• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Demographic Time Bomb - A Case for Polygamy

C

Cap

The demographic time bomb that could hit America

In 2017, the United States saw the fewest babies born in 30 years, a stat that produced a lot of hand-wringing.

But it turns out things could be worse — a lot worse. We could be Japan, whose unfolding demographic crisis provides some lessons for where America might be headed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2e2b8d308933

If one reads the article with an understanding of plural families it becomes obvious the solution. What do you think?

It's part of a solution, but you'd have to overcome 30 years of a society ingrained in selfishness and delayed adulthood. Those of peak childbearing years are increasingly self absorbed and see children as burdens, not blessings.

Re: Japan, they have many reasons for this issue, but I think one of the biggest is loneliness. I have not yet met a Japanese person who has lots of deep, meaningful relationships. In general Japanese culture struggles with intimacy and moving beyond 'friendly acquaintance' is incredibly difficult. Their dating scene is about the same from what I've seen and read, and add to that all the other issues... yeah. They need help. America's reasons, though, are quite different I think. Not that we may not end up in similar straits, but I think our issues have to do with more selfish motives, like you mentioned.

Reactions: Cap
It isn't just selfishness. This is the result of a decades long campaign to drive down birth rates and has infected every level of the public consciousness. The women in your church are likely to come down harder on you about having more than 2 kids than about most sins.

Engineered propaganda brought us here.

There are also a number of contributing causes that find their source in the contamination of our food and environment with harmful chemicals and are leading to increased miscarriages and lower testosterone.

And then there is the societal push to delay marriage, which significantly increases the difficulty in getting pregnant and reduces the number of children you can possibly have. This too is another place the church errs as they all encourage the young to delay marriage, live life a little first, get an education, etc.

So it all makes you wonder why now the idea of plural marriages are starting to become more of a thing at this particular time in history of God's progression towards the Kingdom of Heaven coming to earth.

Makes sense to me that Godly families are going to be a part of the foundation for the force of righteousness against the current evil. What better way than to establish the true structure of a family.

This is one of the defining issues of our time. How we deal with the population decline will dictate everything about the future of our society.
Totally agree Zec. It's already defining us!

I don't want to get on a libertarian rant, but the border wall issue (wait, why isn't Mexico paying for it???) and immigration, combined with historic lows in reported unemployment are harbingers of a future crux. Will we become increasingly like Europe and import our labor, or will we be growing our own labor force? Our Western culture hangs in the balance and we are fighting the wrong battles.

Fertility rate for white women plummets BELOW the limit needed to maintain the population in every single US state
  • Fertility rates for white women were low in every US state in 2017, but up in 12 states for black women and up in 29 states for Hispanic women
  • The total fertility rate for the US was 16 percent below the level of a population to replace itself
  • It was only higher than what is needed in two states: South Dakota and Utah
  • Experts say the reasons are likely due to South Dakota's growth in the energy sector and Utah's large Mormon population
Interesting in the article it says that South Dakota's birthrate is higher because of the economy, but Utah's is overwhelmingly related to polygamy. Mormons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...es-state-rates-black-Hispanic-women-rise.html

If you look at the stats from other sources, you will see that 2nd generation and beyond Hispanics begin to mirror the overall population (declining birth rates). The indoctrination is pretty serious.

What normal (i.e. not Mormon) people usually don't get is that Mormonism is split between a relative few pro-polygamy folk (the "fundamentalists" who identify with 19-century leaders like Brigham Young) and the vast majority (the "mainstream") who toe the line set by the current leadership in Salt Lake. But while the mainstreamers aren't "plygs" (the local derogatory term for Mormon polygamists), they certainly do believe in having plenty o' babies, as the leaders tell them to do.

In a state filled with people, nearly all of them white, who believe in reproducing — who are committed to leading the world in reproduction, as a matter of pride and also to not get fried alive by God for disobedience — in a state filled with such people, of course you're going to have a higher white birthrate than the national average.

But in case I'm not being clear, I'll say it again:
the article it says that [Utah's birthrate] is overwhelmingly related to polygamy. Mormons.
No — NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. The considerable majority of Mormons live in the stridently anti-polygamy world of "mainstream" Mormonism. But that culture still strongly urges people to have many children.

It's not a whole lot different from any Bible Belt Christians who believe in having large families. Utah just happens to have this culture uniformly and nearly everywhere in the state, rather than patchily or in pockets. AND the people pursuing it hold to the idea that a living prophet of God — sitting right there, in an office in downtown Salt Lake City — is directing them to do it. Not just one such man but an entire God-ordained hierarchy of leaders and its supporting bureaucracy, down to the people who are regularly dispatched to come and visit you in your home. Plus there are a few polygamists in the mix.

As noted in the article, anybody with more than 2 children is already beating the average. The guy who points to Mormonism doesn't mention polygamy at all. He doesn't have to.
Mary Kekatos writing for the Daily Mail said:
For Utah, the answer as to why is easy: its Mormon population.

'It's certainly from Mormonism,' Dr Kenneth Johnson, a professor of sociology at the University of New Hampshire, told DailyMail.com

'The concentration for so many Mormons in a state is why the fertility tends to be higher.'

Currently, nearly 63 percent of all Utahans identify as Mormon in comparison with two percent of the US population.

