• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Day of Atonement

You are cruel - but correct! :)

It's already the day of atonement here. The thing that makes fasting easy is distraction. Here we're in the middle of lambing so I can't completely ignore the farm for the day, even on a sabbath you have to rescue an animal. So I've lambed one ewe, and rescued a freezing lamb which gave me an excuse to cuddle up in a rocking chair with a hot water bottle and a little baby (why not, since I'm not doing other work today...) - only to have it die in my lap. Which was actually quite interesting, haven't had that happen before. My point is that if I had the freedom to truly take the day off entirely it would be far harder and I would feel more "sorely afflicted". Instead I can't help but have an interesting day. Sarah and the children, who do have the freedom to be bored and have to intentionally find things to do, are finding it more difficult!

This illustrates the problematic fact that these are seasonal feasts designed for the northern hemisphere and specifically around a farming schedule. They are difficult to observe in the southern hemisphere as stated in scripture, unless you were to forget the dates and shift it all by 6 months. Sukkot is soon, but there's no way we'll be camping for it, it's just not camping weather. It's supposed to be a late summer / early autumn event timed around harvest. And even the day of atonement would be far more afflicting in autumn, when you have less to do with livestock and are in the middle of harvesting everything so are surrounded by food.

I'm very impressed with our children. We never force the children to fast, but we do encourage it. 4 children fasted the whole day, and when it came time to eat dinner they stated they weren't hungry. The younger 3 struggled more (8, 7, 6yrs), so they had a glass of milk and then an apple at 3pm. Then at 4pm the youngest had a peanut butter sandwich too.
If you have children, especially if you homeschool, then you'll know that they basically eat all day. They're constantly wanting snacks and fruit (mine are obsessed with apples). They did really well today.

I'm very impressed with our children. We never force the children to fast, but we do encourage it. 4 children fasted the whole day, and when it came time to eat dinner they stated they weren't hungry. The younger 3 struggled more (8, 7, 6yrs), so they had a glass of milk and then an apple at 3pm. Then at 4pm the youngest had a peanut butter sandwich too.
If you have children, especially if you homeschool, then you'll know that they basically eat all day. They're constantly wanting snacks and fruit (mine are obsessed with apples). They did really well today.
It ends up a competition between the children to see who can last the whole day and beat their siblings. Each year more succeed!

Back