riddled as it is with temptations--but hold it a minute there, sister! Are you saying that you're just a piece of property? How could you think of yourself in those terms? You need some serious help with your self-esteem there! Get real! Get with it! This is the 90s!"

Yes, it is grating to our ears. However, let's not dismiss the idea without examining its merits. The Christian worldview, informed by Scripture, functions as our spectacles. Through the Bible, we see the world as it is; and no part of life is exempt from God's governance. We want to live in accord with his law even if it means living in (uncomfortable) opposition to popular culture. Everyone committed to advancing God's kingdom must be prepared to live against the norms of unbelief. Culture and custom which begin with God's word will inescapably conflict with culture which begins with the word of man.

And the word of God teaches that progenitors have certain rights. Let's use that as our major premise and construct a syllogism. Major premise: The creator of something is sovereign over that which he created. Minor premise: God created all things. Conclusion: God is sovereign over all things. This agrees with Scripture: "The earth is the Lord's, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it, for [i.e., because] He has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the rivers" (Psalm 24:1). God created it; therefore, he has full authority over it.

This same truth is variously expressed in Scripture: "Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own. . . ?" (Mat. 20:15). The potter (Rom. 9:21) has a right to do with his creations as he sees fit. Put another way, to generate something is to have an implicit sovereignty over it. We happily concede the fact that human ownership is always second order ownership under God, the only absolute Sovereign. Nevertheless, God has made explicit his will that parents, as the immediate generative source of individuals, are to be revered for that very fact, and the rights of parents are to be honored, by children and society. (It is not to be wondered at that our generation speaks only of women's rights and children's rights, whereas the Scripture speaks of God's rights and parents' rights.)

I don't feel qualified to discuss the role of sons, but it seems clear that there is a peculiar relationship between the father and the daughter. Since a daughter is, by the grace of God, always under authority--there being a transfer at marriage from a father's to a husband's--daughters are "Daddy's" uniquely. While he must raise his sons to be loving husbands and fathers who make houses possible, he raises his daughters to be submissive, godly wives and wise mothers, to make houses homes. He raises a son to be a provider; he raises a daughter to be provided for.

Proud independence is no noble goal for a woman, and the spirit which pursues it is no part of a godly girl's trousseau. Of course, those who exalt independence, denying headship to a husband, will certainly deny it to a father. Thus, they find the idea of courtship offensive. But those who acknowledge that God's way is right (Luke 7:29, 35) find the idea of "authoritative stewardship" quite pleasant!

The very first question of the Heidelberg Catechism is this: What is your only comfort in life and in death? The answer is matchless: That I am not my own, but belong, body and soul, in life and in death, to my faithful savior Jesus Christ. Sinners find this answer repulsive. "Not my own? That's no comfort! That means I can't do what I want!"

Well now, isn't that the whole issue? We don't want to feel like we're owned, because we want to do what we want to do. It's as simple as that. We know that whoever owns us has authority to determine our comings and goings, and each of us wants to be his own boss. It is thus no wonder that sinners cringe at the concepts involved in courtship.

But saints are those who are obliged to come to terms with authority structures which come from the hand of God. And because earthly authorities are themselves under God's authority, we acknowledge that no daughter is obliged to obey commands from any source bidding her to sin. Yet some would seek to use this concession by arguing, "What if God tells the girl to do something that her father doesn't approve of? What if, for example, the LORD reveals to her, through various signs and feelings, that she is to marry a particular man? Wouldn't God's will for the girl supersede her earthly, mortal, imperfect father's will?"

Simply put: No. As strange as it may sound, in the peculiar relationship of the father and daughter, God, as it were, takes a back seat. God has created a hierarchy such that the daughter is directly answerable to her father, and her father then answers to God. This doubles the father's responsibilities, because he must account to God for the way he raises his daughter.

The father's ownership, of course, is an in order to thing. God has given the daughter to the father so he can raise her in the fear and admonition of the Lord, protect her from harm and want, protect her from other men, and sometimes, protect her from herself, even from foolish decisions she might make on her own.