According to a 2014 Pew Research Center survey, Mormons were found to have more children than other US religious groups.

Mormons between ages 40 and 59 had an average of 3.4 children in their lifetime, compared to the national average of 2.1 among all Americans in that age range.

It's also the reason why Utah had the highest total fertility rate for white women in 2017.
I have brothers who raised their families in Mormonism. One has seven children, another has five, and neither is a polygamist.

With enough families operating that way, it doesn't matter what the others in the state are doing, you're going to see a high birthrate.

And since Utah is packed with white folk, it's the white rate that's higher.

When I say "neither is a polygamist," I don't mean they just didn't happen to participate in the sport. I mean they understood that polygamy will send you to hell. We're talking about mainstream Mormonism. The belief is in whatever the current leadership says, and since the late 1800s the word is no polygamy.

Look, I understand that no one outside their little world has a reason to care about their internal divisions. Even internally they'll deny a lot of this stuff. But if you want to accurately read the signals they put out then it pays to know these basics.

Last edited:
Fertility rate for white women plummets BELOW the limit needed to maintain the population in every single US state
  • Fertility rates for white women were low in every US state in 2017, but up in 12 states for black women and up in 29 states for Hispanic women
  • The total fertility rate for the US was 16 percent below the level of a population to replace itself
  • Experts say the reasons are likely due to South Dakota's growth in the energy sector and Utah's large Mormon population
Interesting in the article it says that South Dakota's birthrate is higher because of the economy, but Utah's is overwhelmingly related to polygamy. Mormons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...es-state-rates-black-Hispanic-women-rise.html

Sorry, was in a hurry this morning and didn't finish my thought correctly.

Interesting in the article it says that South Dakota's birthrate is higher because of the economy, but Utah's is overwhelmingly related to Mormons, hopefully reinstating polygamy is not too far behind to help them along the way.

SD.... It's not the economy. They don't know why. The article says the author 'theorizes'. But his guess just show's he knows less than nothing about South Dakota. The rural Great Plains state's missed the boom times and the bust era oil boom mostly missed SD. And in ND where it was heavy, most of the newcomers were men (single or families back home). It's likely due to it's largely rural character. Though there may be a movement afoot there that I missed. The real interesting question is why SD is positive and not NE or ND. Looking at the article there is no table of figures, but you can see on the map that all the Great Plains states have higher rates than surrounding; SD probably just managed to bubble to the top.

As to Mormon's, word on the street is their average families sizes have decreased substantially generation to generation. But they had a long way to fall so are still net positive.

SD.... It's not the economy. They don't know why. The article says the author 'theorizes'. But his guess just show's he knows less than nothing about South Dakota. The rural Great Plains state's missed the boom times and the bust era oil boom mostly missed SD. And in ND where it was heavy, most of the newcomers were men (single or families back home). It's likely due to it's largely rural character. Though there may be a movement afoot there that I missed. The real interesting question is why SD is positive and not NE or ND. Looking at the article there is no table of figures, but you can see on the map that all the Great Plains states have higher rates than surrounding; SD probably just managed to bubble to the top.

As to Mormon's, word on the street is their average families sizes have decreased substantially generation to generation. But they had a long way to fall so are still net positive.
Is there a size able under the radar influx of Hispanics to SD? Migrant working Mexicans and Central Americans are making their way to the darnedest places.

Is there a size able under the radar influx of Hispanics to SD? Migrant working Mexicans and Central Americans are making their way to the darnedest places.

I'm not sure. The Northern Great Plains have seen some illegal immigrants, but nothing like other areas of the country. This backs that up. Some of this is distance but some is that there just isn't much economic opportunity out there. I don't think we've seen the same sort of economic displacement by illegal's that has occurred in other regions of the country.

Another point here is that generally speaking these rural western states lag the rest of the nation culturally by about 10 years. And their rural agrarian economy means the social pressures are different. Not just the different character of the work, but the boom times didn't benefit these areas. So the social mood doesn't follow the same cycles as the rest of the country necessarily.

In my personal circle I have seen a lot of fertility issues. It has caused a great deal of concern. Yet, is this not an end times prophecy?

Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,

Ignoring the commands of God comes with consequences. And yes poly would help combat this problem...

In my personal circle I have seen a lot of fertility issues. It has caused a great deal of concern. Yet, is this not an end times prophecy?

I don't know of any such prophecy; but maybe I'm ignorant.

But I do know about the biology. A woman who waits to have children till her 30's will have a very hard time conceiving. A woman who starts having children in her early 20's and continues, will in her 30's get pregnant as easily as a young 20 year old. So the delay of marriage till nearly 30 years of age puts an unavoidable downward pressure on birth rates simply because those women are almost past their fertility window.

But I do know about the biology. A woman who waits to have children till her 30's will have a very hard time conceiving. A woman who starts having children in her early 20's and continues, will in her 30's get pregnant as easily as a young 20 year old. So the delay of marriage till nearly 30 years of age puts an unavoidable downward pressure on birth rates simply because those women are almost past their fertility window.

The dreaded infamous biological clock!

Sorry, was in a hurry this morning and didn't finish my thought correctly.
Thanks for being a good sport, Cap. I didn't mean to point all that at you.

Reactions: Cap
Back