• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dating Sites

Doc

Real Person
Ugh!

As if dating sites weren't already problematic, try adding in a layer of plural marriage!

Are there any really good ones out there for Christians? And if you believe in plural marriage, how much information is TOO much information? If you aren't up front about it, are you hiding it? Or, is it better to get to know someone FIRST, and then reveal Door Number Three?

thanks

Doc

I think it is better to study the Bible with them and when the Bible brings it up, get them to say with their own mouth they believe in polygyny. And then happen to mention your belief after they are adamant about it. Unless you are marrying a stranger then they would have to find out up front....

Speaking as a female who has been misled in the past by poly couples....I strongly urge you and anyone to be upfront with who you are and what you believe. The best bet, IMHO, is to go to a site for people who believe in polygyny. You'll experience far less rejection there. At least they won't be rejecting someone because they believe in polygyny.

Blessings,
Fairlight

I've found a few sites, but I'm kind of not so sure how good it is to use them....I mean, IDK, like you never know exactly who that person is. I guess just be cautious,

There are polygamy specific dating sites, but I have never used them.

I will take a little different tack than others here and say that unless you already have a wife there is no need to discuss polygamy up front. If you single there is no need to get into the deep things right at the start unless it happens naturally. Enjoy their company and work on your friendship with the other person.

If you are already married than I believe one should disclose this right from the start.

cnystrom said:
There are polygamy specific dating sites, but I have never used them.

I will take a little different tack than others here and say that unless you already have a wife there is no need to discuss polygamy up front. If you single there is no need to get into the deep things right at the start unless it happens naturally. Enjoy their company and work on your friendship with the other person.

If you are already married than I believe one should disclose this right from the start.

I disagree fully. If you intend to marry more than one wife and do not mention that until after you get married that is not going to work, unless you don't mind if your wife leaves out of her own free will after you take the second wife, technically it could be your first wife's sin if she leaves you after the second wife but I really do not think one should generally put her in that situation where she suddenly finds out you intend to take other wives after marriage. Of course if we lived in a society where polygyny was mainstream this would be different because it should be no surprise that....

DiscussingTheTopic said:
I disagree fully. If you intend to marry more than one wife and do not mention that until after you get married that is not going to work, unless you don't mind if your wife leaves out of her own free will after you take the second wife, technically it could be your first wife's sin if she leaves you after the second wife but I really do not think one should generally put her in that situation where she suddenly finds out you intend to take other wives after marriage. Of course if we lived in a society where polygyny was mainstream this would be different because it should be no surprise that....

Wow, I agree with DTT.
I couldn't imagine the betrayal if you knew your husband intended this all along.

Bels

Isabella said:
DiscussingTheTopic said:

Wow, I agree with DTT.
I couldn't imagine the betrayal if you knew your husband intended this all along.

Bels

However maybe you do not have to say to every person 5 minutes after meeting them, "Hello I believe in Biblical polygyny so if we get married I might get a second wife," but you would want to mention that before the marriage somewhere.

John Whitten said:
I don't think you read Mr. Nystrom's post carefully enough.

True enough, he said up front, but I will say there is a case for a point where it is too late, when it becomes a betrayal even before a wedding date is set, when feelings get into it and you start to have expectations that a relationship is going somewhere that is too late.

Bels

Swinging the topic baaaaaccccckk.....

Any suggestions on the best way to have the plural marriage discussion for singles?

Doc

Ugh!

As if dating sites weren't already problematic, try adding in a layer of plural marriage!

Are there any really good ones out there for Christians? And if you believe in plural marriage, how much information is TOO much information? If you aren't up front about it, are you hiding it? Or, is it better to get to know someone FIRST, and then reveal Door Number Three?

thanks

Doc
The original question!

"Swinging the topic baaaaaccccckk.....

Any suggestions on the best way to have the plural marriage discussion for singles?

Doc"

I think one of the best ways would be to share the gospel. Reading the scriptures together is a good thing to do and much cheaper than diner and a movie ; ).

Use the early dating times to determine if she is even compatible with you. A divorce lawyer I know has this to say: "Opposites do attract, but what they attract most is divorce." Once you have determined that you are compatible then you need to determine if she feels the same way. At this point the two of you might be starting to fall in love. Personally I think this is the best time to study marriage together based on the scriptures. She will notice what the Bible has to say about it and you will have the opportunity to bring up your opinions based on the scriptures. Here is where you find out if the cultural barriers as well as the ingrained church doctrine can be overcome...just my two cents...