Numbers 30 provides help in understanding God's view of the father/daughter relationship. "If a woman makes a vow to the Lord, and binds herself by an obligation, in her father's house, in her youth, and her father hears her vow and her obligation by which she has bound herself, and says nothing to her, then all her vows shall stand, and every obligation by which she has bound herself shall stand. But if her father should forbid her on the day he hears of it, none of her vows or her obligations by which she has bound herself shall stand, and the Lord will forgive her because her father had forbidden her."

In that scenario, a daughter has solemnly promised something to the Most High God, who has no superior. The father then hears of this vow, and on the day he hears of it, forbids her, saying, "No, Miriam, you may not do temple service on the 15th of Adar; we have to visit our relatives in Be'er Sheva that weekend." And the LORD will forgive her because her father had forbidden her. So much, then, for "God told me to disobey you, Daddy." Throughout Scripture, daughters are given in marriage; they do not give themselves and they may not be taken.

If we're understanding this properly, just think of the impact it has on courtship. In modern "dating," the girl is seen as belonging to herself. Therefore, it's a logical conclusion that any man who wants to be romantically involved with her has only to ask her permission. But if it's true that the father owns (has lawful authoritative stewardship rights over) his daughter, then the young man must seek the father's approval. It's not simply up to the girl. This changes the tone of any relationship there might be. If it's the father who must give his approval, the young man knows that he is being watched, and he has to prove himself worthy. God has given fathers a lot of insight into the character, impulses and designs of young men. Flowers and sweet words might win the daughter; but Daddy's a man, and it's a lot harder to pass Daddy's tests. Further, a godly father is aware of his daughter's capabilities and needs, and can often see more clearly than she whether a young man is a complement to her and whether she can aid him in his calling. The order of God, as indicated in his word, is that God himself defers to the will of the father when it comes to his daughter. God says, "You heard your father. The answer is no." Thus, the will of the father regarding his daughter IS the will of God.

So I really am "Daddy's girl." And no man can approach me as an independent agent because I am not my own, but belong, until my marriage, to my father. At the time of my marriage, my father gives me away to my husband and there is a lawful change of ownership. At that point and at that point only, I am no longer bound to do my father's will. Instead, I must answer to my husband. If you read the rest of Numbers 30 you will see that this is the case. Notice that there is no intermediate point between Daddy and Hubby. There is no "limbo land" where the girl is free to gallivant on her own, "discovering herself" as she walks in fields of gold, apart from any defining covenant head, doing whatever she sees fit.

You might not sneeze in sync with your Dad, or laugh at the same jokes. Maybe you're exactly like your Mom, or an even mix of both your parents. Whatever the case, I hope you see that objectively, you are no less of a Daddy's girl than I am. My responsibility as a daughter is simple: to do the will of my father on earth, and in so doing, to do the will of my Father in Heaven. Courtship is but one instance where the rubber of Scripture meets the road of life.

This kind of thinking is Right thinking.

I want to publish this all over the place. Girls should learn from this one. And fathers too.

THIS IS SO COOL!
I think this is how ideally marriages should happen.
This people in the videos I am about to show you, are listeners of Bill Gothard who teaches courtship, instead of dating.
Now, In the Bible, ALL marriages pretty much were through the father of the lady, meaning, ladies didn't just freely date or talk to guys, but a guy had to approach her father, if he wanted her. With some exceptions. Ruth, had no living father, so her mother in law, under whose authority she was, told her to go to Boaz, and she listened, and she came to be in the royal lineage. Another exception was Abigail, who was her own master, when her husband died, so David talked directly to her and not to her father.

So I think that a girl who lives under her father umbrella has her father as her master and protector, but this is different when the girl is out on her own making her own living and has no christian father. Anyway, male advice is good, I think, so women who are on their own do good in having a Pastor or godly male figure in their lives who can advise him regarding potential relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkTzk1oLX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJCH2HO ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70m_Z3x9 ... re=related
Enjoy!

God bless.

Back