• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dietary Laws

DaPastor said:
Although I do not believe that we are required to follow Dietary Laws from a moral perspective, I do believe they are still valid for health purposes. Share what you know regarding the health benefits of following God's dietary laws.
That isn't the reason Hashem gave those commandments. He said,
For I am the LORD your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. ... For I am the LORD who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy. (Levicitus 11:44-45, NASB)
I believe His food laws are primarily about teaching us to be holy and make right choices. If we think about whether we're eating what is acceptable every time we go shopping or prepare food we will carry that attitude with us into other choices we make in life. Sure, pork can give us Trichinosis, but we can also get that from Deer and other wild game that are clean animals. We can also get Salmonella from fowl, which are also considered clean.

He also said,
...they shall be abhorrent to you... (Leviticus 11:11, NASB)
You shall not eat any detestable thing. (Deuteronomy 14:3, NASB)
I can't wait to have one of my small children say to me, "Abba, is that acceptable to eat?" when we go shopping for food. Hashem has given us many commandments to protect us, but contrary to popular belief, His commandments about food protect our souls primarily, not our bodies.

How is it that His commandments concerning our diet are not moral? Are they then immoral? No, they are moral. They teach us how to discern what is right from what is wrong. The health benefits that come from eating according to His commandments are much more profound than many realise. His commandments teach us how to walk holy before Him and that's wonderful!

Genesis 9:3 -

3“Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. (see also Gen. 1:2-30).
The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

Matthew 15:10-20 -

10When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11“Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” 12Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14“Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.” 15Then Peter answered and said to Him, “Explain this parable to us.” 16So Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17“Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18“But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19“For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20“These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”
The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

Mark 7:14-22 -

14When He had called all the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear Me, everyone, and understand: 15“There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man. 16“If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!” 17When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. 18So He said to them, “Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, 19“because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?” 20And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. 21“For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22“thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. 23“All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”

Acts 10:9-16 -

9The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.” 15And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

Romans 8:1-4 -

1There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

I Timothy 4:1-5 -

1Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

I Timothy 1:1-17 -

1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope, 2To Timothy, a true son in the faith:
Grace, mercy, and peace from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
3As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine, 4nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. 5Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, 7desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm. 8But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.
12And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 17Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Hebrews 8:7-13 -

7For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9“not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. 10“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11“None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12“For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 13In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

I have lost 53 lbs in the last 3 months!

After having a revelation with a Californi health guru. Portion size (anywhere west of Turkey and North of Africa) has gotten outta control.

I had a piece of French toast yesterday then worked 9 hours teaching golf outside. Then I had a gatorade and a burger, 2 beers and bedtime.

lol

Only those two? It won't change the truth that God has revealed directly to me. I prayed about it and these are the scriptures God led me to. I have never put these together before, so for me this is 'directly from the throne room'. This is the bottom line for me. As I said in my e-mail to you, I have been there and done that and God has moved me on. If you really want to discuss the issue, then contact me privately because I do not want to offend anyone who chooses to stay with the belief that we should only eat certain things by beating this horse further. Sorry. :(

Be blessed,

Ray

Hello all!

I'm also one who believes that since the dietary laws preceded Moses (Genesis 7:2,8), were reiterated by Moses, and were followed by the apostles after the cross, that they are still in valid for today. I've read the discussion of Peter and his plain declaration that he had not consumed any unclean meat in the years (decades?) since Jesus' ministry. Peter also clearly believed the sheet vision applied to people, not unclean/clean foods (Acts 10:14, 17, 28, 34-35). For those who believe that it is now fine to eat any animal, I would like to ask you for your interpretation of Isaiah 65 and 66. Is that passage prophetic of the future? If so (or if not), how do you interpret 66:17?

Cecil, it's also nice to meet a fellow former SDA on here. I went through the whole vegan thing too and learned a few things about nutrition that might interest you. Let me know.

Anyway, this is my first post, so I'll look forward to our future conversations.
Joe

That was a great post, Joe. You mentioned the reasons why it isn't possible to use Peter's vision in support of eating a pork sandwich. This brings up a kind of sad story... you see, many years ago, when I didn't realise that eating pork was forbidden (new believer and church didn't teach me), I gave a friend his first ham sandwich. You see, Kashif had converted to Christianity from Islam and he was a guest in my home. After he took his first bite he laughed. At the time we were all happy for him that he was freed from those seemingly draconian laws that forbid "the other white meat". Now, I look back on that incident with an understanding that what I did was wrong.

First of all, Joe welcome to the site!

I used to believe in the abstaining from certain foods and practiced it for a time. However, God has enlightened me and I live in a higher place now. I have no problem with people who choose to live in the place of abstaining from those foods any more than I have a problem if God calls someone to a specific place for specific reasons, such as the place where Steve has been called to be like Samson. However, for me I am free, as Jesus has made me and I am fine with it. I prayed about it and looked at the scriptures in Isaiah 65-66 that you referred to and I see that God is speaking to hypocrites who pretend to restrict themselves in public, but devour and do evil things in ‘private’. I do not see these scriptures denying the concept that the dietary restrictions are lifted for those who can walk according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh. People who wish to keep the old law and live under its restrictions are certainly free to do so and I will not condemn them for their conviction. When it is time for them to be enlightened, then God will do so. I enjoy the freedom that God has given me and I will not go back for any reason, except that God ask me to do so. However, since it was He that enlightened me to the place of rest that I have entered, I doubt that He will do so, (Romans 14). I will leave it at that.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

Back