...if you believe in plural marriage, how much information is TOO much information? If you aren't up front about it, are you hiding it? Or, is it better to get to know someone FIRST, and then reveal Door Number Three?

This is where I contend that the proper foundation is key. I know from difficult experience that when Yahushua says the "world will hate you" for "My sake" He is referring to a 'church' which has tried since at least the 4th century to teach that His Word matters less than what men (and popes) say about it. Either He "changes not", and that INCLUDES what He Wrote about marriage - or He is a liar, and the "doctrines of men" matter more than His commandments.

I do my very best to be consistent in every 'on-line' interaction I have, and in any 'profiles' which are put up on such sites. I frequently reference key verses, like Matthew 5:17-19, which say that "not one yod or tiddle" of His 'teaching and instruction' (that's "torah" throughout Scripture, and THAT too is a good topic for early discussion!) have EVER "passed away" - because we can see that "heaven and earth" still exist!

John 5:47 applies here, too! Any potential "helpmeet" who will NOT believe His Writings is not going to believe "my words", either.

And I don't try to delude myself, or any woman ("chemistry" or not) into thinking that we could be "compatible" if we cannot agree on "Who we serve". My sex appeal and charm are not sufficient to overcome the heart of a woman who ultimately is not obedient FIRST to Him. Yes, I, too, once did not believe what I now know to be True. I am completely willing to recognize that others have, can, and WILL follow the same Path that I did to come to know Him, and believe that His Word - ALL of it, as originally Written! - is True, and applies to us today. But we are given the "parable of the seed", and SO many examples of people and marriages both desirable and not, for purposes of understanding and discernment. And ANYBODY who puts the "traditions of men" above the "commandments of YHVH" is going to have "trouble in the flesh" and in this world. And a 'wife' who will not submit first to Him will probably not listen to me, either.

Most women who are of even a remotely "Biblical" mindset seem to accept that what "society" expects in terms of dating and sex is at variance with what they already know, and may believe. For a man to express an understanding that sexuality should be confined to "marriage" -- WHATEVER that means! -- will not shock most such women. (Many may even have more 'husbands" than I do wives anyway!) And since I openly contend that what marriage really amounts to is a Covenant, and NOT a "licensed" contract before Caesar, that, too, is often a basis for good discussion of Scripture, and what society has done by its 'traditions'.

Any on-line ''profiles" that I have openly reflect such views, and WHY I hold them. Were I to "meet" a potential helpmeet on-line, early on I can direct them to my website, and to LOTS of audio information (podcasts, teachings, and both daily and weekly shows) that paint a consistent picture of what Scripture says, and why I believe Him.

I contend that very few "Christians" understand what Philippians 2:5 really means...because, as Jeremiah 16:19 says, we have been taught "lies" by our "fathers". The idolatry of "Monogamania" is only one of them, and arguably not even the most important. My "mind" has been changed. Those women who either already know Him, or are willing to "study for themselves" (perhaps with me, even) to "see if these things be True" WILL be convinced by His leading, not mine. What happens after that should also be placed in His hands as well.

It's not really about "saving time", or "leading someone on", or even being "honest". Again, someone who will not believe Him, and what He clearly says, is not about to believe me in spite of Him!

Polygyny, as an option for marriage, is simply CONSISTENT with what all of Scripture says. It is not "primary". Start with what matters most! A husband and wife who cannot agree on Who they serve will probably not be able to "walk in agreement" before Him, either.

Well said, Mark. The foundation of reverence and obedience to the Lord are foundational for everything in a believers life, particularly in spousal relationships. If we do not build our lives by His blueprint and on His foundation, the building of relationship will be askew or collapse.

yes, deception makes a really bad foundation for a marriage :shock:

Deception stinks, to be sure....but in the courting process, we rarely reveal everything all at once.

Even God doesn't reveal everything to us when we first get saved....we couldn't handle it.

You see, on a lot of the dating sites, especially the Christian ones, when you build your profile, they RARELY ever ask you what your beliefs about marriage are.

Anyway, just some thoughts there.

Doc

Back