• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dealing with my jealousy 😞

Brenna

Female
Yesterday I realized something very important about my jealousy and how to have a better attitude about my husband and other women for potential spouses, I don't have to be ready now. I'm going to take baby steps towards it instead so that I am standing on a firm foundation if and when we do get another wife. The first step I need to take is controlling my temper when someone (namely my husband) does or says something that is inappropriate or just plain rude... Yesterday he called me Putin!!! I really got mad and bent out of shape. I suppose I asked for it by accusing him of getting up when I go to bed. I was particularly sensitive yesterday since it was my late son's birthday. But only yesterday morning I had the great epiphany about letting things slide off my back so that I don't feel jealous of other women, so how am I going to get from that type of reaction to welcoming another woman into our family... I really have to stop reacting to other people's bad behavior, it upsets me when I'm jerked sideways. Any suggestions on how to rein in anger and/or jealousy?

Gratitude is the best medicine for jealousy.

Trying not to be jealous by banishing jealous thoughts is akin to trying to stop thinking about elephants by telling yourself all day, "Don't think about elephants." It's worse than useless because by focusing on *not* doing it, you've inevitably done the very thing!

There needs to be a replacement thought. Gratitude makes the perfect replacement because it re-orients the mind toward God's blessings. It cheers the spirit, causing us to think of positive things which naturally dims the unpleasant things in our lives.

Trying not to be jealous by banishing jealous thoughts is akin to trying to stop thinking about elephants by telling yourself all day, "Don't think about elephants." It's worse than useless because by focusing on *not* doing it, you've inevitably done the very thing!

There needs to be a replacement thought. Gratitude makes the perfect replacement because it re-orients the mind toward God's blessings. It cheers the spirit, causing us to think of positive things which naturally dims the unpleasant things in our lives.
I was thinking that I should be thinking about making and seeing him happy even if it is with other people. Now a days they call it compression (I think that's how you spell it...), it just means not being jealous when you're not a part of what's making him happy right then. Being happy for your husband even when it's with another woman... I'm going to nail this and be all the happier myself.. it's a win win situation.

Goodness, I can relate to this issue so much. I struggle with not reacting to others attitudes, and though i'm not married, I've struggled with jealousy as well.

I don't even know if this will be helpful, but these are a few thoughts I have.

I've observed a tendency that I really dislike: it consists of telling women that jealousy is such a terrible emotion and that we should strive to be better people anytime we react negatively to something. Does that make any sense? Not really; and it just plain doesn't work for me. Especially when I felt that my emotions were justified.

After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that, in general, I didn't think negative feelings were abnormal. Feeling negative emotions doesn't make you a worse person than anyone else. Women were created to instinctually feel intense emotions. This isn't always a bad thing; it makes us loyal, caring, and nurturing. Naturally, it comes with downsides, just like anything in life.

Let's be honest, hating the idea that your husband is going to divide his love, attention, and resources with another woman is devastating. Particularly if you didn't enter into a marriage with the agreement that plural was on the table to begin with. Most first wives entered into marriage from the get-go under the promise that their marriage would consist of two people; they spent years building a household together, and they spent years thinking they were the only one their husbands wanted. Most misleading of all, they entered into a life-long commitment/marriage under that agreement. One that, biblically, they're now not entitled to leave. My heart breaks for women in this situation, and it breaks even worse when they're also burdened with being told that their very real and justifiable emotions make them not good enough...

Please understand that i'm not discouraging you in any way from wanting to become better or from wanting to gain control of your jealousy and temper. I'm simply pointing out that sometimes the advice we're given on how to overcome these feelings is unhelpful and often comes from people who have no first-hand knowledge of how freaking awful those feelings can be. Only leading to making us feel worse, suppressing our emotions, and then blowing up.

Something that helped put a dent in my attitude was coming to the realization that my emotions were normal and that I had reason to feel them. I'd suggest focusing less on not feeling these emotions and more on effectively communicating why you feel the way you do. And doing so with forgiveness in your heart for not only your husband but for yourself.

Just sweeping things under the rug isn't going to make you a "better" person. It's going to make you an explosive person.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you have the desire to change your behavior even on a day where you were justifiably more emotional says in itself that you're already on a path to improving.

Last edited:
Yesterday I realized something very important about my jealousy and how to have a better attitude about my husband and other women for potential spouses, I don't have to be ready now. I'm going to take baby steps towards it instead so that I am standing on a firm foundation if and when we do get another wife. The first step I need to take is controlling my temper when someone (namely my husband) does or says something that is inappropriate or just plain rude... Yesterday he called me Putin!!! I really got mad and bent out of shape. I suppose I asked for it by accusing him of getting up when I go to bed. I was particularly sensitive yesterday since it was my late son's birthday. But only yesterday morning I had the great epiphany about letting things slide off my back so that I don't feel jealous of other women, so how am I going to get from that type of reaction to welcoming another woman into our family... I really have to stop reacting to other people's bad behavior, it upsets me when I'm jerked sideways. Any suggestions on how to rein in anger and/or jealousy?

Goodness, I can relate to this issue so much. I struggle with not reacting to others attitudes, and though i'm not married, I've struggled with jealousy as well.

I don't even know if this will be helpful, but these are a few thoughts I have.

I've observed a tendency that I really dislike: it consists of telling women that jealousy is such a terrible emotion and that we should strive to be better people anytime we react negatively to something. Does that make any sense? Not really; and it just plain doesn't work for me. Especially when I felt that my emotions were justified.

After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that, in general, I didn't think negative feelings were abnormal. Feeling negative emotions doesn't make you a worse person than anyone else. Women were created to instinctually feel intense emotions. This isn't always a bad thing; it makes us loyal, caring, and nurturing. Naturally, it comes with downsides, just like anything in life.

Let's be honest, hating the idea that your husband is going to divide his love, attention, and resources with another woman is devastating. Particularly if you didn't enter into a marriage with the agreement that plural was on the table to begin with. Most first wives entered into marriage from the get-go under the promise that their marriage would consist of two people; they spent years building a household together, and they spent years thinking they were the only one their husbands wanted. Most misleading of all, they entered into a life-long commitment/marriage under that agreement. One that, biblically, they're now not entitled to leave. My heart breaks for women in this situation, and it breaks even worse when they're also burdened with being told that their very real and justifiable emotions make them not good enough...

Please understand that i'm not discouraging you in any way from wanting to become better or from wanting to gain control of your jealousy and temper. I'm simply pointing out that sometimes the advice we're given on how to overcome these feelings is unhelpful and often comes from people who have no first-hand knowledge of how freaking awful those feelings can be. Only leading to making us feel worse, suppressing our emotions, and then blowing up.

Something that helped put a dent in my attitude was coming to the realization that my emotions were normal and that I had reason to feel them. I'd suggest focusing less on not feeling these emotions and more on effectively communicating why you feel the way you do. And doing so with forgiveness in your heart for not only your husband but for yourself.

Just sweeping things under the rug isn't going to make you a "better" person. It's going to make you an explosive person.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you have the desire to change your behavior even on a day where you were justifiably more emotional says in itself that you're already on a path to improving.
Thank you, I appreciate everything you said, and I especially can relate to sweeping it all under the rug until I explode! I'd write more but it's late for me since I get up at the crack of dawn these days. Hope to chat again soon though. Hope you have a good Sunday.

Thank you, I appreciate everything you said, and I especially can relate to sweeping it all under the rug until I explode! I'd write more but it's late for me since I get up at the crack of dawn these days. Hope to chat again soon though. Hope you have a good Sunday.
Have a great Sunday :)

I finally just recently figured out that my husband really does love and adore me even though he's just basically non-demonstrative. I was struggling with wondering if he is just feels a sense of duty with me after almost 22 years, or, if he finds me worthy as rubies! I got my answer last evening and now, I'm shining bright like a rubies.. me thinks.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602234399404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602234399404.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20
I was thinking that I should be thinking about making and seeing him happy even if it is with other people. Now a days they call it compression (I think that's how you spell it...), it just means not being jealous when you're not a part of what's making him happy right then. Being happy for your husband even when it's with another woman... I'm going to nail this and be all the happier myself.. it's a win win situation.
It's called compursion not compression! 🤗

Definitely!

Thank you for this! I need to get this compursion to be programmed as my default! 😊

Back